shape
carat
color
clarity

Conflicted about DK re-do

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
So, I'm sure many of you are aware (and tired of hearing) that I'm working with DK redoing my ring

(My ring)
2011-12-05_14-36-24_2.jpg

He sent me one drawing that looked like this.
7730.jpg

I asked him to adjust the channel height so that more of the head was visible from the side. He told me he would send me a wax model, but instead did a test cast... This.
20141214_075717_1.jpg

I told him I was concerned about the profile of the ring being lower and asked him what he thought of bringing the channels up a bit. He said when he sent me that cast picture that he wanted to do another test cast because he wanted my ring to be perfect before really casting as we are using my existing rings gold...
So tonight...I was very surprised to get an email from him saying my ring was done?!?!?! He attached several pictures. unnamed__2__7.jpg

unnamed_35.jpg

unnamed__1__1.jpg

My concern is what I said in my last email to him, the profile is still awfully low compared to the original...maybe that was necessary to make the ring a little bit wider? But...I'm not all that thrilled that he didn't send me any wax models, or a picture of the final cast before approval. To me the new ring looks a little thin and fragile. I'm also concerned that because this ring is clearly shorter, it won't look right with my wedding band...

I'm not saying it's not a quality ring, I'm not saying it's not close to my original, but I kind of feel like I was left out of the important decisions, and it does worry me that it is shorter and thinner than my original.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thoughts?
I mean, that's very similar. did you ask him why he finished it without sending you the last photos? maybe he felt this is as close as he could comfortably get. Im sorry it leaves you uncomfortable, its always hard when trying to replicate something to the very last detail

suggestions? Have him ship it to you, I bet in hand these minute differences wont be noticeable.

unnamed__2__7_1_.jpg

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1419300219|3806184 said:
thoughts?
I mean, that's very similar. did you ask him why he finished it without sending you the last photos? maybe he felt this is as close as he could comfortably get

suggestions? Have him ship it to you, I bet in hand these minute differences wont be noticeable.

No I didn't ask him that, I literally just got the pictures. I did ask him if he could show me a pic of it paired with an anniversary band so I could so how much of the ring is visible from the side view. I know most people don't see the side view, but that's pretty much what I look at alllll day long.

So do you think I'm just being to picky?

Maybe it just looks a lot thinner because the hands holding it are bigger than mine?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooeemusic|1419300477|3806187 said:
thoughts?
I mean, that's very similar. did you ask him why he finished it without sending you the last photos? maybe he felt this is as close as he could comfortably get

No I didn't ask him that, I literally just got the pictures. I did ask him if he could show me a pic of it paired with an anniversary band so I could so how much of the ring is visible from the side view. I know most people don't see the side view, but that's pretty much what I look at alllll day long.

I edited my post too late, but I think that when you are trying to replicate something down to every last detail.... you catch every little difference, even if most people wouldnt

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1419300559|3806191 said:
ooeemusic|1419300477|3806187 said:
thoughts?

I edited my post too late, but I think that when you are trying to replicate something down to every last detail.... you catch every little difference, even if most people wouldnt

ha ha, I edited too late too, lol. And I know you are right. I guess I'm still just a bit heartbroken that my original is gone....I have to let go of the fact that nothing is going to be exactly like my original...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think you should see it in person, I think those slight difference will fade away when its on your hand and you aren't just staring at every little detail on photos

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am pretty impressed with how close he got, but I would address the concerns before it's shipped so they can be addressed before you get it. You probably will not get identical, I just don't think it's possible. And you might need to resign yourself to accept that the original is gone and accept that super close might have to do. But he got pretty darn close to the original, and I am betting pretty darn well made.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought the profile pics looked pretty darn close also, in fact, I think it's beautful. But obviously you need to love it. I would really consider seeing it in person first. Not sure why you didn't get a wax, but I am sure DK will address it if you ask him. It may be as Niel said, or it might have been a misunderstanding. But I am not sure (for me) a wax would reveal these minute differences (and I don't mean "minute" to minimize your preferences here); just that it seems you're looking at a tiny fraction of a mm difference which I wouldn't think a wax would be helpful in showing.

