shape
carat
color
clarity

College Football Fans Thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Alright, since there is an NFL thread, I thought I''d start a college FB thread and see if it gets any traction.

To start things off:

1) I go to Notre Dame, so of course, our ugly win and what it means. Personally, I''m really upset and didn''t think we looked good at all. We were really sloppy and not much better than last year. We''ve got a lot of room to improve, but hopefully Charlie can get it done.

2) What''s with the Big East and ACC?? Both conferences didn''t have a good start at all and both are looking dismal. Hopefully they can turn it around.

3) East Carolina. Who saw that coming?? Skip Holtz is doing a hell of a job over there and I saw they are now ranked 14 in the AP poll. That''s ridiculous!

4) So is East Carolina the BCS buster, or will BYU or Utah take that distinction? Utah looked pretty good beating up on Michigan (but then again, I like anyone who beats Michigan
3.gif
). BYU also just pulled it out against UW who got trounced by Oregon, so its hard to tell.

That should get us going. Here''s hoping we''ve got a great season and good luck to everybody! I''ll be sure to stop in whenever I can and add to the discussion.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
First, Go Bucks! (Dockman, I guess we can be united in our love of anyone who beats Michigan).

I am rooting for ND a little because you have had a couple of hard seasons now. But, the ECU Pirates are my underdog team of the year. I hope they keep it up!

I have to spend all my college football energy this week getting ready for the game Saturday. Eek! But, I hope we can pull it out. At least it is not an SEC team. . .

o.h.go.bucks.jpg

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
BOOMER!! It will be interesting to see how this season pans out. Last year was crazy the way all of the top 25 shifted. It was my first year really understanding and paying attention to football, so I''m super excited.

p1_sooners.jpg

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 11:55:41 AM
Author: OUpeargirl
BOOMER!! It will be interesting to see how this season pans out. Last year was crazy the way all of the top 25 shifted. It was my first year really understanding and paying attention to football, so I'm super excited.
Just be glad you weren't there for the OU/USC debacle. LOL!! I had a best friend at EACH school and heard way more than I EVER needed to know about the BCS.

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Uh Oh dockman and katamari-- it looks like we have a Big Ten rivalry brewing...

BOILER UP!

purdue_pete_footbal2342l.gif

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 11:41:22 AM
Author: katamari
First, Go Bucks! (Dockman, I guess we can be united in our love of anyone who beats Michigan).

I am rooting for ND a little because you have had a couple of hard seasons now. But, the ECU Pirates are my underdog team of the year. I hope they keep it up!

I have to spend all my college football energy this week getting ready for the game Saturday. Eek! But, I hope we can pull it out. At least it is not an SEC team. . .
Please add me to the above highlighted group.

Also, I definitely saw ECU coming - I was in vegas last Christmas and they won me a lot of money in the Hawaii Bowl against Boise State. I look for them to go 12 - 0.

THEN, I look for Skip Holtz to replace Charlie Weis at Notre Dame. Thoughts, anyone?

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2008 4:56:37 PM
Author:dockman3
Alright, since there is an NFL thread, I thought I''d start a college FB thread and see if it gets any traction.

To start things off:

1) I go to Notre Dame, so of course, our ugly win and what it means. Personally, I''m really upset and didn''t think we looked good at all. We were really sloppy and not much better than last year. We''ve got a lot of room to improve, but hopefully Charlie can get it done.

2) What''s with the Big East and ACC?? Both conferences didn''t have a good start at all and both are looking dismal. Hopefully they can turn it around.

3) East Carolina. Who saw that coming?? Skip Holtz is doing a hell of a job over there and I saw they are now ranked 14 in the AP poll. That''s ridiculous!

4) So is East Carolina the BCS buster, or will BYU or Utah take that distinction? Utah looked pretty good beating up on Michigan (but then again, I like anyone who beats Michigan
3.gif
). BYU also just pulled it out against UW who got trounced by Oregon, so its hard to tell.

That should get us going. Here''s hoping we''ve got a great season and good luck to everybody! I''ll be sure to stop in whenever I can and add to the discussion.
And for what I didn''t address in my previous post - Big East is definitely down this year, but will bounce back. WV will recover from last week''s loss and may still contend for the Championship (if this season is anything like last season). I''ll be making a trip to Colorado next week to catch that matchup (Colorado / WV). South Florida will do very well - and nobody should sleep on Cincy.

