shape
carat
color
clarity

College Football Fans Thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey LAJennifer - I'll actually be in Huntington Beach for a conference (staying at the Hyatt Resort for the week). The conference is only 3 days - Sun through Tues, but hubby is coming with me and we're staying the rest of the week. I'm sure hubby will DVR the game. We enjoy our Saturday football days so much, and we'll have to waste 2 Saturdays in airports!

Oh - hubby and I went to Thunder Over Louisville this year (do you know what that is?) and I had on my Mountaineer sweatshirt, hat, coat, scarf, gloves and blanket. I thought people in Louisville might say nasty things to me, but all I heard was "Let's go...Mountaineers!" He he . . . I strutted around in my Mountaineer attire in Louisville.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2008 9:43:51 PM
Author: deegee
Hey LAJennifer - I''ll actually be in Huntington Beach for a conference (staying at the Hyatt Resort for the week). The conference is only 3 days - Sun through Tues, but hubby is coming with me and we''re staying the rest of the week. I''m sure hubby will DVR the game. We enjoy our Saturday football days so much, and we''ll have to waste 2 Saturdays in airports!

Oh - hubby and I went to Thunder Over Louisville this year (do you know what that is?) and I had on my Mountaineer sweatshirt, hat, coat, scarf, gloves and blanket. I thought people in Louisville might say nasty things to me, but all I heard was ''Let''s go...Mountaineers!'' He he . . . I strutted around in my Mountaineer attire in Louisville.
That''s so funny - that''s what I heard too, last season when I was at USC''s homecoming game against Oregon State (I was wearing a WV hoodie). We''re a rare breed, I tell ya.

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Well, its been raining in South Bend for about 12 hours now and we''re still about 7 hours from kick off with no end in sight. I have a feeling this is going to be an ugly game...

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
WHOA! Anybody watching Maryland/Cal? Jhavid Best just got his clock cleaned! He just puked on the field.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a college ball fan so much as I am simply an ND fan and today was a great day in our world. I have no affiliation with the school, just a good ol'' Irish Catholic girl whose father inspired her to love the school and the team.

Dockman, the rain proved not to be such a tragic thing...

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 6:58:50 PM
Author: KimberlyH
I''m not a college ball fan so much as I am simply an ND fan and today was a great day in our world. I have no affiliation with the school, just a good ol'' Irish Catholic girl whose father inspired her to love the school and the team.

Thanks, Domers, for beating Meeechigan. I love watching games in the rain - I miss weather.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 7:33:24 PM
Author: LAJennifer

Thanks, Domers, for beating Meeechigan. I love watching games in the rain - I miss weather.
The rain certainly made the game interesting. Rodriguez must be having a fit this evening with all those turnovers. May they continue when UM plays your team, LAJ.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are Wolverines!
29.gif

P.S. Actually, I don't follow college football and have never seen a game at the Big House.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 9:16:34 PM

I'm not a college ball fan so much as I am simply an ND fan and today was a great day in our world. I have no affiliation with the school, just a good ol' Irish Catholic girl whose father inspired her to love the school and the team.

The rain certainly made the game interesting. Rodriguez must be having a fit this evening with all those turnovers. May they continue when UM plays your team, LAJ.
Hi Kimberly - Michigan isn't on our schedule, but Rodriguez was our coach until last December. WVU was all set to play in the National Championship before our last game of the season (we were favored to beat Pitt by 40 or so). Our game plan wasn't working and Rodriguez refused to adjust and wouldn't call the plays the Offensive Coordinator was calling. It was the most crushing loss in the history of West Virginia football. He was feeling some heat after the loss - but WVU was chosen to play Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl (pretty good consolation prize).

Meanwhile, Michigan hadn't been able to hire a replacement for Lloyd Carr's retirement. Rodriguez's agent called Michigan and they had some secret meetings. Rod accepted the job - and called important recruits (that he had been recruiting for WV) and told them to follow him to Michigan before he told his own team he was leaving.

There was a clause in his contract that stated if he left before a certain date - he would owe WVU $4 Million Dollars. Now, I must tell you that Rich Rodriguez was born and raised in WV, and was a former player at WVU. He and his agent personally ran a smear campaign against his own Alma Mater, to try and get out of paying the money he rightfully owed. He drug his own school through the mud and press with lies and false claims that could have destroyed the program.

Leading up to the Fiesta Bowl - the crushed team without a head coach (Rodriguez is the only coach ever to make it to a BCS Bowl and not coach it) had to prepare for Oklahoma - which many said were playing like the best team in the country. Every single ESPN talking head said WV had NO CHANCE, against the Sooners - especially without Rich Rodriguez leading the way. Bill Stewart, assistant coach, stepped up to the plate to lead the team.

