shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all the Pregnant PS''ers

Buttons

Shiny_Rock
Congrats Steph!!!!! And welcome baby Eleanor :) :) :)

Dani, good to see you! Sorry to hear the heat is zapping you. I am feeling it too and it's not even all that hot here. Your 3D ultrasound photo is gorgeous - baby looks so peaceful and sweet in there!!!

monkey I think that ultrasound photo is fantastic! Baby is like 'yippee look at MEEEEEE Mom and Dad!!!' I think it's adorable :)

amc the people in your class and my pregnancy police idiots should all meet up. They'd probably get along like a house on fire, and the results would be hilarious to boot... :roll:

Petitepoire I saw that MRI video a couple of weeks ago, both my antenatal teacher and my yoga teacher showed it. Apparently that is all they released and they had to turn the machine off before the baby crowned as there was a risk of the baby's hearing being damaged if the machine was still running when baby emerged. Isn't technology amazing though, I found it fascinating to watch!

AFM nothing to report really. I am having some pain in the internal scar tissue from some surgery I had last year - the scarring is at the top of each leg, along the crease if that makes sense. It's unpleasant and I hope it goes away after the birth. Strangely, it seems to be worse when I am in bed. Up until this week if I was moving around I didn't notice it but the last few days it's been quite sharp, enough that I limp a bit in the evenings. Stretching it out doesn't seem to have any impact on it either way (yoga/swimming neither aggravate nor alleviate it). My GP and a consultant OB I saw a while back both said it's not SPD (I have no pain at all in the centre of my pelvis). If anyone has any tips or advice I'd really appreciate it! :wavey:

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Steph! I love love love the name you selected and hope you'll share about your birth experience!

AMC, sheesh what is with these babies and giant craniums!? A friend suggested I start to stretch my pernieum...since I can't quite reach, I asked DH and he was pretty excited to do anything down there. LOL.

We also needed the idiot police in our childbirth class. THe instructor was going over the fact that you'd need a urethral catheter if you had an epidural and someone goes..."where does that go?" :-o

PP, how's it going? Any moment now huh? Do you feel ready? I know that's a dumb question but in my mind I have an idea of what "ready" looks like and I'm wondering if it is achievable...

AFM, target moving date is next weekend. Fingers crossed. I'm tired of living with my mom, out of a suitcase and not setting up for baby. Plus, I'm getting very uncomfortable and ornery. LOL. I had three beautiful showers thrown for me last week and got lots of great stuff for baby. Still not even sure what it all was, since it got packed up and put in the basement of our new home. I am eager to get it all out and wash it and put it away neatly for the baby's arrival! Also still working on the cloth diaper stash and not sure what the heck else we need!

DH and I are working on some things we can do at home to get baby to flip. spinningbabies.com has some good ideas and at our OB appt on Tues we'll ask the Dr about the Webster chiropractic method and perhaps pursue that since I've had some serious tightness on my right side. I would be very sad/disappointed/upset if baby didn't flip so I'm hoping that this little one is just taking it's time to turn head down...

Baby is now measuring for Aug 10-15 arrival and making me very nervous...

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Steph! Can't wait to hear all about it! Enjoy your little one!!!

Meg, you are due a couple of weeks after me and my baby just got head down within the last two weeks or so, so I am crossing my fingers that yours will find it's way soon.

I am 36 weeks today and had my first internal with strep test yesterday. My cervix is still closed but baby is head down so that is good news! I have gained a total of 22 pounds at this point which I am so surprised at given I gained like 40 pounds with my son. I think it's harder to find time to munch when chasing a three year old! I am very excited to meet this baby but we have SOOO much to do first. Big shopping trip planned for this weekend! I'm always checking in on your ladies even though I don't post often these days!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone! I'm sorry I'm such a bad PSer these days, June is BUSY. I'm so ready for it to be over!! I'm tired, dammit! :cheeky:

Glad to hear everyone is doing well! Congrats Steph! PP, I hope you're going...today! Or tomorrow. ASAP!

BB, your party looked so cute! Great pics!

AMC, you looked bigger in your 32 to 33 week pics, but I couldn't tell if you dropped. Sorry you're getting crappy sleep! I hate getting up in the night, because it gets the cats riled up and takes me awhile to fall back asleep. Bah!

Haven, I hope your MS goes away SOON. Being nauseous all day is just not fun. :(

AFM, 24w1d, just chugging along. I had a doctor's appt on Wednesday, and I got the glorious glucose drink. Fruit punch flavored, YUM. It's just staring at me from the fridge until next month! DH tore apart the nursery, so we're waiting on the sheet we ordered to arrive, then we can paint, put up new baseboards, window trim and closet doors! And by we, I mean HE. Haha! I think we've decided on a color scheme, so we can pick out our furniture when we get a chance. My parents have generously offered to buy it, so that's a huge expense off our plates! I feel like time is slowing down a bit, which is nice, because I feel like we have SO much to do!

Have a good weekend everyone, and I hope PP has her baby by Monday! ; )

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
No update from Petite! Could today be the day?

missrachelk

Shiny_Rock
hello! I'm back from my little babymoon and ready to catch up!

Here's my congrats to Steph and possibly Petite??

