shape
carat
color
clarity

Chunky chunky!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
What a beauty!!
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2008 2:07:55 PM
Author: scarlet16
Thanks for the support everyone! Trust me, I will not let it get away.

Pauly- I was hoping you would chime in. I actually was looking for something between your stone and Boston_Jeff (ie. an H SI1 with flour) and gave Mark specs similar to the two but nothing like that was available. I''m certainly not going to complain with an E though!!

As for a setting, I think we''re just going to a simple temporary cathedral solitaire for the time being. We''re sinking a little bit more into the stone than we planned, and have a wedding to pay for in August that''s also going over-budget so after that I''ll start thinking about a permanent setting.

Plus this way I can get ideas from all of you lovely folks...any thoughts??? Some prelim ideas - I''m loving me some Leon (a la Tiger''s ring), and the setting of the infamous 4 carat Joe Escobar cushion, and I tried on a legacy wedding band at Tiffany''s that was to die for (bead set milgrain, 3mm), and I also saw the lovely Ritani Endless Love in person (my, that thing is DELICATE). Geesh- I am all over the place! The only things I do know are wedding band somewhat must be flush, no halo (maybe really really mini halo), fairly thin shank, and somewhat antique-y looking. ANY HELP is much appreciated!!!
35.gif
I think a temp setting is a great idea, and then get the setting of your dreams for an anniversary down the road. I love love love Tiger''s ring and also the ritani, they would be stunning with your cushion!!

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
KC-Tiger''s ring was my DREAM ring...but I''m worried that it might look odd w/ a smaller cushion set east west (hers was 3+ cts). What do you think? I wonder if someone here can photoshop my stone onto her setting!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2008 11:09:30 AM
Wow...I think that is a RESOUNDING yes for the stone! Thanks everyone! If that''s not an endorsement for Mark at ERD, I don''t know what is.

Ellen, I totally got the reference! I was trying to think of a clever response but I''m having a brain fart so I''ll just say grazie! Oh, and your Peep avatar makes me happy! Here''s one a friend sent me that I got a kick out of. Happy Easter!

Dani-You were TOTALLY right! He pulled out the 2 ct. and I was like WHAA??? I honestly couldn''t see a difference. I am so over the number ''2.'' We will def. go together for our upgrades! My poor FI, he''s like seriously...you went from .82 to 1.66; what type of precedent is that...your next stone is going to be like 3.5. And I said nah, just 2.5. Once I get that stone in my grubby hands, I''m ready for us to set up that NYC get together!
36.gif

CrookedRock- Funny story, Mark and I were talking about you yesterday and he''s like isn''t she done with PS since she has that stone? I said Mark, PS is a lifestyle! This is the stone I''ve been talking about for ages! I was going to have take a look while you were there but forgot to ask you! I just needed a little PS approval but I was pretty certain as of last night that the search was over. Hmm, I didn''t even think to ask him if they were from the same cutter but I will! BTW-are you guys thinking of coming up to NY to pick up the ring from Leon? If so, we should DEFINITELY do the NYC get-together then!!!
31.gif
DYING to see that ring!!!

36.gif
It''s absolutely stunning!! Woohoo!

That peep/bunny peep show is cracking me up!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2008 2:40:21 PM
Author: coatimundi

36.gif
It''s absolutely stunning!! Woohoo!

That peep/bunny peep show is cracking me up!
Me too! Thanks for posting it scarlet. It really IS the little things in life...
9.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2008 2:22:20 PM
KC-Tiger''s ring was my DREAM ring...but I''m worried that it might look odd w/ a smaller cushion set east west (hers was 3+ cts). What do you think? I wonder if someone here can photoshop my stone onto her setting!
I think your stone would look FABUOULS set like Tiger''s!!!!! Your stone is still pretty big...and the pave is very delicate, I really think it will look amazing! I could try photoshopping your stone in, but I probably wouldn''t get the proportions right.

cincin090

Shiny_Rock
Love your stone. It''s sooo chunky! I really like that look too, but Mark said it would be too hard to find, and as it is, cushion brilliants are hard to find too. But looks like you got a great stone! Do you know what setting you''re going to get? Sorry if you mentioned it already!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2008 3:16:46 PM
Author: kcoursolle

I think your stone would look FABUOULS set like Tiger''s!!!!! Your stone is still pretty big...and the pave is very delicate, I really think it will look amazing! I could try photoshopping your stone in, but I probably wouldn''t get the proportions right.
All right, here is a stab at the photoshop of your stone in Tiger''s ring. I think the proportions are almost right, but the prongs are waaayy off. They should be more delicate. However, I sized down your stone until it was about 2/3 the size of the stone in Tiger''s setting. It still looks pretty large to me, you could definitely get away with this setting for your stone!

tiger_modified.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s tiger''s picture I used for reference and size comparison.

