shape
carat
color
clarity

Could something like this work for a pear center?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
I had my "not so pretty" inherited pear diamond appraised today. It is 1.67ct, K, I1. Bigger than I thought, as included than I thought, but color was a grade lower than I thought.
1.gif
The appraiser said the cut was good.

I am thinking about making a custom setting for a RHR, and like the halo style but with sapphires, not diamonds.
This one is from faycullen.com. What are your thoughts about a sapphire halo in a microset?

And besides faycullen.com, are there good places to see antique styles online?

Thanks!

ideaforpear.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it would look amazing. Here are some sites to try:

www.nelsonrarities.com
www.estatediamondjewelry.com
www.stardustantiques.com
www.antiqueandestate.com

Happy shopping!!!
1.gif

PS, one more: www.rauantiques.com

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Are you pretty set on blue sapphires? I think that a halo of emeralds around a K colored pear would look AMAZING!!!!!
3.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Yum, I totally agree! (Think it''d be great with saphs, of course, but LOVE the emerald idea!!)

Here''s a round (K/L color) in an emerald halo from fay cullen.

fayembez.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Making the channel set halo with sapphires around a pear would be quite a bit of work... If your jeweler gets it right, both of you should be proud of the accomplishment
2.gif
It is feasible, but the examples of new pieces made that way are unusual as much as I know. One designer who does intricate channel work would surely do it. The pieces by Charles Krypell seem a rather close technical match to me.

Hopefully Platinumsmith or another jeweler posting here would care to clarify the issue.

99% of the difficulaty would go away if the sapphire rim would not be channel set, but prong set or pave and the sapphire accents would not be cut to the model, but rounds or some other calibrated shape. The look is not the same, granted that. Perhaps the closest appearence might be obtained by leaving a rim of millgrain on both sides of a bead set row of sapphires. Now that I am thinking of it.. having the metal under the sapphire pave darkened would acheive a super up to date look and keep up with the spirit of the deco design as well.

How bad does this sound ?

I know the picture below is somewhat aside topic, but it is the only example I have for a sapphire rim that sort of conveys the idea described above.

BlueMoonXXX.JPG

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2005 10:19:45 PM
Author: valeria101

Making the channel set halo with sapphires around a pear would be quite a bit of work... If your jeweler gets it right, both of you should be proud of the accomplishment
2.gif
It is feasible, but the examples of new pieces made that way are unusual as much as I know. One designer who does intricate channel work would surely do it. The pieces by Charles Krypell seem a rather close technical match to me.

Hopefully Platinumsmith or another jeweler posting here would care to clarify the issue.

99% of the difficulaty would go away if the sapphire rim would not be channel set, but prong set or pave and the sapphire accents would not be cut to the model, but rounds or some other calibrated shape. The look is not the same, granted that. Perhaps the closest appearence might be obtained by leaving a rim of millgrain on both sides of a bead set row of sapphires. Now that I am thinking of it.. having the metal under the sapphire pave darkened would acheive a super up to date look and keep up with the spirit of the deco design as well.

How bad does this sound ?

I know the picture below is somewhat aside topic, but it is the only example I have for a sapphire rim that sort of conveys the idea described above.

Thanks, everyone. I was pleased to look thru the rings at fay cullen and see that many of the center diamonds are of K/L/M (and even a P!)color in the platinum antique setting. Makes me think that my mom''s diamond can actually work for me since I only wear white metals.

I love blue-- and purple (my birthstone is amethyst)-- but not so keen on green.

Ana, I wasn''t set on the channel set stones... I just liked the halo. I was thinking more about a setting like FireGoddess'' new one, only with a colored melee. Does that even exist?
3.gif
It may not! I just did a search on "melee" and found no colored stones there.
6.gif
You are always very helpful and I really appreciate your reply.

Anyway, I am at the very beginning of this process, obviously. But trying to make a ring that will allow me to wear a diamond that has sentimental value.

Just thought of something-- I have little hands. Will a diamond halo around a 1.67ct pear be humongous?
33.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2005 10:56
6.gif
1 PM
Author: bluedawg

Ana, I wasn''t set on the channel set stones... I just liked the halo. I was thinking more about a setting like FireGoddess'' new one, only with a colored melee. Does that even exist?
3.gif
It may not! I just did a search on ''melee'' and found no colored stones there.
6.gif
You are always very helpful and I really appreciate your reply.

Just thought of something-- I have little hands. Will a diamond halo around a 1.67ct pear be humongous?
33.gif
I think a sapphire halo would look awesome, and I think it would be feasible to set them like they are in my new halo ring as long as they can get about 20 or so matched size round sapphires. There are 20 or 22 two point stones around my 1.5 ct pear (I can''t remember which).

Personally, I think the look with sapphires would achieve what I really wanted the ring to look like even MORESO than how mine came out - I wanted the halo almost to look like a flower with the round ends of the diamonds making a scalloped edge around the pear. The stones were too small to do that, but I think you''d have that effect with the blue stones showing up against the white metal, which I think would look AWESOME.