I jsut glanced through the pages I've missed but I wanted to comiserate with MP and SunnyD, my close due date ladies about weight gain / size. I feel large and have definitely put on weight. I also know that we 'ain't seen nothin yet' as far as the changes we'll see in the next 3 months!! I honestly can't remember what I weighed at my last appointment and I've decided to stop weighing myself. More weight gain is inevitable and I'll buckle down with diet and fitness once baby is here. Up until very recently I was also really suprised at my belly - standing it is quite round and long, but lying down the upper part above my belly button would go flat. Well now it's much more rounded even when I'm lying down! I'd say I'm also definitely 'carrying a girl' because I feel my belly is quite wide. My belly button is also filling in at a really fast rate, I'd say its less than half as deep as it used to be! Nothing odd happening yet with my scar, thank goodness (scar from laproscopy when I had appendicitis a few years ago) One of my main physical worries is that that scar tissue will not stretch and I'll get stretch marks or a funky look because of it.

DH and I went on a quick babymoon to Savannah - it was wonderful, even though we had a bit of a rain out from a nearby tropical storm. I must say that maternity spanx are the best invention ever! I was so comfy in them and didn't have to worry about chafing at all.

I'm getting more tired but also finally have energy / desire to get moving on the nursery and finishing the house setup. So far the nursery walls and ceiling are painted, new flooring has been bought and install scheduled, dresser is bought and laying in flat packs waiting to be put together, and my chair is here! It's in the living room for the time being and it's wonderful. The crib has been picked out and that round out what I've done so far. Left to do is choosing bedding / curtains / closet setup and all the details like artwork and possibly new light fixtures.

Question for everyone about showers and ettiquite - how to handle who to invite? So far I think I'm having 3 showers, plus one at work / with work peeps. My mom and aunt are throwing the main one, a good friend offered to throw one and jsut today a sister in law on my husband's side said she wanted to throw one too. So who do I invite to which?? I don't have a ton of friends so besides family for the 2 family groups, I'm not sure who all I would invite without inviting the same friends to all 3. Would it be bad to invite the same batch of friends to all 3 and let them know jsut to come to whichever one works best for their schedule? My Mom also said that I should get her addresses of people even who I don't think will be bale to come, that it's kind of like a wedding when you send an invite out of courtesy and lots of time the person sends a gift. How did / are you all handling multiple showers?

I hope everyone is keeping cool in this heat wave and staying safe up in the west with the fires.

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
Missrachel- I'm not sure how to handle the shower etiquette wise, but as someone with only a handful of close friends, I think it would be ok to let your friends know all of the dates and choose the one most convenient for them. If one of my friends said this I'd be ok with it. On another note, is it possible for two people to co-host and do one big one, plus the work one?

Mayerling- when are you due? You are not on the preggo in waiting list, so I keep forgetting.

Sunnyd- that's really awesome your parents are gifting the nursery furniture! When I took my glucose drink I was really dizzy/ weird feeling afterward, so just be cautious of that. I didn't mind the actual drinking of my ultra sugary lemonade syrup.

Lizzyann- congrats on 36 weeks and baby being head down. I make sure to tell baby to keep her head down each day. I get so nervous knowing they can switch.

Meg- I hope the spinning babies tricks work. You still have time, so try to have peace in that. Have you tried swimming? As for feeling prepared- I am ready! I am ready to meet her, etc. we still need to buy a changing pad and other random things, but mentally I'm prepared. It doesn't feel real, but I'm ready to get this show on the road.

AFM- still here!! On a positive note- Baby will have a ruby birthstone, so I can look forward to some sort of jewelry piece with that. I feel zero progress, which honestly scares me. Only the tightening contractions with no pain. I have this fear that my body doesn't know what to do since I'm 4 days past the due date. I can't help but wonder if my uterus being so forward has anything to do with it. I over analyze everything, so I'm questioning it all. It's really difficult waking up to a new day without any progess. I've had 3 friends give birth this week- 2 being yesterday, so my emotions are all over the place! I think I'll be preggo forever.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Petite, 38+3 today and I have no idea if I've made any progress since I've never been given an internal. I'd really hoped for a June birth as it's getting so hot that going into July terrifies me.
I'm sorry there hasn't been any progress for you either. Have you given "intimacy" a try? We never really stopped being intimate which makes me think my body is so used to the prostaglandins that they're not really doing anything for me. :lol:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Steph!

PP, keep the faith, I think baby's just really comfy. Try eggplant parm? Old wives tale that it helps.

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
Mayerling- darn on the no internals! I think it's funny that the women offered them don't want them and I'm begging! Haha. We have upped out intimacy this past week, but I think I expect there to be an immediate action, as in get the prostaglandin and body is automatically ready. :wacko: I do have contractions a bit after, but then my mind goes straight to "is this it?!" I have zero patience, if you can't tell.

LC- I think she's super comfy too! Not sure why as she is running out of room. Thanks for the old wives tale- I think I know what we're having for dinner!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Hang in there PP! Your body knows what to do - trust it! Babes will be here the moment she is ready!

Maybe try some spicy food?? I was two weeks late and a spicy mexican meal got me right out of that uterus!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Steph: Congrats, mama! I can't wait for the details, but I will try to be patient as you enjoy this time with your new bundle!

PP: Still sending labor vibes your way. I give you tons of credit, lady. You're really being very mellow about this. I think I will be a wreck if I hit 39 weeks and there's little progression. You're the model of patience, IMHO.