IMG_0005e22.jpg

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2008 3:43:38 PM

All right, here is a stab at the photoshop of your stone in Tiger''s ring. I think the proportions are almost right, but the prongs are waaayy off. They should be more delicate. However, I sized down your stone until it was about 2/3 the size of the stone in Tiger''s setting. It still looks pretty large to me, you could definitely get away with this setting for your stone!
Yummo-O! Thanks for doing that...maybe I''ll contact Leon just to get a price quote. But with platinum prices the way they are now, I might have to wait anyway.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2008 3:24:29 PM
Author: cincin090
Love your stone. It''s sooo chunky! I really like that look too, but Mark said it would be too hard to find, and as it is, cushion brilliants are hard to find too. But looks like you got a great stone! Do you know what setting you''re going to get? Sorry if you mentioned it already!
Cincin - what are you looking for exactly? If you really want a cushion brilliant, I''d try to wait it out. It does take some time but the look is totally different from anything else and if you really want that you''re gonna have to be patient. Mark did say they are REALLY REALLY difficult to find in certain sizes.

As for setting, we''re probably just going to do something temp now but I really love a thin shank (and Tiger''s ring above is an inspiration).

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2008 3:56:27 PM

Date: 3/21/2008 3:43:38 PM

Yummo-O! Thanks for doing that...maybe I''ll contact Leon just to get a price quote. But with platinum prices the way they are now, I might have to wait anyway.
No problem, I hope it helps! It''s definitely worth getting a quote, but platinum prices are rediculous these days!!! It''s such a bummer, but hopefully his quote won''t be too bad.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would/do platinum rings ever go down in price?

pauly1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/21/2008 4:04:46 PM
Author: Ellen
Would/do platinum rings ever go down in price?
Ellen, this is a look at platinum prices over the last five years. While prices do increase GRADUALLY, this economy has sent it through the roof. As you will see it''s starting to come back down, which is good news. Afterall, I''ve got wedding bands to buy!
1.gif

pt1825nyb.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pauly, thanks. I realize the price of Plat fluctuates. What I guess I''d find hard to believe is a jeweler actually lowering the price of a ring. lol But, if you''re saying yes they do, good news!

pauly1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/21/2008 4:22:22 PM
Pauly, thanks. I realize the price of Plat fluctuates. What I guess I'd find hard to believe is a jeweler actually lowering the price of a ring. lol But, if you're saying yes they do, good news!
That's a good point. I don't know if you would see it coming down in that sense. I guess you would notice it more if you're going the custom route. I priced out my ring 8 months before I actually built it and the price did change from start to finish. There's no way they could have predicted that though. In the end it's just the weight of the ring X the price of the metal, and January was a lot higher than June.

pauly1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/21/2008 2:07:55 PM
Thanks for the support everyone! Trust me, I will not let it get away.

Pauly- I was hoping you would chime in. I actually was looking for something between your stone and Boston_Jeff (ie. an H SI1 with flour) and gave Mark specs similar to the two but nothing like that was available. I''m certainly not going to complain with an E though!!

As for a setting, I think we''re just going to a simple temporary cathedral solitaire for the time being. We''re sinking a little bit more into the stone than we planned, and have a wedding to pay for in August that''s also going over-budget so after that I''ll start thinking about a permanent setting.

Plus this way I can get ideas from all of you lovely folks...any thoughts??? Some prelim ideas - I''m loving me some Leon (a la Tiger''s ring), and the setting of the infamous 4 carat Joe Escobar cushion, and I tried on a legacy wedding band at Tiffany''s that was to die for (bead set milgrain, 3mm), and I also saw the lovely Ritani Endless Love in person (my, that thing is DELICATE). Geesh- I am all over the place! The only things I do know are wedding band somewhat must be flush, no halo (maybe really really mini halo), fairly thin shank, and somewhat antique-y looking. ANY HELP is much appreciated!!!
35.gif
Definitely nothing to complain about there! That stone is so white! You did really well, congrats !

