shape
carat
color
clarity

Beauty Products You Are Loving...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1445055568|3939136 said:
PintoBean|1444918030|3938525 said:
packrat|1444846800|3938231 said:
I will check out the gel polish, teklit, thanks! I love how my hands look after having my nails done-and part of that I know is b/c they do all the nice stuff to your hands, whereas when I would do it, I slap polish on and call it good so I need to take the time to do it right. I end up picking it off after the first week after it grows a little-which makes it such a waste of money haha!

I need a really good body lotion. I need to go back thru the thread I think and make notes. I've been using the "pretty" lotions I have at home, but they really just only smell nice, they don't do anything for the skin otherwise. I just want to use them up! But I've noticed the last while my skin looks crepe-y, like on my upper chest etc and the rest of my body skin in general just doesn't look good. I know I shouldn't compare to how it looked back in the day but yeesh. The skin on my thighs in spots feels like...scales sort of. That all started when I was pg years ago so I think some of it is weird stretch marks, but I wonder if having a great and hydrating lotion would help reduce how yucky it looks.

Barring any nut allergies, I got a big bottle of sweet almond oil, cold pressed, hexane free, off amazon.com. It's the brand that has like 1,000 reviews and 5 stars? Majestic pure maybe? I am digging the results Moreso than any lotion I've tried. And when I was crazy inflamed with eczema and scratching like a loon, almond oil and fractionated coconut oil were the only things that didn't sting.

No nut allergies so I will look into this, thanks! It's not greasy or anything? Since it's an oil? I don't worry so much at night before bed (I read a while back that you lose a lot of moisture from your skin at night..not sure if it's true or not, but I used to lotion again before bed especially during the winter months when it's so dry) but when I get out of the shower before work every day I lotion and don't want to mess up my clothes. I used to use cocoa butter in the am and nivea at night. (love love love the smell of both of those)

Not greasy at all when you apply straight to dry skin. When I apply after showering to damp skin, I need a few extra minutes to absorb. That's when I do things like floss and brush my teeth lolol.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1445104742|3939312 said:
I love OPI colors and love the full-size OPI polishes in terms of application and wear - but haven't ever used a mini OPI polish (I'm just guessing this set is comprised of mini polishes). For me, 26 new colors at once would be a bit more than I'd want to receive all at once, but I'm old-school and only use one (and sometimes 2) colors at a time... I think most females into doing their own manicures would love to score 26 OPI colors.

Unfortunately the few OPI minis I've bought - a year or two ago - also have mini brushes. The formula is nice and does smooth out quite well, but I still find the mini brushes to be quite vexing.

I wish someone market half- or quarter-sized bottles of nail polish that use quality brushes. I rarely finish off a full-sized bottle, yet I hate throwing out partial bottles, so they accumulate... :nono: and make me think twice when I'm consider a new shade.

teklit

Rough_Rock
packrat|1445102953|3939304 said:
Teklit (or anyone else of course!), I have been looking at polishes. Do you know anything about these brands? I found a Deborah Lippmann 9 piece set on Sephora, and also a Formula X set on Sephora as well. And an OPI 26 piece set of mini's on Ulta. I ask b/c my daughter likes to paint her nails as well and the sets seem like a good way to get several colors for a good price. (and the mini's seem like a good idea since I've never in my entire life used a full bottle of polish)

I own one Deborah Lippmann, so I haven't sampled her products enough for a reliable opinion. Polish can perform differently within the same brand, the color changes the formula. For example, true reds to orange toned reds tend to be watery, and more vampy to blue toned reds tend not to be so watery.

With the one Deborah Lippmann I own, the polish dries fast. This means you have to work quickly and accurately. Chanel does the same thing, dries fast. It's pro stuff. Polishes that take a little longer to dry are more forgiving (like OPI), easier to fix, and wont "rope" as quickly, but of course it takes longer to dry and increases the risk of accidentally smudging.