Meg: Major LOL about your husband's eagerness to perform perineal massage. My DH is being a bit stubborn about it, and I'm not sure I can reach that area very well on my own ::) Did it feel uncomfortable at all? I read some how-tos that say one should stretch the area until it burns/tingles and eventually turns numb, and others that say there should be stretching but no discomfort. :?: Now I feel silly asking you how you prefer your perineal massages... the things I never thought I'd ask others... until I fell pregnant!

-----

Okay. I have to vent. And I know I'll sound like a total selfish witch, but I'm hormonal and emotional and so gosh. darn. frustrated. It's gonna be long, and you don't need to read to the end... I just need to get it out ::)

I'm 37 weeks and some odd days. My husband has roughly six days off between now and the birth of our daughter, maybe a bit more. I know our lives will forever change between now and mid-July, and because I don't know exactly when, I just want to be carefree and have fun and enjoy our time as a wild and crazy two-some with what little time we have left as just "us" ;))

Unfortunately...

June 9-14th: DH's family vacation (out of state)
June 15th: We get home, but DH's mom also arrives to start her TWO MONTH LONG stay in our state (not in our house, thankfully)
June 16-22nd: My dad and Uncle fly out to help with home reno projects, stay at our house
June 25- July 2nd: DH's dad flies out for impromptu trip
July 15thish: SIL and BIL and their kiddos leave for 3 month overseas trip, so naturally they're trying to maximize family time with us before they have to go... but I'm due on the 19th...

And then yesterday I got a series of texts from DH's mom. (FWIW: She's divorced from DH's dad and they are not on good terms).

----"OH! PPM! Let me come out on Sunday and cook you guys a home-cooked meal!" [in my kitchen, eh?]
----"And then you two should come up north this weekend!" [She's staying 1.25 hours away, and I'll be less than two weeks from my due date then]

I agreed to Sunday's meal. Then today she texted me again today,

----"I didn't know {ex husband} was in town. Don't want to interfere. I'll come by Tuesday for dinner instead, and stay til Wednesday, and we'll spend the 4th together. What day will you come up next weekend? Friday? Saturday?" [Wait, you don't want to interfere... but you want to spend the night at my house? And I didn't say I'd visit over the weekend.]

I got in touch with her and said,

----"DH works on Wednesday, so I'm not sure that will work. When he gets off of work tonight, I'll talk to him about rescheduling dinner for Tuesday and we'll get back to you."

So she sends me an E-MAIL:

----"I know that Tuesday is one of your days off together, so I don't want to interrupt. Let me know what time to come in the PM, so you have the day together. We can talk about Wed. then. And what day this weekend do you want to visit up north?"

:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

I know they're all family, but my DH's last 12+ days off have been eaten up by them. ALL of them- my family and his. And now his mother, who's really the most trying of the bunch, and with whom DH does NOT have a great relationship, is planning the last bit of our free time for us. She really wants me to travel over an hour away during my window for labor? No way. And she KNOWS his days off... that she even plans to visit us during this time makes me irate. She'll be here through mid-August, surely she'll have plenty of time to visit then? When I say, "DH and I will talk and we'll let you know later," it means, "I'm not committing to this. I might say no. I'll let you know later."

And beyond his mother, everyone else is calling to get together. DH canceled our date night tonight because he dad's trip was unexpectedly extended, and his sister wants us to all go out for dinner. His sis also keeps inviting us over to hang out before they leave for Europe, and though I love her, I'm at the end of my rope.

I know I just need to say NO. No, No, NO to all of these requests for visits. If they were short get-togethers for an hour or two at time, it'd be one thing. But they're all-day affairs (in most cases), and many involve sleeping over at someone's house, or opening our guest room to someone new. I'm tired of washing my guest room linens, for heaven's sake! Their requests come from a place of love, wanting to spend time together before baby's arrival/Flights back East/trips to Europe, but they're 100% failing to see that this is the only time that DH and I will have before labor & delivery & parenthood... perhaps we already have plans for this precious, precious time? And perhaps they don't involve the rest of the world's population?!

Phew. Sorry. I'm just feeling SO sentimental and protective about DH and US and our time together. Fortunately DH is with me, but I'm not looking forward to this battle and all of the, "Oh... well, we'll come to YOU so it's easier!" or the "But you're not due until the 19th!" or the, "Okay, how about next Thursday, then?" comments that will be hurled at us when we refuse this week's line-up of get-togethers. I must. stay. strong. If I can't say "NO," now, then I stand no chance of successfully setting boundaries once the baby is here. I am really, REALLY not looking forward to that.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
Amc- I think we will be where you are at that point too haha I asked hubby when he thinks he will realize we are having a baby and he said "when he is born and we take him home... " hahaha good thing I'm a planner otherwise we'd get nothing done and have nothing ready for when he comes haha omg I can't believe the person in your class! I not sure I could have kept a straight face when she kept asking those questions?. Have you heard of the scat mat? You put it in the crib kind of like tin foil and gives the cat a little shock if they jump in it... We are only bringing our 16lb cat up with us at first.. And now that I'm thinking of it... I don't think he will be able to actually jump high enough to get in the crib haha unless we have a piece of furniture close to it he might try it.. But I'm hoping he doesn't try it... The swing.. That's another story he will probably try to lay on that...

Ahh Haven you have some patience! Haha we talked about waiting until the baby was born to learn the gender but.. I'm a planner.. It would have drove me crazy not to know nd especially since DH won't be able to take time when he is born it would have been a lot of work to go buy more gender specific stuff although we had been buying a TON of gender neutral stuff since before I was pregnant!

