shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored Stone Christmas list?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks... I guess I''ll have to see when they come. If they don''t work, I won''t be heartbroken. The project would be a fun one, but not one I''ve been pining for. Thanks for the info, Chrono!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope I''m mistaken too, Novel. They are quite pretty for blue spinels.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the support about the tsav, guys! It was the chrome green square from Gemrite that I was having set by an Etsy seller. It was set beautifully and easily my favorite of my new pieces, but I noticed it was loose and rattling around in the setting, so I sent it back after just one day of wearing it to have the prongs tightened. Apparently it fractured yesterday while she was working on it, down an entire side of the stone, not even just a corner. It's very small to begin with (0.55, since the price was all I could afford). The Etsy seller is very apologetic and is actually sourcing another one from a friend who is a gem dealer/cutter to finish my ring. However, my concern is that the cut won't be nearly as nice as the precision cut one from John, and the color may be too dark/too yellow/otherwise not great. As for the broken stone, I'll contact John and see if he might be able to salvage it by recutting it into a small rectangular cut, maybe emerald or barion, if there's enough stone left. I was really devastated to hear about it though, as tsavs get so expensive and this one was just the perfect stone for me...small but really fine in color and cut, and affordable.

ETA: Doubly bummed because this is the 2nd stone that has broken during setting...remember that little indicolite I bought a while ago?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa Tsavvy! That''s quite the enviable list! I''m dying to see your Leon.

And my tanzanite is going in a mistral pendant in 18 rose gold, the only tweaks are more cut-out designs on the sides to give it more weight and presence. I told Sally to do what seemed best when it came to adjusting details to make it a pendant, so I don''t know 100% what it''s going to look like, but I''m sure it''ll be lovely.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’m so sorry JS but I’m impressed that the setter is really bending backwards in getting you a replacement stone because they are not obligated to do so. I’m afraid with a 0.55 ct stone that is damaged on one side will make it difficult to salvage. You might end up with something melee sized.

39.gif
I know that indicolites aren’t easy to set too.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chrono...yup, the seller is very nice and professional. I certainly understand that tsavs can be a bit fragile and that it happens to the best of them...(but why me?
39.gif
). I still think her work is lovely and would buy something from her again, but I might go with a bezel instead of prongs, because a loose prong was what got me into this situation. I chose prongs because I wanted to let more light in given that my stone was pretty dark.

Even if I could get a 3-3.5mm stone out of a recut, it would be worth the effort. I have a 3mm demantoid that I wear as a stacker, so a little tsav would match well. But of course I''d rather have my stone intact...I wish I could just glue it!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I seem to have two things coming my way...but one is in the works and one is hopefully on it''s way. Funnily enough neither is a Christmas present. The one being made is a graduation/wedding gift and the one on it''s way is just something wonderful a friend decided to gift me...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, JStar that''s awful.
8.gif
Were both gems snapped by the same person? I do hope that the Etsy seller manages to find you something equally lovely.

Ladies - looking at the above lists, PS is going to have some wonderful new threads coming up to Christmas! I can''t wait to see them. I''ve got about 6 things lined up to be set but probably only 1 or 2 will be ready for Christmas.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
LD - no, it was two different Etsy sellers, just some unfortunate luck. Both gems were square shaped, so I think this may be the end of my buying square shaped stones with sharp corners (i.e. Asschers are still on the table
2.gif
).

But if any of you know of a beautifully cut medium green tsavorite for under $200, please bring it to my attention. The one I bought was $140, and I think I''ll never find that price again. Perhaps the one that the Etsy seller is sourcing for me will turn out great, but I''m preparing for a less than ideal scenario.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have several projects going, from a splurge last week. I am also waiting for some other stones to be delievered, but local customs is a drag. I hate waiting! But I just got 3 stones I got in a Gemline auction (after over a month''s wait!) so I should be happy.

I guess no new Christmas project for me.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''m having my 5 ct Mastercutgem Zambian amethyst Link set into a ring with a pair of GemRite round chrome tourmaline side stones. Link The project is currently at a local jeweler.

I also have a pair of small oval blue sapphires from WildFish being bezel set in palladium as dangles from my new WF diamond and platinum huggies. Link They should be ready in mid-December.

