shape
carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

I plan to prong set it to maximize the light it receives. Won't that be helpful in preserving the color change? One of the companion rings will be a bezeled labradorite. Of all the choices it seemed the best match for the different colors of the alex.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How is the colour shift when the stone is nestled between your fingers on the back of your hand? That will help simulate a prong set ring.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with Chrono that it looks like you've done well, and the price, if the tsavorite is any indication, sound great. Good for you to have that local source now!

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for the suggestion to check the color change against my hand, though I hesitate to give it much time out of its box. It still changes just as strongly there and in the box as well. In very natural direct light it takes on a third color variation which is an interesting darker combination of the purple and teal.

This is the prong set stack ring that i think it can just pop into. I know flowers aren't for everyone, but there are just an endless list of options with stackers. As for the tsavorite, it will be a few days until I can make it to the shop again so maybe it will sell by then. If not, I will take another look and give it a very critical exam. You see, I'm saving for something else and can't justify buying every single thing I want, even if I love it. I'm thrilled though to have found a local gem cutter. He specializes in local material too, and had some very beautiful gold in quartz cabochons in addition to the sunstones and lots of benitoite. Fun!

stackers.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sounds like the alexandrite will be fine once set. That's a very cute set.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

Thank you! I've sent the custom listing request for the alex stack ring but haven't heard back from the vendor yet. Regarding the tsavorite, I haven't checked back to see if it's still there. I guess I'm kind of hoping someone else will buy it, and it won't be an option.

I took a few pictures today and thought I'd post this pretty trio from Dana at MCG. I wasn't planning a 3 stone design for the gray spinel but the umbalite garnets do look lovely with it. The spinel is 6.1mm and the garnets are 5.2mm. I couldn't capture the bright sparkle that they all have. The photos are a little dark too, but close enough. The spinel is silver in bright light, shifting to medium and darker gray under incandescent. The lavender comes out much more under fluorescent.

p9220036__640x480_.jpg p9220008__640x480_.jpg p9220028__640x481_.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Interesting colour combination that might actually work! What do you think? Will they go together as a 3 stone ring?

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

In the winter, I like to mix combos of gray, lavender, black, and rose (not necessarily all at once!). I wasn't planning on the color combo or a 3 stone, but there's a ring design by onegarnetgirl on etsy that I do like. It actually uses a 6mm center stone with 5mm sides. I would have to try the foil trick with the garnets though to see how they'd look in a bezel. Just an idea!

il_570xn.jpg il_fullxfull.jpg il_570xn_0.jpg

Ryvyan

Rough_Rock

I walked by this unassuming jewellery store earlier and I stopped because there was this incredibly beautiful sapphire star that took my breath away! It is a lightish blue (but intensely so) with no visible signs of inclusion, and a VERY sharp star that is visible under even the crappy mall light... IN THE DISPLAY CABINET. I was moving my head back and forth because the star was so beautiful!

The man (goldsmith for 25-year and he has frequent drops) showed it to me after I gawked for a bit, and I spent a while admiring its beauty. He told me to bring it between two spotlights and when 2 sharp stars appeared, I basically gasped and fell in love. I did not ask how many carats it is but it definitely is about 10x10mm or more. It is actually not THAT translucent but the star was just amazing; It is a Sri Lankan stone and about 50x my budget. :blackeye: He has other Burmese stars lying next to it and they were so inferior comparatively I wept on the inside, because it is a reminder of what my budget would fetch me ;( I'm pretty sure I'm not getting one already, because nothing can compare to that one stone...

No pictures, I'm afraid. I've been lurking around here and I feel that only the forumers here would understand that intense love for the stone, which I simply have to express. I AM SPOILT FOR LIFE. Anyone who wishes to win me over simply has to purchase that stone for me!!!

--

Also, just wanted to share that it was also my first time looking at stones in real life because all my research thus far has been online admiring blown-up images. :loopy: I'm looking for a light blue sapphire stone to be used as a stacking ring, and until I was at the store looking at stones through a loupe for the very first time, and placing stones on my hand for comparison, I never realised just how substantial a 5x5 mm stone looked like. My index & middle fingers are about a size 8/9, but I'm really not a fan of big gemstones. Big pieces of rings that are non-gems are great, but not gemstones.

