shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Names

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2005 3:54:36 PM
Author: lilyinct
I used to work in Labor and Delivery in an inner city hospital....and here are some of the names that have stuck in my head over the years...and they are no joke:

Meconium (the woman liked the way it sounded) In case you don''t know what it is, it is baby poop which is floating in the

amniotic fluid- which the baby could aspirate

Urine (pronounced your-inney) A woman read that off her flow sheet and apparently, liked it a lot.

Boya and Boyb A woman gave birth to twin boys, and thought we had named the babies for her- (Boy A and Boy B)- and the

names stuck

You have GOT to be kidding?!! that''s crazy!

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
nope. dead serious. wish i was joking.

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
nope. dead serious. wish i was kidding!

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
didn''t think that last one went through, sorry for the repetion

icekid

Ideal_Rock
hahaha, i love this thread. People sure do interesting things
1.gif

treysar- I know a Garren and I think it''s a great name!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
A woman gave birth to twin boys, and thought we had named the babies for her- (Boy A and Boy B)
That''s ridiculous!!!

Here on PS we have intelligent women going after their masters and Phds and here''s a woman who thinks the hospital named her son Boyb for her!
32.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
My sister swears that she went to school with a girl named Saphyllis. Maybe her mother had Sy-phyllis and thought it sounded nice.
14.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2005 8:04:36 AM
Author: AGBF

Date: 10/3/2005 7:56:30 AM
I do not know if it is the same book (I think not) that a character names her children, ''Dacron'' and, ''Rayon'' and so forth because she cannot think up names and looks at the labels of her clothing. That book is by the author of Kinflicks. I do not recall her name or the name of the book.

I had to look it up. The book is Bedrock by Lisa Alther.

Deborah
I wonder if she did it on purpose then...her little girl is in 6th grade this year. She also has a son Ares, and one named something that started with a P but he was older I never meet him....

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I told my grandmother about this thread (she worked as a teacher for more then 30 years...) and she started shooting all sorts of names at me. None of which I think I could spell. I wish people would consider how much a name can affect how a child is percived even before they are meet.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Here is a sub catagory to this subjuect. WHY IN THE WORLD do people insist on spelling their childrens names (traditional names) in the most ridiculous ways. For example.. when I was growing up.. we spelled the name like this MEGAN.... well, my EX sister in law (mind you she is an idiot anyway) had a daughter and spelled it Meghaenn.. and pronouced it Megan. Now there is also a woman I know Who named her child Kriztoffer as in Christopher... it is absoultley assinine.. IMO.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
my cousin named her son Canen only it''s spelled

Khaeynon

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
There''s been a discussion like this on a British web site lately, where teachers were saying that the kids in their class with "traditional" names like Sophie or Thomas were usually well-behaved, while the kids with the freaky names like K-Tee were usually psychotic little monsters.

Some parents of freaky-named children found the site and were outraged at this prejudice, but I bet it is true in most cases.

My favorite from the site was the pair of brothers called Gyaike and Gniall. I spent half a day trying to work out what "Gyaike" was supposed to be. It''s a perfectly normal name, spelled stupidly.

Go on, have a guess. Competition time
19.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2005 5:28:53 PM
Author: cinnabar
There''s been a discussion like this on a British web site lately, where teachers were saying that the kids in their class with ''traditional'' names like Sophie or Thomas were usually well-behaved, while the kids with the freaky names like K-Tee were usually psychotic little monsters.

Some parents of freaky-named children found the site and were outraged at this prejudice, but I bet it is true in most cases.

My favorite from the site was the pair of brothers called Gyaike and Gniall. I spent half a day trying to work out what ''Gyaike'' was supposed to be. It''s a perfectly normal name, spelled stupidly.

19.gif

Jake?

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
JAke?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
There''s been a discussion like this on a British web site lately, where teachers were saying that the kids in their class with ''traditional'' names like Sophie or Thomas were usually well-behaved, while the kids with the freaky names like K-Tee were usually psychotic little monsters.

My favorite from the site was the pair of brothers called Gyaike and Gniall. I spent half a day trying to work out what ''Gyaike'' was supposed to be. It''s a perfectly normal name, spelled stupidly.

