shape
carat
color
clarity

Car troubles with the jag...so what now?

What now?

• Just the results, please.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to talk about money here...so I hope no one is offended. I don''t normally enjoy bringing out facts and figures...but in case, I need advice from car savvy people...

Today we had the diagnostic tests done on the jag...it wasn''t perfect....so, here is the problem.

For my husbands 30th I set aside 100k for the celebration. It seems like a lot, I realize this, but that included both his gift (classic car) and his party (Vegas). I planned the party first, and spent a lot. I didn''t leave myself much wiggle room for the car. I cannot really spend more, and I don''t really want to either. I don''t want to dip into savings, since that money has been set aside for other more tactile things.

The classic jag is being sold for 15k. It was originally listed for 23k...but I was able to haggle it down just due to the fact that the wood inside needs replacing, it could use a paint refresh, new hood orniment, maybe a new front drivers seat since the original one is worn...a few cosmetic things that will add up and max my budget out. I was good with these things and still considered the jag to be a good deal and very fair final price. The bones of car, miles and things like that were pretty fantastic...it only has 40,000 original miles, all repairs have been done at the jag dealership, it even has all the original reciepts.

Mark, is in love with the jag. Serious love. He has really talked about nothing since we saw it. I know his heart is set, and thats where I find myself pulled. The jag came back as "okay"...it will need some work in the near future. Frankly, this model of jag is known to have electrial problems. Repairs could be costly and not in the distant future either.

Mark has offered to sell his Explorer to cover the difference between the purchase price and the required fixes so that we''re not going to come out of pocket for anything. But in the Chicago winters I worry about him being "carless"...although he could easily take the bus to the train, or we could car pool. So the carless thing is a concern...but doable.

The following are my options at this point...please give me advice....thank you!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Italia this car is known to have issues as I mentioned in the other thread, the XJS is the type of car that you have to love and are willing to spend money maintaining it. If you don't mind this then go for it, otherwise don't. I would try to see if you can get the price down a bit more, that money would buy a pretty good example of an XJS here. I am a Jag owner and was speaking to my Jag garage about these a while ago, they see many XJS that have issues and always recommend a thorough pre purchase check - most of them need attention one way or another. They said to us if we were to consider one to definitely bring it to them before sealing the deal otherwise we could find ourselves parting with $1600 easily off the bat. You are probably aware these babies drink gas too?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 3:58:44 PM
Author: Lorelei
Italia this car is known to have issues as I mentioned in the other thread, the XJS is the type of car that you have to love and are willing to spend money maintaining it. If you don''t mind this then go for it, otherwise don''t. I would try to see if you can get the price down a bit more, that money would buy a pretty good example of an XJS here.
I guess I''m just stuck because this is a good Jag on the things that are hard to change. The body is good, the paint is acceptable, the miles are low, it''s been maintained and the current owner has addressed the issues he''s been faced with.

This model, in general, is going to probably be similar as far as issues are concerned. I mean, this model of this car has a consistant problem--electrical. I don''t think we''d ever be able to fully avoid it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/16/2009 4:07:03 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

Date: 7/16/2009 3:58:44 PM
Italia this car is known to have issues as I mentioned in the other thread, the XJS is the type of car that you have to love and are willing to spend money maintaining it. If you don't mind this then go for it, otherwise don't. I would try to see if you can get the price down a bit more, that money would buy a pretty good example of an XJS here.
I guess I'm just stuck because this is a good Jag on the things that are hard to change. The body is good, the paint is acceptable, the miles are low, it's been maintained and the current owner has addressed the issues he's been faced with.

This model, in general, is going to probably be similar as far as issues are concerned. I mean, this model of this car has a consistant problem--electrical. I don't think we'd ever be able to fully avoid it.
Some Jags do have electrical problems, my model is known for it, but so far not too much in the way of problems, its been a great car. As you know the production of the XJS finished years ago so what you have is an old car ( assuming it is the XJS model you are still considering). It is a labour of love with classic cars as you probably know, not something you buy for a runaround but as a car you will cherish and love, and not mind putting in the money or work to maintain it. They ARE beautiful cars and really any classic car you buy will have issues of some kind, it just depends on you. To be honest I would be concerned if it didn't come back with anything wrong with it, ok would be acceptable to me for the type of car it is with a pro's opinion, it sounds like Hubby is willing to make it work - not trying to influence you either way, just that if he loves it all classic cars can need different care to new and even if you chose another vintage Jag or other classic car you would probably have a similar dilemma.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Classic cars are going to be trouble & random extreme expense no matter what the car. I don''t think I''d ever want to count on one as a daily ride - or only available vehicle. Its truly a luxury purchase only & trading in one''s other car for that luxury seems unwise. ESPECIALLY considering you''re in Chicago & the winters won''t be easy for a classic Jag or many other classic cars. Snowtires?

