clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/22/2010 7:45:39 PM
Author: cellentani
I love this stone!
30.gif

Cellentani, it looks great! I''m expecting a tourmaline from Barry in a couple days and yours just got me so excited!!

Also, Arcadian, I like your stone, too, and look forward to hearing what you plan to do with it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2010 5:25:30 PM
Author: Arcadian
Here''s the ring in direct sunlight. Its really a great color but check the middle
7.gif

In indirect light you don''t see the big hole in the middle of the stone at all.

I''m trying to decide if I should just live with it being the stone and setting didn''t cost that much or send that stone out for a recut.

I sure do feel some kinda way about it though.

-A

What window?????

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Arcadian, I think it looks beautiful!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, y''all can''t see that big crazy window?

Here''s a bigger pic. That hole dosen''t go away in sunlight. the stone is 5mm deep so I don''t know if that means it can be recut or not. Could be that it would need another setting.

big ol windowP1020780.jpg

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I don''t think that''s a window Arcadian. I think that it''s probably your reflection in the stone. If it was an oval it would be a "bow-tie". If it were a window you''d be able to see through the stone to your finger. If you remove the ring, roll up a printed sheet of white paper and insert it into the ring. If this were a window you would be able to see the contrast between the characters and the sheet, (whereas your skin, being a single color, has no contrast and can make it hard to tell if you''re looking at a reflection or a window). Recutting would just make the stone smaller and that would be a shame for such a pretty sapphire.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2010 1:29:55 PM
Author: Michael_E
I don''t think that''s a window Arcadian. I think that it''s probably your reflection in the stone. If it was an oval it would be a ''bow-tie''. If it were a window you''d be able to see through the stone to your finger. If you remove the ring, roll up a printed sheet of white paper and insert it into the ring. If this were a window you would be able to see the contrast between the characters and the sheet, (whereas your skin, being a single color, has no contrast and can make it hard to tell if you''re looking at a reflection or a window). Recutting would just make the stone smaller and that would be a shame for such a pretty sapphire.
to the bolded, I can''t see my finger and you don''t see any print at all though the stone. Though even held away from myself when not taking pictures that dark spot is still there. I don''t know if it has anything to do with the depth (stone is 7.9mmx5mm) Do you think resetting the stone in a different setting would help?

-A

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first Dan Stair stone, an Oyo tourmaline which I''m hopefully putting into an old antique setting :) I took it''s pic next to my diamond so you could see the color better.

IMG0353.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
This doesn''t really need its own thread, but I wanted to ask you all to keep an eye out for a 5.5mm round stone for me.

I decided to purchase a mount from LOGR for a stone that I have, but began waffling around and decided that I wouldn''t want to put the stone in mind for the setting that I ordered. So, I''m just going to order the setting anyway for a 5.5 round because that''s a size that I know I''d like...eek. It makes me antsy to have stones without mounts, and mounts without stones...and now, I''m going to have both!
14.gif
I think 5.5 is a pretty generic size and I have a spess in mind that would fit it, but I''d appreciate any suggestions as well!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2010 1:29:55 PM
Author: Michael_E
Recutting would just make the stone smaller and that would be a shame for such a pretty sapphire.

Ditto!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2010 2:57:50 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
My first Dan Stair stone, an Oyo tourmaline which I''m hopefully putting into an old antique setting :) I took it''s pic next to my diamond so you could see the color better.

IMG0353.jpg

Oooh, you should set it on a diagonal just like the picture. Very nice Dan Stair stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually don't post gems before I get them, but I'm giddy about winning this 1.82 carat tsavorite (20 bids!!). It's a bit light in tone, so some people might consider it more of a grossular, but I love the hint of blue in this color. Yeah, I know it has lousy cutting, but I love the color.

TLminttsavorite1_82.JPG

babydoll_mini

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/24/2010 10:50:13 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I usually don''t post gems before I get them, but I''m giddy about winning this 1.82 carat tsavorite (20 bids!!). It''s a bit light in tone, so some people might consider it more of a grossular, but I love the hint of blue in this color. Yeah, I know it has lousy cutting, but I love the color.
now I know who outbid me yesterday!
15.gif

Love that tsav. too!
Congratulations, TL!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2010 11:36:11 PM
Author: babydoll_mini

I usually don''t post gems before I get them, but I''m giddy about winning this 1.82 carat tsavorite (20 bids!!). It''s a bit light in tone, so some people might consider it more of a grossular, but I love the hint of blue in this color. Yeah, I know it has lousy cutting, but I love the color.