And I lurk around the forum so much that I also want an orange Spessarite now. Preciousss.... I want an Eye of Sauron.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's all about perspective. Looking at 5 x 5 mm stones on my hand seems very small. :lol:

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

Ryvyan, I know, seeing colored gemstones in person is so much fun right? I had the same experience recently, but be careful - it's bad for the pocketbook, especially when you fall in love with something you never even knew you wanted in the first place ;(

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok some new goodies I have coming to me! :naughty:

I cannot post pics coz I am at work (computer blocks it) but I can post links if you will bare with me...

Firstly some delicious apple green agate briolettes http://www.gemselect.com/agate/agate-330655.php These are going to be made into earrings to match my new dress ready for SIL wedding early next year.

Next just for fun a lovely pale lavendar/blue chalcedony cab http://www.gemselect.com/chalcedony/chalcedony-324015.php

Finally another cab - chrysoprase http://www.gemselect.com/chrysoprase/chrysoprase-276624.php Again a lovely apple green!

All from Gemselect and very reasonable prices. Let hope they turn out IRL to be as good as they look onscreen. :wavey:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Rvyvan, I'm one of the few small gemstone lovers here as well. My sweet spot is 5-6mm. Any larger and it just doesn't feel right on my fingers, which are not small (size 6.75). I'll set larger gems in a pendant but rarely in a ring. So I'm totally with you!

Anyway, I ended up with these two beauties and have sent them along to Daniel M. The large peridot is going in a pendant (true to form), and the unheated Umba sapphire will be in a two-tone ring with rose gold and silver.

2203301.jpg

lg-peridotasscher3_14ct.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

HotPozzum those cabs look lovely I'll keep my eye out for their setting thread. Though I must say that neither of the greens approach what I call a green apple (Granny Smith) :bigsmile: they should all look stunning.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

jstar - looking forward to seeing them set - the sapphire looks so pretty!

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock

I finally won an Uli auction! I've been looking around for pendants to wear for my wedding, and this stone is perfect for my colors, and is what I'm generally going for (not the most bright color, but a little flash of color when you are looking more closely). It's fairly small for a pendant (6.7 mm) but I like delicate jewelry. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive to make sure it'll work as well as I think it will!

Right now, I'm thinking of JAnish to set it, or DanielM... hopefully they'll be interested (I've had bad luck with talented people no longer taking outside stones right before I decide to ask them to set something).

I'm thinking a static pendant on a short (15-16 inch?) delicate silver chain, bezel set, possibly with either silver or gold granular clusters near where the bezel meets the chain... It works in my head, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone is struck by a fabulous idea. I just don't want it to flip around!

grossular_garnet_1.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

In keeping with my decision to make 2012 the "Year of the Setting", I finally dropped off this amazing Zambian amethyst cabochon from Dana at Mastercut Gems to be made into a pendant. The matching smaller pair have already been bezel set with 18k yellow gold and made into earrings. Right now I'm awaiting the designer's CAD. I normally give him free reign, since I love his work. Note the red light return from the incandescent lamp and the blue light return from the light coming through the window. This is a beautiful clean ammy and I decided from the start it deserved a quality setting.

http://www.svstudio.com/

amethyst_8734.jpg

amethyst_8751.jpg

amethyst8765.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

Moving forward with my vow to make 2012 the Year of the Setting for my many unset colored gemstones. I just approved this CAD from Stephen Vincent Design today for my Zambian amethyst cabochon from Dana at Mastercut Gems. I increased the size of the bail from 3mm to 4mm, but otherwise left it alone. The pendant is in 18k yellow gold with my Mastercut Gems Zambian amethyst cab and my tiny freebie chrome tourmaline from John at GemRite. I already set the chrome tourmaline pair from John in the ring below along with a faceted Zambian amethyst from Dana. Setting this big cabochon should complete my Zambian amethyst suite of pendant, earrings, and ring. I also have three amethyst briolettes cut by Richard Homer that have a similar color (and incredible red and blue sparkles in the right light) and can be worn either as a layered necklace or as a pendant and earrings.

ammypendantcad1.jpg

ammyring_8340.jpg

rhamex6.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Two beautiful sets of amethysts Flygirl. Love the pendant with it's simple design and touch of green and the briolettes are going to look a treat when you wear them!