I'd buy a young lady more colors!!! OPI makes awesome colors, that's their shtick.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oofda, I'm not very fast so maybe the DL polishes won't be for me ha! The Formula X ones are pretty also but there's only 4 in the pack I was looking at-they have 4-packs according to your skin and I'm the fair/light, and those colors I like a lot. And there's quite a few of the Vinylux ones I like also. I'll get London the OPI pack for her birthday along w/a base/top coat. She'll get a kick out of that I think. Plus then mommy can use some of the colors too of course! I'll order that and see what the colors are when it comes (the picture is super tiny online) and then get some Vinylux and Formula X ones to fill in other colors I would like. I've got some other things at home I can use, a hand scrub and cuticle remover cream etc so we can make a time of it. If I put something on tv she likes she'll be more apt to sit.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone upthread recommended Sephora eye makeup remover for my niece, so I bought some for myself yesterday. Just used it and am pleased to say it's excellent! It's the one that's blue and needs to be shaken. It cut through waterproof mascara and there appear to be no negatives - no oiliness in your eyes like my niece reported with the Neutrogena. I also recently tried Boots No 7, bought at Walgreens, and it was terrible. It only took off about half my eye makeup and I had to use my usual stuff after!

So anyway, big thumbs-up for Sephora eye makeup remover.

teklit

Rough_Rock
packrat|1445277044|3939881 said:
Oofda, I'm not very fast so maybe the DL polishes won't be for me ha! The Formula X ones are pretty also but there's only 4 in the pack I was looking at-they have 4-packs according to your skin and I'm the fair/light, and those colors I like a lot. And there's quite a few of the Vinylux ones I like also. I'll get London the OPI pack for her birthday along w/a base/top coat. She'll get a kick out of that I think. Plus then mommy can use some of the colors too of course! I'll order that and see what the colors are when it comes (the picture is super tiny online) and then get some Vinylux and Formula X ones to fill in other colors I would like. I've got some other things at home I can use, a hand scrub and cuticle remover cream etc so we can make a time of it. If I put something on tv she likes she'll be more apt to sit.

I'd definitely recommend a base and top coat, but when I was young (and knew everything already) I never used them. :p

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
teklit said:
tuffyluvr|1443993910|3934808 said:
teklit said:
My DH has rosacea (pink cheeks), his dermatologist figured out that SLS was aggravating his condition.

The hubs started buying Nature's Gate shampoo and body wash... I really like it!!
Not only is it a nice shampoo, it's cheap, like suave cheap (If you buy it online and not at the organic grocery store- it was twice the price there).

It also makes an excellent bubble bath!!

I love Nature's Gate products too! Their natural roll-on deodorant is far and away the best I've ever used (like, it actually DOES work). Spring Fresh is the best fragrance, IMO.

I bought some after your suggestion. The grapefruit ginger. It does work, better than TOMs for sure! And TOMs always felt so... wet.
I was using secret clinical with extra aluminum.

Their fragrances are really good too. I wish they made this scent in a body lotion. I may try the shampoo in this scent next, but my husband, being a man, buys in bulk. We have like 4 bottles of shampoo left to go through.

I'm so glad you like it!!! I like it so much that the last time I bought in bulk (6 tubes), but the grapefruit ginger sounds amaze! They must have expanded the line, because I'd never seen that scent before! I'll look out for it once I've gone through the remaining 3 tubes I have left ;P

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Jambalaya said:
Hmm, I might have to check out this Nature's Gate stuff...

It actually does work, and it costs about the same as regular deodorant. FWIW, the other natural deodorant I've found to work is Crystal Essence (I like the chamomile and green tea scent and I've only tried the spray). The only caveat is that you MUST apply to clean, dry underarms otherwise it doesn't work. At all. So after a shower I dry my underarms well and apply 3 sprays to each "pit". They also make individually packaged pre-moistened towelettes that I love because I can keep them in my purse "just in case" I need to freshen up (literally).

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I just looked online and it appears that Nature's Gate discontinued making roll-on deodorant. I'll try the stick, but am somewhat disappointed as I really liked the roll on

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1444406590|3936638 said:
Jambalaya|1444400030|3936607 said:
Can anyone recommend a good root-lift spray? I have the pancake-flat hair, and I'm looking for something a little better than the Garnier root lift, which does work but leaves your hair stiff. Thanks!
Sometimes dry shampoo is better for volume because it provides really soft lift. You can google "dry shampoo for volume" and see all kinds of advice for how to use it.

