shape
carat
color
clarity

Broken Rib

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2009 5:54:33 PM
Author: purrfectpear
**tickle, tickle, tickle...**

Oh no I didn''t
11.gif
9.gif
11.gif
Don''t make her laugh!
slap4.gif

Lisa, I''m so sorry you''re hurting. There must be some kind of pain reliever you can tolerate. My mom is really sensitive to stuff, but I know there''s one thing she can tolerate, just can''t remember what it is. But I would definitely be asking, there''s got to be something!
emrose.gif

lilylover

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t ever broken a rib, but I had four ribs removed (they grow back!) during my scoliosis surgery.

I would imagine that the pain is very similar. I remember one time sitting on the couch watching Friends after my surgery and eating some crakers. I laughed at the show, causing me to inhale a few cracker crumbs and OH MY the coughing fit that followed was the worst thing ever. I''m sure you can imagine what that would be like.

Anyway, what helped me was compression. Get some ace bandages and wrap them firmly, but not too firm, around your torso. This will help things from moving around so much and provide you some support.

For pain, you should ask for Vicodin. Codiene makes me sick as well, but I can tolerate Vicodin if I make sure I have something in my stomach before taking the medicine. Aleve is also the best OTC pain relief I have found.

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
Ouch! I''m sorry to hear about your ribs
7.gif
I won''t offer a hug.. but how about a fist bump? Try asking your doctor if he can order you an elastic wrap like someone else described. That may offer some support. Also let your doctor know you can''t take the pain medicine and that advil isn''t working. There are other options they may be able to offer you. Also, if you have been taking the medicine on an empty or almost empty stomach, try taking it on a full stomach. That may not help though as some poeple are just more sensitive to narcotics. Best of luck as you heal.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The new medicine is helping. I am stilll at a 10 pain wise. Maybe I am a wuss?? I dunno. But am a side sleeper, no can do with this. So lay flat on my back. The mornings are a killer. I wake up in agony.. As if I was waking up after a C section... Had 2 of those...

It could have been worse, so am blessed.. And one of my best friends and her hubby were in a bad car accident.. She's in the same amount of pain as me, we are going to hang at her house tomorrow and watch movies. Her hubby thank god wasn't hurt, which is a miracle as he was broad sided, by a cae that ran a red light grrrrr.
29.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
kaleigh, don''t think you are a wuss, hello you have fractured ribs!!! i can''t even imagine. baby yourself!

lily... i had no idea that ribs grew back. really??

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no! So sorry Kaleigh! I had a rib *strain*/bruising one time from bad coughing with Bronchitis and THAT killed. I can''t imagine what a broken rib must be like!
7.gif
39.gif
14.gif

The compression idea sounds promising? I remember doing a lot of holding of my hurt area & trying not to move it. Maybe call yr. doc & ask about wrapping with Ace bandages? Maybe at least while you "sleep" (as I know it isn''t really deep sleep).

Fist bump & hand squeeze!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2009 9:52:00 AM
Author: decodelighted
Oh no! So sorry Kaleigh! I had a rib *strain*/bruising one time from bad coughing with Bronchitis and THAT killed. I can''t imagine what a broken rib must be like!
7.gif
39.gif
14.gif

The compression idea sounds promising? I remember doing a lot of holding of my hurt area & trying not to move it. Maybe call yr. doc & ask about wrapping with Ace bandages? Maybe at least while you ''sleep'' (as I know it isn''t really deep sleep).

Fist bump & hand squeeze!
Thanks Deco. I will ask him on Monday if he thinks it would help. My friend is taking me to buy a body pillow to prop myself up... I am not sleeping very well, because I can''t get comfortable. I am a big side sleeper, so that''s out now. I pretty much just lie on my back.. Oh its sppppp boring...
20.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Lisa, I am so sorry for your trouble!

I was going to suggest pillows for positioning--it helps with breathing if your head-of-bed is elevated, and is easier to get up out of bed if you are not really flat. Also prevents you from rolling over on that sore side. The suggestion for alternating Advil and Tylenol as previously mentioned is good and keeping it on a schedule as well is important b/c you need to be out of pain to move/breathe properly and therefore heal. Stronger narcs might help but can depress resps.

Take care and don''t do too much--healing vibes your way!

cheers--Sharon

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried vicodin? Just a tip: Try .25 of the tablet or even less. It''ll take the edge off without you feeling high from the tablet. That''s what I''ve done in the past. It''s difficult to function when on medication so I always take the bare minimum.