ACC has been going down hill since they raided the Big East of VA Tech, Boston College and Miami. They''ve yet to win a BCS Bowl Game since the new BCS was established. Big East is safe - since they tend to kick serious butt in the BCS Bowl Championship Series.

Big 10 is crap (same as last year).

East Coast mid-majors are more tough than West Coast mid-majors. Utah or BYU will not crash the BCS. ECU might. I go to a lot of games (and record the rest on tv) - last year I went to 2 Pac 10 games (the level of play reminded me of Conference USA - not kidding), 1 WAC game, 1 Conference USA vs Big East game, 1 Big 12 vs Big 10 game, 1 Big 12 vs Big East game.

I love the Big 12 - their conference is going to be a serious battle this year. I think Kansas plays South Florida (Big East) this weekend - should be a good game. I love Mike Gundy - he''s a man, he''s 40 - Go Cowboys!

Pac 1 - er I mean Pac 10 - USC owns! I have a lot of personal issues with this team (example, late out of bounds hit on Washington''s Jake Locker last year, then player gets a pat on the back by Carroll). Anyway - should beat Ohio State this week. Does anyone know the status of Beanie Wells? I love Tressel''s sweater vest.

SEC - HANDS DOWN THE BEST CONFERENCE OF THEM ALL!!! Impossible to get through a schedule undefeated.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and ECU wants to join the Big East, by the way. I think they would make a great addition.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 12:20:33 PM
Author: meresal
Date: 9/9/2008 11:55:41 AM

Author: OUpeargirl

BOOMER!! It will be interesting to see how this season pans out. Last year was crazy the way all of the top 25 shifted. It was my first year really understanding and paying attention to football, so I''m super excited.

Just be glad you weren''t there for the OU/USC debacle. LOL!! I had a best friend at EACH school and heard way more than I EVER needed to know about the BCS.

Hahaha I kinda paid attention to that, because it was the national championship game.. My older sister and dad were actually in Miami at the game! That game was uggggggggly!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 12:50:41 PM
Author: LAJennifer
Does anyone know the status of Beanie Wells? I love Tressel''s sweater vest.

The word here is that he is going to play Saturday. He has been practicing all week, with some tenderness, but they expect that to be ''worked out'' by Saturday. I hope he can play!

And, Tressel totally rocks the vest! We should all look so good in a signature garment
1.gif

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 3:31:55 PM

Does anyone know the status of Beanie Wells? I love Tressel''s sweater vest.

The word here is that he is going to play Saturday. He has been practicing all week, with some tenderness, but they expect that to be ''worked out'' by Saturday. I hope he can play!

And, Tressel totally rocks the vest! We should all look so good in a signature garment
1.gif
No kidding! I''ve thought about being Tressel for Halloween this year - though I wonder if people would "get it".

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
FIGHT ON, for Old ''SC!!!!
9.gif

Trojan through and through over here. I love my team!
36.gif

Clio

Brilliant_Rock

SEC - HANDS DOWN THE BEST CONFERENCE OF THEM ALL!!! Impossible to get through a schedule undefeated.

I see that LAJennifer is a very wise person!

Geaux Tigers!!!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 9:25:31 PM
Author: Clio

I see that LAJennifer is a very wise person!

Geaux Tigers!!!
Hey Clio - I''m going to try and make it out to the LSU / Alabama game.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
TROJANS!!!!

My Uncle went to Notre Dame and his son, my cousin, to USC. Quite the little sparring in the house I can tell you!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
GO BADGERS!!!!!!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Lots of Big Ten love, indeed!

And, to diamondfan and trillionaire -- GO BUCKS!
3.gif
I am going on vacation this week and will be getting up at 2 in the morning to hear a webcast of the game from Belgium. It better be a good one
36.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock

And for what I didn''t address in my previous post - Big East is definitely down this year, but will bounce back. WV will recover from last week''s loss and may still contend for the Championship (if this season is anything like last season). I''ll be making a trip to Colorado next week to catch that matchup (Colorado / WV). South Florida will do very well - and nobody should sleep on Cincy.

