shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I have been noticing how in lots of posts people keep talking about "rose pedals" instead of "rose petals".

Is this an odd US custom like you guys have "erbs" instead of "Herbs" or is it just a spelling mistake?

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
bad spelling. Like "definately" instead of definitely.

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry. Double post.

*M*

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
definitely bad spelling on the rose petals
2.gif
1.gif

we do have herbs, i just don't know any. i think there were a lot more around during the 60's and 70's.
9.gif
10.gif

why am i so dry today?
37.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! That drives me insane! I keep getting an image of someone riding a bike with pedals made of flowers. And for the record, we do spell "herbs" with an h, but don''t pronounce the h.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/9/2007 6:43:48 PM
Author: belle
2.gif
1.gif

we do have herbs, i just don''t know any. i think there were a lot more around during the 60''s and 70''s.

9.gif
10.gif

why am i so dry today?
37.gif
I don''t know, but you are cracking me up!

*M*

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Prolly guilty of this myself. I''m a CHAMPION misspeller.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Nice one Belle!

Thanks - I kept seeing it and several times in the same post - which is when I started to wonder.

On the herbs thing, why is it pronounced with an "h" here and not in the States. Is it a regional thing where there are lots of people with french origins or is it just a different pronunciation like "aluminium"?

The things Pandora ponders at midnight?
26.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
The spelling on this forum is stellar compared to that on many other sites.
36.gif
Yikes!!
38.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2007 6:46:17 PM
Author: poptart

2.gif
1.gif

we do have herbs, i just don''t know any. i think there were a lot more around during the 60''s and 70''s.

9.gif
10.gif

why am i so dry today?
37.gif
I don''t know, but you are cracking me up!

*M*
hehehe....i''m glad at least someone is amused
31.gif

pandora, i guess we say ''erb'' so people know we are talking about a plant intead of a person.
34.gif

okay, i''m just making that up.
17.gif
i have no idea why we say ''erb'' martha stewart says ''herb''. when i first heard her say it (a loooong time ago) i thought i would try it but it never really *felt* right, so i gave up and went back to ''erb''

have you ever known anyone named herb?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/9/2007 6:36:01 PM
Author: poptart
bad spelling. Like ''definately'' instead of definitely.

*M*
ha, i just posted using the word ''definitely'' misspelled as you indicated. then i read this post and hurried back to edit it and it was too late!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora,
Thanks for asking the "erbs" question. I''ve never figured it out.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2007 6:52:26 PM
Author: Pandora II
Nice one Belle!

Thanks - I kept seeing it and several times in the same post - which is when I started to wonder.

On the herbs thing, why is it pronounced with an ''h'' here and not in the States. Is it a regional thing where there are lots of people with french origins or is it just a different pronunciation like ''aluminium''?

26.gif
thanks pandora
2.gif

i really think most people here pronounce it ''erb'' so it is regional, as in, this whole country regional.
2.gif
i think most people here also say ''aloo min um'' instead of ''al you min ee um''

our regionals would be more along the lines of ''caramel'' and pecan''. i''m from the west, so it''s ''car ml'' and ''pi con'' for me.
9.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Nice one Belle!

On the herbs thing, why is it pronounced with an ''h'' here and not in the States. Is it a regional thing where there are lots of people with french origins or is it just a different pronunciation like ''aluminium''?

26.gif
I think it is just a different pronunciation that has formed out of years of accent changes and different dialects springing up. We spell "aluminum" just like we say it though, without the extra "i" sound. Proper Queen''s English (am I wrong and ignorant in calling it that?), adds the extra "i" in the spelling as well, right? It''s sad that this really interest me. A lot. I am an English major, I am I am!! Anyone got something for me to proofread, lol!

*M*

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
In regard to aluminum and aluminium, I was having an argument once with a British friend about the correct pronunciation, and that''s when I realized that it''s spelled AND pronounced differently here and in Europe. We were both insisting that it was pronounced the way it was spelled, and we were both right!
33.gif

Have you seen the t-shirt "Poor grammar makes me [sic]?"

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Nice one Belle!

26.gif
Pandora, you''re not alone. "Herbs" is pronounced both ways here in Canada (silent h and aspirate h) and apparently both are acceptable.
33.gif

To confuse matters further, "aluminium" is also written and pronounced "aluminum".
4.gif

I''m certainly guilty of typos even though I usually proofread everything; however, the way I rationalize the spelling errors or typos is to remind myself that the info is more important than the spelling
20.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wary, not weary.
39.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.gif
1.gif

9.gif
10.gif

why am i so dry today?
37.gif
Ok, I almost inhaled my italian beef there.
9.gif
9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2007 7:38:34 PM
Author: Ellen

2.gif
1.gif

we do have herbs, i just don't know any. i think there were a lot more around during the 60's and 70's.
9.gif
10.gif

why am i so dry today?
37.gif
Ok, I almost inhaled my italian beef there.
9.gif
9.gif
oh, you ARE talented!
11.gif
9.gif

okay, i'm getting waaaay too punchy and i haven't even tipped a glass yet.
maybe it's deprivation quixonation
37.gif

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
A lot of times misspelling is just your brain writing down a homonym because you are in a hurry.

