shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you use an Ultrasonic Cleaner to often?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Can we discuss Degassing !!? ha ha

Really, so I have to degas with every new refill of cleaner in my UltraSonic (Branson) ?

Ok I will make up a solution (heat it ?) then put in the US and turn on without the jewelry in it and then put the jewelry in after it goes through a cycle?

So confused.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2006 1:44:32 AM
Author: Mara
I agree, cleaning my ring with hot water and Mr. Clean in the US for 5 minutes gets my ring 99% as clean as the steamer at the local jeweler and I don''t have to make a trip!! Now I am so spoiled I clean it all the time at home and sometimes 2-3 times to get that 1000% sparkle. It always looks SOOO darn amazing when it''s clean.
I went nuts today. I might be over "solutioning" my stuff. I made a solution of 3tbsp mr clean antibacterial and 3-4 tbsp of sudsing ammonia and mix with a spoon. Then pour about half in the little cup and add water then my ring. Do you think that is too much solution for going just above the minimum fill line?

I mean the rings are super clean...I run it through the super cleaner solution 1 round on high, dump it, rinse the container once, fill with hot water again and just a drop of solution and go 2 rounds, then dump, rinse ring and container really well, then one more round in hot water, rinse and dry with a super soft paper towel. I just hope Im not overdoing the cleaners.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/15/2006 6:17:36 PM
Author: Ann
Can we discuss Degassing !!? ha ha

Really, so I have to degas with every new refill of cleaner in my UltraSonic (Branson) ?

Ok I will make up a solution (heat it ?) then put in the US and turn on without the jewelry in it and then put the jewelry in after it goes through a cycle?

So confused.
LOL, degassing is Dancing Fire''s area of expertise. Just kidding.

First congrats on buying a Branson US. Branson makes professional units that jewelers use and also one for consumer home use.

This is what my manual (L&R Quantrex Heated 2 qt) says about degassing:
If this is the first time you are running the cleaner or you have changed the cleaning solution, you must degas the solution. Fresh solutions contain many dissolved gasses which reduce effective ultrasonic cavitation (the formation and collapse of countless tiny cavities, or vacuum bubles, in the liquid). Although solutions will naturally degas over time, operating the machine for 5 - 10 minutes before using it to clean will accelerate the degas process.

Ultrasonic solutions contain a wetting agent which reduces the surface tension of the liquid and increases the ultrasonic cavitation. The increase in cavitation enhances the overall cleaning abilityof the process. This is another reason why water should never be used alone in a US.

Hope this helps.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2006 9:40:03 PM
Author: ame

Date: 1/14/2006 1:44:32 AM
Author: Mara
I agree, cleaning my ring with hot water and Mr. Clean in the US for 5 minutes gets my ring 99% as clean as the steamer at the local jeweler and I don't have to make a trip!! Now I am so spoiled I clean it all the time at home and sometimes 2-3 times to get that 1000% sparkle. It always looks SOOO darn amazing when it's clean.
I went nuts today. I might be over 'solutioning' my stuff. I made a solution of 3tbsp mr clean antibacterial and 3-4 tbsp of sudsing ammonia and mix with a spoon. Then pour about half in the little cup and add water then my ring. Do you think that is too much solution for going just above the minimum fill line?

I mean the rings are super clean...I run it through the super cleaner solution 1 round on high, dump it, rinse the container once, fill with hot water again and just a drop of solution and go 2 rounds, then dump, rinse ring and container really well, then one more round in hot water, rinse and dry with a super soft paper towel. I just hope Im not overdoing the cleaners.
All I have to say is I hope at this rate you are buying these cleaners at Costco. I fill mine up with cleaner and re use it for a few days. It has a lid so really no need to keep dumping it out unless your rings are super dirty, which knowing you, I highly doubt. XX00 Lisa
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't worry too much about over solutioning on platinum because it's supposed to be able to handle harsh chemicals...

Here's what I do with mine...

Heat up a small mug of water in the microwave for 1 minute til it's boiling hot.
Pour it into the US cleaner typically up to the min line.
Pour about 1-2 tablespoons of Mr Clean in
Put 2 drops of dishwashing cleaner in
Add 4-5 sprays of Windex
At this point it's typically midway between the min and max and sometimes closer to min.
Then I run it on high and if I have time I run it a 2nd time.
Dump out the solution.
Rinse the rings out under running water for about 30 full seconds and paper towel dry.

I don't reuse the solution because the icky stuff rises to the top and floats and typically ends up being a thin layer of dirt and oils (lotions, skin oils etc) and so it grosses me out. Plus I have yet to go through an entire bottle of Mr Clean yet and it's been how many months since I got the cleaner? So I guess I don't need to conserve it or anything, but that reminds me I do need to get a new MC bottle soon!