Lets hope. I think WVU MUST get that W against Colorado for ANY hope of a championship, let alone a BCS bowl game
32.gif
So, lets see what Coach Stew can do!! I''ll be watching...on my television, and very jealous that you will be attending! LETS GOOOO!

ETA: sorry for the crazy bold..i dunno what happened, still learning
1.gif

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 2:24:35 PM
Author: BeachRunner

And for what I didn't address in my previous post - Big East is definitely down this year, but will bounce back. WV will recover from last week's loss and may still contend for the Championship (if this season is anything like last season). I'll be making a trip to Colorado next week to catch that matchup (Colorado / WV). South Florida will do very well - and nobody should sleep on Cincy.

Lets hope. I think WVU MUST get that W against Colorado for ANY hope of a championship, let alone a BCS bowl game
32.gif
So, lets see what Coach Stew can do!! I'll be watching...on my television, and very jealous that you will be attending! LETS GOOOO!

1.gif
Last week was a nightmare for me. This new coaching staff owes it to Pat White not to let him go out that way. Seems like they were trying to "fix" something that wasn't broken. With the talent we have on offense - there is no excuse to not be able to score a touchdown. The O-Line looked soft, and I'm really missing Owen. I think Josh Jenkins will see much more playing time. And what's up with Terrence Kerns? He should be playing. And I wish they would tell us one way or another about Reed Williams' status. We are missing his leadership. Yes, we have to win the rest of our schedule to contend for the championship (which IS possible). Last year was really our year for the Championship - but Fraud blew it! However, I do feel we will win the Big East - which equals a BCS game. I was at the Fiesta Bowl last year - best moment of my life! I love Stew, and am 100% behind his hire.

I'll DIE if we lose to Marshall (and I'm a Marshall grad)! Where are you located? ... MOUNTAINEERS!!!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 4:43:24 PM
Date: 9/10/2008 2:24:35 PM

Author: BeachRunner

32.gif
So, lets see what Coach Stew can do!! I''ll be watching...on my television, and very jealous that you will be attending! LETS GOOOO!

1.gif

Last week was a nightmare for me. This new coaching staff owes it to Pat White not to let him go out that way. Seems like they were trying to ''fix'' something that wasn''t broken. With the talent we have on offense - there is no excuse to not be able to score a touchdown. The O-Line looked soft, and I''m really missing Owen. I think Josh Jenkins will see much more playing time. And what''s up with Terrence Kerns? He should be playing. And I wish they would tell us one way or another about Reed Williams'' status. We are missing his leadership. Yes, we have to win the rest of our schedule to contend for the championship (which IS possible). Last year was really our year for the Championship - but Fraud blew it! However, I do feel we will win the Big East - which equals a BCS game. I was at the Fiesta Bowl last year - best moment of my life! I love Stew, and am 100% behind his hire.

I''ll DIE if we lose to Marshall (and I''m a Marshall grad)! Where are you located? ... MOUNTAINEERS!!!

Yes, it was horrendous! And I second the HUGE loss the team took when we lost Owen Schmitt to the pros. But, it had me dumbfounded how we couldn''t score a TD between the terrific offense WVU has. I do believe last year was the championship year for the Mountaineers, but hopefully they can succeed for the rest of the season.

AND YES, losing to Marshall would be disastrous, as I am a WVU grad, and still living in touchdown city, although am planning a move next yr. I''ve taken all the college kids one can handle!

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Ok everyone. Sorry for not checking in, but work just picked up this week like you wouldn't believe, so I'm taking any time I have to take a break and check in.

Date: 9/9/2008 11:41:22 AM

I hope ECU can keep it up too! That would be a great story line for the season.

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 12:28:44 PM
Author: GoingCrazy29
Uh Oh dockman and katamari-- it looks like we have a Big Ten rivalry brewing...

BOILER UP!

I guess its an in state rivalry with you and we just don''t like Michigan! You guys are actually shaping up to be one of our toughest games of the year, besides USC, of course. It should be good!

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 12:30:46 PM
Please add me to the above highlighted group.

