carat
color
clarity

Calling two-tone lovers!

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello!

I have a two toned solitaire design I’m thinking of starting and am looking for opinions on where the gold band should stop and how/where to transition to platinum.

Do I make the whole basket and donut base platinum and then the band and cathedral shoulders 18kt yellow?

Would it look more streamlined to make the donut base yellow gold and only have the prongs and basket airline platinum?

Please post your rings for inspiration too! I’m loving warm, classic gold lately!

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock
I think it depends on the overall design of the ring and how complex it is as there could be other natural "stopping points" of where each metal begins/ends.

My solitaire is very simple and doesn't have a traditional round donut, so for me I think it looks best with just the basket/prongs in platinum!

no_IMG-6656.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My two toned three stone ring. When on the finger, you can barely see the yellow gold shank but you do of course see the platinum prong work.
152FD5CF-9A18-4D70-A00D-0D34D1F459D1.jpeg

Attachments

• FC87E543-3F3B-40A1-B971-230615512A22.jpeg
    FC87E543-3F3B-40A1-B971-230615512A22.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 16

Star gazer

Shiny_Rock
In first pic, there is the white gold basket (18k) and then you can see where the 18k yellow gold begins. Then it continues back to wg all the way down the band.
Second pic is not two-tone. But he used platinum for the basket, and 18k white gold for the rest of the band. 20230228_185912.jpg

Attachments

• 20230228_190110.jpg
    20230228_190110.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 6

Star gazer

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure if I'm using correct term, when I say basket.. but basically this whole part is platinum. Band is wg 20230228_190110~2.jpg

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on the overall design of the ring and how complex it is as there could be other natural "stopping points" of where each metal begins/ends.

My solitaire is very simple and doesn't have a traditional round donut, so for me I think it looks best with just the basket/prongs in platinum!

no_IMG-6656.jpg

Your ring is classic!! I love how it allows a flush fit band!

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My two toned three stone ring. When on the finger, you can barely see the yellow gold shank but you do of course see the platinum prong work.
152FD5CF-9A18-4D70-A00D-0D34D1F459D1.jpeg

I’m so glad you chimed in! I love your ring that sideview is (chef’s kiss!) ! So you feel like I should keep the base and band all the same metal? I’ll try to find an example of what I’m asking. I feel like I’m not finding the right words.

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
In first pic, there is the white gold basket (18k) and then you can see where the 18k yellow gold begins. Then it continues back to wg all the way down the band.
Second pic is not two-tone. But he used platinum for the basket, and 18k white gold for the rest of the band. 20230228_185912.jpg

Thank you for the photos, that makes me feel like I definitely want the prongs platinum but the parts that touch my hand to be all the same metal!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so glad you chimed in! I love your ring that sideview is (chef’s kiss!) ! So you feel like I should keep the base and band all the same metal? I’ll try to find an example of what I’m asking. I feel like I’m not finding the right words.

No, not necessarily. I guess it depends on the jeweler and where he is comfortable starting and stopping different metals. I think the bridge (part of shank running underneath the diamonds) could have been platinum too and looked fine. It was done the way it was and I am thinking it might have been more deliberate than I ever really thought about. Perhaps for strength or aesthetic? Not entirely sure.

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
56A424A8-2FBC-4E7E-9992-F1E9D94A7C82.jpeg

Here’s a portion of the cad. The purple is plat, the green is 18kt yellow gold.

Should I have the white circled area be gold also? Will it make the prongs less stable and weaker than going all platinum?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Should I have the white circled area be gold also? Will it make the prongs less stable and weaker than going all platinum?

I honestly don’t know - the bench jeweler would have to be the expert here I guess. Are you asking for the aesthetic look or for the structural integrity of the ring? I honestly think it would look good either way.

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I honestly don’t know - the bench jeweler would have to be the expert here I guess. Are you asking for the aesthetic look or for the structural integrity of the ring? I honestly think it would look good either way.

Aesthetically speaking. I didn’t even think about where the two toned pieces would start and stop, which got me looking up images here for hours today.

DK knows his stuff and I trust that he wouldn’t offer a design that would run the risk of damage. The band should be about 2.2mm wide if I remember right!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aesthetically speaking. I didn’t even think about where the two toned pieces would start and stop, which got me looking up images here for hours today.