Hope you feel better soon.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you get some relief soon Kaleigh! That just stinks.
7.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Lisa,

I have no advice, just wanted to chime in with good thoughts for a quick recovery and some pain relief in the meantime.

K

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry this happened to you and you are hurting and in so much pain. I have had broken ribs on two occasions. One when I feel out a door that I thought was shut tight. I fell 6 feet to the ground. The 2nd was a wipe out on rollerblades. But, I saved the face LOL It was a funny joke at the time.

Anyway.. If i am not mistaken drs do not wrap your mid section anymore when you break your ribs because, although it does help with the pain. It restricts your breathing and makes it easier for you to take short little breaths instead of deeper breathes that fully expand your lungs. Short breaths for long periods of time can give you pneumonia.

Good Luck with your healing process. pillows in bed really did help me. However I do remember that it took a good 2 weeks for the intense pain to let up. I am sorry your hurting.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many thanks for all the suggestions. Something isn''t right. I am waiting for hubby to get home tomorrow afternoon. Something isn''t right... It''s like the rib shifted??? Oh, I can''t take much more... Send me a vitrual shot Please!!!
39.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh Kaleigh- I hope you get well soon. Sorry no advice either
15.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2009 11:49:53 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Many thanks for all the suggestions. Something isn''t right. I am waiting for hubby to get home tomorrow afternoon. Something isn''t right... It''s like the rib shifted??? Oh, I can''t take much more... Send me a vitrual shot Please!!!
39.gif
Is there a "house call" type doctor in your town? Maybe someone can come over and give you that shot -- or make sure something terrible isn''t wrong until you can get to your own doc or hospital or urgent care. If you''re really feeling that bad ... get to the ER! Seriously!

DUST

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ouch! That hurts! You''re not a wimp - a broken rib really hurts.

I broke 2 ribs in a car accident, and I remeber hurting sooooo bad. When the dr was examining me, he pressed in on my side and the rib moved in my chest. 2 were broken and my ribcage was "dislodged." I had a lot of other injuries too, and pretty much all I remember is that I took lots of pain medicine and slept. It was just too miserable to be awake!

I hope you feel better soon. Be careful!

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Dear Kaleigh the pain must unbearable. I think you need to get to see a Dr ASAP. The problem with rib pain is that it an effect you ability to breathe effectively and that can cause some lung problems. Pain relief is a must and physio to keep your moving.
Thinking of you. Take care.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lisa, I am thinking about you. Please keep us updated when you can, especially after that last post. I am worried for you.
7.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh, I don''t have any advice as am not familiar with this or equipped to give advice. Just want you to know I''m thinking of you and hope that you''ll heal soon and the pain will be gone soon.

{{{{HUGS}}}

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lisa, how are you?

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Oh Kaleigh, how are you?
hope you got some relief!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 11:40:52 AM
Author: swimmer
Oh Kaleigh, how are you?
hope you got some relief!
hopin here too.
emhug.gif

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Kaleigh, so sorry to hear that you''re hurt, and still hurting. I cracked my rib a couple of years ago, I was in so much pain that I couldn''t move. I couldn''t hold my head up straight because I got hurt with my neck facing the side, lying down, so I had to go around with a crooked neck for a week once I stopped hurting enough to walk.

I''m hesitant to suggest this, but one thing that really really helped me heal faster was cupping. Have you heard of it? I was introduced by one of my professors whose wife has a chronic back problem and practices cupping. I had to trudge to class after going through the most ridiculous pain for three days, and he hooked me up with his wife who had me up and about in less than a week. According to her, the more messed up your body is, the blacker your bruises, because the circulation is poor. If you''re totally healthy, you don''t really bruise from the pressure at all.

Here are some links for facilities in your area (Philly, right?). They all seem quite credible, but you''d know your area hospitals better than me. I don''t know how willing you''d be to try something new, but I SWEAR it worked for me. And when you''re in enough pain, a little bruising fails to faze.

http://www.rittenhouseacupuncture.com/Flash.html

http://acupuncturists.healthprofs.com/cam/prof_results.php?s5=42&city=Philadelphia&county=Philadelphia&state=PA

http://www.tcmstrategies.com/

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I had 2 broken ribs while pregnant. I think the baby kicking me in the broken ribs caused most of the pain.