But I think the way you are doing it is fine too...whatever makes you feel comfortable but I don't like to use TOO much of the cleansers.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use lint free TP to dry my rings (Cottonelle is my fav). If you use paper towels, make sure they are lint free.
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/16/2006 12:42:52 AM
Author: kaleigh
I use lint free TP to dry my rings (Cottonelle is my fav). If you use paper towels, make sure they are lint free.
2.gif
or use one of those dust off air sprays .
2.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2006 12:42:52 AM
2.gif
I use those cloths you get from the optometrist for your eyeglasses...no lint to be left behind.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if my PT''s are lint free but they don''t leave anything behind so that''s good! I am more apt to get a Portia hair stuck in one of my prongs than to see lint...heee.

BSHAW

Rough_Rock
I know this is an impossible question but I just ordered the SI Ultrasonic for my fiance and I wanted to go get the stuff to make the solution to clean it with so when it gets here she can use it but there are so many different opinions on what cleaners to put in the machine from Windex, Mr. Clean, Amonia, and even just water?? Here engagement ring is white gold and now people are talking about damaging by using too much amonia, She also has some silver Tiffany stuff that I don''t want her to damage so what should I have her use for these different metals? I want to use something strong so she can have that WOW effect many of you talked about in this thread but I don''t want her to damage any of her jewelry. Is half amonia half water safe for use on white gold? What are your best solutions now?

Also how long do you leave it in the solution?? Do you put it in the solution run the US for one cycle and then pull it back out or do you let it sit first or after? Do most of you run multiple cycles?

I know alot of these questions were talked about earlier in this post (Yes I read the whole thing!!!) but most of them were from when you were just getting your new machines and testing it. I want the new info since you all have had yours for a little while.

Thanks in advance for all your help as ussual!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
First, I don''t know if half ammonia half water is ok on wg - I''ve never used that much ammonia when using my US cleaner. Lately I''ve been using about 20 squirts of windex, then dropping in a drop of dish soap, then filling halfway between the min and max fill lines with very hot water (just from running the tap till it''s pretty hot). I do one cycle. I do not soak the rings beforehand in the solution, or after (I don''t want the chunks of dirt I''ve dislodged to fall back into any crevices by sitting in the dirty solution). You cannot clean tarnished silver in the regular US cleaner - it won''t work. You need silver cleaning solution (for use with the new SI deluxe ultrasonic) or a silver polishing cloth - but what is described above will not clean tarnished silver.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
For my white gold pieces I do a few sprays of a white gold cleaner or similar, dishsoap and super hot microwaved water.

It really can't take the harsh chemicals like ammonia or mr. clean or really even long-term windex from what we have read or else I believe it destroys the plating faster?

I would take it easy on the white gold stuff. Also, be careful what you put in there, I put a silver plated pair of earrings in and the plating totally was eaten away by the chemicals and they were ruined, dumb lesson but it stuck.

Oh and I don't typically leave my stuff in before or after but sometimes if I am getting ready or something it stays in the US for 5-10 min afterwards...but I typically try to take them out right away and rinse them off and let them dry.

Good luck!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought an SI Ultrasonic on e-bay today..hope it works well!
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You will love it Princess V. I use mine all the time. It is amazing how clean your jewelry gets!!!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Kaleigh! I feel like I''m jumping the gun since I have no jewelery atm!
39.gif
23.gif
2.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Well I just replaced my Cody ultrasonic. It was an oval plastic one similar to ones you see all over ebay for $30-$50. It did a good job, better than virtually any other method (gem care, a highly rated spray that''s banned here, toothbrush scrubbing, etc)

I replaced it with a Crest heated 2 quart. In researching, the L&Rs, Branson, GemOro seemed very similar. I found the Branson had a far too large footprint. In the end I went with Crest because of the stainless versus painted exterior.

I have to say, the difference between the industrial model and the ebay model is like night and day. This thing is very powerful and keeps the solution at almost 200 degrees. After one cleaning, the pieces look like they came from the jewelers. I don''t know how the SI cleaners compare, but I can certainly say the industrial models really clean well.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Princessv told me that Pete at Quest said to use the UC for my asscher ring. Apparently Pete puts the rings in his industrial UC for many hours at a time before the rings get sent out to test the strength of the micro pave. Well, just cleaned my asscher ring in my SI UC, and no problems. Thanks Princessv for passing that info along to me!!!!
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2006 4:14:33 PM
Author: noobie
Well I just replaced my Cody ultrasonic. It was an oval plastic one similar to ones you see all over ebay for $30-$50. It did a good job, better than virtually any other method (gem care, a highly rated spray that''s banned here, toothbrush scrubbing, etc)

I replaced it with a Crest heated 2 quart. In researching, the L&Rs, Branson, GemOro seemed very similar. I found the Branson had a far too large footprint. In the end I went with Crest because of the stainless versus painted exterior.

