shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Replicas of Settings-- Worth the Risk?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockcandy

Rough_Rock
We''re still looking for the perfect diamond, but have also started thinking about settings. We''re sure the center stone will be an asscher (sq emerald) in the 2.5-3 carat range.

We really like the Daniel K settings but they don''t sell them without the center stones, and we''d like a few modifications to the design as well. Our worry is that most return policies don''t extend to custom work (which we totally understand) but what if the replica doesn''t look anything like the original? The Daniel K "union square" setting, for example, attached below, is a very delicate and intricate piece, but I can easily see a replica looking clumsy and clunky.

I''m hoping you guys can share pictures of your replicas and the originals, and comment on your experience with the vendors you worked with to make them. Obviously, we''ll go with a high-quality shop and hopefully they will work with us to fix it if it doesn''t meet our expectations. But in general, how well have your custom replicas met your expectations, and how intricate were the originals you were trying to reproduce? Would we be stupid to try to replicate the Union Square (with a few modifications)?

Large_UnionSquare.jpg

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
That Daniel K setting is too gorgous. I am in the process of having a wax made of the setting I want (in fact I will go and see the finished product today). I think if you go with a knowedgable and skilled jeweler you can get the setting you want. After all, the wax is not permanent. I have sent mine back because there were things I didn''t like about it. You don''t have to go ahead with the setting until the wax is to your liking.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
It is important to work with a knowledgeable designer. It helps if they are also really, really good at what they do. Make sure that you don''t own it unless you agree it is what you wanted. They make the wax, and you yea or nay it. They send you pics all along the process and you get a chance at final approval. If you are worried that this won''t work, custom may not be the route you take. I think that as long as you do due diligence in finding someone reputable to work with who has reasonable customer satisfaction policies, you should be fine. Check out the Eyecandy folder, also there are several custom threads for one design house or another that have end result pics. Kaleigh had a beautiful ring done by Quest. Some hold for Leon Mege. I love Whiteflash myself.
31.gif
There are many others here who are capable of lovely work. I just can''t think of them all as I am fried by a long week of transcripts. Hope this helps.

shay

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too love that Daniel K setting. Nothing wrong with going custom for something similar or to make changes but do be aware that you will have something similar and not exactly like the a designer setting you may love. a lot of times it''s difficult for someone to recreate the aspects that make the designer setting what it is. anyway, several of us have had great success with Quest Jewelers including Kaleigh who has a daniel inspired piece. check out this thread

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
As Shay and mrssalvo mentioned I had my asscher setting done by Quest. I can''t say enough about the kind of work they do. Really did an outstanding job with my ring. I do not live in VA and worked with them via email and on the phone. I hope that helps you. Good luck and can''t wait to see your asscher once you get it. I also highly reccomend GOG for their asschers. They are stunning.

rockcandy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies. I think I''m going to speak with Quest and Whiteflash...I did a quick search and couldn''t find Quest''s website. Can someone provide contact info? Is there anyone specific you think I should ask to speak with?

Thanks again! We''ll keep you posted...

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I think the website is questjewelers.com. Hope this helps. I don't know who to talk to, but maybe someone else will chime in directly.

shay

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep it''s questjewelers.com. normally one of the brothers will answer the phone when you call. I worked primarily with Hap and I think Kaleigh worked with Pete, but I talked to Haun at times to. any one of them will be more that helpful...

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I talked to all 3 of them while working on my project -- all equally as nice and easy to have a conversation with.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I worked mostly with Pete, but also worked with Haun and Rose. Rose did the cad images. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh but don''t send Quest any emails through their online servers, they don''t respond...it sounds like the best way to work with them is via phone!

K''s asscher ring is just stunning, the detail work is magnificent!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results