DK knows his stuff and I trust that he wouldn’t offer a design that would run the risk of damage. The band should be about 2.2mm wide if I remember right!

My band is about the same height so you really couldn’t see the difference when worn together - at least not from one side.

Attachments

• 8DEAB81B-556A-453C-BB4D-1BF8A0E16406.jpeg
    8DEAB81B-556A-453C-BB4D-1BF8A0E16406.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 21
  • A1EDB381-8E4C-49C9-B53F-27640BBB57C6.jpeg
    A1EDB381-8E4C-49C9-B53F-27640BBB57C6.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 21

Star gazer

Shiny_Rock
I always wondered why my jeweller added this line of platinum.. I used to think it took away from the stone, somehow. But then I remember him saying "this stone is not going anywhere, ever". 20230228_190110~3.jpg

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My band is about the same height so you really couldn’t see the difference when worn together - at least not from one side.

Great point. I’m having him make a matching band at the same time, so that’s something to think about too.

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I always wondered why my jeweller added this line of platinum.. I used to think it took away from the stone, somehow. But then I remember him saying "this stone is not going anywhere, ever". 20230228_190110~3.jpg

That’s what I want to hear, like a seatbelt.

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have this one. excuse the bad photo and fuzz, but I think the question is how much of the yellow gold do you want to see?
01763c0c8b523c10d9dda621760a370f6f350a052c.jpg

I LOVE all the milgraining!! Who did your setting?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My two-tone...it now has a green stone in it and not a diamond.

aca ring 1.jpg

Last edited:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm struggling a little with this lol - idk, to me @MissGotRock's ring is the most similar to yours in design so far, and it does seem to look cohesive with the yg donut. I'm having trouble picturing what your ring would look like IRL with the platinum bottom. But then I think DK must have chosen to do it in platinum for a reason. I'm sorry, I'm not much help!

ETA - ok, after looking at stargazer's ring and picturing just the cathedral sides in Yg, I think it would look good. Now I'm thinking that doing it either way would look fine!

Last edited:

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm struggling a little with this lol - idk, to me @MissGotRock's ring is the most similar to yours in design so far, and it does seem to look cohesive with the yg donut. I'm having trouble picturing what your ring would look like IRL with the platinum bottom. But then I think DK must have chosen to do it in platinum for a reason. I'm sorry, I'm not much help!

ETA - ok, after looking at stargazer's ring and picturing just the cathedral sides in Yg, I think it would look good. Now I'm thinking that doing it either way would look fine!

I have attached a cad photo above, I wish he would do it in silver and gold coloring like Jon at DG does so I could get a better visual. Purple and green don’t give me the same effect. Lol!!

*adding I think her ring was made for a more flush-fit look with the band. David just emailed be back and raised the same question about the gap between the band. I didn’t think there would be such a large space!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have attached a cad photo above, I wish he would do it in silver and gold coloring like Jon at DG does so I could get a better visual. Purple and green don’t give me the same effect. Lol!!

*adding I think her ring was made for a more flush-fit look with the band. David just emailed be back and raised the same question about the gap between the band. I didn’t think there would be such a large space!

Oh yes, I saw the cad but I guess because of the different colors I was having trouble visualizing! It's hard to tell how large the donut is in that cad...are you ok with a largish gap?

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock

The area circled may affect the color reflected in your diamond, FYI. I have a solitaire set with a platinum bezel with the gallery, bridge and shank in 14 kt rose gold. My stone is also set low like yours. I feel it added a little warmth to the diamond which I am personally more than OK with.
I agree that changing the metal may weaken the prongs? Are you working with David Klass? If so, I would ask their opinion. That may make the decision easier.

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, I saw the cad but I guess because of the different colors I was having trouble visualizing! It's hard to tell how large the donut is in that cad...are you ok with a largish gap?

I’m unsure how big the donut is and have emailed him back a few times today in regards to the size. He has suggested a few changes that would lessen the gap that he said he would show me.

The band is about 2mm wide, do you think increasing the band width would then make the space between them smaller? I’m ok with a gap, it comes with the elongated stone territory. I have short stumpy fingers and would like to be able to stack two bands if I can do it without looking like a cabbage patch hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results