shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel or prongs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I only have a sec-I''ve got to get in the shower quick so we can fly up to see Gramma quick. I read the rest of the responses and OOOOOH I feel a lot better! I fell asleep last night thinking about it and woke up thinking about it too.

I think I will take it to the jewelry store tomorrow and see if they have any empty settings, and I''ll ask Sally about it too, just to be sure.

Should I try and explain it better to Wink, and still get a quote? Or since I like Sally''s idea just go that route? I feel bad now that I asked Wink and got an idea from Sally already.

I''ll be back this afternoon-thank you again for settling me down. haha, who knew I would be so uber sensitive over a piece of jewelry??

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not normally a fan of bezel settings...but those rings are very graceful and if your stone doesn''t go too dark in one, I think it would look great in one.

Laura

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
So the pictures from the bedroom and bathroom didn''t look too dark?

Jstar, I read thru that thread, and I also read thru the one Ma Re mentioned-thanks for the heads up 7up!

(Ha, the froggie things are called Ideastix-and boy they stick like a sonofagun! I''ve had them on the bathroom sink, the outside of the tub, toilet and trashcan since 2005-I spray cleaner right over them and I''ve only had a few come off from the kids picking at them.)

I''ll talk to Sally about it more, send extra pics etc, just to make sure, but I do really want a bezel. Will it be a waste of Wink''s time if I talk to him more about it, when I like Sally''s idea so much? I don''t want to be a jerk.

I really think I would fret about it too much since I want a bezel solitaire so bad, if I went with prongs for this. I''ll take a leap of faith and do it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Collet bezel without a second thought. Why? Because you and I love it. Because the pavilion is open and is lets in almost as much light as prong set. What''s there to think about? GO for it!
36.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Pack, I vote for the bezel emphatically for a totally different reason. I love a good cushion (as you can see from my icon!) and I''ve never understood why someone would choose a singular shape and then stick it in the usual pronged setting that totally masks the shape. A nice, thin bezel that hugs that contours of a fancy shaped stone really allows the shape to stand out in a ways that a pronged setting doesn''t (unless the stone is gigantic, of course).

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sigh..you guys are so wonderful! I just feel so good and happy now! Seriously I''m giddy! Depending on how JD''s trapping goes this week, and what the quote is on it, I think I''ll even be able to put down a deposit soon!

Oh hey-would you milgrain the bezel or not?

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so glad you''re going for it! Its what you love (and it happens to be what I love, too, so I''m vicariously giddy). The milgrain bezel idea makes me think of Chrono''s amazing Quest ring. I have no idea whether you should or not, but thats in the dream e-ring folder in my head, too, so I''m excited to see what you decide. It might play up the delicacy, but people say it wear away, right?

36.gif
fun fun fun.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I love a bit of milgrain but...the design you''re using is so...tubular...that I''m not sure if the ultra-vintage look of milgrain adds that much to it.

Also, don''t kill me, but I actually liked your original inspiration best. It''s so sleek and modern without the swirly patterns. But I can certainly understand wanting something more ornate and something more "your own" too.

My sister''s milgrain:

ringappr.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m with Hest on the milgrain. Milgrain seems to fit best with an antique look. The design you have is very sleek, contemporary and smooth, making milgrain look out of place.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, thanks guys-that was the easiest decision since I started this quest in May! No milgrain it is!

Hest, your sister''s ring is gorgeous!

I like the inspriation ring w/out the swirlies a lot too..that was actually one of the things that drew me to it-it''s just so plain and delicate, to me anyway..but I think it''s a good way to change it w/out making it look totally and completely different, and it won''t change the top view which is good b/c the tapering towards the bezel is another thing that I LOVE about it. Sally did say that she would do just a tiny amount, so maybe not so ornate as the one w/the blue stone, but more like the other one w/the white stone.

I''d planned on doing unplated white gold when I was going to do the JM-would it still look ok w/this setting and the swirlies or would it look weird? I''ve actually never seen it IRL, just in Coati''s pictures. It''s probably not suited to this design right?

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
TL! Thanks for weighing in. Since this is the third or fourth tourmaline I''ve seen in real life (newbie!), its always great to hear from so many of you who know your stuff!

