shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling for VALERIA101''s help...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Post the link using the little world button when you reply! :)

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Little world? What in the world??

Here is a cathedral I like and it''s 2.5mm... bout the thinnest I''ve seen. Do the arms curve the right way? Could the head be switched out?

http://www.winkjones.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16292&cat=260&page=1

Here''s another:

http://www.winkjones.com/xcart/customehttp://www.winkjones.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16358&cat=260&page=1

And,here''s a tulip head I really, really like. It appears "cuppy," not "tall and stalky," and I think my girl''d really like it. Maybe we don''t need a cathedral afterall... But, is it like this because of the size, shape, or something else? Does it appear that the diamond sits high to anyone else?

http://www.winkjones.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16358&cat=260&page=1

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I like the last one with the tulip head best!! Plus, I have always thought that cathedral settings made the stone sit higher and your gf said she wanted a low set diamond. Either way I think you are really on the right track!

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
I wonder how thick the band is, though. Didn''t say. Hmm....

Wonder if it''s a Stuller setting, although the head looks different to me than the Stuller tulipheads...

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Wow, Wink''s people reply fast!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I personally liked the fine line solitaire idea from WF the best. It was still reasonably priced, and seemed leagues ahead, quality-wise, than the other bands in these two threads (except the gorgeous but expensive Nikawa). Looks like a much more expensive piece of jewelry in my opinion.

And the best part is, you said your girl was really excited about the idea! Perhaps if you tinker with an idea she likes it may go awry...

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I''d not thought of that, Wallermama. I don''t want to do anything that''ll make her uneasy, or worse yet, mess up something she thinks is so great. She did call me, all giddy.

But, when I told her about Wink, she got all excited to email them. Then when they replied, she called me the instant she got the reply, and forwarded it to me. Mostly, I think she liked that they were posted as cheaper. She doesn''t like to think of me spending a lot of money, I don''t think.

If she keeps coming back to the WF idea from today, I''ll go that route. I do think she likes the idea of seeing if we can find a cathedral a little closer to the curving effect of the niwaka cathedral, though.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
9.gif
Waller,

Sleekline and fine line from WF are different, and they quoted from sleek, but I don''t know the difference, really.

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Argh ~

That post by Valeria looks like the PERFECT setting for your girl ... I really like it much better than the first one with the by-pass around the diamond ...

OOPS ... I didn't read all the way through this thread before posting ... I also REALLY like the proportions of the last one you posted from Wink's website ... Wink's settings really appear to represent quality and a great value, PLUS as you noted, the head is much more 'cuppy' than most of the other tulip-heads you've considered.

BTW: Have you put a hold on that stone yet?

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Brown,

I''m excited, and I don''t see how the setting looks less in quality, either. Looking at the two, side by side, I think they look the same, only the cathedral curls more, like what she liked about the niwaka to begin with. Only hope it''s not a wide band. And that the head can be changed from what was posted on the site.

I''ve not held a stone yet. I''m trying to decide between the .42 and the .468; yeah I know, I better decide or they''ll both be gone.

Given there is minimal difference in the size, visually, I think the .42 speaks to my girl more. She told me she has it saved on her computer at work, and that she looks at it when she''s procrastinating. THAT says something, nonw doesn''t it?

Still, if this ends up being something I can get a setting that she LOVES for less than 300, I can get a slightly better diamond, perhaps.

Long answer just to say, "no, I''ve not purchased a stone yet."
20.gif

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
I just emailed her what Valeria did with the comparison between the WF and the Wink settings... she literally SQUEALED! Asked if it was "outrageously priced," and when I told her no, it was actually less, she squealed some more.

I did warn her that I dont know about the head being changed like that, and that I don''t know the thickness, but I don''t know that she was paying any attention.

She thinks that''s her own little Niwaka now...

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Argh,
I will give you my word that the setting I have from Wink is only of top quality. It is not cheap in the least. And anyone that speaks to Wink himself knows that he''s not a skimp on quality kind of guy. I personally highly, highly recommend anyone to work with him. Even if you don''t end up going with him, he''s a top notch kind of guy and will only give you the best advice and offers superior customer service. I can''t say enough good things about him. I don''t have the same setting you are talking about. I do know the one you''ve posted. It is similar to mine but definitely thinner in the band and the arms come up a bit higher than the cathedral (or at least it looks that way). Wow...that setting that valeria put together with the tulip head looks great once again
30.gif
. It''ll all work out in the end and you''ll get something fabulous for her!!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2006 10:15:19 PM
Author: argh&stuff

I did warn her that I dont know about the head being changed like that, and that I don't know the thickness, but I don't know that she was paying any attention.

The shank and head come separately and it looks like they can be combined. Somewhere on the listings it says these are from a different maker (Roseco?), not Stuler - and die struck, which sounds like a good thing to me (the parts are supposed to be denser, take a higher polish and last better through wear than castings).

As much as I can tell, the shank could be made half a millimeter narrower and if you want it narrowed down like that, I'd rather have it polished only towards the front, so that as much of the ring as possible retains its width, thickness and weight.

'Bet the folk at Wink's can answer such questions for you - it isn't a huge shop so person to person service is the norm
5.gif

Can't see any round diamonds under half a carat on their website, but wonder if one could be found for you. The shop certainly understands H&A. However, if you end up with the diamond from another seller, this wouldn't be a first either.

Best of luck!
1.gif

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
You are right, Valeria.

Wink says (via my girl) that they have it available in 2.5mm, and they say it can be in white gold. And, they say it''s not a big deal at all to place a tulip head in it (but, it is a Stuller head, by the way
7.gif
) and that it won''t cost anything more to do that.

