shape
carat
color
clarity

Cab lovers: what is this stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
My brother, who is an officer in the Navy, bought this for me in Morocco as a Christmas present in 2007. i found the matching earrings a street fair last year. Even though it''s not my usual style, I love the pendant, and always get a lot of compliments on it. I just have no idea what it is. It looks nothing like the turquoise I own, and I know it''s not lapis. Any ideas? It''s set in sterling silver and is appx. 22x24 mm. The earrings are appx. 22x30 mm. I''d love to know what it is so I can find a matching ring
9.gif

100_1217A.jpg

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
bad neck shot

100_1214A.jpg

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
hand shot

100_1215A.jpg

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Back

100_1219A.jpg

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
ear shot

100_1221A.jpg

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Last one. I would really appreciate any ideas you have! Thanks!

100_1216A.jpg

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm.. not Lapis, sodalite?

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm. I had never heard of sodalite. I just looked in google images, and in person, mine is royal blue with quite a bit of green in it...different than the colors I saw on google. Of course, I don''t know what range of colors sodalite comes in....

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i lean towards this because it appears on my monitor to have green veining:

http://www.bernardine.com/gemstones/azurite-malachite.htm

i've not seen sodalite with green veining....but i do have a ring with a chunk of sodalite that has lavendar veining.

nice set!

mz

eta: i've seen this stone [azurite-malachite] in other jewelry.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
WOW!!! Those stones area amazing!
30.gif
I wish mine looked like that! There is some small green veining, as well as some beige veining, and lighter blue veining. It looks so different from any blue stone I''ve ever seen, it''s a puzzle. Any gemologists out there?

Thanks for the suggestions. I''d ask my brother, but I saw him about a month ago when I was wearing the pendant, and he didn''t even remember buying it. Men.
20.gif
3.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
QueenB, what did the street vendor say the earring stones were when you bought them?

Bear in mind you might have two different types of stones there, pendant versus earrings.

You might have sodalite earrings and a Chilean lapis pendant for example. They look like one or the other.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Hi QueenB29!

Nice earrings & pendant; those are lovely.

Hmmm, you mentioned it''s more of royal blue w/ bits of green? I guess it''s an AZURITE.
26.gif

You may google it for some pics.

Gotgold

Rough_Rock
Earrings look like Afghanistani Lapis (I base the region on the style of the Earrings as well as the stones), pendant pics aren''t clear enough though it seems like it has blue as well as green, could be malachite/azurite? Azurmalachite. But still leaning more on Lapis on the pendant as well.

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 1:37:52 AM
Author: Gotgold
Earrings look like Afghanistani Lapis (I base the region on the style of the Earrings as well as the stones), pendant pics aren''t clear enough though it seems like it has blue as well as green, could be malachite/azurite? Azurmalachite. But still leaning more on Lapis on the pendant as well.
Bless you!!

(lol, sorry I have nothing helpful to add...but they are lovely!)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some very similar looking Afghan Lapiz.

I love the pendant btw!

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions. It hadn''t crossed my mind that they could be two different stones. Unfortunately, it was very busy Christmas fair, and there wasn''t an opportunity to talk to the dealer. I think I actually paid his kid.....

I''ll have to do some research on Afghani Lapis. I thought it only came in the darker blue. That would be cool. I love lapis, and have always wanted to own some ;-)

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 5:54:48 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I have some very similar looking Afghan Lapiz.

I love the pendant btw!
Do you have pictures you could post? That way I could compare.

And thank you very much. The compliments mean a lot coming from all of you; you all have such lovely jewelry.
9.gif

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
I am 99% sure it is Lapis.They are sold in India as necklace.Mr.Richard can make sure the rest 1%.Does it have some golden spinal like inclusion?
My mom has one such necklace,having about 40(I never counted)same sized and shaped individual stones like yours.It has golden inclusions,and more bright blue.
Sorry,I cant post picture this time(we have it in your country house),nor I know the price,as it was a gift.
It is sold here,as a bi-product from Gold mines-so there are golden inclusions.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I have no idea but I am absolutely in
30.gif
with the pendant!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
All of you guys had some great guesses..I would have said the same things..two different stones you have there like R said...the one in the setting is azurite with malachite and the earrings are most likely sodalite

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 12:04:21 PM
Author: stepcutgirl
I have no idea but I am absolutely in
30.gif
with the pendant!
LOL. Thank you. I was very surprised my brother did such a good job. I love it b/c it''s so unusual.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 12:02:00 PM
Author: rubyisforlove
I am 99% sure it is Lapis.They are sold in India as necklace.Mr.Richard can make sure the rest 1%.Does it have some golden spinal like inclusion?
My mom has one such necklace,having about 40(I never counted)same sized and shaped individual stones like yours.It has golden inclusions,and more bright blue.
Sorry,I cant post picture this time(we have it in your country house),nor I know the price,as it was a gift.
It is sold here,as a bi-product from Gold mines-so there are golden inclusions.
Unfortunately, there are no gold inclusions. Just a few that are beige. Your mom''s necklace must be stunning.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
After poking around online, I agree that it does look similar to the Chilean and Afghan lapis. And since it was purchased in Morocco, I''m guessing the Afghan variety would make more sense? I never knew lapis came in such a variety of beautiful blues....

Thank you everyone!
36.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Not really any reason for there to be afghan lapis in morocco but morocco is a big supplier of azurite so put two and two together..definetly not lapis..green and blue is a dead giveaway for azurite and malachite...especially if it's from morocco

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Cool! Thanks!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Here is the only azurite specimen i have from morocco..i got it with an order of vanadnites and argonites..only a small thumbnail spec. but you can see a few specks of malachite..it reminds me of material from bisbee

azzdut.jpg

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
So,its not Lapis?Thats the color my mom have-that is you holding amguy.And as I said there is golden inclusions.I will post pics later(may take 1 mo.-sorry for that delay).It is sold here in India as Lapis Necklace.One guy told me that story.Am sorry for conveying wrong message to you all.If I am not wrong Azurite is more costly?
So,the golden silk like inclusions are copper?But,years after years,those golden color is not changed(I want to say,copper will get greenish oxides,hydroxides,chlorides salt deposited over it).What is the likely cost of these one,carat wise?

@QueenB29 I love that silverwork too,its possible to make a pendant,earpieces from that set of my Mom.So,she will get a complete set (to be shared with my darling
41.gif
)
It is really a good collection,anyway.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
yea the gold inclusions are pyrite so yours would be lapis...I have never seen lapis with green-green in it..

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Posting that pic of necklace would be relevant here-we can understand the difference.Sorry,I dont have it in hand now(Read my mom dont have it in her neck).

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
here is a tile of natural afghan lapis(not dyed)..this piece was being used for a mosque in Kunduz but got a scratch on it so was not used and it found it''s way to my hands..this will be used for making cabs of whatever size now...I think and i am not sure but you want as little pyrite as possible when buying lapis..that determines how good the material is along with color but personally I love the pyrite flecks in lapis but for some reason i remember learning that the less pyrite the higher quality..does anybody know how they grade lapis?

lapis tl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results