shape
carat
color
clarity

BAD experience with LOGR

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/11/2010 11:55:59 AM
Author: DistinctionJewelry
My guess would be that you''re seeing white gold solder, not evidence of plating.
Hi can you kindly elaborate? TIA

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Well, when you attach a head or do any other soldering on a piece, you have to choose what kind of solder to use. White gold solder will be white, yellow gold solder gold, etc. When you heat the piece with your torch, the solder (which has a lower melting temperature than the metal in your ring) melts and "flows". Essentially it melts and absorbs into the expanded crystal structure of the surrounding, heated metals.

It is very easy for some of that melted solder to run onto surrounding parts of a piece of jewelry. Now, if you''re soldering yellow to yellow, and the amount is very small, it might not be visible. However, if you''re soldering two different colors of metal, any excess solder that flows onto the opposite colored metal will be very noticeable if they don''t polish it away in finishing.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chic I'm with Jessi on this one.

I have a two tone ring (rose gold head and white shank) and it does look "odd" where joined from the side and it's definitely not plated (see photo below).

In terms of the diamonds - the problem with LOGR is that some of their settings appear to have really nice diamonds before upgrading (such as the Legacy type settings), others, and in my opinion it's the ones he sells cheaper, can have dire diamonds! I bought a double halo ring from him and it was truly awful (I hadn't upgraded) but I sent it back and got the refund straight away. In the same parcel was another ring without upgraded diamonds that was gorgeous but it was one of his more pricier rings.

Here are some examples. This was a ring that was at his cheaper end. I didn't upgrade and the diamonds were awful. This one went back.
IMG_1013_1.JPG

This is a Legacy and the diamonds weren't upgraded. I was very happy with this.
Umbalite%20Garnet%20LOGR%20on%20hand_1.JPG

This is another that didn't have upgraded diamonds. Some of the diamonds are a bit bleurgh but they're mostly very nice and the ring, overall, is white and sparkly.
LOGR%20on%20hand_1_1.JPG

This isn't an LOGR but this is the one with the Rose Gold head and White Gold shank. If you look closely at the side of the shank (top left) where it joins the white, can you see that it looks plated? It's not but it definitely has that "look".

Hope that's helped.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/12/2010 10:39:47 AM
Author: DistinctionJewelry
Well, when you attach a head or do any other soldering on a piece, you have to choose what kind of solder to use. White gold solder will be white, yellow gold solder gold, etc. When you heat the piece with your torch, the solder (which has a lower melting temperature than the metal in your ring) melts and ''flows''. Essentially it melts and absorbs into the expanded crystal structure of the surrounding, heated metals.

It is very easy for some of that melted solder to run onto surrounding parts of a piece of jewelry. Now, if you''re soldering yellow to yellow, and the amount is very small, it might not be visible. However, if you''re soldering two different colors of metal, any excess solder that flows onto the opposite colored metal will be very noticeable if they don''t polish it away in finishing.
Hi LovingDiamonds and DistinctionJewerly for your replies!
I really appreciate all the photos you have attached LD!
Yes I do understand what you mean, but I am quite certain that its plated, some parts on the prongs reveal the white gold base as well. Anyway, I had returned it for a excahnge to a one tone white gold:) Thanks alot for you heplfyul advises!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results