shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut question - bow tie effect on the *ends* of an oval?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
I posted this a little while ago but no one weighed in so I''m trying again (sorry for being a pest!).

I’ve noticed that the ends of my oval diamond have an effect similar to the bow tie in the middle of the stone. These areas don’t look “bad,” they just look different than the “crushed glass” sparkle more in the middle of the ring.

Every website I go to has these *perfect* ovals represented (they look like elongated round brilliants) and I was starting to think I’d bought a bad stone, but then I went to GOG’s side and the oval represented there looks just like mine on the ends. Here’s the link to the oval on GOG’s site, because I’m not describing this well at all: http://www.goodoldgold.com/oval.htm

You also can kind of see what I mean in the pictures I posted of my ring. Look at the first photo and the third picture down, the close up with the eternity band. Here’s the thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-pics-of-my-upgrade.38019/=

Now that I think about it, my original pear diamond had a flat/dark spot at the rounded end like this too. I remember Garry saying that the bow tie effect is really a reflection of your own hand; maybe that’s what’s going on at the oval ends too?

What do you think? Is this “normal”?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the effect you are seeing is common for ovals and is certainly nothing to worry about. enjoy your oval and wear it in good health!

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Belle - thank you so much! I just needed someone who knows about these things to tell me I didn''t buy a lousy stone! (Now I''ll have to find something else to obsess over... )

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol...something else to obsess over...hehehe....

enjoy that big beautiful oval dee jay!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results