And, I just got these gorgeous rock crystal briolettes in the mail today from Rough and Ready Gems. Link I plan to have my jeweler add a link, then hang them from my WF huggies.

In the meantime, I''m having fun shopping the sales!
3.gif

RockCry81401.JPG

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I just love briolettes, they are so pretty!

I''m really enjoying this thread. I have three stones so far that I need to find settings for as they will be christmas presents for family.

Laura

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Umm I have a few things coming!

A couple Red Hen pendants from Sally (though those are not for me!). My JKT key with a sapphire should be done soon.

I have a couple LOGR settings coming for my amethyst asscher and my aqua cushion.

I picked up Dan''s aqua asscher a couple days ago. Need to find a setting for that.

And I think that''s about it for now
1.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I like surprises for gifts, in general. However, my hubby does not feel comfortable choosing loose stones
3.gif
So I gave him a list of setting ideas for my current loose stones along with some vendors; the rest is up to him! We''''ll see if he manages to get anything done before Christmas though
3.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Sorry about your Tsav JStar, I don''t know the price of your original Tsav but Finewatergems has a gorgeous stone for $350, would the Etsy seller be willing to cover part of the cost of that stone if what she sources doesn''t work you, I am presuming she''s sourcing you another tsav at her cost, which is a very nice gesture by the way.
Can''t wait to see everyone''s new purchases.

Love the Christmas theme, red and green are my favourite stone colours, especially glowy ones.
36.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Aww, thanks LG, I saw that one too! It''s gorgeous but way out of my budget, and I just can''t spend any more these days than I already have. She is sourcing the replacement stone at her cost, which is more than generous, so I shouldn''t look a gift horse in the mouth so to speak. I''m just worried it won''t turn out as beautiful as the one I had. I was sure to mention the reasons why I liked that particular stone: medium chrome green with little to no yellow and precision cutting. Hopefully that will help her source find the right one for me.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I''ve got a Mahenge spinel from Gary on it''s way. After all the big stones I''ve been getting, I''m a little anxious about it looking small, but I know that''s just stupid. Here''s Gary''s photo:

230 front.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
the profile:

230 side profile.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 10:17:26 PM
Author: cellentani
I''ve got a Mahenge spinel from Gary on it''s way. After all the big stones I''ve been getting, I''m a little anxious about it looking small, but I know that''s just stupid. Here''s Gary''s photo:
Gorgeous, gorgeous, cellentani. You must post many pictures of your Mahenge. You know those stones have so much presence, it won''t look small at all...it will look stunning.
3.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 10:20:57 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Gorgeous, gorgeous, cellentani. You must post many pictures of your Mahenge. You know those stones have so much presence, it won''t look small at all...it will look stunning.
3.gif
Thanks Fly Girl! I was looking at everyone''s Mahenge spinels today, yours included, before taking the plunge. I just can''t wait to see this one, and I promise to take lots of pics.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 10:17:00 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Aww, thanks LG, I saw that one too! It''s gorgeous but way out of my budget, and I just can''t spend any more these days than I already have. She is sourcing the replacement stone at her cost, which is more than generous, so I shouldn''t look a gift horse in the mouth so to speak. I''m just worried it won''t turn out as beautiful as the one I had. I was sure to mention the reasons why I liked that particular stone: medium chrome green with little to no yellow and precision cutting. Hopefully that will help her source find the right one for me.
I hope so too Jstar!
12.gif

Cell I just saw that spinel on Finewatergems, nice purchase!
30.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You all have some real beauties there or on the way. I was toying with buying a EC tanzanite yesterday but decided to pass. I have NO idea what i want for Christmas. Other than jewelry I am interested in a 10" laptop (I am using DH''s right now to try it out) or maybe a Kindle or Nook. Decisions, decisions. At least I can enjoy your new pretties on PS.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty stone Cellentani. Check it for UV fluor when you get it.