Could he live with the car as is & keep the Explorer? Then he could, on his own timetable, save up himself for the repair fund & other perks he''d like to change about it? That seems more reasonable to me. And you''re not dependent on the luxury car. If it breaks you can wait a few months to fix it if necessary. Etc.

Are you sure this a time of life where you want the frustration & surprise expenses of a pretty clunker? Its a time consuming hobby & labor of love that he might not be as prepared for. Might be idealizing the purchase & lifestyle? There''s a saying about boat ownership being akin to standing in a cold shower & flushing hundred dollar bills down the toilet. That''s kinda how I see classic cars -- but its your $$$!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to add also these often have huge 4 and 5 litre V8/ V12 engines and they drink gas, is that ok with you? Insurance group will probably be very high too, don't know how auto insurance works in the US but here this type of Jag is in one of the highest groups to insure.

ETA- I like Deco's suggestion of keeping the Explorer if practical, buying this one but not having to use it as the main vehicle for him.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I voted no on the Jag. One of my good friends has had 2 vintage Jags and they''re always at the repair place for something even though they both checked out really well at the time of purchase. It''s become a running joke about where his car broke down or how long it will be in the shop. As well as how much money he''s put into these cars that he''ll never get back. Your hubby would be going from not very stylish but practical to very stylish but not practical. That''s a tougher trip to make than it sounds. How much does he like to walk when it''s 20 degrees and snowing outside?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would let Mark decide. If he wants the car and wants to deal with the possible repairs and it being in the shop and what not, then he could set aside hobby money to pay for those things. Or, he could find something that maybe doesn''t have the reputation of having so many problems.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
With a heavy heart we have have decided to pass on the Jag.

All told, we were looking at upwards of $10,000 USD to fix every little and big thing that was due or coming due.

In the end, I let Mark make the decision and told him I would support whatever he decided...and although he''s sad...he''s also realistic (it''s the banker in him). He knows that in the end it comes down to dollars and cents...and even without knowing about the birthday surprise ahead of him, he think that''s just way to much money to commit at this point in our life. That doesn''t mean we''ll never buy one, or something along those lines...but right now, it''s just to much out of pocket.

I feel relieved, to be honest. I want to buy him something nice, but not a money pit. I''m not worried about gas or even upkeep...but the basics, well those things matter. For what I''d be spending on this car, I could get him an almost new Jag at Carmax with a healthy warranty.

We''re not out of the game yet...but we''re moving on with our search. Please wish us luck, I''d love to find something soon...this process is emotionally and mentally draining.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OF COURSE I wish you luck Italia, this wasn''t the right one! There are other Jags out there so keep an eye open, if that is what Mark wants the Jag for you both will come along. That is a LOT of money to spend bringing it up to speed, I would pass too.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck, Italia! Hopefully you''ll find something perfect for your needs very soon!
1.gif

tigian

Ideal_Rock
You and Mark will find the perfect one!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Just want to wish you lots of luck! I know it was a very hard decision for Mark, but I''m really glad that he made what he felt was the most logical decision without getting wrapped up in his emotions. Smart! You guys can still search and will have a fabulous time in Vegas!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He really loves this car and knows that it might have big problems down the line - so - I would go ahead and buy it because he knows what he''s getting into and wants it anyway.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted before I read that he decided to pass on the Jag. I hope he finds something else that he likes as much.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about.....Offering the guy a bit less for it in view of the amount you will have to spend on repairs? Worth a try maybe? I was just looking at a PRISTINE example with very low mileage - absolutely beautiful and it was priced at around 20k USD- needed nothing, so you might be able to knock that price back a bit more.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
buy him a classic Vette.
36.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
A Jag can be costly to maintain. And they aren''t as reliable as you would hope. I''m of the ''buy something else'' crowd, I think.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Italia, I just saw your post. I'm very glad to see that you all decided to pass on the jag. My mom in on her second, strictly because of looks, and they are insanely expensive... everything about them. She is actaully having a head light replaced right now for an "at cost" price of $550.
One major thing that she has noticed about jags is that once something goes wrong, you will continue to fix the same problem over and over. Nothing is cheap and it is hardly ever available. Depending on how quickly you need a part, you sometimes end up paying as much in shipping as you do for the part you need.

I hope you all are able to find something better! I'm sure there is a car out there that he will love just as much!
4.gif

ETA: I should add... both of my mom's jags are from before Ford became the maker. I've been in newer models and they "americanized" the cars, so that they don't have all the problems with the weather like the old and classic models.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK - so out of 100k you only allowed 15k for the car? Can you alter the party plans and spend more on a car for him? Would he rather have the big, fabulous party in lieu of a car? While it all sounds like a lovely surprise, I think I''d have to get his input on spending this much money. I''d let him decide which part of the gift would be most important to him.

Jags are known for being problematic. Is there another type of car he would be interested in - even to make it a weekend driver instead of a daily driver?

