shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored Stone Christmas list?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anybody care to share? I'm hoping there will be a flurry of new eye candy here after the holidays!

My tanzanite pendant will be here soon after the holidays, and I'm hoping for a garnet from my hubby, but we'll see.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
maybe some can arrange all their red and green stones together =0
if they have a large enough collection.
36.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok I'll spill,
I just acquired this beauty... its a christmas/birthday/mother's day present. I"ve been drooling over this for sooooo long and have tried to persuade other PSer's on this beauty, but alas, it was meant for ....ME! since many know how much I
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
love concave cuts!- its finally time I get one from the Master himself.

I won't get this until February though... maybe sooner (if my bonus comes through) but no rush as we have to save up for the Ritani inspired halo setting as well and Wink has this locked up for me until I figure it all out
2.gif
- THANK YOU WINK!

sapphirepink%20rh%201109.JPG

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I may have picked up the blue spinel pair from Dana's sale yesterday... Hanukkah present to myself? I've never impulsed purchased quite that fast, but I've been wanting blue stone earrings a long time. I've also had my eye on a blue grey spinel for a pendant, but its pear shaped and I have pear shaped topaz stackers I wear pretty much every day, and I'm not into matching. BF would cover the pear spinel, I think, if I told him I wanted it. Would make his holiday list easier!

ETA: Should have refreshed! D&T, that stone is gorgeous! Way to go on finally getting it!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DT!!! You lucky lucky girl!!!!

I can''t wait to see that beauty! You have had quite the nice projects lately!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Hopefully my Andrew Sarosi ring will be done by Christmas. I''m thinking my BGD ring won''t be done until after Christmas, but who knows.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay Novel!!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 11:39:08 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Yay Novel!!

Thanks, MTG! They''re the below stones and I was thinking that if there isn''t too much extinction (static photo...), then I''d set them (eventually) in silver lotus earrings. I loved the color and the price was right!

spinellotusearrings.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color is really lovely!

I don''t think you''re seeing extinction, ovals sometimes do this half-and-half effect when the light hits at certain angles.

Can''t wait for pics!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thats what I was thinking, especially since it was so uniform. The other question is if they''ll just fade into my wild and crazy hair, but if so, then maybe I''ll just have to wear my hair up! I''m excited.

Sorry, turning this into the small talk thread, huh!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks ladies!!! I'm sooo excited for this gemmy
30.gif
I'm actually going to halo it...lol I don't have any halo... here is the inspiration ring that it will go in (only I think I'm going with yellow gold since my wedding rings are in yg),,, with my mockup of the gem in it..lol

ritanibellavista dt mockup.JPG

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh, love the halo on that one! I''m partial to the plain shank, too!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I bought too many colored stones before the holidays, so I don''t have much of a list. I do have a tiny benitoite on hold...and I may be looking for a tsav to replace the beautiful Gemrite one that I just learned was broken during setting.
39.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everyone's projects sound so exciting!
My Grossular is being set by JKT - I haven't heard much about it, but hopefully it should be done by mid-December!
36.gif

I have 2 empty settings being made, and a Jeff White asscher peridot, red spinel, or rubellite to set in one (or both) of those settings. One's a cushion shaped split shank halo, and the other is another variation on my baguette settings. Going to wait until everything arrives before I make a final decision on what goes where.
11.gif

And . . . I think that's it!
1.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/25/2009 12:28:10 PM
Author: Novel

Yay Novel!!

Thanks, MTG! They''re the below stones and I was thinking that if there isn''t too much extinction (static photo...), then I''d set them (eventually) in silver lotus earrings. I loved the color and the price was right!
OOOH NOVEL thats such a pretty gemmy, and the lotus earrings
30.gif
I''ve been contemplating about getting a pair. So I''ll be waiting to see yours
27.gif

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 1:21:09 PM
Author: D&T

Yay Novel!!

Thanks, MTG! They're the below stones and I was thinking that if there isn't too much extinction (static photo...), then I'd set them (eventually) in silver lotus earrings. I loved the color and the price was right!
OOOH NOVEL thats such a pretty gemmy, and the lotus earrings
30.gif
I've been contemplating about getting a pair. So I'll be waiting to see yours
27.gif

Thanks, D&T! I really wanted to set the rhodolite garnets from Rick that I was thinking about in the lotus earrings, but the combination of the modern looking opposed bar cut and the sweetness of the setting didn't make sense to me. Plus, BF's SIL is allergic to silver alloys, so it would have been gold, and thats expensive! I'm excited to see if the spinels will be a good option. I promise pics!