15.gif

Love that tsav. too!

Congratulations, TL!

Ooops, sorry Babydoll. The color reminds me of the gorgeous stone in your avatar ring though. What is that?

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
My prettyjewelry setting is here and it''s gorgeous! YAY But now I can''t decide which stone to set in it.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 7:24:45 PM
Author: redfaerythinker
My prettyjewelry setting is here and it''s gorgeous! YAY But now I can''t decide which stone to set in it.
That''s all we get??!! No pics??
39.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2010 9:56:04 PM
Author: Novel

Cellentani, it looks great! I''m expecting a tourmaline from Barry in a couple days and yours just got me so excited!!

Also, Arcadian, I like your stone, too, and look forward to hearing what you plan to do with it.
Novel, have you gotten your tourmaline yet? I''d love to see it!

babydoll_mini

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 12:11:30 PM

Date: 5/24/2010 11:36:11 PM
Author: babydoll_mini

15.gif

Love that tsav. too!

Congratulations, TL!

Ooops, sorry Babydoll. The color reminds me of the gorgeous stone in your avatar ring though. What is that?
Thanks TL, that is jadeite
Oh btw, if there is any slight chance that tsav does not work out for you...can you pass it to me?
31.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got this suite of 2mm round brilliant benitioites from Brad...

benseries.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
and this 4mm ethiopian faceted translucent opal...now I just have to figure out how to set them!

ethiopal.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I thought you said no more tsavorites! I am holding you to your word .. you better send this one to me.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2010 11:04:26 PM
Author: CharmyPoo

I thought you said no more tsavorites! I am holding you to your word .. you better send this one to me.

LOL! I consider this more of a grossular than a tsavorite. I don''t like the chrome green tsavorites, but this looks more minty to me.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 11:30:59 PM

Date: 5/25/2010 11:04:26 PM
Author: CharmyPoo

LOL! I consider this more of a grossular than a tsavorite. I don''t like the chrome green tsavorites, but this looks more minty to me.
Execuses
25.gif

You better share photos when you get it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will!!

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
TL, I love the colour of your tsavorite too!
36.gif

Will you be getting an AIGS/ any other lab memo? if so, will there be a long wait until you get the stone & post pics..? (sigh..)

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 11:02:47 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
and this 4mm ethiopian faceted translucent opal...now I just have to figure out how to set them!
ethiopal.jpg
So you're the one that outbid me!
25.gif
I'm glad the little opal is going to a good home.
36.gif
Please post lots of pictures when you get it!
30.gif

I bought this contraluz opal from Barry to curb my opal craving:

OP-6583 Contraluz Opal(J) .80ct., 7.5x5.7mm oval cabochon[Gec]. This little opal is a collector's stone because it is a contraluz which shows play of color when held up to the light, and it also shows play of color when viewed from the top. From Mexico.

barry-acstones-contraluz.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The opal and beniotiotes came. The suite is just STUNNING, the dispersion is amazing and the colors luscious.

The opal I''m less impressed by, but it is super cool so I''ll probably keep it around.

Now to brainstorm a way to set the benitoites.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I was just about to ask how you''d set them!!

Hmnn...

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I''m waiting until 2.0 (if it ever happens) to post a proper thread on this ring. But I thought I would share a truly awful quality teaser.
11.gif

bespokeperidotsetteaser.jpg

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
I've just had my tsavorite (1.3ct, 6.8mm) ) custom set in 18k unplated white gold.
I'll post more pics when/if PS2.0 is up and running.
2.gif

tsav-VR0610.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2010 2:37:21 AM
Author: redfaerythinker
I''m waiting until 2.0 (if it ever happens) to post a proper thread on this ring. But I thought I would share a truly awful quality teaser.
11.gif
rft - is that your yummy 8mm asscher peridot?? I cannot wait to see more pics - it looks gorgeous!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results