Jgator- thanks for the tip on the carseat! Ya I just kept thinking in my head... How are we going to bring baby home from the hospital and I'm like should we spend the $100 something for the carseat to use it once and take up space in our tiny apt..maybe we'll just play it by ear but not have it on our list of must buys..Please let me know about the Papaya Enzyme! I'll try anything! Haha I've actually realized that the more herbal remedies work better than OTC drugs!

Meg-I hope your baby turns soon! That is my fear I'll have a breech baby or a huge baby haha.. I was ecstatic on Friday when only his arms and legs were measuring big haha I was like his head is right on track sweet! Lol

Buttons- we handed our camera to the friend who filled the crown with the confetti and she is actually a professional photographer too.. I was so happy when I saw the pics because when we pulled the crown instead of just the confetti coming down the entire crown came coming down and slapped me in the face since someone thought it would be smart to just hang it with a clear plastic sticky hook haha.. Learned that lesson (wasn't me haha)

Dani-such a cute ultrasound pic! We ordered our crib so early... Because it was on sale and I'd never seen it on sale and I had an extra 10% off and a 5% off that too.. Plus free shipping so I said lets just do it.. And I'm so glad we did because it has been sold out online for a while now! We had to paint it too because the espresso was too light for our black hemnes ikea furniture...

Monkeyprincess-ya we have one kinda like that one too..we keep going back and forth that we think it's cool but it's semi creepy lol

Congrats Step! Can't wait to see pics of her! :)

Buttons-Now that I read your post about the scar tissue.. I'm thinking maybe that has been what was bothering me too.. I had an ovarian ablation in December to try to help get me to ovulate... So 2 of the scars are where by ovaries are and thn my belly button.. Ovaries ones were hurting today.. I'm guessing just the baby moving and uterus stretching! Hopefully you can figure something out To help with the pain.. Maybe try magnesium? I have a lot of nerve pain and scar tissue pain I'm my back surgery that goes down my left leg and I had to get off my neurontin when I was pregnant and started taking magnesium and it has actually worked better than the neurontin.. It helps if you are constipated too and fine to take.. Worth a try!

Sunny-ewwwv I hated that test... I took it last summer when my RE was trying to decide if I needed to stay on metformin and I got the Orange flavor and wanted to puke the entire time... It was freaking nasty... I'm soo not looking forward to it now..icckk

Pp-I hope your baby decides to come soon! I'm not looking forward to when I'm 40+ weeks just waiting for baby to come.. I'm impatient..are people leaving you alone at least asking you if baby is here yet?

Mayerling- I hope you go sooner than later... I've been telling my hubby every day I'm thankful I'm due in November and not super pregnant during this heat right now... I can barely handle it not pregnant.. Can't imagine it 6+ months pregnant.. Kudos to you and everyone else who is super far along in this heat!

PPM- im so sorry about your DHs family taking up all your free time with each other... Hubby and I just finished our 2 yr long distance stint.. And we are staying with his family... And we NEVER get to do anything just us... Like anything... We seriously cannot wait to move and have a few months just us before the baby comes...yesterday was our 6yr dating anniversary.. And the first time we have actually had a day to ourself.. Like his parents..mom especially kinda pushes her way into anything we do... And we are just at the end of our rope right now..like we can't enjoy any of this pregnancy with just the 2 of us because she's always there...hope you get some time with just your dh before the baby comes!

~well officially halfway thru my pregnancy today! Can't believe we are halfway there! Hopefully things calm down and it just goes nice and slow but I have a feeling it's not going to...on July 12 hubby has his Step 1 test.. And July 21 we have our baby shower.. And then July 23 we are moving so.. Between now and then I need to pack.. Have a yard sale...and lots of other things...I'm trying not to get stressed out.. But I have to do everything myself because hubby can't help since he needs to study and I don't trust the inlaws to listen to me and actually do it right... We are going to have a talk with them and tell them that if they want to help they have to listen to everything I tell them to do and now to question every decision I make... Which they usually do to us.. I'm also just annoyed because my mil asks me the same EXACT question all the time and I give her the same answer every time.. I just can't take it anymore.. I mean how many times do I have to say we do not know when we will find out where hubby is placed for his clinicals .. I mean you would think if I got any sort of info I'd tell you wouldn't I? Dh and I aren't super stressed about it and have been just kinda going with the flow since we can't really control it.. And they are making us stressed... I've moved so many times in my life that I'm not stressed.. His parents haven't moved in 20 yrs and act like we are incompetent 18yr olds who don't know how to move...and drive the uhaul that far... I'm like we are 26 &27 we will be okay.. We have moved many times.. Not a big deal.. Hopefully we can keep them under control when we move since they are helping us... Ughh so not looking forward toting.. Sorry for the long rant...I just want to scream sometimes lol