LTP, so many great projects coming! The split shank sounds yummy!

Jstarfireb, so sorry about your tsav!
38.gif
How unfortunate!

Oooh, I forgot, my Precision Gem tourm pendant should be ready in January, and so maybe there will be some holiday time sketches to see (and give input on!)!

ETA: my sister's PG tourm pendant. Right, its hers. Not mine. Getting it through head. Right.
19.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 11:14:20 AM
ok I''ll spill,

I just acquired this beauty... its a christmas/birthday/mother''s day present. I''ve been drooling over this for sooooo long and have tried to persuade other PSer''s on this beauty, but alas, it was meant for ....ME! since many know how much I
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I won''t get this until February though... maybe sooner (if my bonus comes through) but no rush as we have to save up for the Ritani inspired halo setting as well and Wink has this locked up for me until I figure it all out
2.gif
- THANK YOU WINK!

sapphirepink%20rh%201109.JPG

LOVE that stone. I actually got a quote on it last March, but decided to get my concave cut spess instead.

No gemstone presents for me.....holding out for a diamond maybe (?). By BF totally is keeping me in the dark, he really wants me to have no idea when it is coming....annoying.

I am starting my list for next year, but I don''t think I will get as many stones as I did this year. My first project is to set the spess.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 1:12:21 PM
Author: jstarfireb
I bought too many colored stones before the holidays, so I don''t have much of a list. I do have a tiny benitoite on hold...and I may be looking for a tsav to replace the beautiful Gemrite one that I just learned was broken during setting.
39.gif

What??? I missed this
32.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/25/2009 1:28:46 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker

Date: 11/25/2009 11:14:20 AM
ok I''ll spill,

I just acquired this beauty... its a christmas/birthday/mother''s day present. I''ve been drooling over this for sooooo long and have tried to persuade other PSer''s on this beauty, but alas, it was meant for ....ME! since many know how much I
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I won''t get this until February though... maybe sooner (if my bonus comes through) but no rush as we have to save up for the Ritani inspired halo setting as well and Wink has this locked up for me until I figure it all out
2.gif
- THANK YOU WINK!

LOVE that stone. I actually got a quote on it last March, but decided to get my concave cut spess instead.

No gemstone presents for me.....holding out for a diamond maybe (?). By BF totally is keeping me in the dark, he really wants me to have no idea when it is coming....annoying.

I am starting my list for next year, but I don''t think I will get as many stones as I did this year. My first project is to set the spess.
oooh, I have to search for your thread on the concave spess again,, I sooo love concave cuts
30.gif
I won''t have any more projects after this
7.gif
like indefinitely
39.gif
well I do have a pink sapphire eternity band coming from ID jewelry as well. but won''t be here for another four weeks though
27.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain DT. I spent my gem funds from my summer job, and I''ll be in school nonstop until graduation. So I''m at the mercy of my hubby for future shiny purchases
7.gif

Hehe, unless I start selling stuff
3.gif

Novel: Haha, it IS still your sister''s pendant huh? Good for you, I know i''d be sorely tempted to keep it!

IrisAccents

Shiny_Rock
Concave cuts are sooo beautiful- that sapphire is yummy!

I am still waiting to see my purple sapphire halo ering now that it is set- and **HOPE** I will be getting it soon! BF has been sitting on it for a month because his original plan (on Halloween) was foiled.
20.gif

I''ll share as soon as it is on my finger- and am also hoping to see lots of new colored stone treats after the Holidays!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
You know, I''ve been resisting making an actual jewelry savings fund, thinking that if I didn''t, I wouldn''t buy. Somehow, that only keeps me from getting stuff for myself, but I still buy for others! Clearly, I need to work out these issues.

And yes, MTG, its still hers. Sigh. For now. It does sit next to my bed on my dresser though, in its little box. I''m going to send it to JKT next week, before I get too attached. Or, you know, because I have to.
3.gif

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 1:39:35 PM
Author: IrisAccents
Concave cuts are sooo beautiful- that sapphire is yummy!

I am still waiting to see my purple sapphire halo ering now that it is set- and **HOPE** I will be getting it soon! BF has been sitting on it for a month because his original plan (on Halloween) was foiled.
20.gif

I''ll share as soon as it is on my finger- and am also hoping to see lots of new colored stone treats after the Holidays!