19.gif
jake and neil?

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/3/2005 5:30:38 PM
Author: jcrow

19.gif

Jake?

Yep. Darn, that was fast!
I was trying to say it "Guy-achey" or "Goo-yah-ike". And because the brother had a silent G, like in gnome, I even tried "Yike". Poor kid is going to have to eyes rolled at him for his whole life.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i know - could u imagine have to correct everyone the first time they see your name- for the rest of your life??

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/3/2005 5:31:40 PM
Author: belle

19.gif
jake and neil?

Oh, I never thought about the other brother, I couldn''t get over how insane Gyaike was. I don''t know about Gniall, because both Neil (pron, "neel") and Niall (pron. ny-ull) are fairly common and it could be either.

My father used to tell a story about a man he once knew who was a registrar for births, marriages and deaths. One day (this was in the 1960s) a couple wanted to call their new baby girl "Gorilla". He couldn''t talk them out of it, but because they weren''t too good at readin'' and writin'', he put "Corilla" on the birth certificate in the hope of saving the girl at least some embarrassment.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/2/2005 7:22:02 PM

Date: 10/2/2005 2:41:48 PM
Author: tanuki
She thinks that when people have plain, traditional names they give their children strange ones because they didn''t like having a boring name.

She may be right...now. But I had TWO great grandfathers named, ''John'' and TWO great grandmothers named, ''Mary''. One set named their eldest daughter, ''Mary'' and their eldest son, ''John''. The other set picked ''Ann'' for the oldest girl and ''George'' for the only boy. Both sets had a, ''Helen'' among their daughters, though. They were probably too tired to think up new names in those days!

Deborah
My first name is very unusual- Reannan Renee..... I LOVED it growing up- no one could pronounce it though they made it very uncomfortable so I just went with Renee. I wish that I would have stayed with Reannan ( Ree Ann An) I miss it.

My husband and I have chosen our names already- you will have to wait for the unveiling when they pop out....until then I can just say that they are very different but great.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i knew a girl in Highschool with the same name. She spelled it differently. I think Rheannon? No that wasn''t it. But close...

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
I would never give a child a weird name (or an oddly spelled version of a normal one) just to make them "different". I''d rather give them a nice ordinary name and then when they get older they can decide for themselves whether they prefer to be ordinary or different, and if they choose to be different they can dye their hair green or dress like Bjork - but at least then it''s their decision.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2005 4:57:30 PM
Author: MINE!!
Here is a sub catagory to this subjuect. WHY IN THE WORLD do people insist on spelling their childrens names (traditional names) in the most ridiculous ways. For example.. when I was growing up.. we spelled the name like this MEGAN....

Sometimes people spell names in the way that their ethnic group does. Our next door neighbors in Connecticut were Irish. They spelled their children's name (pronounced Sive and Killian) in the Irish way: Sadhbh and Cillian. They were not US citizens, though, and returned to Ireland after five years in the US. I thought that "Meaghan" was the traditional way to spell the name that sounds like, "May-gun" and is sometimes written, "Megan".

Deb

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

We were invited to my husband’s coworker’s house for a party to celebrate “princess’s highschool graduation”. She was his youngest daughter, and his pride and joy. On the day of the party, I realized that we didn’t know her name, and we had to write it on her card, so I asked my husband to call his co-worker, and ask him how to spell her name. Well, my husband came back to me with this incredulous look on his face….and said:

“It’s spelled P-R-I-N-C-E-S-S!!!”

We had no idea that his daughter’s name was actually Princess!!!! We always though he called her that because it was his baby girl.