West Virginia dominated the Sooners from start to finish - on both sides of the ball - to beat Oklahoma 48 - 28. Every single player shined that day. Tito Gonzales is just one example (wide receiver - who Rodriguez previously tried to get him to transfer to another school to open up a scholarship and had told him, "you'll never play a meaningful down"). Tito had a 79 yard catch for a touchdown that set a Fiesta Bowl record. Tito erupted in tears - it was amazing!

Last December was one of the worst months ever, for a WV fan. The Fiesta Bowl was one of the best moments of my life.

Anyway, I hope Rich Rodriguez never wins another game - he is a liar and a jerk with an ego the size of Texas. I don't care that he left to coach at another school - but I am completely disgusted with how he treated his alma mater and the people of his home state. Oh well, he is Michigan's problem now.

Oh, and the courts ruled that he owes every cent of the $4 Million.
11.gif

If anyone has read this whole thing and is the least bit interested - a kid in WV made a video which pretty much chronicles what we went through from the Pitt loss, coach bailing, and the outcome of the Fiesta Bowl. It really is a very moving video. If you are a college football fan who enjoys watching players with heart - this will not disappoint (please watch the whole thing): http://youtube.com/watch?v=SHt7kvjfbr8

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
That was quite a win for us on Saturday and the rain really didn''t affect things too much. It only rained in the second half, so most of the UM turn overs were in nice weather. We still didn''t have much of an offense, but the fact that we didn''t settle for field goals and were able to punch it in made me feel better. I haven''t had a chance to catch up on other college football news aside from USC-OSU, and right now USC is looking pretty dominant. Part of me hopes they''re still #1 when we play them.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 12:00:15 PM
Author: dockman3
That was quite a win for us on Saturday and the rain really didn''t affect things too much. It only rained in the second half, so most of the UM turn overs were in nice weather. We still didn''t have much of an offense, but the fact that we didn''t settle for field goals and were able to punch it in made me feel better. I haven''t had a chance to catch up on other college football news aside from USC-OSU, and right now USC is looking pretty dominant. Part of me hopes they''re still #1 when we play them.
Why oh why didn''t Tressel bench Boeckman? Terrell Pryor is every bit as good as advertised - tOSU would have had a chance if he had played the whole game. Personally, I felt Tressel was basically forfeiting the game - one loss, on the road, to the number 1 team, without Beanie Wells - can still make it to the Championship game if they run the table and win the Big 10.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
GO BLUE!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2008 1:58:48 AM

Date: 9/13/2008 9:16:34 PM

Hi Kimberly - Michigan isn''t on our schedule, but Rodriguez was our coach until last December. WVU was all set to play in the National Championship before our last game of the season (we were favored to beat Pitt by 40 or so). Our game plan wasn''t working and Rodriguez refused to adjust and wouldn''t call the plays the Offensive Coordinator was calling. It was the most crushing loss in the history of West Virginia football. He was feeling some heat after the loss - but WVU was chosen to play Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl (pretty good consolation prize).

Meanwhile, Michigan hadn''t been able to hire a replacement for Lloyd Carr''s retirement. Rodriguez''s agent called Michigan and they had some secret meetings. Rod accepted the job - and called important recruits (that he had been recruiting for WV) and told them to follow him to Michigan before he told his own team he was leaving.

There was a clause in his contract that stated if he left before a certain date - he would owe WVU $4 Million Dollars. Now, I must tell you that Rich Rodriguez was born and raised in WV, and was a former player at WVU. He and his agent personally ran a smear campaign against his own Alma Mater, to try and get out of paying the money he rightfully owed. He drug his own school through the mud and press with lies and false claims that could have destroyed the program.

Leading up to the Fiesta Bowl - the crushed team without a head coach (Rodriguez is the only coach ever to make it to a BCS Bowl and not coach it) had to prepare for Oklahoma - which many said were playing like the best team in the country. Every single ESPN talking head said WV had NO CHANCE, against the Sooners - especially without Rich Rodriguez leading the way. Bill Stewart, assistant coach, stepped up to the plate to lead the team.

West Virginia dominated the Sooners from start to finish - on both sides of the ball - to beat Oklahoma 48 - 28. Every single player shined that day. Tito Gonzales is just one example (wide receiver - who Rodriguez previously tried to get him to transfer to another school to open up a scholarship and had told him, ''you''ll never play a meaningful down''). Tito had a 79 yard catch for a touchdown that set a Fiesta Bowl record. Tito erupted in tears - it was amazing!

Last December was one of the worst months ever, for a WV fan. The Fiesta Bowl was one of the best moments of my life.

Anyway, I hope Rich Rodriguez never wins another game - he is a liar and a jerk with an ego the size of Texas. I don''t care that he left to coach at another school - but I am completely disgusted with how he treated his alma mater and the people of his home state. Oh well, he is Michigan''s problem now.

