shape
carat
color
clarity

Columbian Emerald....thoughts pls

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!! I had thought it was fracture filled, but if they're selling a synthetic that's made to look natural (they do make synthetic emeralds with inclusions now), that's really bad. It either says they're trying to deceive and/or they don't have the gemologists with the equipment to be able to make sure they're selling natural stones. How scary is that? I wonder if you could complain about this somewhere, like the Jewelers Vigilance Committee (JVC). Well, let us know what the other jeweler says.

I would return it. I think the setting is overpriced for $1800 even. Even if I was getting a great deal on the mount, it would disturb me to give a company my money that practices such deception. I'm sorry, but I could get the materials on ebay for that mount for much less. 23 points of diamonds are not that expensive (two ten point stones).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so sorry but unfortunately not surprised. If you recall I made a comment about it''s clarity - that to me, coupled with the price, was indicative of a problem. In the gemworld you honestly pay for what you get. If something is cheap there''s normally a hidden (or disclosed) reason. You have to be an experienced gem hunter to sniff out the real deals.

I agree with everybody else - you can get platinum settings and diamonds at any time and most definitely for less that 2500, even 1800. I''m having a platinum and y/gold heavy gram setting made for £600 (about $900).

The jeweller''s assessment is, I would say, very fair (apart from the price). Raman spectography would show any fillers (and you normally only find these in labs). Fluorescence is an indicator of filling but not always. The rainbow pattern could be oiling but seeing flashes of colour can be indicative of filling also.

At the end of the day though, why spend that money on a lab grown synthetic? Don''t bother taking it to another jeweller - I think it''s been given a thorough going over by the one you just visited. He sounds like he knows what he''s doing.

You can buy the real thing if you take your time. Don''t forget though if you''re looking for a clean Emerald, you''ll be looking for a while and it will cost $$$. If you search on my name you''ll see my Emerald that is virtually eye clean and natural. It''s inherited and finding one like that now is very difficult.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/7/2009 9:18:53 PM
Author: rparker1998

Are there any ''natural emerald'' sites out there? IE Natural Sapphire Company......
Yep there are, or just request emeralds with lab gradings too.;'')

--Joshua

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
SO, now the question is: Do we keep the stone knowing it has the same chemical composition as an emerald and is indeed a true emerald, and that it just did not come from the ground and knowing that we at least got our $$ worth from the setting alone, or do we return it based on the fact that the vendor has obviously lied. We are certainly not purchasing anything further from this vendor.

Let me just add my vote to those saying, Absolutely you should return this and not reward a vendor who is either dishonest or clueless (to be fair, it''s possible your vendor thought it was natural and was gypped by his seller). Whether you''re happy with a synthetic emerald is a personal choice (people go both ways) but if you do decide to go that route there are tons of honest and knowledgeable vendors, many of them on PS, who will walk you through that and give you an identical ring with a stone that''s just as pretty for probably less money. And of course if you want natural then this won''t make you happy in any case...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d return it so quickly, it''ll make the vendor''s head spin. I refuse to purchase (or keep) anything from a vendor who doesn''t deal honestly with their customers.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Next time on "As the Emerald Turns".........

I will be seeing a credit for 1800.00 to my credit card. Returned the ring, 2 day express air along with a note that I would NOT be purchasing from this vendor again and followed that up with a phone call not once but twice. Once to Customer Service to inform them of the information I was told and then a second time to the "other number" to confirm the CS Rep notated the account appropriately.

I am half tempted to call and speak with a manager. I will be lodging a formal complaint on the website previously mentioned.

NOW, who can help me find a real Emerald?!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emerald Embassy seems decent. I spotted some nice ones on Mineralminers but will have to ask about the treatment.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you for returning that stone.
36.gif
I fret to think of all the people this place has scammed.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m pleased that you''ve returned it. That Vendor should be ashamed especially after they went to pains to tell you it was "natural".
38.gif

Just remember, when buying gemstones, you typically get what you pay for. So, if a deal seems too good to be true, it will be.

Hope you find something lovely.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Richard Wise has some beautiful emeralds on his webpage that I think would be very interesting for you.

www.rrwise.com

Goodluck!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 6:04:23 PM
Author: Sarahbear621
Richard Wise has some beautiful emeralds on his webpage that I think would be very interesting for you.

www.rrwise.com

Goodluck!
Just correcting the link. It is www.rwwise.com

Obviously, I spend way too much time checking out his website.
3.gif
9.gif

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 6:28:14 PM
Author: Fly Girl

www.rrwise.com

Goodluck!

3.gif
9.gif
Thanks Flygirl! I''m going to blame it that it is too early in the AM and I haven''t had coffee yet...but then again i''m on PS?!
27.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 6:39:14 PM

Date: 11/11/2009 6:28:14 PM
Author: Fly Girl

www.rrwise.com

Goodluck!

3.gif
9.gif
Thanks Flygirl! I'm going to blame it that it is too early in the AM and I haven't had coffee yet...but then again i'm on PS?!
27.gif
LOL. Well, we all know what is most important here, don't we?
11.gif

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
All,

Not much to add. Tourmaline Lover and Lovingdiamonds have, as usual, given good advise. A couple of points:

1. Fracture filling can be detected with the use of a loup, though it is not possible to tell the nature of the filling.

2. A rainbow pattern is not necessarily indicative of filling but it is of a fracture and often strain.

3. Appraisal is difficult. GIA credentials (or other accredited gemological credentials, CG, FGA) are a necessary precondition but not a sufficient reason for picking an appraiser. If its a jeweler does he carry the stone in question. Rule of thumb: If he doesn''t stock the stone, he doesn''t know the stone.

4. A free appraisal is worth what you paid for it.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too bad. But good luck in your Emerald search!! Have fun with it!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2009 12:29:07 AM
Author: rparker1998
MOre to come.....in....AS THE EMERALD TURNS.....

LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results