To get it in the right size for her little finger will add a bit of money, but it''s still a good deal less than I was expecting to have to pay.

I just want to make sure I make the right decision. My girl''s not really saying a lot as to which is her favorite. I think she''s nervous about the stone sitting higher if it''s on a cathedral band.

She''s also a little anxious about whether or not it looks like the Niwaka, or if it''s too bulky in comparison. She told me just to do what I think''s best. Heck, I don''t know what I think''s best!

Small, is shipping expensive for Wink?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2006 7:08:53 PM

She''s also a little anxious about whether or not it looks like the Niwaka, or if it''s too bulky in comparison.
Niwaka ring is a cathedral; setting! One difference apparent between my doodles and that setting is the way the head and band are assembled. On the Niwaka ring the ''petals'' do not ''end'' before the head connects with the band underneath - and this makes the head lower. Perhaps something similar can be done assembling the parts from Stuller and whoever-makes-the-die-struck-cathedral-shanks-from-Wink.

Just ask the guys to be extra paranoid about the finish and setting - the fact that the website of the shop starts with a little page about how important finish details are on semi-finished jewelry parts... sounds reassuring enough.

Of course I didn''t take that much care to produce cute pictures like Niwaka has - if you''d believe them, every Niwaka ring is made of clouds and sun beams and every other on the planet of mud
11.gif
It is all metal worked by humans, I can assure you.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
haha, Valeria.

I don''t know why I''m so nervous, but I am. I just want to do the right thing here. And the fact that this is so much less than what I was quoted for a "replica" is a little un-nerving, but hey, I''m happy about it, too.

So, I''ll try to remember to ask for the head to be set so that the bottom of it sets lower into the shank. Is that right? In doing that, would it make the head sit lower than the arms of the cathedral? That would look alien-like.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aline? No. I am sure this thread contains every bit of info needed for the guys at Wink's to know what you are after, and how high expectations this relatively easy project needs to stand to! ;-)

I wouldn't worry about the difference of quotes between WF's and this. It would have been a different process (imagining some casting - dunno) and it isn't common for jewelry prices to reflect costs anyway.

TULIPrevisited.JPG

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Wink said that if I get the setting, then the stone, he can send the setting to WF to have the stone placed in it. Would it be better to ask Wink to do it?

I''ll definitely remember to ask to do away with the basket portion of the head, and have the head meet the shank at the beginning of the petal.

Would they tell me that the arms of the cathedral would sit higher than the stone if they did this, if that were to happen? Or would they assume I want it to look like that? I''m seeing hands dangling above the stone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2006 7:44:06 PM

Would they tell me that the arms of the cathedral would sit higher than the stone if they did this, if that were to happen? Or would they assume I want it to look like that? I'm seeing hands dangling above the stone.
That would be quite weird - I'd bet if the relative size of the shank and head allow this (and remember that I did not know the actual size of them when making the drawing!), those tapering arms would be brought down to size and angled to fit the head of the ring. I doubt any ring has been or will be made with those sticking out.

IMO, they will try to make the ring look as much like the Niwaka model as possible. You might want to ask beforehand what if any substantial difference is unavoidable.

As for who does the setting - I doubt it matters much between two shops with such excellent track record. Whichever takes less time would work best for me.

IMO, as usual
34.gif

'Feel like Wink's workshop would be in the back room! And so understand why this sort of communication cannot be done from the other side of the world well.
12.gif
You really do need to talk with the shop. I can't really help.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
I understand, Valeria.

I''ll email a copy of your picture, and ask what things would be unavoidable in making it look alike, as you suggested.

I guess I am being ridiculous, thinking they''d send something out with arms looming above a diamond.

I just don''t want my girl disappointed with the outcome, whoever does it.

Thanks so much for your help though; my girl''s been giddy about it all day. I think I''ll hear about it until it''s finally on her finger, then forever after that, too.
2.gif

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2006 7:08:53 PM
You are right, Valeria.

Wink says (via my girl) that they have it available in 2.5mm, and they say it can be in white gold. And, they say it''s not a big deal at all to place a tulip head in it (but, it is a Stuller head, by the way
7.gif
) and that it won''t cost anything more to do that.

To get it in the right size for her little finger will add a bit of money, but it''s still a good deal less than I was expecting to have to pay.

I just want to make sure I make the right decision. My girl''s not really saying a lot as to which is her favorite. I think she''s nervous about the stone sitting higher if it''s on a cathedral band.

She''s also a little anxious about whether or not it looks like the Niwaka, or if it''s too bulky in comparison. She told me just to do what I think''s best. Heck, I don''t know what I think''s best!

Small, is shipping expensive for Wink?
I don''t know...I got everything from him so my shipping was free. I wouldn''t imagine its more than from anyone else. I paid Richard Sherwood (appraiser) $28-30 I think then insurance so maybe 50 bucks or so to get it here overnight fedex. I''ll look back over my emails and see if I can find the exact shipping amount I paid. I''m guessing it wouldn''t be more than what I paid to have Rich ship it to me from Florida.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Ok Argh...I just looked at my shipping charges from Rich in Florida
38.00 fed ex overnight + 3.00/thousand insurance charges.
Not bad at all!

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
I hear you, Small. Not bad at all.

I got an email from Wink suggesting I pass that picture Valeria made to WF for when they place the head on the shank, and the the stone on the head.

I guess he just thinks that''s the way it should go. Surely both companies would be able to do it. (He said it shouldn''t be a problem for him to do it, so I guess WF would have the same skills.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results