shape
carat
color
clarity

Best place to go diamond shoppping in SF area

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yellowbighonor

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

I thought I would address this to any of you guys in CA that is looking for a good Diamond Deal. I''ve done a lot of research on the net and this forum and I thought it would be only fair if I did my part now that I''m finally done(Thank God!).

Let me give you the bottom line first. I finally got the price and SERVICE I wanted at May''s Jewelers, 888 Brannan, 415-255-1151. Talk with May she is a chinese-vietnamese woman, who is really nice.

I was been looking for the following:
.8 - .85 carat
3.5 mm wide platinum ring that tapers into the diamond
Pave stones starting from half way up.
G Color, VSI
AGS 000 h&a

After reading a lot of recommendation here are the places I tried,
Derco Jewelers
Simayof
Affordable Diamonds Online (& tradeshop since they are the same company)
Ton of other internet sites

Here are the problems I had.
Internet Jewelers-I wanted a custom ring and most websites do not go into enough detail about wedding setting for you to clearly communicate what you want. It''s hard enough doing it in person, but at least you can look at a ring that maybe close and just talked about the changes you need. But the prices were good.

Simayof- Great store, lots of nice stuff, service was great, prices were just a little too high when compared to other stores. Jeff from the SF store is pretty cool. He made me feel comfortable about my budget and I could tell that he was genuinely interested in making me feel comfortable with my purchase.

DERCO- BIG PAIN. I read so many great things about Derco on this sight.BEWARE! There prices are OK, higher than internet prices though. My problem with them may be an isolated incident. My saleswoman, lets call her K-, wasn''t very friendly and dishonest. When I first went in, I asked a couple pat question to get a sense if the woman would snowball me or really try and be helpful. She wasn''t truthful. I went a total of three times and the each time she was there she kept trying to sell me. While I was deciding what I wanted the setting to be, I went in on a day she wasn''t working. I got a quote of $1k and had a great time with another sales clerk. I was excited and came back the next time only to find out from K- that the price had now gone up to $1400 because suddenly the price of platinum went up (in 3 days). Also, I was refered to Derco by a friend that said he could get be an additional 5% discount because he knew the owner. In fact he went in and bought something and got the discount. When I told K- that my friend would call in. She denied that anyone could be given a discount and that the price wouldn''t change.

I only kept going back because they were close to being within my budget. Even though I was finally able to crunch the numbers, I decided against it. Sooner or later I''ll be going back to a jewelry store for an anniversary or whatever. And I simply can not trust Derco. More specifically I decided to walk because I just didn''t trust her. Your experience may be different. Ask for Pete or one of their new trainees Greg(Owner Nephew), they both were really cool.

May''s Jewelry- Don''t bother looking for a website. They don''t have one. I am Asian so I can say this. She is so much nicer than other asian jewelers. If you have ever been to a Chinese Restaurant in China town then you know what I mean. May''s was the 8th or 9th place I walked into at the Jewelry Center. At first I only wanted a quote on the ring I described above. She beat the nearest competitor by 40%. The great thing was I didn''t even tell her what the competition was offering. Then I went through the process of exploring settings to communicate exactly what I was looking for. She was really helpful, let me know what size width of the ring would be best and actually worked with me in discussing what I had in mind.

Also she wasn''t at all pushy. She was just chill and friendly. I didn''t feel any pressure at all. That made me look into their diamond prices, she beat the best internet price by 15%. At least as far as I''ve seen that''s pretty unheard of.

Normally I am not the type of guy that gets on the net and posts something. But after trying to find time(I am a dental student)to study and buy a ring for the last month, I am so thankful for how nice they are, the service and price that I had to do my part.

Wherever you guys go, Good Luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on what sounds like a final great experience! Can you post specs on your final choice, as well as pictures?!
2.gif
We love pictures!
1.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 1/27/2004 12:38:06 AM yellowbighonor wrote:

DERCO- BIG PAIN. I read so many great things about Derco on this sight.BEWARE!

----------------

I give it 48 hours before the Derco "sock puppets" appear to refute all of this. Anyone want to take the bet?
naughty.gif
11.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll take 24 hours, LawBen.
2.gif

and they even give you donuts and water! WOW!
11.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Unfair Lawben---I mean, LawGEM!

I have purchased a number of items from Derco and always used the same person. It's like any other business; often times the service is not dependent so much upon the company but the customer service agent with whom you are working.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I suppose I should add that I have no experience with Derco myself and no reason to think anything about them one way or another. I just think it's amusing the way all these testimonials from brand-new accounts always seem to appear any time anyone says anything negative about them.
3.gif

WARDN23

Rough_Rock
HI, I JUST READ YOUR FORUM TODAY AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF BY CHANCE THE JEWELER YOU BOUGHT YOUR GIRL''S RING AT OFFERS FINANCING OR CREDIT. THANKS
1.gif

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
You may not have noticed, but this thread is 10 months old. Some suggestions for jewelry stores in the Bay Area are here

Good luck
21.gif

Youwereright

Rough_Rock
yellowbighonor is right about May''s Jewelers in San Francisco. After reading your reccomendation, and trying out other places (inlcuding Costco, internet sights, and other whosalesers) I felt confortable at May''s, and her pricing is aggressive.

I was looking for an engagement ring. She is at the JewelryMart in San Francisco. Call her at 415-255-1151.

Thanks for the reccomendation.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results