shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like "A over T!" Sheila = woman, right?

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
and I''m not sure if I''ve got this one right but I''ve heard it said in the US ''I fell on my fanny''....well that''s your ''bum'' over here! and the other means something else entirely.

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
and some others....

engage - busy (as in the phone)
esky - drink cooler
mum - mom
nuddy - nude
pash - kiss passionately (like british snog)
grizzle - complain (see also whinge)
cracking on to - hitting on
''chuck a u-ee'' - make a u turn
root - sexual intercourse (not as in ''root for your team'')
wally - fool (nicer way of saying idiot)
blind - means very drunk
rubber - eraser

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/9/2007 6:53:17 PM
Author: isaku5
The spelling on this forum is stellar compared to that on many other sites.
36.gif
Yikes!!
38.gif
Oh, AMEN to that!!! I'm on another forum, and someone wrote how "anoid" she was at something and then went on to misspell it again - differently! - later as "anoied."

How do some people pass third grade with spelling that bad?!

One of biggest peeves is when people say "loose" instead of "lose" -- you LOSE weight, you don't LOOSE it!! I usually try to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that some bad spellings are just typos, but when you see the same mistakes over and over again ...
32.gif

End of my snobby spelling rant.

ETA: Mara, I'm from Boston, and I say "pocketbook" too. I can't stand the word "purse" for that purpose! I don't have too much of a Boston accent, but I do get made fun of for pronouncing "drawer" as "draw" instead of "droor" -- that one I will never give up though! My best friend and I were in New Orleans many years ago and we were doing pub trivia, and the answer to a question was "Star Wars" and my friend yelled out "Stah Wawz!!" and people literally could not understand her! It was so funny!
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL on the thong/flip flop thing. I got TGuy''s entire family into REEF flip flops. I just nearly died when his grandma came here and said she definitely wanted to buy thongs.

And then they always talk about single plug or double plug thongs........
39.gif
9.gif
39.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2007 8:21:57 PM
Author: ellaila

Oh, AMEN to that!!! I''m on another forum, and someone wrote how ''anoid'' she was at something and then went on to misspell it again - differently! - later as ''anoied.''

One of biggest peeves is when people say ''loose'' instead of ''lose'' -- you LOSE weight, you don''t LOOSE it!! I usually try to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that some bad spellings are just typos, but when you see the same mistakes over and over again ...
32.gif

ETA: Mara, I''m from Boston, and I say ''pocketbook'' too. I can''t stand the word ''purse'' for that purpose! I don''t have too much of a Boston accent, but I do get made fun of for pronouncing ''drawer'' as ''draw'' instead of ''droor'' -- that one I will never give up though! My best friend and I were in New Orleans many years ago and we were doing pub trivia, and the answer to a question was ''Star Wars'' and my friend yelled out ''Stah Wawz!!'' and people literally could not understand her! It was so funny!
9.gif
neither can I. I say "handbag."

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/10/2007 8:35:25 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 7/10/2007 8:21:57 PM
Author: ellaila

Oh, AMEN to that!!! I''m on another forum, and someone wrote how ''anoid'' she was at something and then went on to misspell it again - differently! - later as ''anoied.''

One of biggest peeves is when people say ''loose'' instead of ''lose'' -- you LOSE weight, you don''t LOOSE it!! I usually try to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that some bad spellings are just typos, but when you see the same mistakes over and over again ...
32.gif

ETA: Mara, I''m from Boston, and I say ''pocketbook'' too. I can''t stand the word ''purse'' for that purpose! I don''t have too much of a Boston accent, but I do get made fun of for pronouncing ''drawer'' as ''draw'' instead of ''droor'' -- that one I will never give up though! My best friend and I were in New Orleans many years ago and we were doing pub trivia, and the answer to a question was ''Star Wars'' and my friend yelled out ''Stah Wawz!!'' and people literally could not understand her! It was so funny!
9.gif
neither can I. I say ''handbag.''
For us, a purse (for females)/wallet (for males) is something you put your credit card, driver''s licence (we spell it that way, not license) and money in. A handbag is a bag that you sling over your shoulder that you put your purse, makeup, mobile phone (not cell phone), etc in.

And who can forget the great Aussie icon - the Speedos or as we call them, the budgie smugglers!

beachbound

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/10/2007 3:31:07 PM
Author: Harleigh
Hi beach,

I think I touched on the ''ain''t'' one a few posts above...I just heard my future MIL use it last week and it took everything I had not to comment...don''t want to alienate her even before the proposal, you know!
3.gif

I do say ''y''all'' all the time...I''m a country girl and have dated many Texans, cowboys, etc..., so I''m not sure if that''s how I picked it up or if I''m just flat-out lazy!

My mom would make my ex-boyfriend from Texas say nativity (he says NAY-tivity) and July (he says JOO-lie)...I think she just really liked when he said, ''Yes, Ma''am'' & ''No, Ma''am'' with a Texas drawl, to be honest with you!

My FF''s parents also say AM-ONDS for almonds (we say ALL-monds), PEE-CANS for pecans, etc...

My mom takes the H off of many words...Houston-she says YOU-ston. I dated a guy named Hugh for about a year...she would always say, ''How is YOU?'' meaning, ''How is Hugh?'' I finally just told her to call him by his middle name, which was John...it was hysterical! I know there are more, but I''m drawing a blank...

I find it''s easier to just try to keep my mouth shut!
emotion-16.gif
I live in Ohio, so I don''t know what my excuse is. I get teased over the way I talk constantly! Another thing we say here is "coke" in place of pop/soda. We speak with multiple words created into one. There''s a ton! The way I mixture of laziness and what I have picked up over the years too. A goofy family originated saying is instead of "excuse me" we say "meep me." Not really sure why, but it''s one of those things. I have all kinds of goofy sayings and expressions. Anyone ever use "it''s colder than molasses?" I use that one constantly!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/10/2007 2:44:35 PM
Author: kalispera
My biggest pet peeve is when people pronounce supposedly ''supposubly'' ARGH!
DITTO! and ''ammonia'' instead of ''pneumonia''

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
or ''suposuvly'' (i see suposubly is supposedly a bonified word, argh)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results