shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you use an Ultrasonic Cleaner to often?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2006 2:29:02 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 1/30/2006 5:03:01 PM
Author: noobie
Speaking of US cleaners, I was in the back of Quest last week and noticed two 1 gallon cleaners. On was hot and one was cold. The hot GemOro one looked like it had been through the war. They told me it was something like 12 years old and the first one they ever bought. Still going strong with daily industrial use!
i love my GemOro but, it takes like 30 mins to fully heat up the solution.
7.gif
I looked at the GemOro US cleaners recently. The tiny 1 pint cleaner does not seem to come with heat unfortuantely. I like a very small cleaner since I generally clean a single item or maybe two at a time (and I prefer the look of something small sitting out there). The one I saw with heat was 2 quart. The unit is significantly more expensive, much larger, and that''s a lot of solution sitting in there for an extended period. I also did not know it took so long to heat. I was thinking it was more like 10 minutes. Does the heat make a significant difference in the results?

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Mine takes about ten minutes to heat up if I fill it up with hot water. The max temp is 85 degrees C, which is quite hot. I''ve been dumping the solution since I use water and Mr Clean.

Here is a picture of it. As I mentioned before, it is way more powerful then the plastic consumer one I had. You can also adjust the timer from 2 to 30 minutes or constant on. It really cleans well and I expect it to last a lifetime. The footprint is not that large, but it is a little heavy.

Crest-175HT.jpg

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Noobie. I need a new US. I''ve had a few over the years. The *consumer models* I have had eventually vibrate themselves to pieces or just go kaput over time, so when I replace the one I have now, I''d like something a bit more industrial. Do you think the heat makes a difference in the cleaning results?

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
I find the heat does make a difference. I used to heat teh water in a kettle for the plastic one and it was fine. The only thing is that it cooled down and I couldn''t maintain the temp.

I went through the same thing you did DL. I looked at the small L&Rs and Gemoros in the one pint models. At the end of the day I said what the heck and splurged. I went Crest for the SS exterior, the adjustable temp and the reasonable size footprint. I was going to get a Branson, but the tank was the same size with a huge footprint. It was about $200 with a basket. I need to buy a fine mesh basket since the studs fall through.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2006 8:08:18 PM
Author: ame

Date: 1/29/2006 11:13:00 PM
Author: tawn
My SI/US was waiting for me when I got home from Canada! I love it, but found that my ring looked really good after 2 cycles! But, I wear it all the time, even when I *gasp in horror* put lotion on, cook, etc...I only take it off to clean it! I''m soooo bad!!
I am so jealous.

Anyway...

I run my wedding ring through 3 cycles. First one, stronger solution, 2nd really mostly really hot water and a little solution, 3rd pure hot water. Rinsing the ring between and before I start the first cycle I spray with WF cleaner and scrub to loosen funk.

My e-ring I run through one time with solution, rinse and one time with really hot water.
Trust me, I''m as Obsessive Compulsive as they come! I would watch Friends on TV and wondered why everyone thought the stuff Monica did was so strange!?

Knowing my own OCD issues, and having had both bezel and prong rings over the years, made me realize that I "had" to have a bezel set ring for my own piece of mind. Otherwise I would be taking it in once a week to have it checked and probably wouldn''t enjoy it as much. So, I got the halo to spice up the bezel, and that diamond isn''t going anywhere! It''s pretty open underneath because of the split shank, so it''s easy to clean the underside too! When I talked to Whiteflash, I stressed that I was going to be wearing this 24/7 and that I''m a busy girl, which really means clumsy!

I love your idea about the 3 stage cycle thing! I''m going to have to try that out!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It seems to really get it spotless. I have to scrub first with the brush because I seem to get "skin bits" ALL over the stones. It helps dislodge the funk that builds up. The three cycles ensure there''s nothin left!

I don''t care for halos or bezels but they are starting to seem like something I *need* to like. I never freaking wear my stuff.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2006 10:06:14 PM
It seems to really get it spotless. I have to scrub first with the brush because I seem to get ''skin bits'' ALL over the stones. It helps dislodge the funk that builds up. The three cycles ensure there''s nothin left!

