shape
carat
color
clarity

Color changing stone - worth an AGL service fee/ hassle?

Interested_in_Gems

Rough_Rock
I love gems, and I've been lurking here for a while - very interesting reading! Finally decided to get folks' opinion on a stone that i spent very little $$ on, and therefore not positive i want to go all the way with AGL/GIA fees. BTW, a local jeweller thought it was synthetic based on clarity. I do own several synthetic alexandrites, yet this one is different. Thanks in advance for your advice!

My apologies for the pics quality. Happy to provide more if my fellow gem lovers find this stone interesting. Thanks again!

20170123_color_changing_ring_4.jpg

20170123_color_changing_ring_1.jpg

20170123_color_changing_ring_3.jpg

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello! Do you know more about your ring? Like are the side diamonds real? Is it gold? If so, what karat? Looks pretty.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are quite a number of gems that change from green to purples or pinks...

Sapphire
Synthetic Sapphire
Garnet
Spinel.....

Is the stone super clean? Can you check under 10x loupe?
Some labs can issue a mini report which is cheaper but not detailed. The mini report would at least tell if it's synthetic or natural and if natural, what type of stone it is.

S

SparkliesLuver

Arcadian said:
If you're totally sure its an alex, but want definitive proof, then, its worth having the stone independently looked at by a high level lab. Go for a gem brief, they're relatively inexpensive.

+1

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BTW, the bulk of color change synthetic stones sold in the market as alexandrite are actually synthetic corundum, not synthetic alex.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1485264396|4118986 said:
Arcadian said:
If you're totally sure its an alex, but want definitive proof, then, its worth having the stone independently looked at by a high level lab. Go for a gem brief, they're relatively inexpensive.
+1
+2.

Interested_in_Gems

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your advice/info. I can't see any inclusions (bad sign), the main stone is flanked by two diamonds, the ring is unmarked but looks like the shank is yellow gold, the prongs are silver, and the base of the prongs (not sure what the right term is) is rose gold. I promise to post the ring to AGL for a brief and report back here. Fun, isn't it?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Good luck!

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Question about AGL/GIA testing:

Will they test all three stones? Or just the main one that you want tested?

If they test all three stones, then would it be three gem briefs?

I'm curious on what type of stone this one is!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can tell them it's just the center stone = 1 brief.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results