TA: Forgot to say of course that the ring is already a stunner!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I adore that pendant design! It is so streamlined and the colors are stunning. LOVE IT!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bluebirrrd|1348064774|3270838 said:
Er, yes you are! :| I actually really like the little alex, which makes me think terrible thoughts of getting both. I'm really just trying to push the tsavorite out of my mind. Either that or go back and try to find something wrong with it that I didn't notice the first time. Though that could be dangerous.

Can I make a suggestion? If you are going to keep that Alex you need to get a lab report. If it comes back as natural then you need to keep it!!!! You can always buy another Tsav OR see if you can put a bit down on it now and pay over a few months????

Love your 3 stone combo. They're not colours I would normally go for but that combination is delicious.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Flygirl - Yummy!!!! Can't wait to see what you do. :love:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I gots a new stone. Woot!

ETA: Sorry for the terrible blurry pics, they are all I have at the moment.

red_and_pink.jpg

red_and_pink2.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Saturated! Now Freke, spill!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I must confess I don't have much to spill. I don't have any stats (roughly 1.4ish carats? No idea what the dimensions are.) but it faces up bigger than the red, which is 5.56 x 6.85 (from Peter). Mahenge. Bought secondhand. Originally from Tan. Has some inclusions, but I'm not bothered by them.

Another pic with my highly included Mahenge spinel in terrible lighting. (Look how yellow my hand looks.)

hot_pinks.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fly Girl - adorable pendant, and what a design! Cabs are in fashion now, and your stone has such a stunning color!

Freke - I like your Mahenge, and of course, many of them are included, and it is part of their beauty, the color is lovely, congratulations!

Two stones bought separately, a jeremevite from a collector, and a Mahenge, they are slightly different in size but look stunning together. I do not know whether an "old-style traffic light" pendant could be a good idea, (but what could be a matching stone?), or a pin with two stones on different sizes but closely enough?

Sorry for dark photo, this is evening fluorescent light.

two_stones.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gee whiz! Talk about electric or neon colour, Arkteia. The Mahenge is absolutely delicious! :love:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, thank you! But given the size...an ear stud or a navel piercing? =) what do you think?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

chloeishere|1352174712|3299634 said:
I finally won an Uli auction! I've been looking around for pendants to wear for my wedding, and this stone is perfect for my colors, and is what I'm generally going for (not the most bright color, but a little flash of color when you are looking more closely). It's fairly small for a pendant (6.7 mm) but I like delicate jewelry. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive to make sure it'll work as well as I think it will!

Right now, I'm thinking of JAnish to set it, or DanielM... hopefully they'll be interested (I've had bad luck with talented people no longer taking outside stones right before I decide to ask them to set something).

I'm thinking a static pendant on a short (15-16 inch?) delicate silver chain, bezel set, possibly with either silver or gold granular clusters near where the bezel meets the chain... It works in my head, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone is struck by a fabulous idea. I just don't want it to flip around!

This stone looks great! What are your wedding colors? I think it'll be a great pendant. Having a hard time imagining the granular clusters though...any pictures on that inspiration? I love how the stone looks...what types of qualities (scientifically) gives it that more opaque/cloudy look? Very cool!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fly Girl|1353788439|3314644 said:
Moving forward with my vow to make 2012 the Year of the Setting for my many unset colored gemstones. I just approved this CAD from Stephen Vincent Design today for my Zambian amethyst cabochon from Dana at Mastercut Gems. I increased the size of the bail from 3mm to 4mm, but otherwise left it alone. The pendant is in 18k yellow gold with my Mastercut Gems Zambian amethyst cab and my tiny freebie chrome tourmaline from John at GemRite. I already set the chrome tourmaline pair from John in the ring below along with a faceted Zambian amethyst from Dana. Setting this big cabochon should complete my Zambian amethyst suite of pendant, earrings, and ring.

This is going to be so yummy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results