There are also volumizing powders that work REALLY well and might be more economical.

Batiste makes both. I haven't tried their volumizing powder, but I use their dry shampoo religiously.

Just used Dove dry shampoo as it had the best reviews online. I let my hair get kind of greasy first, of course. Well, I see what you mean about volume. I look like Teen Wolf! Seriously, I like the root lift, but my hair doesn't feel or really look clean, and the spray soaking up some of the oily roots doesn't, of course, do anything for the style which has dropped out since I last washed it. I'm more likely to use this product as a styling aid after washing and drying my hair, rather than as a real alternative to shampooing. I could use it as a dry shampoo in a pinch, but to be honest I think it's obvious that my hair hasn't been washed. Thanks for the tip about using it to volumize. I think I'll go and look into those volumizing powders now - never heard of that before.

ETA: Batiste has by far the best reviews for dry shampoo. I think I'm going to try this brand.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1445443625|3940661 said:
House Cat|1444406590|3936638 said:
Jambalaya|1444400030|3936607 said:
Can anyone recommend a good root-lift spray? I have the pancake-flat hair, and I'm looking for something a little better than the Garnier root lift, which does work but leaves your hair stiff. Thanks!
Sometimes dry shampoo is better for volume because it provides really soft lift. You can google "dry shampoo for volume" and see all kinds of advice for how to use it.

There are also volumizing powders that work REALLY well and might be more economical.

Batiste makes both. I haven't tried their volumizing powder, but I use their dry shampoo religiously.

Just used Dove dry shampoo as it had the best reviews online. I let my hair get kind of greasy first, of course. Well, I see what you mean about volume. I look like Teen Wolf! Seriously, I like the root lift, but my hair doesn't feel or really look clean, and the spray soaking up some of the oily roots doesn't, of course, do anything for the style which has dropped out since I last washed it. I'm more likely to use this product as a styling aid after washing and drying my hair, rather than as a real alternative to shampooing. I could use it as a dry shampoo in a pinch, but to be honest I think it's obvious that my hair hasn't been washed. Thanks for the tip about using it to volumize. I think I'll go and look into those volumizing powders now - never heard of that before.

ETA: Batiste has by far the best reviews for dry shampoo. I think I'm going to try this brand.
No, no, no...for volume, use it on clean hair!!

I never cared for the dove brand.. batiste is my favorite.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh. Oops. OK, for volume do I use it on clean or damp hair?

Reviews for the Batiste plumping powder are not as positive as their dry shampoo - which most people seem to love. I'll try Batiste. Do you buy yours online?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so... product rave.

I wanted a night cream for my face. I have oily/combo skin and most things do not agree with my skin, one way or another. I get blackheads easily and still (at 40!)

I also didn't want to spend a ton. And wanted something that would control my oily skin without drying me out, and improve my complexion.

I saw the reviews for the Boots No7 Perfect Skin Night Cream for Oily/Normal skin. And since I knew Target would take it back if I had a problem with it, I went for it.

Been using it ten days and I have really seen a difference. My skin looks the best it ever has. So much so that I went today and bought the day cream (just been using my sunscreen moisturizer).

I do use it with eye cream at night. And the Shiseido eye cream recommended on here is the one I decided on for night. It is very emollient. A little goes a long way and I know it will last. Plus it absorbs well and doesn't go tacky on me (important as the tacky stuff meant I kept getting cat hair stuck to my eyes, lovely).

And I also use a lip balm with it.

But its great.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone use a white eyeliner to do that inside rim of your eye? I'd gotten a liner a few years back (not white-white, sort of a pale pink-off white color), but it makes my eyes itchy so I tossed it. I think it was a Stila one but don't remember. Then I got this pinky pearl big crayon liner that I use (well, I've used it three whole times cuz we never go anywhere) in the corners of my eyes by my nose and then under my eyebrows-so I tried that but it looked funny next to the whites of my eyes so I wondered if a regular white pencil would be better.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1446429969|3944635 said:
Does anyone use a white eyeliner to do that inside rim of your eye? I'd gotten a liner a few years back (not white-white, sort of a pale pink-off white color), but it makes my eyes itchy so I tossed it. I think it was a Stila one but don't remember. Then I got this pinky pearl big crayon liner that I use (well, I've used it three whole times cuz we never go anywhere) in the corners of my eyes by my nose and then under my eyebrows-so I tried that but it looked funny next to the whites of my eyes so I wondered if a regular white pencil would be better.