Okay so I need some advice... So hubby and I decide on a couple we wanted for the godparents... Well we talked about it before we were pregnant and then not since then.. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago.. After our party hubby sends a text to Them.. Well the guy.. Saying aren't you excited to be a godfather to a boy! I'm like omg we didn't ever fully decide on it A... And B.. Hubby had already told his best guy friend that he was the god father... Now we would have decided on them anyways because they are amazing people so that wasn't an issue.. But I was embarrassed he just sent the text like that because I wanted to do something special for them to ask the ..So I finally got some stuff together and I'm just wanting on it to get here..but how do I tell them that there is also another godfather..Do you think they'll be mad? I mean if something were to happen to us we would choose them as a guardian vs the other godfather.. The other godfather was more of just a nice thing but would be more of an uncle..it was one of those they assumed they'd be it rather than us asking..I'm just irritated hubby got us in this situation and I don't know how to get out of it.. I like to be more polite about things I felt like he just flat out told the couple they were the godparents and I told him you kinda need to ask not tell right?? Ughh I just don't know what to do! Do you think I should actually ask them if they want to be the godparents and not to feel obligated but they already mailed some cute onesies we got today for the baby.. So I assume they're excited but I just don't want them to feel pressured... Ahh this is getting long! Sorry I just don't know what to do...

I'm gonna post my 20week belly pic tomorrow along with some funny pics of Enzo swaddled up and in a baby sleeper outfit :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, PPM, you don't sound selfish at all. I would be just as irate as you are right now.

First, I'm so sorry you have to deal with all this right now. These last few weeks of your pregnancy should not include stress from the in-laws.

Second, I think it would be totally reasonable for you to ask your DH to deal with his family exclusively from now on. First, they're his family and I think it would just make things easier, and second, you really don't need this kind of stress right now.

And I totally agree with you that you need to start saying NO. DH and I are extremely protective of our time together and our privacy, we always have been, and the nice thing is that after we said "No, thank you," enough times, people got the hint. I know some people say YES! to every family event or get-together, but that doesn't work for us. We know we can't thrive if we don't have down time alone, and down time together, so we started saying no a long time ago and it's been really important. (Of course, some people take longer than others to "get it." My mom is currently mad at me for declining an invitation to her backyard BBQ on the 4th. The 4th will be our fourth wedding anniversary, and we have plans to spend it just the two of us since it's our last anniversary before the kiddo comes. While it's tempting to stand around her backyard with all of her work friends, I just have to pass.)

I think it's always hardest when you *start* to draw those boundaries, but it really does get easier. While it's totally wonderful to have family that wants to spend time with you, it won't be so wonderful when you start to resent that time because you need to be spending it alone. I totally understand, and I hope you can get your DH to take over and draw some firm boundaries with his family.

FWIW, my good friend's in-laws sound exactly like yours. Her SIL frequently comes in from OOT and expects my good friend to host her and her DH and their two toddlers in their home. (And they're terrible house guests--they make huge messes and don't clean up after themselves, the kids are wild.) They're actually in a big fight right now because after five years of this my friend finally said no to a request, this one was for the SIL's family AND the SIL's friend and friend's husband and two toddlers to stay in their house. My friend doesn't know this second family, and she just doesn't want to host EIGHT people, including four strangers, in her home. I think this is what eventually happens when you don't say NO enough--the expectations just get ridiculous, and then a blowout ensues.

Anyway, I really hope your DH steps up so you don't have to deal with this. I feel like he should kind of act like the MOH at the wedding right now--it's crunch time, and any sh*t that hits the fan needs to be dealt with before the expecting mama hears about it--you are too close to delivery to deal with this!

BlondeBunny--I guess it's easier for us to be patient with finding out the gender because in our religious culture (we're Jewish) we don't bring anything for the baby into our home before the birth. We don't have baby showers, either. I know it seems silly to outsiders, but the belief is that we don't want to count our eggs before they hatch, so to speak, lest we attract the evil eye and bring some misfortune to our unborn baby. (We also don't have baby showers out of respect for anyone who had or is having trouble conceiving. I think that's the more modern interpretation, at least. My father is a cantor, I've heard him give people that explanation, as well.) This isn't Jewish law, it's just a cultural thing, in case anyone is interested.

I know some Jews are having bridal showers nowadays, and preparing their nurseries before the baby is born, but I think our parents would literally drop dead of fear and horror if we did that, so it's not worth it!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
PPM, I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble with relatives. I know what you mean about making the most of your time with DH before baby comes. Even though I'm anxious for the LO to get here, I've been trying to spend some quality time with DH as well, especially since for the past 6 weeks we've been staying with my parents and don't really get much time alone. I miss our home back in the UK and am already looking forward to moving back there in a couple of months.
Blondebunny, I know you must be looking forward to moving soon.

Haven, what you said about Jewish culture is interesting. In my culture, we don't have baby showers either - we think of them as an American tradition - but we do fill up the house with baby stuff long before the baby is due. Both mine and my parents' place has been full of baby stuff for months :lol:

Petite, any updates? Did you try the eggplant parm? I hope you don't mind my asking all the time. I know that in real life it's annoying to have people constantly enquiring about whether you've had the baby but I'm hoping that it's okay to do this on PS.

Sugarpie, are you still around? From what I've seen, today is your due date.

Meg, how exciting that your place will be ready soon.

Sunny, did you get the glucose test results?

Lizzyann, I'm so jealous that you were given an internal at 36w. I'm past 38w and still have not had one!

AFM, 38+4 and am slowly coming to terms with the fact that this baby might take the full 40 and perhaps more. I was bummed to go into July but what can you do. I need to focus on the fact that what's important is that he's healthy and comes out when he wants, instead of on how uncomfortable I feel. I'm also less motivated to try all those things that supposedly induce labour. Intimacy has been a regular occurrence but has made no difference. I've gone on long walks at least every other day this week and nothing has happened. I've also gone swimming a few times and it hasn't helped. Though, I shouldn't say that there hasn't been a difference given how I haven't had an internal which means there might be progress I'm not aware of.