The halo around your stone would likely be somewhere between mine and Diamondlil''s in size, as my stone is 1.5 ct and hers is 2ct. I actually wanted 1 point stones around my pear, but they must''ve made a judgment call on their own cuz they put 2 pointers in. I can''t remember if Diamondlil''s halo is 1 or 2 pointers.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2005 10:56:1 PM
Author: bluedawg

Ana, I wasn't set on the channel set stones... I just liked the halo. I was thinking more about a setting like FireGoddess' new one, only with a colored melee. Does that even exist?
A bit ago https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-pears.27270/ had a pendant made with a rm of small sapphires around a pear shaped diamond...

Sapphire melee surely exists. You may need to insist on quality in order to end up with some bright blue sapphire bits, unfortunately. Here's what a parcel might look like (link)... not quite matched for size. These appear better matched
2.gif

I am quite sure any jeweler can source such little bits without much difficulty.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This pendant has just the right kind of sapphire pave I had in mind ! ... bead set rounds on black rhodium background:

10604.jpg

Without the black (actually, very dark gray) background, the shape of each sapphire appears clearly marked against the bright white metal - like distinct blue dots. Which is better remains a matter of choice: a beautiful example of sapphire pave on platinum is Camelia's pendant by Platinumsmith (here).

Either style would work wonders on a ring. I tried to draw the sapphires-on-black version below. Hope MaryAlaina does not mind seeing bits and pieces of her WF ring turned around like this
2.gif

BLUsh.JPG

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Valeria, your rendering looks professional, nicely done.

Bluedawg, this is the closest pic I found that has a pear surrounded by sapphires like your 1st pic.

kaereven.jpg

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Val, what you did to MA's ring looks great!!!
36.gif

Bluedawg, I think round sapphires around a pear for a RHR will be awesome.

FG, my halo is 1 point stones and shank is 2 pointers.

DiamondLil

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
If you are set on having sapphires pave set around the pear go for it! I think the idea is great.

A few things to consider that I think are relevent. Properly calibrated sapphires with a good cut are very hard to find. That is unless your a Swiss watch maker, as that is apparently where the good ones are going.

I think the halo will be the same on your small fingers if it is 1.5mm or 2mm wide but I think the affect of slightly bigger stones is worth it for the burst of colour.

You really must choose lively stones. Cheap shops are full of awfull sapphires and that is what we get used to, but the good ones really add some class. That''s why I like your idea.

Finding the right stones is the only trouble. Setting sapphires: pave, claw or channel is no different in sapphire than diamonds as far the setter will be concerned, but the better the stones cut and calibration the better the end result.

I like bright cut setting (scolloped) flower like design. That is the traditional and hand done with care and with good stones you can''t go wrong.

I think Val is suggesting two even sides, but pave set. This is a little harder, but not at all out of the question. I think the best examples are in watches. Hopefully someone has a link?

Depending on your budget and the relationship you have with your jeweller you can do both. You can start with even sides, and after a few careful hours, that can be later changed to a bright cut setting should you desire.

Looking forward to seeing the end result.

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
Ana, thank you so much for showing me what the ring would be like with a blue halo. I think I love it!

Tonysgeko, that is a beautiful piece of jewelry. Wow. (Your avatar creeps me out a bit, though
3.gif
)

Platinumsmith, I really appreciate your advice. I love the pieces you have made for other PSers-- so beautiful. Do you ever make settings for people from the States?
9.gif

I am not sure what you meant when you wrote this:

Date: 4/22/2005 11:41:33 AM
Author: Platinumsmith

I like bright cut setting (scolloped) flower like design. That is the traditional and hand done with care and with good stones you can''t go wrong.

I think Val is suggesting two even sides, but pave set. This is a little harder, but not at all out of the question. I think the best examples are in watches. Hopefully someone has a link?
Can you clarify (for a jewelry noobie like me)?

Thanks!

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
The old fashioned flower shaped setting where the outer edge contours the melee, are called scalloped setting or a fashion of these (the best ones) are called bright cut. Actually bright cutting is just a setting technique where the setter engraves a shiny scallop away. I hope you know the meaning of scallop in this context. Hope I didn''t just spell the seafood only.

It is hard to describe. The other style is like the seudo art deco pendant I made for cammilia that she posted here. It was fashioned to a sort off a watch design. That is an example of what I mean, but it is a larger scale.

I have done some things for people in the US. Actually none where I don''t know the person quite well. I think it is a bit too much of a hassle to deal this way across the world. For me it is fine.

I am sure it still confusing, but I hope this helps. It really isn''t difficult though :)

Phillip

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2005 7:58:50 PM
Author: Platinumsmith
The old fashioned flower shaped setting where the outer edge contours the melee, are called scalloped setting or a fashion of these (the best ones) are called bright cut. Actually bright cutting is just a setting technique where the setter engraves a shiny scallop away. I hope you know the meaning of scallop in this context. Hope I didn''t just spell the seafood only.
9.gif
Nope, I wasn''t thinking of dinner. OK, so yes, that really helped. I got it!
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results