Definitely address any concerns with DK. He seems very focused on customer satisfaction, and having just received a ring from him this past week myself, I can say he went above & beyond to make my ring exactly as I had asked, and I am thrilled with it.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1419300799|3806196 said:
I do think you should see it in person, I think those slight difference will fade away when its on your hand and you aren't just staring at every little detail on photos

That's also a fair point....I'm just a change hater, that's all.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think it looks nearly identical, and I'm impressed by that. I'm sorry you're not sure about it! These macro shots are so magnified. But like others said, you might not even notice the differences IRL and it might even be more beautiful! And he used your gold, so special!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I think if you have it in hand might be a good idea not even to look at the old photos. Just try and enjoy the ring, don't go looking for differences or "flaws"

And yes I don't wanna make it sound like I'm minimizing your feelings. I absolutely get agonizing over ever detail, we are on PS, we often do that over our jewelry here. I just don't want you to look at too much negative and look past the fact that he did a REALLY nice replica for you. :)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Impressive replica!

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I can understand why the breakdown in communication might be annoying, but to my eyes the replica looks fantastic! I would definitely address any concerns with David, but I agree with the advice to ignore the macro shots and really give it a chance when in hand.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may be totally off base, but it sounds like feelings over the loss of the original ring could be playing a part in how you feel about a new ring... this one by DK or any other bench. It will never be the original, and no matter how closely a vendor duplicates it, you'll always be trying to find "flaws" because you'll always know it's not your first ring. I totally get that. Do yourself a favor and try your best not to compare ever 0.005 mm of every element of it to photos of the original -- you'll make yourself crazy. :wall: Unless the rings were literally side by side (and magnified 10x), no one will be able to tell it's not the original ring.

Honestly, I think it's pretty much identical to your old ring... like, I'm pretty dang impressed. Maybe you could look at this as an opportunity to have your old ring again -- only now it's a very well made version of it! :))

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
By the pictures though at a slightly different angle look pretty exact to me. I think it will be hard to judge until you have the ring in person. And with this know that it is not going to be exact but based on the pictures the differences will be negligible :love:

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone, you all make good points. I had my husband look at it and he said he honestly thinks they are almost identical. I also had David send me some pics of my ring with an anniversary band behind it so I could see if it would be visible in front of another ring. Then, I went a head and told him to ship it. I should have it tomorrow!

I'm sure you are all right that once I have it in hand I feel better about it, and I do know that my original is overshadowing the new on. It really is an impressive replica.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the way the new one looks better actually. Just something about the lines, it looks beautiful.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only "difference" is the center stone is not as high. I think this actually is slightly safer. I too like super high set stones, but this will actually be a little less "whackable."

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks very similar to your original ring ooemusic! It looks like it's as close as you can get…you seem concerned about seeing the side of the ring with a band, but looking at the pics I think it will be fine, the sides of the new ring are still pretty high. The center diamond looks just a tad lower, but if I'm being honest I prefer it that way. And keep in mind the side diamonds will now be set correctly, which I think will make you happy! I'm so sorry about your original ring, it is very understandable to be upset about it, I totally get it. But hopefully, over time, you will start to accept this one as "your" ring. Anyway, fingers crossed that you love it!!! :pray:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks very close. And I would wait till you see it in person before you get too concerned.

It looks really nice.

Michelez

Shiny_Rock
I agree - it looks amazing.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Gypsy and everyone else. UPS has my ring so I should see it tomorrow!

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Gypsy and everyone else. UPS has my ring so I should see it tomorrow!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh good, that'll make a great xmas delivery!!!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd have thought they were the same ring from your photos if you didn't mention otherwise. I think it's a very good replica of your original.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Well...I got the ring...and I have to say I'm not happy with the heighth. To me it feels and looks like a miniature of what I had. I just really don't like the lower profile. There is also some weirdness going on with the slant on one of the channels. One channel is flat the other slants to one direction and there is a rather large scratch on the side of it.

I really wish he had sent me updated pics along the way so I could have expressed my concerns prior to it being cast.

...now what do I do?

2014-12-24_13.jpg

2014-12-24_13_0.jpg

2014-12-24_13_1.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
You contact him and address your concerns in detail. Please understand that your original is gone. It cannot be replicated identically. Other jewelers are going to do their best to come as close as possible to the original.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
No I know it's not going to be identical I've accepted that. But, had he shown me wax models and casting prior to actually casting it, I would have said, the profile looks to low to me, can you just make the channels a little taller and the head a little higher. And the unevenness of the one channel really bothers me. I saw it in the picture he sent but two days ago but I figured it was the camera angle.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I think you either accept the new setting or you pick a totally different setting. I would stop trying to replicate it.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
I guess everyone thinks I'm just being to picky? I'm not saying I expect an exact replica I know it probably is coming off that way, but really I'm not. I really think I could be ok with it feeling like a miniature to me if the profile was a little taller, maybe even just a little taller head, and if the channel wasn't slanted. I will have to pounder this. I really don't think it's to much to ask to have a newly casted ring not have a deep scratch in it, is it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results