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
Mayerling- perfectly ok to ask! I get curious about PSers when they don't post! I didn't try the eggplant parm last night and won't get to until Monday.

Today I've had contractions about every five minutes apart for the last 5-6 hours. The only change is that they are getting slightly uncomfortable. Not painful though. DH just called the hospital and they said to wait until they are painful for two hours. So, i don't think she's coming anytime soon. :/

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
Meg- I made sure to out spicy oil on my pizza today!

PPM- I completely feel your pain regarding in-laws. Please feel free to vent anytime. I am currently LIVING with mine until our move next month! It's terrible for me with all of the extra hormones and missing my space, DH time, etc. In- laws and pregnancy do not mix. I almost started a thread yesterday for advice regarding "help" and time after baby is born, because my MIL is constantly hovering over us and I'm terrified it will be worse after baby gets here. Oh and PS- I am the most impatient person in the world, but thank you. It made my day.

BB- congrats on half way! That's so exciting! It sounds like this month will be a busy one for you. That should help more time pass. My MIL is the only one to constantly comment on the baby not being here. It's annoying to say the least... We chose two sets of godparents for our baby. Like you, one is a couple and the other is a single guy. It was the best way to incorporate both countries, in our case. When we asked them to be godparents we let them know that we were also asking the other single guy. They didn't mind. I would also like to note that godparents do not equal future guardians in our eyes. It's purely for the spiritual aspect. We plan to make separate decisions for future guardians. It might be the couple, it might not, but it will still be seperate from the godparent reason/term/ whatever. I think that's something that will have to be decided after she is born.

Sorry for anyone I missed. It's difficult replying from this when I can't fully see the comment box.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all so much for all the kind words, we are so in love with our little girl. Here's the story of her arrival as promised!

Around 10 pm on Wednesday night we got into bed to watch some TV, as we were watching I had some stomach cramps like I had to poop. This happened about every 15 minutes or so for the next hour or so, and it took me that long to realize I didn't just have to poop, that this might be labor. By midnight I was sure I was in labor, but we were still chilling in bed watching TV and by 1 am they were about 8 minutes apart and were getting pretty intense – I was having to work harder to figure out how to deal with the pain. I wasn't comfortable sitting or laying down, but was ok on my feet either lunging or leaning over the bed. I checked in with my midwife around 1:30 am and they told me to wait until the contractions were 3-5 min apart for an hour, and to try taking a bath. I tried that but hated it, I felt trapped in our tiny little bathtub. I got in the shower instead and that helped a little, especially using the handheld showerhead on my belly during a contraction, but after about 20 minutes I wasn't comfortable in there either. That entire time the contractions had still been getting closer, they were to about 4 minutes apart then. Around 2:30 am even though it hadn't been a full hour with contractions that close, I called the midwife again and she agreed that it seemed like things were progressing quickly and I should come into the hospital. So at that point I obviously updated you guys while DH packed things up. The ride over was hard since I couldn't really move around but luckily in the middle of the night it was a quick trip.

We got there around 3 am, and were put in a room in L&D. The AC hadn't been turned on in there ahead of time and I was so miserably hot. I had to get into bed and have a contraction monitor and fetal monitor strapped on to get a baseline on baby's heartrate, and my midwives (both the one on duty and a student midwife working with her) were with another patient so they hadn't checked me at all yet. So I am boiling hot (was actually sitting naked from the waist down since the gown was pushed up for the monitors and I couldn't handle having a blanket over me, and I couldn't move around to work through the contractions. I was like a movie cliché at this point, telling DH “oh my God, I can't do this, I can't do this, I need something.” Finally the midwives came and checked me around 3:30, and I was at 6 cm. I had mentally stopped being able to stay on top of the pain then from a combo of the heat and being tied to the bed, and knowing that I still had transition to get through, I requested the epidural. So they hooked me up to an IV then and told me they would call the anesthesiologist, but he had to come back in, and I had to get through a half a bag of fluids first anyway. I was very worried about how long this would take so they also said that I could have a narcotic immediately to take the edge off but if I took that I would have to stay in bed for sure. Otherwise I could get up once they got enough of the baseline monitoring. But I had been writhing around in bed so much I kept knocking the monitors loose and they still didn't have much for that, so knowing either way I was stuck in bed for a while, I went with the narcotic (Nubain).

It definitely made the pain more manageable for the hour we waited for the anesthesiologist to show up, I could breathe through the contractions and watching the seconds tick on the giant clock in front of me was helpfu. The anesthesiologist showed up at 4:30 am and it seemed to take FOREVER until he had the epidural administered. He seemed annoyed by the fact that I was having contractions during, but I was still very nice to him because he had the drugs. By 5 am I was up and running and it was glorious. Getting it administered was almost zero pain, all I felt were the bee stings of the local anesthetic. I had thought it was standard to get a catheter with an epi, but they didn't place one and said they would empty my bladder via cath if they needed to, but weren't going to leave it in. I chilled out for about 35 minutes and then all the sudden my midwives and nurse were back in the room, apparently baby's heartrate wasn't behaving exactly as it should so they wanted to check where I was. To my surprise, I was already at 10 cm. They broke my water and wanted me to just chill out for a little while and let the baby move down on her own and see how her heart kept doing, since she was still at -1 station, and they emptied my bladder then to see if that would help too. The watching and waiting lasted about 20 minutes before they were back in there saying that her heart rate was still dropping during contractions, so we were going to start working on getting her out sooner rather than later. They also put a scalp heart rate monitor on her then to get a better reading of how she was doing during pushing than the external monitor.