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Scarlet -- It''s gorgeous! Phenomenal cushion.
30.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love tiger''s ring, but I don''t think a wedding band will sit flush if that is a huge priority for you. just something to think about down the road when your ready for the permanant setting...

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2008 4:31:23 PM
Author: pauly1

Pauly, thanks. I realize the price of Plat fluctuates. What I guess I''d find hard to believe is a jeweler actually lowering the price of a ring. lol But, if you''re saying yes they do, good news!
That''s a good point. I don''t know if you would see it coming down in that sense. I guess you would notice it more if you''re going the custom route. I priced out my ring 8 months before I actually built it and the price did change from start to finish. There''s no way they could have predicted that though. In the end it''s just the weight of the ring X the price of the metal, and January was a lot higher than June.
Thanks for answering Pauly. Ellen, I think the problem isn''t the price so much generally. It''s just I don''t want to pay a super-premium since platinum prices has been completely out of whack recently. Hopefully it''ll normalize a little by the time I''m ready.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2008 5:00:25 PM
Author: mrssalvo
i love tiger''s ring, but I don''t think a wedding band will sit flush if that is a huge priority for you. just something to think about down the road when your ready for the permanant setting...
Yeah...I know...I''m going to figure out my priorities. I think her ring has a "donut" on the bottom, so maybe Leon can shrink it a little bit so that the rings would be more flush. I know it''ll be impossible for them to be totally flush but I''d like them as close as possible. I haven''t actually tried any rings on together that are that thin (I think less than 2mm) so maybe I wouldn''t mind it so much there.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful diamond! Isn''t it nice that he knew it was the diamond for you? That is a great cut and a great size.

Enjoy, and looking forward to more pictures!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Michi

Rough_Rock
Wow, love your cushion. I really love the faceting, smaller table and everything about it. I just love the "pillowy" cushions. Yours is gorgeous!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2008 4:31:23 PM
Author: pauly1

That''s a good point. I don''t know if you would see it coming down in that sense. I guess you would notice it more if you''re going the custom route. I priced out my ring 8 months before I actually built it and the price did change from start to finish. There''s no way they could have predicted that though. In the end it''s just the weight of the ring X the price of the metal, and January was a lot higher than June.
Yes, that''s what I wondering.

SparkleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I''m drooling here...
3.gif
30.gif
I''m in love! What an amazing stone... I''m so envious right now! Definitely adding this thread to my favorites to show my bf. Hand shots when you get it set... please!!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty stone!!!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Scarlet!

I think you should call Leon and set that baby in a thin-shanked pave setting just like diamondnut's new set over in SMTR. Absolutely gorgeous! Get the matching band too and call it a day. That would be amazing.
30.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
YUMM-O!!!!! Just imagine your chunky beauty in this Leon setting!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

(hope you dont mind me using this pic, diamondnut- your rings are FAB!)

YUMMO.jpg

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2008 3:03:38 PM
Author: Dani
Scarlet!

I think you should call Leon and set that baby in a thin-shanked pave setting just like diamondnut''s new set over in SMTR. Absolutely gorgeous! Get the matching band too and call it a day. That would be amazing.
30.gif
Honey you read my mind! But I''m so fickle...I saw Iheartdiamonds ring today and LOVED that too.

ARGHH too many choices. Plus, I don''t know if I can spend $2000+ right now. That might have to wait until fall.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2008 3:08:27 PM
Date: 3/22/2008 3:03:38 PM

Author: Dani

Scarlet!

I think you should call Leon and set that baby in a thin-shanked pave setting just like diamondnut's new set over in SMTR. Absolutely gorgeous! Get the matching band too and call it a day. That would be amazing.
30.gif
Honey you read my mind! But I'm so fickle...I saw Iheartdiamonds ring today and LOVED that too.

ARGHH too many choices. Plus, I don't know if I can spend $2000+ right now. That might have to wait until fall.

See, I am so much more into the thin-shanked rings...When you see pics of my set, you'll see why!!!!
2.gif
I just think they really make the center diamond pop (plus, makes it look bigger for sure, which is an added bonus)!

31.gif

eta: I wonder actually how much that set by Leon would go for? I'm curious!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results