I just got a precsion cut 1.5 carat eye clean Nigerian pink/blue rubellite in a round that I'm planning on setting right away. I'm also awaiting two more smaller colored diamonds. I've been very naughty.
11.gif

Unfortunately, I have a hard time capturing the color unless it's fuzzy. If only this was a colored diamond!!
31.gif

TLprecisioncutrubellite.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks TL - the spinel supposedly does fluouresce, but I don't have a UV light, so I'll have to find one. The color on your rubellite looks beautiful - is it a BK? jAnd how are you going to set it? I've got a small rubellite too, and I'm still looking for a setting.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 10:17:26 PM

I was wondering who had gotten that beauty! So glad it''s you Cellentani - though I''m jealous!
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2009 12:16:58 AM
Thanks TL - the spinel supposedly does fluouresce, but I don't have a UV light, so I'll have to find one. The color on your rubellite looks beautiful - is it a BK? jAnd how are you going to set it? I've got a small rubellite too, and I'm still looking for a setting.
Thank you Cellentani. Did you get the other one he had listed? I was thinking of putting it in my white gold empty LOGR legacy. It's 7.3mm so it fits.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2009 1:07:48 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 11/26/2009 12:16:58 AM
Thanks TL - the spinel supposedly does fluouresce, but I don''t have a UV light, so I''ll have to find one. The color on your rubellite looks beautiful - is it a BK? jAnd how are you going to set it? I''ve got a small rubellite too, and I''m still looking for a setting.
Thank you Cellentani. Did you get the other one he had listed? I was thinking of putting it in my white gold empty LOGR legacy. It''s 7.3mm so it fits.
Uh, my rubellite (BK) is only 5mm - hence the setting dilemma. I usually don''t go for such small stones, but I couldn''t stop thinking about the color! Hmmmm, I don''t remember any 7.3mm (and I''m sure I would!) - that''s a great size, congratulations! How does it compare to your other rubellite you got from him?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/25/2009 11:14:20 AM
Author: D&T
ok I''ll spill,
I just acquired this beauty... its a christmas/birthday/mother''s day present. I''ve been drooling over this for sooooo long and have tried to persuade other PSer''s on this beauty, but alas, it was meant for ....ME! since many know how much I
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
love concave cuts!- its finally time I get one from the Master himself.

I won''t get this until February though... maybe sooner (if my bonus comes through) but no rush as we have to save up for the Ritani inspired halo setting as well and Wink has this locked up for me until I figure it all out
2.gif
- THANK YOU WINK!

sapphirepink%20rh%201109.JPG
This is a beautiful stone!! Please tell us how the cut compares to your other concave cuts IRL. Congrats!!
9.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/25/2009 12:28:10 PM
Author: Novel

Date: 11/25/2009 11:39:08 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Yay Novel!!

Thanks, MTG! They're the below stones and I was thinking that if there isn't too much extinction (static photo...), then I'd set them (eventually) in silver lotus earrings. I loved the color and the price was right!
Oh those look very nice! And it seems very hard to find matched spinels. Hope you LOVE them when you get them.
9.gif

ETA: I tried to buy a set of Spinels but got the email yesterday that the vendor doesn't have any matched rough or stones available. So no Spinels coming my way this year.
8.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/25/2009 2:19:18 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Thanks for the support about the tsav, guys! It was the chrome green square from Gemrite that I was having set by an Etsy seller. It was set beautifully and easily my favorite of my new pieces, but I noticed it was loose and rattling around in the setting, so I sent it back after just one day of wearing it to have the prongs tightened. Apparently it fractured yesterday while she was working on it, down an entire side of the stone, not even just a corner. It''s very small to begin with (0.55, since the price was all I could afford). The Etsy seller is very apologetic and is actually sourcing another one from a friend who is a gem dealer/cutter to finish my ring. However, my concern is that the cut won''t be nearly as nice as the precision cut one from John, and the color may be too dark/too yellow/otherwise not great. As for the broken stone, I''ll contact John and see if he might be able to salvage it by recutting it into a small rectangular cut, maybe emerald or barion, if there''s enough stone left. I was really devastated to hear about it though, as tsavs get so expensive and this one was just the perfect stone for me...small but really fine in color and cut, and affordable.

ETA: Doubly bummed because this is the 2nd stone that has broken during setting...remember that little indicolite I bought a while ago?
OH NO!! I didn''t realize that it was that Tsav. I''m so sorry.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results