shape
carat
color
clarity

Best OEC <$4k

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also not a fan. That modern cushion is best with that 3 stone from BGD. Or similar from GOG.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also not a fan. That modern cushion is best with that 3 stone from BGD. Or similar from GOG.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1398477280|3660285 said:

I am sure GOG can do a setting like that. Vatche makes one with side pears as well. I really like the cushion you showed him, but I think a more ovalish cushion looks better with side pears than this one which is more squarish.

Gypsy, you are the perfect one to show him the difference a halo can make with a stone that faces up small (asscher). I know he dismissed halos, but I am not sure he realizes how small these stones are in reality and the incredible difference a halo can make. I have a 1 ct asscher in a halo, but I don't have any before pics because it was never in a solitaire.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1398477792|3660291 said:
Gypsy|1398477280|3660285 said:

I am sure GOG can do a setting like that. Vatche makes one with side pears as well. I really like the cushion you showed him, but I think a more ovalish cushion looks better with side pears than this one which is more squarish.

Gypsy, you are the perfect one to show him the difference a halo can make with a stone that faces up small (asscher). I know he dismissed halos, but I am not sure he realizes how small these stones are in reality and the incredible difference a halo can make. I have a 1 ct asscher in a halo, but I don't have any before pics because it was never in a solitaire.

I do have a halo on my stone. And they are great size boosters. But for stones of my size, I personally prefer halos that are REALLY slender, like my own. And those tend to be really expensive.

Also I live in Nor Cal and work for large corporation. And my stone is considered small for where I live and in my family. And I'll be honest I settled for a halo because I promised by DH I'd never upgrade my stone. If I had my way though, all that setting money would have just gone to a larger stone.

I just don't get the sense that making a diamond look larger and more pronounced is going to be the right thing in this case.

She's in South Carolina and works at a non-profit that helps the unemployed. I don't think a "look at me" setting is going to be the right choice for her. Also from the OP's description her style is understated. So again, I just don't think a halo is a good fit.

And she has expressed an interest in the past to the OP in three stones.

And this is just stunning and so classic and elegant: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/the-summer-18k-white-gold-5371w18 and it would look fantastic with that cushion.

I do think GOG could do a great three stone with that modern cushion and pear sidestones. I don't know that I'd go for Vatche, they can be very expensive! But GOG does do custom work. So that's an option that would probably be more budget friendly.

But if the OP did want a halo, GOG might be able to quote him one with 1/2 pointers on a plain shank like mine. I don't know what it would cost though.

file.jpg

travist223

Shiny_Rock
i'm wondering if the pear stones are dangerous though...she mentioned she wasn't a fan (but presumably she was talking about the center stone)

i also like those fishtail prongs....i wonder if there's a way to combine the GOG cushion with those, in a 3 stone type deal...

i feel like i'm just mashing up ideas.

anybody got an OEC/cushion/halo/3 stone/antique/modern/yellow/white gold ring? ay carumba.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, if you are going to go with a custom three stone from GOG how about this. You can do any prongs you want.

Call GOG and ask if they have any matching pairs. Tell them you are interested in trapazoids, small rounds and baguettes.

Ask them if they can take a picture of the cushion with any pairs they may have in stock.

Because there are a lot of three stone combos that would work with a cushion center. It's all about proportions.

cushion-contour-trellis.jpg

cushion_cut_0.jpg

6a00d83421e3fa53ef00e550a1189d8834-500wi.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

travist223

Shiny_Rock
that first one is nice.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first three stone or the first beverly k?

travist223

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1398488510|3660418 said:

actually both.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
travist223|1398488622|3660419 said:
Gypsy|1398488510|3660418 said:

actually both.

Well, both of those are easy for GOG to do. The three stone: the rounds I would go with 20-25 point stones and they can easily get H-I stones for you (You don't need certified stones in that size. Just tell them you want ideal cuts and verification by SARIN will be enough.)

And the first Beverly K is lovely and easy to order for your stone as they are a retailer.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like Gypsy's suggestion of a Beverly K setting, especially if you are going to go with that lovely GOG cushion as they will take care of it all for you. Beverly K's are more carefully crafted than the Leigh Jay Nacht semi-mounts that you were considering awhile back, yet still would convey the vintage feel you've always told us you thought would appeal to her.

Here's another Beverly K that's well suited to a cushion; a variation of the one Gypsy found for you (and GOG may be able to offer it to you at a lower price than Greenwich Jewelers is showing):
http://www.greenwichjewelers.com/sh...nspired-diamond-engagement-ring-with-filigree

beverlyk_at_greenwichjewelers.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
MollyMalone|1398494857|3660440 said:
I really like Gypsy's suggestion of a Beverly K setting, especially if you are going to go with that lovely GOG cushion as they will take care of it all for you. Beverly K's are more carefully crafted than the Leigh Jay Nacht semi-mounts that you were considering awhile back, yet still would convey the vintage feel you've always told us you thought would appeal to her.

Here's another Beverly K that's well suited to a cushion; a variation of the one Gypsy found for you (and GOG may be able to offer it to you at a lower price than Greenwich Jewelers is showing):
http://www.greenwichjewelers.com/sh...nspired-diamond-engagement-ring-with-filigree

That's actually the same setting as the first one I showed above. Just with a different center stone. I think it's a setting that lends itself very well to square and rectangular cuts.

I really like it too Molly. And you are right, they are well crafted (the price difference is because the other one is 14kt and this one is 18kt).

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1398495841|3660444 said:
That's actually the same setting as the first one I showed above. Just with a different center stone. I think it's a setting that lends itself very well to square and rectangular cuts.