The next hour was super intense, they had me pushing on my back, right side, left side, while wearing oxygen, I was moving her down pretty well but her heart rate was still dropping down during every contraction. I actually couldn't see the monitors myself which I was glad of, but DH told me afterward it was definitely scary. She was recovering ok between contractions so they let me keep going for a bit, but after about 30 min of pushing they said that they were going to call in the OB because she might need a little help (i.e. the vacuum) getting out more quickly. The OB showed up and they changed things up very quickly, breaking down the bed and putting me up in stirrups. Before I even knew what happened the OB had watched a contraction, asked, ok, she has an epidural right, and was cutting an episiotomy while the midwife explained she was doing that. At the time I was just thinking, wait, no, I didn't want an episiotomy, but in retrospect it was obviously what needed to be done to get her out quickly. She lengthened the initial cut a little bit, and on the next set of pushes Eleanor's head was out, and her issue was obvious, she had the cord around her neck. The OB unlooped the cord and left and the midwives finished delivering her and at 6:49 am she was out on my chest crying away and doing great despite giving us a scare at the end of the delivery. It took them a while to deliver the placenta and stitch me up but I barely noticed that or that my nurses and midwives changed shifts because we were so enthralled with our little girl. We spent about an hour with her and she BF a little bit, but at that point I started shivering really badly, I think a combo of coming off the epi and the adrenaline of the birth. So they decided to get me warmed up and get me some breakfast, and in the meantime take her to the nursery for a bath and to get checked out by the pediatrician. They covered me in a bunch of warm blankets and even put a machine that blows hot air under the blankets, it was so cozy I dozed off. After another hour I was moved to a postpartum room – I couldn't walk yet at that point due to the epi, it took about four hours after they took it out for me to be moving around, but don't know if that's normal or was because I didn't have it for too long before I delivered.

Overall I'm happy with how things turned out, I had a goal of a med free birth but was open to seeing how it went. One of my midwives said that it might have been a blessing I was medicated with as crazy as things were at the very end of the labor, if I was working through pain on top of trying to get her out so quickly, I might not have been able to do it. And I'd rather not have the med free birth I originally wanted and gotten an episiotomy than had a c-section.

So three and a half days out now, I'm feeling pretty good, the stitches are sore but I'm hoping healing ok. I also have some back pain from the epi. We came home yesterday around lunchtime and are settling in, Nora is nursing really well which is good because my milk came in today and holy hell my boobs are like rocks. She hates having her diaper changed but is a pretty chill baby otherwise. And we might be biased but we think she's pretty adorable too.

img_0635.jpg

img_0626.jpg

2012-06-28_12.jpg

missrachelk

Shiny_Rock
PPM - Don't feel bad! Everyone's family dynamics are different but there's no time like now to say NO to all of them and take your time with DH while you can. I do not mean to offend at all but from experience with my DH's pushy family - some people do not hear you when you are noncommittal - you have to be strong in your NO from the get-go, otherwise tehy are jsut hearing what tehy want to hear. I hear from what you're writing that your MIL is this way and that being very direct - NO Tuesday will not work and NO we will not be visiting, too close to due date to be traveling more than 10 mins from home etc. would be better than being vague and saying that you don't know. I also try to remember that I'd rather have someone be a little miffed at me for turning down their invitation than have me be resentful towards them for a lifetime. I do also think that how you handle the onslaught now will affect what happens once baby arrives too - ie putting your foot down now might give them a chance to get the hint to leave you alone a bit so you won't have to do that once baby is here.

I was worried about a familial onslaught because my DH's parents are both remarried thus a total of 6 grandparents that will want to be around right after the birth and for who knows how long afterward. My mom and I talked and she is going to be my policeman and protect our coccoon. My ground rules are going to be no visits from anyone for more than 2 hours and no more than one set of visitors at a time. Probably no more than 2 sets per day too - this is all for the first 2 weeks. She also reminded me to be thankful of all of the extra love, and that at least some of these people have raised either DH or I to adulthood so they hopefully aren't completely clueless. However in DH's case this was over 40 years ago so times have changed to say the least! I mean my MIL (DH's actual mother) told me how she was prescribed diet pills when she was pregnant with him because of too much weight gain! She didn't take them and the next month saw another doctor in the practice that said she didn't need them, but still.

Is anyone else suffering with this heatwave?!! It's not that bad for me physicaly but my feet are swelling somewhat and they are getting so tired so quickly! I actualy made an ice bath for them when I got home today! It was lovely and I went back in for several more 'dips' through the evening.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Steph, congratulations! Nora is just beautiful and it sounds like her delivery really went very well in the end, even if it was not what you were expecting. Enjoy these precious early days... it gets better and better every day but they are such sweet little possums in these first weeks :love:

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Steph!!! Baby Nora is beautiful, and you did a great job being flexible with her delivery. It sounds like you really helped in getting her to drop lower quick enough to avoid a c-section, so that's great! See you in the newborn thread when you're ready!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Steph, Nora is absolutely divine!! :love: :love: You did a great job, well done mama! :appl:

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Congrats, Steph! Your baby is so cute!

