shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Names

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondPrincess

Rough_Rock
I named my daughter (now 14) Amarah. I actually heard it during the 1st Gulf War. It is in Iraq. People I know from the country told me it is the most beautiful part of the region and some believe it to be the site of the Garden of Eden. I further researched the name and found it to mean ''Eternal Life''. She always complained about the ''no keychain'' thing but when they studied Iraq in school and she realized she was named after the town she was like ''Thanks alot''. Not exactly a ''getting beat up at recess'' kind of name but not exactly beyond teasing either. I think it suits her because she is unique and an ''old soul'' type of person. A few years ago I was waitressing and a group of Shriners came in and they were named the ''Amara''s'' no h at the end but they were so kind they each gave me a pin with the name on it to give to my daughter. She was beyond thrilled. Now she has somethine besides a map and a news report with her name on it
1.gif

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to the world, Zeke!

I have no idea how I missed this thread the first time through, but I have to names to share. I had a teacher in high school whose first and middle names were Clymer Downer. His last name was normal.

But, my favorite, by far... I know a woman who was substitute teaching and was confronted with a roster containing the name Shith-ead, without the hyphen!
6.gif
Apparently, it was pronounced Shith-heed. The woman I know read it differently....
40.gif
Woops.

Munchkin

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2005 3:51:24 PM
Author: MelissaSue
Treysar - I don''t think Garren is ''beat me up on the playground'' at all. I think it sounds like someone who would DO the beating up. :) Is that better or worse? I have never heard of that name.. but I like it!
LOL I liked Aidan and Brady but bf says "aidan and brady will be beat up by mikey, joey and johnny" lol

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
and there is some sports player named Simian (I dont follow sports so I dont know who he is) but Simian tends to mean "monkey" in science talk as far as things like "simian flu" or "simian virus 40" go...I''m sure it sounds lovely to his mother, but who wants to really name thier child monkey?!??!?! If you pick a unique name, check ALL languages to make sure it doesnt mean something wierd in another language...and check the dictionary too, for that matter

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2006 6:23:03 PM
Author: Munchkin

I have no idea how I missed this thread the first time through, but I have to names to share. I had a teacher in high school whose first and middle names were Clymer Downer. His last name was normal.

But, my favorite, by far... I know a woman who was substitute teaching and was confronted with a roster containing the name Shith-ead, without the hyphen!
6.gif
Apparently, it was pronounced Shith-heed. The woman I know read it differently....
40.gif
Woops.

Munchkin
Hmm.. All these way off the wall names.. Shitheead, Female, NoSmoking.. its funny..everyone says they know someone who has encountered them.. A co-worker of mine who''s mother is a school principal and also has several aunts who teach has told me all of these names as well.. but that supposedly they came from her mother/aunts students.. I can''t REALLY believe that there are multiple occurences of these... I''m starting to believe that they are urban legends among teachers/nurses..

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t realize this thread was still around! Total fun...Well, I remember some girls in school had interesting names--Cookie(her real name, not a nickname), Spring, Summer, and January to name a few. Boys seemed to have more normal sounding names with the exception of a Fletcher, Tanner, or Taryn, which can also be used as a girl name I feel.

I agree people need to be careful when choosing names for their kids. I named my second daughter "Lynzee" and spelled it differently but I also saw it spelled that way somewhere else way before she was born. Of course, she couldn''t find barrettes, pencils or keychains with her correct spelling and was upset with me. The regular spelling that is more common is Lindsay or Lindsey, which just didn''t suit her. Now, she likes her name the way it is and is glad to be a tad unique amongst a sea of the usual spelling.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Very cool thread...had to contribute. I have to admit I get a tad frustrated when people think Cym is a funky spelling for Kim, as it is pronounced "sim". There is also a grammatical rule similar to "i" before "e" that goes "C" followed by "e, i or y" is pronounced as a soft "c" as in celery. Mom was a teacher for 37+ years so she ought to know. Yes, I've spent my entire life correcting and/or defending either the pronunciation or spelling, yes I got teased for it, putting things on hold over the phone or giving a name for your "coffee" at Starbucks is a nightmare, but all toll I really like my name, it's unique, simple and I receive many compliments. I've even had 3 expectant couples ask to name their daughers after me.
9.gif