Also, I definitely saw ECU coming - I was in vegas last Christmas and they won me a lot of money in the Hawaii Bowl against Boise State. I look for them to go 12 - 0.

THEN, I look for Skip Holtz to replace Charlie Weis at Notre Dame. Thoughts, anyone?

I don''t know about Skip replacing Charlie. I still have some shred of faith that Charlie can pull it out, but we''ll have to see what kind of changes we have against UM. I''m guessing that SDSU just played their hearts out because they were playing at ND and it was a fluke that they played so well. AT least that''s what I"m telling myself....

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 12:46:06 AM
Author: diamondfan
TROJANS!!!!

My Uncle went to Notre Dame and his son, my cousin, to USC. Quite the little sparring in the house I can tell you!

Its always fun having a house like that. My sister and I were at ND while my brother enrolled at Michigan. My dad had both ND and UM stickers on the car and would get the strangest looks and comments....

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 9:24:34 PM
Author: dockman3

Date: 9/10/2008 12:46:06 AM
Author: diamondfan
TROJANS!!!!

Its always fun having a house like that. My sister and I were at ND while my brother enrolled at Michigan. My dad had both ND and UM stickers on the car and would get the strangest looks and comments....
So what does your bro think of his new coach? I knew exactly what he was going to say at the presser after the loss to Utah . . . "We just didn''t execute ..." How many times have I heard that one? He''ll never take the blame - he''ll put it on the "kids" every time.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LAJenn - you were at the Fiesta Bowl????? How awesome!!!! Everyone at work had been so down and then when the Mountaineers won the Fiesta Bowl, it was like a party atmosphere. I swear we were all giddy!

I don''t get to watch the WVU/Marshall game. I''ll be on a plane or in an airport all day that day, and that STINKS. I''ll miss the tailgate party at work the day before too. I''m disappointed.
7.gif
I really hope Marshall doesn''t beat WVU, but they looked really sad last week. (I''ll be heading home to WV from LA!)

Hubby is from Ohio, and he loves OSU and he has adopted WVU since we moved here. He was so afraid that they would play each other in the big game and he wouldn''t know who to cheer for. He was really conflicted there for a while!

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 9:46:34 PM
Date: 9/10/2008 9:24:34 PM

Author: dockman3

So what does your bro think of his new coach? I knew exactly what he was going to say at the presser after the loss to Utah . . . ''We just didn''t execute ...'' How many times have I heard that one? He''ll never take the blame - he''ll put it on the ''kids'' every time.

Well actually, my brother left the dark side after his first year and transferred into the light, so he''s with us. But I don''t know quite what to make of coach Rodriguez. Having been through 4 coaches in my time here at ND (Started with Davie, then George O''Leary for a week, then Ty, now Charlie), I know that the first year is usually pretty tough, especially when you lose so many people like he did. The personnel they have are not suited to his playing style at all, so I kind of expected them to struggle. I really hope that struggle continues on Sat!

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In my world, Coach Rodriguez = bad. He is truly disliked around here.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 9:58:17 PM
Author: deegee
LAJenn - you were at the Fiesta Bowl????? How awesome!!!! Everyone at work had been so down and then when the Mountaineers won the Fiesta Bowl, it was like a party atmosphere. I swear we were all giddy!

I don''t get to watch the WVU/Marshall game. I''ll be on a plane or in an airport all day that day, and that STINKS. I''ll miss the tailgate party at work the day before too. I''m disappointed.
7.gif
I really hope Marshall doesn''t beat WVU, but they looked really sad last week. (I''ll be heading home to WV from LA!)

Hubby is from Ohio, and he loves OSU and he has adopted WVU since we moved here. He was so afraid that they would play each other in the big game and he wouldn''t know who to cheer for. He was really conflicted there for a while!
That nearly happened last year - sucks, because we would have won too! I''m so jealous that you get to go to home games and tailgate with other fans. I''m in USC/UCLA country. I was at Pauley Pavilion in 2006 when the Mountaineer Basketball team kicked the Bruins'' butts. WV fans made a good showing and were very loud! It was awesome. I always wear WV gear when I attend any sporting event - I''ve never received a negative comment about the Mountaineers.

What will you be doing in LA? You should DVR the game.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Rutgers - UNC on right now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results