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for sharing Steph! It sounds like your labor progressed pretty quickly! Did you have contractions at all before the 10pm ones? Your baby is so precious and I love her name. :)

Afm- I've had contractions all night. They went from no pain (yesterday morning), slight discomfort (yesterday evening), to what I imagine are peoples description of period like cramps (10pm- over night). Now they are about the same. I didn't sleep since they are every 5 minutes. I still haven't lost my mucous plug and don't feel pressure, so I'm assuming it's still early labor? I need sleep! Any ideas? I think only a recliner would provide comfort, but we don't have one here.. Of course.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Petite, yay for progress! If they're 5 minutes apart can't you just go in? Do you have to lose the mucus plug first? My hospital says to go in if water breaks, there's a bloody show, or contractions are 10-5 mins apart.

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
Steph! Thanks for sharing your story! You're so lucky you were able to get her to move down enough to avoid a c-section. I got to 9cm before they realized his head was probbaly stuck and he most like wouldn't move down anymore. I cried! All that work for like 60 some hours, just to end so quickly in a c-section! Ahhh! Anyway, she is beautiful! Good job momma!!!! :D

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
mayerling|1341217211|3227181 said:
Petite, yay for progress! If they're 5 minutes apart can't you just go in? Do you have to lose the mucus plug first? My hospital says to go in if water breaks, there's a bloody show, or contractions are 10-5 mins apart.

Honestly, I have no idea. They said 5 minutes apart for 2 hours with painful contractions. My question is how painful? I know they will get a lot worse, so do I wait for that? I don't want to go in too early and look like a giant baby, but im also curious to know if I've made progress...

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
PetitePoire|1341223147|3227189 said:
mayerling|1341217211|3227181 said:

Honestly, I have no idea. They said 5 minutes apart for 2 hours with painful contractions. My question is how painful? I know they will get a lot worse, so do I wait for that? I don't want to go in too early and look like a giant baby, but im also curious to know if I've made progress...

If I were you, I'd go. People vary in terms of pain threshold so what to you doesn't feel that painful might have an another woman writhing in pain. And, honestly, who cares what they think? At least this way they'll be forced to check you...

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
PP, ahhhh! The spicy worked (I hope!) Update us when you can!

Steph, omgosh Nora is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing your story. Hope you're embracing these first few days of newborn-ness!

BB, congrats on being half way. I can remember that time well b/c DH and I kind of celebrated. I think the 2nd half of preg goes a lot faster and so much changes much faster as you grow and grow. I know how you feel about moving with the in-laws looking over your shoulder -- mine do the same thing and will be here end of this week to help us move. Nothing like being preggo and moving! I like to call it extreme nesting!

PPM, ha I know, perineal massage is a funny thing. No, it was actually fine, not uncomfortable at all. I think going until it is numb is too much...I think if it tingles a little that that is sufficient. Maybe ask your OB, as I'm not really even sure! On a separate note, I also embrace the power of NO. You're 9 months preggo and need time to prep and be with your DH. I say do waht you can on a day-to-day basis. Don't commit until the day-of -- you're so entitled to do that at this point! If they keep asking for other commitments, just be like well I will ahve to see how I'm feeling on that day. Your baby and you and your DH come before anyone and everyone so make that your priority without a second thought or a lick of guilt!

lizzy, thanks for the encouragement. I've been doing flips and handstands in the pool all weekend, walking lots and doing inversions. LOL. It's quite the sight and everyone at my mom's pool (55+ community) thinks it is hilarious that this giant preggo lady is doing flips to get the baby to flip! I have an appt tomorrow morning, so we'll see whether baby has moved. If not, we may look into a chiropractor for the Webster method or some other alternatives.

AFM, 33w5d and I'm starting to think baby might not go head down until we move in and are feeling more settled and less stressed. We *think* we'll be able to move in on Thursday, but it depends on the inspection. Fingers crossed! Not much else to report except sleeping is very uncomfortable!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I haven't been checking in much ladies, I've not had much of a chance to get to a computer, I've been so busy! I'm nearly 18 weeks and can feel flutters already!! DH's face lights up every time I tell him, and he lays his hands and ear to my tummy in the hope he'll detect something. Not just yet! He can't wait to feel the baby move. I refer to the baby and 'he', whereas he insists it's 'she'! I guess one of us will be right I'm not showing too much just yet, although in the evenings when I get bloated I look full term! I was fitted for some maternity bras yesterday, oh they are heaven!!!!! We have our 20 week scan in two weeks, and other than that are just enjoying picking away at baby planning. I bought 25 modern cloth nappies in a heap of different colours last week, they are SO cute! Mum and dad absolutely spun out when I showed them, they are a far cry from the triangles of cloth and huge safety pins used when we were babies! I think mum is a bit envious of them I'm still fitting into all my regular clothes with the exception of needing my Bella Band to keep my jeans up, so far so good! Tomorrow I'm having lunch with one of my closest friends who is 30 weeks with her second baby, it's so fun to share the journey with a close friend who's also preggy!

I hope to be able to post more frequently in this thread now, and get to know you all alot better, I adore reading everyone's posts!

Much love to all!!!

17 weeks 4 days

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results