I think thats a great way to describe it
9.gif
It kind of reminds me of Tinkerbell in the old Peter Pan, where she just shoots off little lights as her way of speaking, because I really don''t know yet when it''ll light up!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Name it Tinkerbell! Not enough people name their pretty gems nowadays.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Packrat! I''m so sorry! I didn''t realize this is where that post ended up, I really meant for it to be on my thread about the stone and then this morning couldn''t figure out what happened! I don''t know if they can do that, but I might ask the mods to move it.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It doesn''t bother me Novel! Confused the crap out of me but it made me laugh!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got the quote from Sally today and it''s GOOD!!! I need to talk to JD tonight about it b/c the deposit is 50%. I''m so excited to think I could be starting my very first project pretty soon! Yippee!

He has been busy the last week doing his hobbies, so has apologized to me a few times b/c he''s hardly home and when he is, he''s dead on his feet, and at times a little cranky..but I think this ring will help make up for it! And the rest of my projects I have in mind, if they can be done by the end of next year, that will make up for it more hahahaha!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yippee! JD said he''ll have the down payment by Friday so I can let Sally know! I''m so jazzed right now!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
yay! sooooo exciting that you''ll finally get the project underway! woohoo!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Kas! It''s about dang time I have a project of my own!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/9/2009 8:59:42 PM
Author: packrat
Yippee! JD said he''ll have the down payment by Friday so I can let Sally know! I''m so jazzed right now!
yay! Pack! You''ll love Sally''s Work! I''m so glad you are going for it! and of course I cannot wait to see this beauty
30.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks D&T! He was feeling bad that it took so long to be able to afford for me to finish the project, and I''m like, heck I don''t care-we''re able to now, so that''s all that matters, and as we have the $$ for the rest of what I want to do, he''s given me the ok already. Then he says to me "Honey, if we had the money or won the lottery, you know I wouldn''t care how much you bought or how much it cost. Hell-we win the lottery you can buy jewelry for your jewelry site friends!" So cross your fingers we win the lottery everyone!
31.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/10/2009 5:02:49 PM
Thanks D&T! He was feeling bad that it took so long to be able to afford for me to finish the project, and I''m like, heck I don''t care-we''re able to now, so that''s all that matters, and as we have the $$ for the rest of what I want to do, he''s given me the ok already. Then he says to me ''Honey, if we had the money or won the lottery, you know I wouldn''t care how much you bought or how much it cost. Hell-we win the lottery you can buy jewelry for your jewelry site friends!'' So cross your fingers we win the lottery everyone!
31.gif
lol...well I''ll be thinking good thoughts for you Pack
31.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!

He was feeling bad that it took so long to be able to afford for me to finish the project
Heck, so much better to save up then to do it on credit. It''s the smart thing to do!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So excited for you!!

Did you have any sketches from sally? I know you''ll just love her work, the attention to detail is amazing!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 8:59:42 PM

Fabulous! I know Sally will do a lovely job on your ring. Keep us updated, pack!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Hest and MTG! Nope, no sketches yet! I asked about them tho, when I emailed yesterday, and said to nix the idea of milgrain around the bezel b/c it was unanimous on here! I''m so curious to see what she comes up w/for the profile-heck, I''m so curious to see sketches, period! I''m afraid you guys are going to be stuck w/a lot of excited commentary from me until this is done! (and the next one starts haha!)

I''ll need a wedding band for this too...
26.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Icekid! I sure will keep everyone updated!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
bezel all the way. the settings will allow light to travel the entire stone as you''re leaving the bottom unenclosed. the gold setting you''re aiming for is lovely.

mz

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks SDL and MZ! It makes me feel good, that I''ve made the right decision!

And update!! I have the down payment already! I''m 3 days closer than I thought I would be haha! Or, I will be, once I have an invoice anyway.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 5:07:32 PM
Author: Hest88
Congratulations!

He was feeling bad that it took so long to be able to afford for me to finish the project

Heck, so much better to save up then to do it on credit. It''s the smart thing to do!!!

I wholeheartedly agree. FI and I hate putting things on credit. That''s why it''s taking us forever and a day to get my e-ring done too, nothing wrong with that. If we see something that we really really like, we save up for it, I think it gives you more time to work out the details and decide if you really want it too.

I''m sooooo happy for you Packrat! Seems like you''ve been waiting forever for this, lol. I shall be waiting to read more of your ''excited commentary''
26.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Kas!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results