shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Cut question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Iwantacushion

Rough_Rock
Hello-

I am new to this board and am thankful for all the wonderful threads. I recently went to Chopard and saw the most beautiful cushion cut with micropave band- similar to the Harry Winston ring, but I think prettier! It was VS2, G color, 2.3 cts- and yes $67K! So, I am off to try and find a diamond that has excellent specs- and of course not pay the $67K. I want something around 2.8-3.1 carats.

My question- when I tried on the ring at Chopard, the ring looked much bigger on finger than my current diamond (2.7 ct RB).

however- in reading some of these threads- some are concerned with the size looking smaller (although it's technically larger) than a round brilliant. I am assuming the depth was very short.

Which brings me to the specs- I know from reading here- that lots of links are given, and it's all a matter of taste, but could someone kindly share an ideal type GIA cert for a cushion cut diamond.

I esp. want to know about table and depth. Are too big of tables not desireable? Does one want a shorter depth. Like many women where diamonds are concerned- size matters! So I don't want wasteful proportions.

Thanks

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is no "ideal" set of specs for a cushion like there are for a round unfortunately, it's really about your eyes. Instead, I would suggest calling Mark at Engagement Rings Direct in NYC. He is a fantastic man to deal with, does great custom work, and his prices are great. He will hand pick a winner for you once you describe what you are looking for in a stone. Many of the fantastic cushions that are on PS have come from Mark, including mine!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The very most difficult diamond to create meaningful specs for is the cushion varieties. There are more variations in this style of cutting than most others. Your eyes are going to be required, as specs just don''t do justice to the task. You could use the AGA Cut Class specs for ovals sometimes, or for rounds other times. Then too, you might find a superior looking cushion which looked good on the princess cut chart.

I looked into the creation of meaningfull cushion specs years ago and have never felt right about promoting one set of specs over another for this shape. I just don''t think it is going to help people enough and will create criticism of the specs for other shapes where they work much better.

Try to find a diamond between 60 to 69 percent depth. Too thin will look watery and too thick may look great but too small in visual size. Try to stay away from thick and very thick girdles along with avoiding thin and very thin ones, too. Don''t go out of your way to take a diamond with larger than a medium culet, or with more than medium flourescence. Tables can vary widely. Something from 57% to 64% may work nicely although there certainly are always exceptions to general rules.

These parameteres might help you a little and they are sure to annoy potential sellers who have something outside these numbers. Look at everything with an open mind and try to get some expert help once you think you have a diamond that is worthy. Keep an open mind until you have a solid buying opportunity.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
i'm kind of a novice in this area, but cushions are my fave as well and found this info somewhere on this site:

as far as depth and table, i read that good proportions are 59-64 (depth) and 54-62 (table). too deep or too short affects the light reflection. correct me if i'm wrong here cushion experts, but the depth and table should be somewhat proportional, otherwise you're paying for a huge weight that you don't technically "see". right? basically if the table is huge, the depth will be small = bad. same for the opposite.

i've learned from all these posts that an ideal cushion doesn't exist. (if only it were so easy...
14.gif
) good luck with your search!! the setting you described sounds like what i want too!!

eta: the experts beat me to the punch.
1.gif

Iwantacushion

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your responses! I instantly fell in love with the Chopard ring and am on a mission to find something similar.

I am in Orange County- California- so I feel a little uncomfortable about buying online and on the phone. But I will check the person you suggested.

Neatfreak- I love your diamond- it''s gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results