Sometime its not misspelling--they''ve really messed up the word because they have heard the word but not read it, so they write what they THINK they heard.

for example:
A younger co-worker made a comment about the star of Gone With the Wind--you know, RED Butler.

And another person always hated it when people did a certain thing; It was a pet PEE of hers

If you Say it you don''t get caught looking ignorant if you talk fast enough, but when you write it . . .
7.gif
you look silly.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I love word differences and it''s even more fun if you speak pretty much the same language.

We had an american exchange teacher for a year when I was in what you guys call high school and I call secondary school and he had a terrible time for the first few weeks.

He kept setting "quizzes" and wondering why no-one revised. A quiz is a fun thing you do in the last week of term, he meant what we call "tests".

Then he had no idea what people meant when they asked to go to the "loo".

Oh, there were loads - it was great fun, poor man!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2007 8:12:04 PM
I love word differences and it''s even more fun if you speak pretty much the same language.

We had an american exchange teacher for a year when I was in what you guys call high school and I call secondary school and he had a terrible time for the first few weeks.

He kept setting ''quizzes'' and wondering why no-one revised. A quiz is a fun thing you do in the last week of term, he meant what we call ''tests''.

Then he had no idea what people meant when they asked to go to the ''loo''.

Oh, there were loads - it was great fun, poor man!
They''re the same thing here but I think of a test as more serious. A quiz could be given during class as a surprise to the students and a test is something you study for. A quiz could be in the middle of a unit but a test is given at the end of that unit. Just my ideas...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"hooked on phonix werked fer me"
9.gif
Seriously, I have noticed the use of "pedals" instead of "petals" as well...glad to see someone brought it up! I hate being a member of the spelling police and always hesitate to correct someone! Good thread Pandora! (For the record I do not purport to be a member of the grammar or punctuation police, especially online, hee hee!)
9.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
My personal favorite, because we say it on here so often is "Congradulations!" Are you graduating from something??? Should be "Congratulations!"

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest...one of my minors, my master''s, etc..., are all in Language & Literacy, so that one tends to drive me batty!
32.gif

Harleigh

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My personal fave: DILEMNA. Why on God's green earth would anyone add an "N" to this word? Do they actually pronounce it as "di-lem-na?" Eeeerrrrrgh.

"Basicly" is another good one. AAAAAaaaaaaa!!!
40.gif

LOL at congradulations and definately. Definately is one of my all-time spelling peeves because it is sooooo painfully common! It actually hurts me physically when I see it.
14.gif

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/10/2007 2:00:48 AM
Author: Harleigh
My personal favorite, because we say it on here so often is ''Congradulations!'' Are you graduating from something??? Should be ''Congratulations!''

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest...one of my minors, my master''s, etc..., are all in Language & Literacy, so that one tends to drive me batty!
32.gif

Harleigh
I hate it when people say "Vunerable" instead of vulnerable. It''s now becoming very common in Australia to say that. What really bugs me is that news readers here are now saying it. GGRRRRRR.

By the way, to everyone outside of Australia, the correct way to pronounce this country is "Ostralia" not Oztralia. But Aussie is pronounced Ozzie. But to be a REAL Aussie, you pronounce Australia as "Straya"

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Some other favorites to add to the list of pronounciation peeves:

fridgerator instead of refrigerator or fridge

pitchers instead of pictures when speaking of photographs

kindygarten instead of kindergarten (definitely a teacher gripe!)

punkin instead of pumpkin (I think my mother does this simply to annoy me!)

And my all-time favorite...flustrated...not flustered and not frustrated, but flustrated!!!

Okay...I feel better now!
emembarrassed.gif

Harleigh

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2007 2:25:05 AM
Author: KristyDarling
My personal fave: DILEMNA. Why on God''s green earth would anyone add an ''N'' to this word? Do they actually pronounce it as ''di-lem-na?'' Eeeerrrrrgh.

''Basicly'' is another good one. AAAAAaaaaaaa!!!
40.gif

LOL at congradulations and definately. Definately is one of my all-time spelling peeves because it is sooooo painfully common! It actually hurts me physically when I see it.
14.gif
LOL...that''s one of my favorite sayings...God''s green earth!!! Love it!

Do you ever happen to say, "It''s colder than a well-diggers a$$?" I think I got that from my mom, who is from WI...not sure if that''s a location thing, but I seem to hear it a lot when I''m out that way!

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
41.gif
Oh and then theres.....
cuterlree - cutlery
wardrove - wardrobe
barf - bath

....and anyone who says things like....''yesterday I saw this huge, big monster''.
NO.....you saw a big monster, OR a huge monster.....not both!! (personal pet peeve)

I could go on for hours....except I''m scared I''ll spell something wrong...hehe....

shel

Shiny_Rock
miniscule instead of minuscule (correct)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results