I don''t care for halos or bezels but they are starting to seem like something I *need* to like. I never freaking wear my stuff.
Skin bits? Eewww! If you''re not wearing it, whose skin bits?

Interesting fact...80% of household dust is apparently shed skin? I think my dust is because the dryer isn''t vented very well, and my lazyass husband won''t fix it!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha don't get me started on lazyass husbands.

If I dont use my sleeve or rubber gloves to hold my ring while I put it on...any little flakes of dead skin I might have on my fingers that aren't removed during handwashing will "stick" to the rings. And over time during the day, the rubbing of the stones next to my fingers makes the shedding skin cells come off and stick too.

Gross!

I *am* wearing them today. Ill be doing a full-scale inspection tonight though

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2006 11:40:06 AM
Author: noobie
I find the heat does make a difference. I used to heat teh water in a kettle for the plastic one and it was fine. The only thing is that it cooled down and I couldn''t maintain the temp.

I went through the same thing you did DL. I looked at the small L&Rs and Gemoros in the one pint models. At the end of the day I said what the heck and splurged. I went Crest for the SS exterior, the adjustable temp and the reasonable size footprint. I was going to get a Branson, but the tank was the same size with a huge footprint. It was about $200 with a basket. I need to buy a fine mesh basket since the studs fall through.
Otto Frei has fine and extra fine stainless steel mesh baskets.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2006 5:19:30 PM
haha don''t get me started on lazyass husbands.

If I dont use my sleeve or rubber gloves to hold my ring while I put it on...any little flakes of dead skin I might have on my fingers that aren''t removed during handwashing will ''stick'' to the rings. And over time during the day, the rubbing of the stones next to my fingers makes the shedding skin cells come off and stick too.

Gross!

I *am* wearing them today. Ill be doing a full-scale inspection tonight though
My husband is so lazyass that his complete body imprint is imbedded into the couch, probably along with lots of his skin-bits as well?! Gross...My girlfriend loves "his" spot on the couch! She claims that it just snuggles you? Doesn''t work for me, I''m just irritated that he''s warped the couch within a 2 yr period!

PS. Are the skin-bits the things I find floating around in the US cleaner?
emwink.gif
And, you don''t really use rubber gloves to put your ring on do ya?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband broke ours. In less than 6 months. He sits RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE. And doesn''t just sit nicely, flops his 300+ lbs right down.

I use little non-latex gloves like a nurse wears to clean and apply my rings. SOmetimes there are little nibblets of skin flakes, but rarely.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2006 7:34:37 PM
My husband broke ours. In less than 6 months. He sits RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE. And doesn''t just sit nicely, flops his 300+ lbs right down.

I use little non-latex gloves like a nurse wears to clean and apply my rings. SOmetimes there are little nibblets of skin flakes, but rarely.

Seriously, the cushions in ours sink down inside the frame! Next time, I''m buying one that''s Lazyass husband imprint proof! He won''t let anyone sit in his "spot" either...

On the rare occasions you actually wear your ring...do you wear your latex gloves over top for added protection?

BTW...love the term, "nibblets of skin flakes"!
14.gif
Yummy!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I should but I don''t, I am seriously looking into the "rubber bubble" idea I have concocted for my left hand. I wish rubber was clear.

I was so proud to have them on ALL day and most of the night yesterday. I haven''t put em on yet today. But I was at the jeweler we got my e-ring from eyeing up some 25pters for a 3 stone idea...the size looks fantastic next to my ering AND they told me the company is working on melee in that cut! *swoon*

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2006 1:17:56 PM
I should but I don''t, I am seriously looking into the ''rubber bubble'' idea I have concocted for my left hand. I wish rubber was clear.

I was so proud to have them on ALL day and most of the night yesterday. I haven''t put em on yet today. But I was at the jeweler we got my e-ring from eyeing up some 25pters for a 3 stone idea...the size looks fantastic next to my ering AND they told me the company is working on melee in that cut! *swoon*
Have you ever watched the movie, "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble" with John Travolta when he was really young? They sort of did a remake of it with Jake Glynnethal (sp?) a few years ago.

That could be a plan if they could scale it down for your hand!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bubble Boy!!!