Obviously I couldn''t really take any meds except plain old Tylenol
20.gif
so I had to develop a few ways to ease the discomfort. First, keep your arms tucked into your body at all times. If you catch your shoulder on a doorway it is miserable! Try to get your deep breaths through belly breathing rather than chest breathing. Sitting up as straight as you can will give you a bit more airway too. I didn''t try to lie down to sleep, I was only in a reclined position with lots of pillows packing me into a corner so I didn''t hurt myself during the night. DH would block for me in public, there is nothing like getting jostled while you''re in that pain! Also, my doc told me to cough hard at least once an hour to prevent pneumonia. This wasn''t difficult for me because I broke the ribs from coughing with bronchitis.

Good luck and heal quickly! I do have a silver lining for you though....broken ribs heal faster than bruised ribs. So, if you gotta choose, you picked the best one.
40.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 1:13:10 PM
Author: somethingshiny
I had 2 broken ribs while pregnant. I think the baby kicking me in the broken ribs caused most of the pain.

Obviously I couldn''t really take any meds except plain old Tylenol
20.gif
so I had to develop a few ways to ease the discomfort. First, keep your arms tucked into your body at all times. If you catch your shoulder on a doorway it is miserable! Try to get your deep breaths through belly breathing rather than chest breathing. Sitting up as straight as you can will give you a bit more airway too. I didn''t try to lie down to sleep, I was only in a reclined position with lots of pillows packing me into a corner so I didn''t hurt myself during the night. DH would block for me in public, there is nothing like getting jostled while you''re in that pain! Also, my doc told me to cough hard at least once an hour to prevent pneumonia. This wasn''t difficult for me because I broke the ribs from coughing with bronchitis.

Good luck and heal quickly! I do have a silver lining for you though....broken ribs heal faster than bruised ribs. So, if you gotta choose, you picked the best one.
40.gif
Oh my, I can''t even imagine, you poor thing!!! My doc thinks I have more than one broken rib. I am getting a special scan on Thursday morning. I am in a great deal of pain, won''t lie. But do know I will get through this. Just takes time.
2.gif

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Kaleigh, I''m so sorry you''re hurt
8.gif
I have no advice, but I do know what it''s like to be allergic to medicine - it really makes things so much more difficult than they already are. I hope you feel better soon!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 5:01:21 PM
Author: Lilac
Kaleigh, I''m so sorry you''re hurt
8.gif
I have no advice, but I do know what it''s like to be allergic to medicine - it really makes things so much more difficult than they already are. I hope you feel better soon!
Thanks Lilac.

I don''t want to jinx anything...... but I feel a tad better?? Either that, or am getting used to the pain. I am still getting the scan on Thursday. I need to know if it''s more than one broken rib. Not that it will change anything, but just want to know..
I am not posting much these, days, and have become a bit of a slouch... I hate watching TV, so instead am watching fun movies, and friends have been coming by to cheer me up. I say enter at your own risk and please don''t make me laugh... Laughing is soooo painful..

Oh it''s a bore. I feel bad for anyone who has had to go through this...

Oh and my roots are screaming, I need to get my hair did, but can''t sit in a chair for nothing.... Beauty will have to wait, LOL!!!!
41.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/20/2009 12:13:04 AM
Author:Kaleigh
I am glad to be home in my bed, with my docs... I know there is nothing they can do for it, but wanted to know if anyone has been through this.

Kaleigh darlin'' I''m truly sorry that you''re in pain, but LOL, maybe if you kicked your docs out of your bed, you''d get more rest and heal faster. LOL.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I just saw this Kaleigh. I''m so sorry you are in this kind of pain. I''m a wus too about pain, but can''t take the narcotic stuff.
Ditto the poster who said alternate between Ex-Tylenol and Advil. Just did that when I had my wisdom teeth out and it worked.

I hope you get a good report tomorrow morning. Did you get your body pillow? I really think that would help you rest.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2009 9:01:54 PM
Author: Matata

Date: 8/20/2009 12:13:04 AM
Author:Kaleigh
I am glad to be home in my bed, with my docs... I know there is nothing they can do for it, but wanted to know if anyone has been through this.

Kaleigh darlin'' I''m truly sorry that you''re in pain, but LOL, maybe if you kicked your docs out of your bed, you''d get more rest and heal faster. LOL.
LOL!! That does sound naughty... Well to be truthful my Doc is a hottie....
31.gif

But what I meant was, I am glad to be home where I can see my primary doc and my rheumatologist... Get your mind out of the gutter woman!!!!
3.gif

God I set myself up for that one, Good call Matata!!!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results