Oh, and the courts ruled that he owes every cent of the $4 Million.
11.gif

If anyone has read this whole thing and is the least bit interested - a kid in WV made a video which pretty much chronicles what we went through from the Pitt loss, coach bailing, and the outcome of the Fiesta Bowl. It really is a very moving video. If you are a college football fan who enjoys watching players with heart - this will not disappoint (please watch the whole thing): http://youtube.com/watch?v=SHt7kvjfbr8
As I said, I''m not a college ball fan, but an ND fan so this is all facinating stuff for me! I am definitely going to watch the video, thanks so much for sharing. Now I understand!

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And it''s not that we''re upset at Rodriguez leaving. That happens. It''s how he did it that hits the nerve. He put us through it in 2006 when he was being courted by Alabama. After an agonizing wait, he held this big press conference and gave us a line of bs about how he couldn''t leave WV, and that it was a dream to be coaching WVU, blah blah blah. He signed a long-term contract. The next year, after the worst loss in WVU history, and after secret negotiations with Michigan, and after contacting recruits before talking to his own team, he left. I think most of the state of WV cheers for the team playing against Michigan. Had he left in 2006 BEFORE he signed the long-term contract and before he fed us his line of bull, I think our attitudes may be different.

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 12:33:58 PM

Why oh why didn''t Tressel bench Boeckman? Terrell Pryor is every bit as good as advertised - tOSU would have had a chance if he had played the whole game. Personally, I felt Tressel was basically forfeiting the game - one loss, on the road, to the number 1 team, without Beanie Wells - can still make it to the Championship game if they run the table and win the Big 10.

Man, if a 1 loss tOSU makes it to the NC game, I''m going to cry. I can''t stand watching them get slaughtered again. Give somebody else a chance already. I don''t care who it is, just somebody else.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 9:25:31 PM
Author: Clio

Date: 9/9/2008 12:50:41 PM

SEC - HANDS DOWN THE BEST CONFERENCE OF THEM ALL!!! Impossible to get through a schedule undefeated.

I see that LAJennifer is a very wise person!

Geaux Tigers!!!
Hey Fightin'' Tigers - Fight all the way!

LSU Tigers!

This is my new favorite thread
9.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m so excited my Sooners are number two in the polls!!!!!!! I just hope we keep it up, last season was disappointing!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I am in Colorado right now - waiting for the game tonight. West Virginia Mountaineers at the Colorado Buffs. Can't wait! Also, there are a ton of Mountaineer fans here - almost feels like a home game.

katpaw

Rough_Rock
I live in South Bend so ND all the way!

Notre_Dame_University_mascot_logo.jpg

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2008 4:39:26 PM
I am in Colorado right now - waiting for the game tonight. West Virginia Mountaineers at the Colorado Buffs. Can''t wait! Also, there are a ton of Mountaineer fans here - almost feels like a home game.
Hubby has a few co-workers who travelled from WV to Colorado for this game!

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
My LSU Tigers did it BIG last night!!!

How did everyone else''s teams do????

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
So, I have a total conflict of interest because my significant other used to play football at Georgia. I started college at Alabama and my family are hardcore Alabama fans. Like, Alabama can do no wrong.

We''re going to the game this Saturday. it''s gonna be priceless.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
LSU plays both Georgia and Alabama later on in the season and BOTH are going to be very tough games!

That game is going to be fantastic Penn! (Although, I think Bama has the edge in the game against Georgia - they are looking great!)

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2008 2:24:15 PM
Author: Cleopatra
LSU plays both Georgia and Alabama later on in the season and BOTH are going to be very tough games!

That game is going to be fantastic Penn! (Although, I think Bama has the edge in the game against Georgia - they are looking great!)
Alabama was my dark horse pick before the season started. I knew Nick Saban wouldn''t lose for very long. I''m going to try and make it to the LSU / Alabama game.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2008 12:14:35 PM
Author: pennquaker09
So, I have a total conflict of interest because my significant other used to play football at Georgia. I started college at Alabama and my family are hardcore Alabama fans. Like, Alabama can do no wrong.

What years did he play?

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Notre Dame! My husband was born in South Bend, his dad got his PHD there. My husband and I naturally hate any school that includes the forbidden word "Michigan", USC, and Ohio State...
2.gif

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/21/2008 11:35:44 AM
Author: Cleopatra
My LSU Tigers did it BIG last night!!!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Oh yes they did!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/21/2008 5:12:45 PM
Date: 9/21/2008 12:14:35 PM

Author: pennquaker09

What years did he play?

I think he played from 1993 until 1995.

My little brothers, Logan and Will, they always want to know when we''re going to visit because he throws the football with them. I can''t throw a football to save my life.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results