I had a co-worker named Kim Chi (like the Korean pickled cabbage dish)

I also had another co-worker named Phuc……poor guy.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2005 6:06:50 PM
I would never give a child a weird name (or an oddly spelled version of a normal one) just to make them ''different''. I''d rather give them a nice ordinary name and then when they get older they can decide for themselves whether they prefer to be ordinary or different, and if they choose to be different they can dye their hair green or dress like Bjork - but at least then it''s their decision.
My poor son Jayson....he''s never going to find a keychain/license plate/coffee mug with his spelling.....but it''s so appropriate! My husband''s name is Jay, and he''s our firstborn son, so we wanted to name him after my husband, but I was vehemently opposed to Jay Jr. so I said how about Jay''s son....Jayson. I think it''s become a fairly common alternate spelling. Maybe one day there will be souveniers with his name.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2005 6:09:28 PM

Date: 10/3/2005 4:57:30 PM

Here is a sub catagory to this subjuect. WHY IN THE WORLD do people insist on spelling their childrens names (traditional names) in the most ridiculous ways. For example.. when I was growing up.. we spelled the name like this MEGAN....

Sometimes people spell names in the way that their ethnic group does. Our next door neighbors in Connecticut were Irish. They spelled their children''s name (pronounced Sive and Killian) in the Irish way: Sadhbh and Cillian. They were not US citizens, though, and returned to Ireland after five years in the US. I thought that ''Meaghan'' was the traditional way to spell the name that sounds like, ''May-gun'' and is sometimes written, ''Megan''.

Deb

I am quite aware that people spell names according to the ethnic groups.. I believe this is pretty common knowledge.. however, this was obviously not my point.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I know what you meant MINE. My daughter has a little girl in her class named Dessteneigh, pronounced like Destiny.

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/3/2005 7:19:46 PM
Author: jaysonsmom
Date: 10/3/2005 6:06:50 PM

I would never give a child a weird name (or an oddly spelled version of a normal one) just to make them ''different''. I''d rather give them a nice ordinary name and then when they get older they can decide for themselves whether they prefer to be ordinary or different, and if they choose to be different they can dye their hair green or dress like Bjork - but at least then it''s their decision.

My poor son Jayson....he''s never going to find a keychain/license plate/coffee mug with his spelling.....but it''s so appropriate! My husband''s name is Jay, and he''s our firstborn son, so we wanted to name him after my husband, but I was vehemently opposed to Jay Jr. so I said how about Jay''s son....Jayson. I think it''s become a fairly common alternate spelling. Maybe one day there will be souveniers with his name.

Sorry there Jayson''s Mom, but your son''s name isn''t nearly weird enough to qualify
1.gif

In order to join the Parents Who Give Kids Weird Names or Spell ''Em Funny Club, it would have to be Jae-Sun at the very least.

Do people who give their kids freaky names also give their pets freaky names, or does the parent of Wigwam Oojimaflip call their dog Sam and their cat Sooty?

Some friends of mine moved house and their new neighbors kindly sent them a welcome bouquet. My friends sent a thank-you note, signed "from John, Jane, Susie, Billy and Major Smith". Major was their Labrador. The neighbors were all embarrassed when they eventually found out it wasn''t the name of my friend''s elderly father, who used to help out in the yard at weekends. They''d call over the fence, "Good morning, Major!" and the old gentleman thought it was odd because the dog was inside, asleep in his basket.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2005 7:38:22 PM
I am quite aware that people spell names according to the ethnic groups.. I believe this is pretty common knowledge.. however, this was obviously not my point.

Well...it wasn't obvious to me, since you said you disliked it when others used a spelling for Meaghan/Megan different from "M-E-G-A-N".

People use, "Katelynn" now for "Caitlin", just as they use "Megan" for "Meaghan", but that doesn't make Katelynn the only traditional version of the name! In fact, "Katelynn" is NOT the "traditional" form of the name just as "Megan" is not.

You just happened to grow up when people were using, "Megan" for "Meaghan" and "Katelynn" for "Caitlin".

Deb

IndieQueen001

Rough_Rock
I was filling a prescription at work one day and looked at a coworker and said "Oh my god!!! Someone actually named their child Tequila!!!" She stared me down and said "yes.. that''s my daughter''s prescription..." Open mouth and insert foot...
emembarrassed.gif

The name Tequila mentioned earlier reminded me of that.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
My mother was going to name me Jade when I was born, but it didn''t flow with the rest of my name so she changed her mind. It''s not really a weird name, but not common from what I''ve seen. I ended getting named Jennifer, which I hate. Everywhere I go there''s at least 5 Jennifers. I would''ve loved Jade better.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results