I tried a white liner once but didn't like the look, part of it I think was it didn't apply nicely/evenly on my inner eye and it was too narrow a point.

I do use Benefit's Eye Bright (http://www.sephora.com/eye-bright-P1278?skuId=108811) - I put it in the inner corner and sometimes I also put it on the inner rim - for me it does a great job of brightening up my eye area.

I've also used blue or turquoise eye pencils on the inner rim and that really does whiten the eye whites a lot - but that is more for going out, rather than an everyday look for me.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Jambalaya|1445457654|3940774 said:

Reviews for the Batiste plumping powder are not as positive as their dry shampoo - which most people seem to love. I'll try Batiste. Do you buy yours online?

I find Batiste at my Rite Aid pharmacy.
You use it on dry hair. I think that if you used it on wet/damp hair, it wouldn't work because it's actually a powder that's meant to absorb access oils.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuffyluvr|1445294991|3940014 said:
Jambalaya said:
Hmm, I might have to check out this Nature's Gate stuff...

It actually does work, and it costs about the same as regular deodorant. FWIW, the other natural deodorant I've found to work is Crystal Essence (I like the chamomile and green tea scent and I've only tried the spray). The only caveat is that you MUST apply to clean, dry underarms otherwise it doesn't work. At all. So after a shower I dry my underarms well and apply 3 sprays to each "pit". They also make individually packaged pre-moistened towelettes that I love because I can keep them in my purse "just in case" I need to freshen up (literally).

Where do you buy the Nature's Gate one, Tuffy?

(I've tried a few natural deodorants and they don't work for me...some work better than others but ultimately I go back to Mitchum with aluminum :( haven't given up yet though)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1446430914|3944640 said:
packrat|1446429969|3944635 said:

I tried a white liner once but didn't like the look, part of it I think was it didn't apply nicely/evenly on my inner eye and it was too narrow a point.

I do use Benefit's Eye Bright (http://www.sephora.com/eye-bright-P1278?skuId=108811) - I put it in the inner corner and sometimes I also put it on the inner rim - for me it does a great job of brightening up my eye area.

I've also used blue or turquoise eye pencils on the inner rim and that really does whiten the eye whites a lot - but that is more for going out, rather than an everyday look for me.

Similarly, blue black mascara can make your eyes appear whiter.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1445457654|3940774 said:

I have something for lift that works great...Big Sexy Hair Powder Play. You put it in dry hair down on your root line then sort of use
your fingers to sort of scratch in a circle. It will fluff right up. I first saw it on a youtube video so if you need more details...go there.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have a recommendation for a silk pillowcase?

I became interested when a few of you mentioned that's what you sleep on...(I think missy and momhappy were where I first heard it from).

There are tons of choices out there and I'd like to get a good one but not overpay.

If you have some ideas, let me know! Thank you :wacko:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1455375426|3990512 said:

I became interested when a few of you mentioned that's what you sleep on...(I think missy and momhappy were where I first heard it from).

There are tons of choices out there and I'd like to get a good one but not overpay.

Missy and momhappy hoping you see this ::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1455543818|3991251 said:
CJ2008|1455375426|3990512 said:

Missy and momhappy hoping you see this ::)

Thanks for bumping it up. I see it! :bigsmile:

This is the most recent silk pillowcase I bought. It is very thin but very soft and it doesn't mess my hair the way non silk pillowcases do. I wash on the delicate cycle and air dry and so far so good. I have had it since summer. I have a lot of different silk pillowcases however but cannot remember where I got them. I would say this is on the lower end of quality compared to my others however the price is right and it does the job and is super soft and comfie so no complaints. Nice price and doesn't frizz my hair. HTH CJ!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FWZW1XM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very much, missy!

(I did have to look up HTH)

Thank you!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you really see a difference in your hair and skin with a silk pillowcase? Does it make you sweat? In one of the Amazon reviews, a woman said that she also bought silk pajamas to preserve the skin on her body. Do you think this would work?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1455546046|3991263 said:
Very much, missy!