I have to say, the difference between the industrial model and the ebay model is like night and day. This thing is very powerful and keeps the solution at almost 200 degrees. After one cleaning, the pieces look like they came from the jewelers. I don''t know how the SI cleaners compare, but I can certainly say the industrial models really clean well.
noobie
you''ll love it.yes,i think they''re all similar
34.gif
cflutist bought the 2 qt heated L&R and i bought the 2 qt heated GemOro,i paid $190 for mine so it''s not really that expensive.it came with a 16 ring rack. i can clean up to 16 rings at a time.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need to post a pic of you cleaning 16 rings DF.
31.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2006 5:18:45 PM
Princessv told me that Pete at Quest said to use the UC for my asscher ring. Apparently Pete puts the rings in his industrial UC for many hours at a time before the rings get sent out to test the strength of the micro pave. Well, just cleaned my asscher ring in my SI UC, and no problems. Thanks Princessv for passing that info along to me!!!!
9.gif
31.gif
You''re welcome my dear! *sparkle sparkle*

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2006 10:11:46 PM
31.gif
kaleigh
my wife only have 5 rings
7.gif
now, if you send me 11 of your rings
20.gif
then i have a full rack.
31.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2006 10:56:31 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 1/17/2006 10:11:46 PM
31.gif
kaleigh
my wife only have 5 rings
7.gif
now, if you send me 11 of your rings
20.gif
then i have a full rack.
31.gif
What a crack up, as I was going to ask to borrow some of yours.
31.gif
I don''t have 11 rings, I wish.
20.gif

glitterkitty

Shiny_Rock
I''ve just seen this thread and had to share my experience of US. Mine is one from a jewellers chain here in the uk, and I was a little sceptical as to the effect I would see.

The first time I cleaned my stuff didn''t really seem to make much difference from my putting them in detergent with hot water and cleaning them with a brush. I was particularly disappointed with a pave heart necklace I received for Christmas - it looked white, but there was still no sparkle
7.gif

I tried putting more cleaning solution in than was recommended and blitzed my rings and necklace for longer than they said and ...

OMG WOW!
emsmiled.gif

My rings look brand spanking new - like Mara said, even the metal looks like it hasn''t been worn - and my necklace finally sparkles and twinkles like I hoped it would. I put my stuff in every single day while I''m getting my son ready for school, take it out and leave it to dry on a paper towel - and its ready to put on as we go out the door. I also reuse the solution a couple of times and it still gives the same brilliant results.

DH is also much happier as we no longer have little dishes of detergent all over the house!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
So...my SI US arrived this Thursday and I brought it back to clean some of my mother''s jewelry since I don''t have my ring atm
39.gif
! But seriously it works great so much dirt and gunk was floating at the top it was disgusting!
6.gif
Most of her jewelery sparkles big time now so I hope she''ll be happy when she gets home from work tonight.
31.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
My SI/US was waiting for me when I got home from Canada! I love it, but found that my ring looked really good after 2 cycles! But, I wear it all the time, even when I *gasp in horror* put lotion on, cook, etc...I only take it off to clean it! I''m soooo bad!

I got the one off Ebay and it looked brand new! It looked like it was going to be big, so I loved how tiny and cute it really is!

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve joined the US club too! At first I thought I did a pretty good job myself cleaning my rings, but after reading all 15 pages of this thread I decided to get one.
2.gif
I too bought the SI one off of E-bay and I am pretty darned impressed. Whenever my family comes over I have a ring cleaning party. Sadly, the only time my family cleans their rings is when I do it! What is wrong with these people?
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ended up getting another one to give my SIL as a birthday gift...that makes 4 that I''ve given as gifts already! She always asks me to clean her rings when she comes over - so I''m sure she''ll love having her own soon.
2.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Speaking of US cleaners, I was in the back of Quest last week and noticed two 1 gallon cleaners. On was hot and one was cold. The hot GemOro one looked like it had been through the war. They told me it was something like 12 years old and the first one they ever bought. Still going strong with daily industrial use!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2006 11:13:00 PM
Author: tawn
My SI/US was waiting for me when I got home from Canada! I love it, but found that my ring looked really good after 2 cycles! But, I wear it all the time, even when I *gasp in horror* put lotion on, cook, etc...I only take it off to clean it! I''m soooo bad!!
I am so jealous.

Anyway...

I run my wedding ring through 3 cycles. First one, stronger solution, 2nd really mostly really hot water and a little solution, 3rd pure hot water. Rinsing the ring between and before I start the first cycle I spray with WF cleaner and scrub to loosen funk.

My e-ring I run through one time with solution, rinse and one time with really hot water.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2006 5:03:01 PM
Author: noobie
Speaking of US cleaners, I was in the back of Quest last week and noticed two 1 gallon cleaners. On was hot and one was cold. The hot GemOro one looked like it had been through the war. They told me it was something like 12 years old and the first one they ever bought. Still going strong with daily industrial use!
i love my GemOro but, it takes like 30 mins to fully heat up the solution.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results