Kristen, you know its there and you''re just waiting? Woah. Good luck
36.gif
and dust! Can''t wait to see it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, MTG! They're the below stones and I was thinking that if there isn't too much extinction (static photo...), then I'd set them (eventually) in silver lotus earrings. I loved the color and the price was right!
Those look quite good for blue spinels...but you brought up a good point about the extinction. They look like the half and half extinction that I sometimes see when the wrong design is chosen for the stone. Is the culet pointed or a keel? I suspect a pointed culet. I'm sorry to say the half and half effect does not go away. I have one such stone purchased years ago that I've never set because it bugged me to no end. I thought this effect would go away and was common in gemstones but found out years later that it is not acceptable.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
D&T,

Richard Homer never took it off his website. I find that a bit strange
23.gif
. It is the 1.69 round. I have had a hard time getting good photos of it, but I am really glad I did a concave cut for this type of stone. It really maximizes the "glow."

It is so bright I have had a hard time finding the right setting for it. Plus, I know my BF is looking at 1 ct round stones so I don't want something that is the orange twin of my future e-ring.

ETA: I have 2 rings coming from Sally, one is for my sister and one for her partner. I can't wait to see those!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to threadjack, but Chrono, should an oval have a keel or pointed cutlet? I''d read about keel vs. pointed cutlet on a thread from Karl somewhere regarding ECs and princesses, but not for these shapes. And honestly, I have no idea. This was the only picture and it was such an impulse thing for me (which I''m still a little shocked by) that I didn''t ask for more pictures.

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
It will be fun to see pictures of everyone''s new stones and completed projects!

MTG -- are you having your tanzanite set in a mistral-style pendant? Did you ask for any tweaks to the design?

Lauren -- have you posted pictures of your red spinel? I remember seeing your thread awhile ago, but don''t recall the spinel you ended up going with.

#1 - A matched set of pink garnets (~5mm each) are on their way from Gene at PrecisionGem -- they are to go with a larger pink garnet that I picked up from him awhile ago. They are a lovely color and will be set in a plain metal double-bezel pendent for the larger garnet and dangly earrings with the smaller ones.

#2 - I have a variety of goodies coming from Barry -- more about that when they arrive.
31.gif
31.gif

#3 - The oval pink mahenge spinel is going to BGD to be set into a halo-esque setting. I was supposed to send it off a couple of weeks ago, but am trying to hand draw out my vision as well as possible for the oval spinel (please don''t cringe, Lesley, if you are peeking at this thread!!).

#4 - Lastly, I have my tsavorite ring coming from Leon -- it is near completion and I hope to see photos of it next week (his shop is closed over the Thanksgiving holiday so no pix this week). This is my first fully custom piece of jewelry and I''m excited to see it. I am also sending him my smaller tsavorite from Rick at Artcutgems and that will be made into a pendant -- either a simple halo, or it will dangle from a couple of bezeled diamonds. By they way, Leon and Rachael have been pleasant to work with and Leon keeps his vision within my budget.

I know I have a lot of projects at once - I was married last year and had a strict savings budget and was used to paying the mortgage by myself. Now that costs are shared, I decided to splurge on a number of things that I''ve wanted for awhile. A more strict budget will be implemented in 2010.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/25/2009 1:07:03 PM
thanks ladies!!! I''m sooo excited for this gemmy
30.gif
I''m actually going to halo it...lol I don''t have any halo... here is the inspiration ring that it will go in (only I think I''m going with yellow gold since my wedding rings are in yg),,, with my mockup of the gem in it..lol
D&T,
That''s lovely. Your stone is going to look amazing in it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/25/2009 1:57:06 PM
Sorry to threadjack, but Chrono, should an oval have a keel or pointed cutlet? I''d read about keel vs. pointed cutlet on a thread from Karl somewhere regarding ECs and princesses, but not for these shapes. And honestly, I have no idea. This was the only picture and it was such an impulse thing for me (which I''m still a little shocked by) that I didn''t ask for more pictures.
It depends on the rough material. Some are fine with a pointed culet, others do better with a keel. Remember also that diamonds are different from coloured gemstones. The purpose of diamonds is brilliance and light reflection while the purpose of coloured gemstone is colour reflection with a balance of brilliance.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/25/2009 1:12:21 PM
Author: jstarfireb
39.gif
This is dreadful...is the stone salvageable?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results