shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile 4 prong pics?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kath

Rough_Rock
Anyone have any pictures of the Blue Nile Solitare 4 prong from the side?

Kath

Rough_Rock
Ooops..need to track by email..

Kath

Rough_Rock
Oh no - I''ve studied those pictures for hours! I''m looking for real life pictures to get a real life idea of how the ring might look. Thanks though!

ringsearcher99

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/5/2006 4:54:42 PM
Author: Kath
Oh no - I''ve studied those pictures for hours! I''m looking for real life pictures to get a real life idea of how the ring might look. Thanks though!
Were you able to find a pic? I''m looking for the same!

ringsearcher99

Rough_Rock
that''s exactly what i''m worried about, that it''ll be too high...i wonder if its possible to request bluenile to set it lower...but i don''t think so...if i find another pic i''ll post it....

Kath

Rough_Rock
I have corresponded with Blue Nile and they said they can definitely adjust the height of the diamond if you call and request a low setting, so you might want to look into that. But I just didn''t want to risk the ring turning out wrong, so I started looking at other settings. I fell in love with the 1/2 eternity setting. Blue Nile has one in the rings with sidestones section (it''s the one with prong in the title for around $1,100) so I''m going with a local store called Diamonds Direct that has this setting for cheaper than Blue Nile and diamonds with competitive prices as well. Let me know what you decide to do!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t worked with Blue Nile but I would imagine it would be no problem at all to set the diamond lower if that is what you want, should be an easy enough request.

ringsearcher99

Rough_Rock
Hmmm...if Blue Nile is able to set the diamond lower, perhaps I''ll give it a try, worst case I can return it and get the diamond back to be set elsewhere...like you said, it worries me a little that it won''t turn out how I''m expecting...but also, it seems to be a simple enough request! If I do get it, I''ll def post how it turns out! (I''m hoping to finalize my decision this week and order!)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might be worth doing especially as Kath has enquired and they said not a problem , if you have bought the diamond from them they will want to make you happy, this should be an easy enough task for an experienced setter to do - not all want the rock set high. Good luck!

ringsearcher99

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei for the vote of confidence...that makes me feel better!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No problem! Sometimes you have to try otherwise you might regret not getting exactly what you want, well worth a shot IMO!

sillybride

Rough_Rock
my fiance proposed to me with a 4 prong ring from bluenile. its breathtaking - i cannot tell u how many people have stopped me in public to ask about it. just wanted to let you know that its not too high up at all, but i think that is because its the contour ridged setting as opposed to the one you are talking about.

good luck!
1.gif

Kath

Rough_Rock
Sillybride - Do you have any pictures you could show us!?

ringsearcher99

Rough_Rock
Blue Nile did tell me the ridged contour was a lower setting, unfortunately the band is 3.4 mm and I as hoping to keep mine around 2.5 mm, it is a pretty setting though!

ringsearcher99

Rough_Rock
Kath, did you speak to anyone in particular at Blue Nile who told you a lower setting is possible? When I emailed Cust Service to ask if a lower setting is possible they said they cannot set a diamond lower or higher in their setting as they''re all done the same way...

Kath

Rough_Rock
Here are two of the emails I received. This first email makes it sound like they''ll set it as low as you request:

Thank you for your reply. The number of prongs won''t greatly impact the height of the diamond in the ring setting if everything else is equal. When setting a diamond into a ring head, there will almost always be a little bit of leeway for the jeweler in how high the diamond will sit in the ring setting. Our jewelers will usually set the diamond at a medium height (not the lowest or the highest they could) unless there is a special request. If you place your order by phone, you can let the Diamond and Jewelry Consultant you reach know that you would like the diamond to be set as low as possible within the ring setting, and we can add a note for our jewelers to this effect. Our top priority is always the security of the ring setting and the safety of the diamond, so as an example, for a solitaire style such as either of the ones you mentioned we couldn''t set the diamond so low that the culet was touching the band as this could increase the risk of the bottom of the diamond chipping if the ring received a rough blow.

I hope this information is helpful. Please don''t hesitate to contact me with any further questions or concerns, and thank you for shopping with Blue Nile.

Best Regards,

Sara Girganoff | Diamond and Jewelry Consultant
Blue Nile, Inc. | T 800.242.2728 | [email protected]

I also spoke with someone over the phone who said I should get another setting b/c the 4-prong at its lowest would still be too high for me.

Here''s the second email I got on the topic:

Our jewelers minimize as much as possible, the space in between the diamond and the ring. The space in between the diamond and the ring is not determined by the number of prongs.

Basically I was just too nervous about it being too high, which is why I decided to look at other settings. If you don''t mind sending it back if you''re unhappy, then I''d get it and see how you like it, but I found that by switching settings I ended up much happier and didn''t have to worry about sending it back. I actually switched to their tapered cathedral setting before I finally found the 1/2 cathedal that was just a bit more expensive.

Hope that helps somewhat.

ringsearcher99

Rough_Rock
Kath, thanks for all the info! I will call them and see what they say. So is the tapered cathedral a lower setting? Its just so hard to tell from the online pics, wish I had some real life ones...

Kath

Rough_Rock
I think the tapered cathedral is just the 4-prong with the sides going up, so it appears lower. I was going to get that one because I thought the sides would disguise a prongy-looking high setting and I thought it was pretty from the top, but I don''t think it''s actually set lower - just the illusion of a lower set.

ringsearcher99

Rough_Rock
Hmm..now that I look at it, I think you''re exactly right, it would def at least make it seem lower set.

sillybride

Rough_Rock
Here you go Kath,

Im afraid the picture doesn''t do the diamond justice - its actually a Signature Ideal Cut - but it does give you an idea of what the band looks like
35.gif

Picture454.jpg

Kath

Rough_Rock
Thanks Silly bride, it''s beautiful. Do you have any more views, specifically from the side? I would love to see any more pictures you have if you have any more or have time to take a few.

Thanks!

sillybride

Rough_Rock
Here you go - unfortunately this is the only side shot I have. Again, my apologies on the grainy quality of the pictures.

As you''ll see, its not too high up, but the band is definitely wider than you were hoping for.

Picture449.jpg

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I have a BN PLAT cathedral that I love! I''m a BN addict
21.gif

Carrie

cobrateach

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a 1.61 carat in a four prong Tiffany setting. I looovvvveee it. The diamond looks like it is floating on my finger and from the side you can see the diamond in the setting, therefore it makes you appreciate the beauty of the stone even more. It really makes for a wonderful look!

Kath

Rough_Rock
Februarybride and Cobra - I''d love to see pics of both of your rings!

Kath

Kath

Rough_Rock
Ringsearcher99 - Did you make a decision?

-Kath

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
KATH-Where are you from?

Kath

Rough_Rock
Grew up in Hillsborough, NC and live in Charlotte, NC - why?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results