shape
carat
color
clarity

Bad setting job!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 5:11:23 PM
Author: Babyblue033
Hopefully it''ll be an easy fix like Michael said. But I cannot believe anyone will let it leave their door like that! What were they thinking???
29.gif
DITTO!

Big hugs!

Lori

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s really bad. You are going to get water (condensation) under the stone. Not only that, now I wonder if the stone might be chipped underneath the bezel since it appears the jeweller doesn’t know how to do a good bezel. I''d definitely ask for my money back.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
What the heck? I hope the stone is not damaged as they obviously didn''t know what they were doing.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I took the ring back yesterday to my jeweller. He did do some finishing job on it. I tried to talk him into just taking it out of the setting and putting a few prongs but he wanted to me let him polish it up and level out the bezel to see how it looks.

Yes, this is the ring they had for 3 months or over. I have to say, though, that when my jeweller first saw the ring and the garnet, he was very uncomfortable about setting it. He mentioned that due to the garnet not cut in the typical cushion style, it''s going to be vey hard to bezel into the setting. That is why it was sent out to his friend to do the job.

After having the ring for so long, I was expecting it to look like the WF ring I got...WRONG!

Will, he tried to make it look better and I think it does as long as I don''t look closely at it. It is what it is, I guess. At least it''s wearable now. Not my favorite ring and eventually I think I will reset it into a pendant (with prongs). I''m just afraid that there is somekind of damage under the bezel.

Some new pictures taken this morning...

xbad ring 014.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock

bad ring 015.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock

bad ring 016.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock

bad ring 020.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock

bad ring 017.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Handshot...not too close

bad ring 019.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I just want to tell you all how much I appreciate your support and your caring!!

bad ring 018.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks very nice in your second and third photos. I can see what you mean about the bezel not being perfect in that first photo. I''m so so sorry! Please try to enjoy your ring.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks so much better... no, it may not be perfect....but at least the jeweler made it better. Great pictures as always Mochi!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
It looks a LOT better now Mochi. I''m glad he at least tried to make it right. It sort of gives the impression that the stone is floating without much metal holding it in place - it isn''t loose at all, is it?

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad your jeweler fixed it up a bit. It''s much better but I can still see uneven lines and that would bug me.
40.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
The stone seems pretty sturdy and doesn''t move at all. It''s too bad that this setting/work just doesn''t do Barry''s stone justice. It''s such a lovely stone.
15.gif

Line is uneven, but goodness, it''s much better than the way it was. I will have to live with it for now. Just won''t be purchasing any setting that requires expertise.
40.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it looks better, and so sorry for the trouble, at least it wasn''t sent out again.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
It does look better mochi, even if it''s not up to your standards. I''m nervous now, though, because I have one of those settings coming to me soon.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does look a lot better Mochi. The stone is a beautiful color. I am so sorry that happened to you. I am glad your jeweler was able to polish it out though.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
it looks so much better now!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is terrible
6.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is absolutely lovely however. I hope it''s okay underneath!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is still uneven but at least I don’t see any open gaps. I know that even for prong setting, my jeweller had trouble with my spessartite because of the fancy precision cutting. He could not find a suitable flat surface to place the prongs. Ditto about concern that there might be damage under the bezel portion of the ring.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, it definitely looks much better! I'm sorry this is keeping you from enjoying your beautiful ring. try to keep in mind that the casual observer doesn't analyse our jewlery the way we do. Flaws in our jewelry jump out at us, but people will see this ring from a distance and not notice. Let's not forget how gorgeous this stone is (garnets are a fav of mine) and how lovely the contrast is with those sparkly white diamonds. In fact, it's one of the prettiest garnets I've ever seen. It's a gorgeous ring, I really hope you will be able to focus on the beautiful aspects of it. As for the stone being damaged, look at it this way: what's done is done, worrying and fretting won't change anything, so try not to focus on it. I really hope you can get used to it, I love your ring.

PrincessPeach

Rough_Rock
The setting looks soooo much better now! The stone is gorgeous by the way!
1.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
That is a breathtakingly awesome garnet.
30.gif
30.gif
I don''t think I would notice the setting at all with a stone like that.

Please enjoy your ring.

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Its just wearable now if you are a perfectionist about the finishing like me.
The stone is so lovely that even smallest bad job will be more pronounced.
People will not notice from distance that bad finishing after that nice tweak,but,unfortunately,you can not take your finger(so the ring)more than 2 feet from your eyes.Its very unfortunate.The guy should tell you before that he is not experienced with such art jobs,rather sending it to such friend.Surely,you should look for a good setter for your next one.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How awful. I am sorry that happened to you. The ring is a beauty and I am glad they fixed their sloppy work.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does look better but I can understand how it would bug you. I''m so sorry he couldn''t fix it all the way!

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Your ring looks much better now, but I understand you are still not 100% happy with it. The stone is amazing, though.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks better, and I love seeing that stone in there, but it feels like you''re so irked over the setting that you won''t enjoy it like you want because of the prospect of hidden damage. I feel the same way about one of my settings, and it''s a shame because the ring just sits in my jewelry armoire, not coming out to say hi very much.

I hope that you can enjoy it more now that the bezel is fixed!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results