I really like it too Molly. And you are right, they are well crafted (the price difference is because the other one is 14kt and this one is 18kt).
Well, that's embarrassing -- maybe if it weren't 3 AM here in NYC, I would have noticed (the Turkish coffee I foolishly had with a late dinner means I'm awake, but obviously not alert!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely ADORE the Beverley K settings!!!! I think it would be fine with the modern cushion, but I LOVE that setting with the asscher! How about an asscher, Travis?! I love the second BK setting, too!

(Gyspy, I love your setting and I agree that the best halo settings are priced higher. But I am from and currently live in the Carolinas and worked in high poverty schools for more than 20 years, and it was really okay to wear above a 6mm diamond! Most of the young teachers didn't have huge rocks, but they had diamond settings and some certainly had one carat stones in a halo or with sidestones. If we were talking about a halo on a 2 ct stone, I would agree that it would be out of place here. I am fine, though, if he goes in the direction of a beautiful setting like BK, though, instead.)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, Gypsy, how about THIS in that gorgeous BK setting???

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11586/ ($4150!!!!!) :love:

Travis, if you really just want a plain three stone setting and that squarish modern cushion, I think you need to go with the tapered baguette sides with that shape center. If you go with a more oval center, you can better do round or pear sides. But it sounds like she may not be a fan of pears, so I would probably not risk that. I sincerely think the BK settings are going to result in a more beautiful ring, especially with that asscher, but if you think she wants a more modern ring, then you can go with the modern cushion with baguette sides.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that's a gorgeous option. But I am hesitant to get a step cut from someone that hasn't expressed a love for them. Still, it's a beautiful stone.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am quite fond of step cuts & the intriguing way a well-cut one draws you in to its depths, but agree that step cuts are an iffy proposition (as is a marquise) for someone who has yet to express enthusiasm for them.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1398569646|3661016 said:
I think that's a gorgeous option. But I am hesitant to get a step cut from someone that hasn't expressed a love for them. Still, it's a beautiful stone.

He has looked at so many different shapes that I figured one more woudn't hurt! ;)) I just think it is 1000 times better in the BK setting than a modern cushion.

If he thinks she wants a modern cushion, since it is pretty square/rectangular, I'd prefer side baguettes if he doesn't want an antique style setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1398602816|3661153 said:
I am quite fond of step cuts & the intriguing way a well-cut one draws you in to its depths, but agree that step cuts are an iffy proposition (as is a marquise) for someone who has yet to express enthusiasm for them.

Most girls who have only looked at local jewelers and mall jewelers have likely never seen an asscher cut, period. I went in a nice jeweler store last summer and the sales person just was fascinated by my asscher right hand ring! She held my hand for the longest time just gazing into those facets! I have never seen an asscher locally, either. Good asschers are even more rare.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
travis, you are all over the place! Honestly, if you think she'd like an antique style ring, please stick with a Beverley K setting and a diamond that is graded so you know what you are getting. Those diamonds in those rings are not GIA graded, so we have no idea what they are. I suspect that the prices are very high as well. I also wouldn't buy a size 8 ring and expect to size it down to a small size.

travist223

Shiny_Rock
Relax..just brainstorming. But thanks.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That seller has great selection. But their prices are unfortunately high because they charge the same prices as sellers tho get their stones certified-- but all of their stones are uncertified which is not okay for their pricing. So they basically overcharge. Occasionally they will negotiate though. I've called them about some of their items.

If you go with an uncertified stone, it is a high risk transaction. That is supposed to translate into pricing breaks. And a GIA graduate appraisal is just plain toilet paper, considering it's an in house appraisal and not an independent one.

So basically... I would only buy an uncertified stone with a large discount. And that sellers pricing doesn't qualify.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1398735987|3662334 said:
And a GIA graduate appraisal is just plain toilet paper, considering it's an in house appraisal and not an independent one. .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So true....don't be fooled OP.

travist223

Shiny_Rock
thanks, guys.

at some point i'm going to cut off the "what about this one" posts, and just revisit everything in one marathon research session. when it's really time to buy.

with that said, sorry for being all over the place. feel free to ignore me if you want...i get it might be annoying. but if you wish, feel free to humor me for a couple more days...

what about the below link? (i'm really starting to go back to vintage, now that we sort of spoke more candidly about her preferences over the weekend...also the loveaffairdiamonds 1.2 ct cushion ring gypsy recommended originally and possibly the other loose cushion from LAD with a TBD setting..

http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/engagement-rings/0.94ct-diamond-platinum-engagement-ring/20600/3/item#

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
travist223|1398743610|3662415 said:
thanks, guys.

at some point i'm going to cut off the "what about this one" posts, and just revisit everything in one marathon research session. when it's really time to buy.

with that said, sorry for being all over the place. feel free to ignore me if you want...i get it might be annoying. but if you wish, feel free to humor me for a couple more days...

what about the below link? (i'm really starting to go back to vintage, now that we sort of spoke more candidly about her preferences over the weekend...also the loveaffairdiamonds 1.2 ct cushion ring gypsy recommended originally and possibly the other loose cushion from LAD with a TBD setting..

http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/engagement-rings/0.94ct-diamond-platinum-engagement-ring/20600/3/item#

It's okay. It's a flat top tranny. Not a lot of fire.

Ask for pics without photoshopping. I'd want at least one head on, and one profile before commenting further.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
travist223|1398743610|3662415 said:
thanks, guys.

I think the STYLE is nice - it's a little vintage but not too in your face vintage. It's a safe bet. But there are nicer rings out there. You can definitely do better. Can't comment on the stone because it is so photo shopped. It almost looks like CAD images :???:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results