(I did have to look up HTH)

Thank you!

You're very welcome! I hope it helps you CJ.
And sorry about using the HTH abbreviation LOL.

House Cat|1455566040|3991343 said:
Do you really see a difference in your hair and skin with a silk pillowcase? Does it make you sweat? In one of the Amazon reviews, a woman said that she also bought silk pajamas to preserve the skin on her body. Do you think this would work?

Hi House Cat, I get hot easily so I never wear pajamas and only wear a (supima) cotton short and sleeveless nightgown to bed no matter the season so I cannot answer your question about silk PJs. The silk pillowcase does not make me sweat however and it does keep my hair smoother than cotton pillowcases do. As for preserving skin on the body I never heard that and would think it doesn't make sense and is therefore untrue. But I cannot say for sure.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So many great tips everyone! Personally, I love PCA skin broad spectrum SPF 45. A true lifesaver for my sensitive skin that can be quite oily and prone to acne breakouts if I'm not careful. This one is invisible and leaves a velvet to dewy finish, at least on me :) I also love Jane Irendale lipdrink lipbalm - a hint of colour and sooo good for dry lips. (I hate regular lipstick, just gets on my coffee cup as I obviously drink to much coffee.. LOL) Decleor rose oil is perfect for any skin irritation or dry patches, or simply to add some glow/dewyness on top of cheekbones (use a very small amount under foundation). Bobbi brown is my current favourite makeup brand, looks natural and doesn't irritate my skin. I'm a little too fond of makeup, so I might have a new favourite next month... :shhh:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have a recommendation for blackhead treatment for very sensitive skin? I now have a new skin problem :(( .

I have hypersensitive, very dry rosacea skin and cannot tolerate any type of manual exfoliation (so no to Clarisonic and all the rest of those physical exfoliators) but read that chemical exfoliation can be more gentle. Last night I ordered a few Paula's choice liquid exfoliators with 1% and 2% BHA and will spot treat and see if I have a bad reaction or if it will even help clear my blackheads.

I also got a sample yesterday at a local chemist store for Avene cleanance expert treatment. When I tried it I found it was scented. Arghh why do they put fragrance in a product for sensitive skin? Anyway just spot treated last night and nothing happened yet. Sometimes I get reactions days later so we'll see.

Saw my derm last week and he manually pushed on the blackhead with a metal instrument (is this extracting it?) and now I have a tiny hole where the blackhead was. I am upset and I hope I am not left with a permanent scar/hole there. My dermatologist is an expert in medical dermatology but not a cosmetic dermatologist at all and I think I made a big mistake letting him do that to my blackhead. ;(

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
From my experience, the faster you get the gunk out of the pores, the better. If it stays, the pore seems to be more apt to be permanently "open" and stretched. They say not to pick, but using one of those things w/the hole is the "best" way since it puts pressure evenly all around it, as opposed to using fingers which just puts pressure on the sides. It might take a bit but the pore should revert back to normal.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy can your sensitive skin tolerate honey? There are honey alone or honey plus a few other natural ingredients mask recipes online. What I like is that you would know exactly what you're putting on your face, in case you have a reaction, so you know to avoid that ingredient going forward.
http://homeremediesforlife.com/honey-for-blackheads/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks packrat. So far the pore is still open and I think a few more blackheads are developing. OH joy. Battling a new skin issue at 50. The fun never stops. :sick:

Pintobean, thank you. I will check out your link.
I tried honey around 18 months ago when I was dealing with POD. Sort of nervous to try it again and it could just be I am sensitive to honey with all my allergies and such. It didn't help me at that time and it might have exacerbated things. I just don't know. I used a tiny bit of the Avene Clenance twice now applying a tiny bit of it on my nose even with the fragrance that is causing my nose to run and be sensitive and so far no bad reaction. I am waiting for the Paula's choice BHA treatments to arrive to try that. Hoping it is gentle enough to not cause me to get worse yet can still help my skin.

I have been reading Paula's choice website and Makeup Alley's website too. Lots of info.

Kenny, that paper bag mask you posted a few pages back is starting to look pretty good to me these days. :lol: :((

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results