shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

putri

Rough_Rock
Been looking around, reading, and going through different forums to help me with my search.

I found the following and need to know which is better. I am looking for something between .5-.7. My question is that the first one has a faint fluorescence and good symmetry. The second of course smaller lower color and clarity and very thick girdle. Is the first better despite the symmetry and the florescences? These two diamonds are from 1diamondsource.com. What are they like as a company? McGiverns has the .7 carat but not the smaller one. My coworker bought from 1diamond and I also read good things about McGiverns. Any suggestions? Are they quick to ship? I''m assuming the diamonds are not located there at their store since the same diamond is listed in two different sites?

Thanks!!

Weight: 0.7 carat
Lab: GIA
Shape: Cushion
Color: F
Clarity: VVS1
Cost: $ 2394
% Depth: 62.9
% Table: 56
Dimensions: 5.82x5.02x3.16 mm
Fluorescence: Faint
Polish: V.Gd.
Symmetry: Good
Comments: STK-THK
Cut: PREMIUM

Weight: 0.54 carat
Lab: GIA
Shape: Cushion
Color: G
Clarity: VVS2
Cost: $ 1368
% Depth: 69.2
% Table: 58
Dimensions: 5.40x4.26x2.95 mm
Fluorescence: None
Polish: V.Gd.
Symmetry: V.Gd.
Comments: STK-VTK
Cut: PREMIUM

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS!

It''s very hard to judge a fancy cut without pictures. A cushion is a stone that you really need to see or have a great pair of eyes looking at it for you. Some cushions have very large facets while others look like crushed ice. You can get anything from squarish to longish in your ratios. Sometimes a "bowtie" effect will show in a cushion. Whether that''s a good or a bad thing is up to you.

So what I can tell you... your clarity is REALLY high on both of these stones. You''ll be paying for a VVS listing when it will look no different than a VS or even an SI if it''s eye clean. You won''t be able to tell difference in the F and G colors, so I''d drop your search criteria to a VS2 G. That will allow you to get a bigger stone for your money.

You should check out the videos on GoodOldGold.com. They will show many different kinds of cushions so you can see which YOU like best. Then, armed with your new info, call a vendor who can help find it for you. You don''t have to live on numbers alone. Mark at engagementringsdirect.com has picked out amazing cushions. Check out the PS vendor list and try those sites. They will usually extend a discount to Pricescope members, too!

Good Luck!

Oh, and HERE is a link to MY cushion. It seems to be around your price range, too.
1.gif

putri

Rough_Rock
thanks for the info! your ring looks very lovely, btw.
how can i tell from a picture if it''s any good?
there are a lot of factors missing from a picture.
i think if i go the online route, i''m just going to have to trust the seller on the other end. yes?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
If you go through a reputable vendor and tell him what YOU like, he should be able to set you up nicely. The pictures I was referring to are not only "regular" pics, but also IS, ASET images. These pics are taken in a particular way that allow you to see (through color) the facet patterns, the symmetry, leakage, etc. These pics are a great help in judging a stone. But, like I said before, it''s really up to the eyes. I trusted my vendor enough to tell them what I liked and have them make the final decision. If you''re unable to see great stones in person, I would definitely have a good vendor guide you through your search.

So, start with the numbers, narrow it by pictures, and have someone in the know help find the perfect stone!
2.gif

putri

Rough_Rock
Here is a cushion that Ron from 1diamondsource.com found for me. It''s one of his items. It''s a .7 1:1.17 ratio F color VS2 no culet very good polish and good symmetry no fluorescence for $2359 cash price. It looks good and he said that it''s the best one compare to the ones I''ve requested through his website. The certificate said there''s a feather and I just emailed him to see where the feather is. What else do I need? I''d like a close-up 22x mag. and those pictures, the red ones, where you can se how the light goes through it but it''s prob. too much to ask, huh?

Has anybody dealt with this company? I''m trusting him to pick a cushion for me. I need some feedback before I can commit.

Thanks!

0.70CU_PIC.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
You definitely need more pics than just that one. You can''t tell much from the photo besides that it''s very white. It is not too much trouble to ask a vendor for more info. If the vendor seems irritated at your request, I would find a new vendor. The price is okay if it''s a good stone.

I have not dealt with this company. You could try typing in a search to see others'' experiences. Also, don''t feel like you have to commit to A company. It''s fine to go to two or three vendors and see what each of them can do for you. They aren''t doing you a favor by letting you purchase from them. You are doing them a favor by giving them your business.

2.gif

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with SomethingShiny, for fancy cut diamonds, you really do need to see them in as many lights and angles as possible. Also, go to a jeweler to take a look at cushions in your area. That way, you can get a feel for what you like and don''t like. I wish I could help you more, I know ppl here will guide you well.

putri

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. We''re looking at another vendor right now. Talked to Mark at engagement ring direct and he has one that is nice looking according to his eyes almost the same specs as the one we''ve been looking at from the first vendor and $300 less.

We''re waiting for pictures and thanks for the advice! I just always feel bad if I work with many all at once. It''s like cheating ya know :D

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
It''s not cheating. It''s being realistic!!
2.gif

putri

Rough_Rock
I think I''m ready to buy my cushion. Mark from Engagement Ring Direct has one that meets my specifications and he said it''s a great looking one. He sent me pictures.

The specs are as followed:
5.46x5.09, 1:07 ratio, .7 carat, F, VS2, has a feather but nothing to worry about, polish is VG, symmetry G, 65% depth, 63% table, and no culet or fluorescence. $2060.

I know the pics isn''t that great but from the reviews you gave of Mark, I really trust his eyes and he said it''s a really nice looking piece. Should I go for it? If yes, I''m off to calling him and making payment arrangements (never done a wire transfer before). Are there any final items I need to get? I don''t think I need an ideal scope or sarin. I think him telling me is a nice piece is good enough. Or do I need one for appraisal purposes? Actually I haven''t even asked if he has the options to send me those info.

Thanks!

vring069.jpg

putri

Rough_Rock
This is the side view...

vside070.jpg

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
If MArk recommended the stone I wouldn''t hesitate to purchase! He has found stones for countless PS''ers and they have all been beautiful. This stone definitely looks like a beauty!

putri

Rough_Rock
I just want to thank everybody who has posted questions and/or info on diamonds in general and cushion in particular. I received my cushion this afternoon from Mark at Engagement Ring Direct and it looks gorgeous. I almost changed my mind on the cushion since it seemed like it was a hard cut to purchase online (not being able to see it) but what I learned from this experience was that I just needed to educate myself about the cut and find THE person to be the eyes. From the message board postings I was made to check out a few vendors and from talking to them about their service and diamonds it seemed like Mark was THE man. The other two I worked with was #diamondsource and White Flash. Ron from #1 was very nice and patience and he probably did have a great item for me but Mark''s cushion reputation and the fact that he had a diamond that had almost the same numbers but less in price made me decide on ERD. Bob from WF was super informational. If WF had the cushion reputation I''d prob. buy from them than ERD but, they are known for other cuts and service. So it all boils down to reputation, which one has THE eyes for cushion.

Thanks for much for recommending Mark
36.gif
. He was very nice to work with. He was quick with the email and always there to answer my calls. Shipping was quick, literally money in their account item shipped out. He was very confident with his recommendation and that the cushion he had for me was what I wanted and more.

I can''t wait to get it set next week. It''ll be custom, so we''ll see. The drawing looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results