I should be bubble hand.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Where are the people with good Photoshop skills when you really need them to create the "Bubblehand"!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am one of those people. I need to find a good photo to create the bubble. Maybe Ill work on that if Im bored at work monday ;-) Might as well get paid to make fun of myself ;-)

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2006 12:09:38 AM
I am one of those people. I need to find a good photo to create the bubble. Maybe Ill work on that if Im bored at work monday ;-) Might as well get paid to make fun of myself ;-)
Sounds like a good job to have!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha occasionally. ;-)

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Tonight, before the SuperBowl began, I brought my SI UltraSonic down to the kitchen so I could fill it with Dawn/Windex and hot water to clean my new ring while half-watching the SuperBowl... my DH has not yet experienced the SI US ...

A few minutes later, DH asks: Why does it sound like 2 locusts mating in the kitchen??!!

To which my youngest son responds: That''s just mom cleaning her diamond (again!)

Needless to say, I had to move the UltraSonic outside of the vicinity of our kitchen/family room, so my boys could continue to watch the game un-distracted.

I actually thought the description about "2 locusts mating" was quite accurate.
2.gif

I really love my UltraSonic - purchased on EBay at the suggestion of PriceScope!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s the best desciption yet, too funny.
3.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I had to put mine in the laundry room, and am only allowed to run it with the door closed. Strangely enough, the seem to bother dogs...and the male species!

ETA: I've been using Fantastik with the Oxypower...it's new and blue and smells good! I love it for various household chores and thought I'd try it with the US! Works great...hope it doesn't eat my ring!
emotion-40.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My aunt uses Kaboom on her honker. I need to snap a photo of that. But she hasn''t had any problems.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
my cats get freaked out by the noise.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2006 8:42:02 PM
Author: BrownEyes

A few minutes later, DH asks: Why does it sound like 2 locusts mating in the kitchen??!!

To which my youngest son responds: That''s just mom cleaning her diamond (again!)
Yanno, that''s probably the perfect description of the sound!!!! And hilarious to boot. Neither the cat nor DH seem to be bothered by the sound....I guess I''m lucky.
1.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Woot got my new cleaner

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So, after reading all 15 pages of the longest thread ever, I finally joined the flock and ordered the SI cleaner! I went through the SI ebay store, got one for 44.97 (buy it now price)...with tax and S&H it ended up being $62.04, but that''s better than paying full retail. I found some that were still 39.99 but I hate the bid and wait thing so I just bit the bullet and bought it. One of my friends bought herself one from the SI store here, so I had also seen and used hers, which made me all the less hesitant to go ahead and buy one sight unseen. I hadn''t read through this thread when she got hers, otherwise I would''ve gone on all of your advice, no problem.

So I do have one question, which I don''t think was addressed, forgive me if it was: my WB has invisible set princess stones. I read that even if a stone is loose (pave, etc.) if it falls out when you''re US-ing it, at least it''s in the cleaner. But if an invisible set stone falls out because it was already loose, will they all fall out? Even if the stones aren''t loose before I clean the ring, will the US loosen them? I usually use the little jar of jewelry cleaner and very gently brush the stones because I''ve read that brushing and invisible sets don''t mix.

Waited2Long

Shiny_Rock
BUMP!!!

Read this thread a while back. FINALLY bought a used cleaner from SI. WOW! My fiancee and I were both amazed. Before, she would spend 10 minutes every couple weeks with the cleaning kit that came with the ring. What a time saver! We used 50/50 ammonia/water as many people recommended. The ring came out just gorgeous.

Question: She didn''t use the basket, but let the ring sit on the bottom. Any risk fo scuffing or dulling the platinum by having it vibrate on its side like that?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doubt it! Congrats on your engagement!
36.gif
35.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought mine from a lady on ebay that had one and got another one for a gift so she listed the second one. It was brand new and I got it for $61.00!

My husband had put another electrical outlet in my cabinet (jumped from an electrical plug directly underneath) for an under the counter can opener I had years ago. Can opener gone - but the plug still there! So I put my new SI in the cabinet and can leave it plugged in all the time. I use it everyday - my obsession - and it works great. The noise is greatly muffled inside the cabinet but the cyle doesn''t last that long so no one complained about the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results