Mom tacked on the -Brie (Cym-Brie apologies to those hating hyphens) as I got older because she felt the name was too adrogynous. I too belong to the no keychain club but had three really cool experiences finding my name in print. In Shakespeare's Cymbeline (yes where mom got the spelling) the king's lines are abreiviated to Cym. Many European countries have letters for their country code (e.g. Switzerland is CH) there is a small province in Wales called Cymru (pronounced ironically, "Kimri" I think it's gaelic) their stickers are abreviated to CYM found that one at a novelty store can't tell you how exciting that was and yes I'm a complete dork for that
37.gif
. And a dear friend after hearing my plight custom ordered a mini-license plate for me with my name on it like the ones you could send in for on the Honeycomb cereal boxes during the 80's.

Funny story this above mentioned friend worked at B of A one summer he had a manager there...Dick Munch. He tried to call the guy Richard because he felt akward but apparently this gentleman became miffed and insisted that people MUST NOT call him Richard or Mr. Munch but by his full, given name Dick Munch. LOL

Almost forgot congrats to mingagreen, welcome to the world Zeke!
35.gif

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Speaking of Richard. I know of a urologist by the name of Richard Chopp.
31.gif

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
There was a politician in New Hampshire who''s name was Dick Swett... so horrible! Call yourself Richard for goodness sake!

I had a classmate in elementary school named Earthling. Why anyone would do that to their child is beyond me.

Also, there is a politico here in NY named Nicholas Nicholas. Now really, why is that necessary!?

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/3/2006 10:52:26 PM
Author: MelissaSue

Date: 1/3/2006 6:23:03 PM
Author: Munchkin

6.gif
40.gif
Woops.

Munchkin
Hmm.. All these way off the wall names.. Shitheead, Female, NoSmoking.. its funny..everyone says they know someone who has encountered them.. A co-worker of mine who's mother is a school principal and also has several aunts who teach has told me all of these names as well.. but that supposedly they came from her mother/aunts students.. I can't REALLY believe that there are multiple occurences of these... I'm starting to believe that they are urban legends among teachers/nurses..
Melissa you're right. Most of these I've seen in various emails over the years. It's amazing how it's always someone's aunt or cousin that knows them, not the person themselves, very typical for urban legends. Anyway, check this link for more: http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.htm

I check snopes all the time because apparently most people don't and they pass all kinds of "stories" in email.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Dick Swett- thats a good one!
9.gif

Ms.Kat

Rough_Rock
Someone I work with spells her name Jhennia, but pronounces it Jenna...very bizarre!

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
My aunt''s a teacher and she told me about some students she once had. Their last name was "Day".

The kids names were Rainy and Sunny.

Some Texas governor named his daughter "Ima" and their last name was "Hogg"....
20.gif

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2006 9:54:15 PM
Author: Morticia
My aunt''s a teacher and she told me about some students she once had. Their last name was ''Day''.

The kids names were Rainy and Sunny.

Some Texas governor named his daughter ''Ima'' and their last name was ''Hogg''....
20.gif
That one (Ima Hogg) is true and it''s on the snopes web page I postedl

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s one for you and it''s no urban legend I can assure you. I had some patients (little girls) named Diamond and Sapphire. Their grandmother had legal custody and told me they were named as a way of continuing a family tradition. Her name was Ruby. I had some elderly patients with the last name Corns. They were driven over one day by their daughter-in-law who also had an appointment. I went to the waiting room and called "Mrs. Corns" to which both women looked at me and said "which one?" I was wanting the elder one whose name was Athelea (which I wasn''t sure how to pronounce) so I just said "Mrs. A Corns" ACORNS! I don''t know why that struck me as funny but I started giggling. The daughter-in-law noticed and said "well guess what? My name is Candace but you can call me CANDY CORNS"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results