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 9:24:06 PM
Author: MissGotRocks
OK - so out of 100k you only allowed 15k for the car? Can you alter the party plans and spend more on a car for him? Would he rather have the big, fabulous party in lieu of a car? While it all sounds like a lovely surprise, I think I''d have to get his input on spending this much money. I''d let him decide which part of the gift would be most important to him.

Jags are known for being problematic. Is there another type of car he would be interested in - even to make it a weekend driver instead of a daily driver?

I was thinking the same, maybe he rathers to have the car than spend 70K in a party. Maybe you still have time to cancel some of the things from the trip.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for the support...

We had an interesting development tonight, surprising...

But first, to touch on some things...

1. My budget, his party. When I went into planning, I knew nothing about classic/vintage cars. I did, however, know how plan a fantastic party. So, I took what I knew what to do and tackled that first. My original plan was to hand him a check for the car. I have booked everything and pre-paid for a lot of the things we''ll be doing. There is no way to go back now. That''s life I guess.

2. I know Jag''s are expensive to own. My first car was an S-type.

Now... the development...

Mark and I went to down town Aurora tonight to have a sandwich. On our way we saw a classic car shop. We pulled in, and right inside the was an older (not vintage) Jag. Low miles, good shape...but, heres the kicker...it''s slated to be "pimped". Fresh paint, new leather, rims, ect...top to bottom. They even had the diagnostic report showing things are perfect inside the car. Sales price with the new things...slightly over my budget, but not unrealistic. And, if we buy it before they start on the car, we get to pick our finishes.

We chatted for a while with the shop owner, flipped through his books of past work...everything looked lovely.

So, we''re going to "think"...but it''s on the radar. I''ll keep everyone posted!

Thanks for listening, everyone! Mark and I both appreciate it!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So maybe all is not lost! Here''s hoping this new car works out for him and is the one!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/16/2009 8:41:53 PM
Author: HollyS
A Jag can be costly to maintain. And they aren''t as reliable as you would hope. I''m of the ''buy something else'' crowd, I think.
Mine is, she is a super car!
30.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 6:29:59 AM

30.gif
I think, like with any car, it depends on your car. No, Holly, not all Jag''s are perfectly dependable...but not all Chevy''s are either. Like Lorelei said, her''s works wonderfully.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Anyone who has ever owned a British Leyland car knows they are notorious for electrical (and other) issues. Which one of us hasn''t stood in the repair line at the Leyland dealership and heard almost every single person bitching about their car? Yes, mine too was perfect. It was an exception. The other dozen folks were ready to kill with their multiple visits and continuing problems. They don''t call Lucas the "Prince of Darkness" for nothing.

You don''t buy a Jag for reliability, you don''t buy any vintage car for reliable transportation, you buy them in spite of the known issues.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2009 8:45:28 AM

Date: 7/17/2009 6:29:59 AM

30.gif
I think, like with any car, it depends on your car. No, Holly, not all Jag''s are perfectly dependable...but not all Chevy''s are either. Like Lorelei said, her''s works wonderfully.
This is true but I''m on my third jag now and have never had one bit of trouble with any of them.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 11:23:35 AM
Author: purrfectpear
Anyone who has ever owned a British Leyland car knows they are notorious for electrical (and other) issues. Which one of us hasn''t stood in the repair line at the Leyland dealership and heard almost every single person bitching about their car? Yes, mine too was perfect. It was an exception. The other dozen folks were ready to kill with their multiple visits and continuing problems. They don''t call Lucas the ''Prince of Darkness'' for nothing.

You don''t buy a Jag for reliability, you don''t buy any vintage car for reliable transportation, you buy them in spite of the known issues.
+1 on that. I loooove vintage european cars, but wouldn''t want one for my everyday transportation. But maybe this new car will work out for you since it checked out ok. Sounds good so far... hope it works out so you and your hubby can enjoy!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 12:18:24 PM
Author: Catmom

I think, like with any car, it depends on your car. No, Holly, not all Jag's are perfectly dependable...but not all Chevy's are either. Like Lorelei said, her's works wonderfully.
This is true but I'm on my third jag now and have never had one bit of trouble with any of them.
Really? That's awesome. I don't remember where you live Catmom, could you remind me?
Down here in the Texas heat, the glue that they use overseas to put everything together, only lasts a few summers, then everything starts bubbling, peeling, or plain just falls off. The cloth lining on the inside roof of the car is the worst. If you could see it, you would think that there is double sided tape holding that thing up.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2009 12:29:36 PM
Author: meresal

Date: 7/17/2009 12:18:24 PM
Author: Catmom

This is true but I''m on my third jag now and have never had one bit of trouble with any of them.
Really? That''s awesome. I don''t remember where you live Catmom, could you remind me?
Down here in the Texas heat, the glue that they use overseas to put everything together, only lasts a few summers, then everything starts bubbling, peeling, or plain just falls off. The cloth lining on the inside roof of the car is the worst. If you could see it, you would think that there is double sided tape holding that thing up.
I live outside of Chicago. So the only weather related problems are during the winter. Not so good driving on ice and snow.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results