shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Dyer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I was browsing through John Dyer''s catalogue, which I often do, and I noticed some of his gemstones marked "Baby Dyer."

Does anyone know what that means?

link to catalogue

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll make a guess....

Most of them appear to be smaller and the ones that are a bit larger are in a less expensive material like quartz.

Maybe they have a baby price tag.... relatively speaking of course!
3.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, that would be nice!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never looked through his catalog before, and now . . . I''m drooling.

Since he won''t sell directly, what''s the best way to obtain his work? When he says wholesale only, I''m assuming I''d need to find a specific jeweler who buys from him on a regular basis? Or . . . for instance, I''m talking to Gary Dutton about a piece from Pala . . . would he be able to do it?

I know Dyer means bigger pricetag, I''m prepared.
1.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Contact Richard Wise. I think the pricing is fairly reasonable, considering he is using very good rough. Not to mention that you'd be buying a piece of art!

article that includes some prices

He has a range of prices for his beautiful stones.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/18/2009 3:26:41 PM
Author: Jelly
Contact Richard Wise. I think the pricing is fairly reasonable, considering he is using very good rough. Not to mention that you''d be buying a piece of art!

Thanks Jelly, that was v.helpful. Especially the article with prices . . . those aren''t painful like I was thinking they''d be! Now . . . is the problem of NOT inquiring about, oh, 20 beauties in that catalog all at once. Hehe.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Haha, I know what you mean. I haven''t purchased one yet, but I did ask Richard for prices on about a dozen of them. Any particular ones that you have your eye on?

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/18/2009 3:37:26 PM
Haha, I know what you mean. I haven''t purchased one yet, but I did ask Richard for prices on about a dozen of them. Any particular ones that you have your eye on?

Goodness, I can''t narrow it down yet . . . I''m on page 28 and the catalog just keeps on going!

I think I''m going to have to go back to the beginning and use the snipping tool to save each gem that catches my eye. THEN maybe I could sort through and narrow down . . . amethysts and aquas and garnets and tourmalines, oh my!

If you asked about 12, and didn''t get your head bitten off, then I''ll consider that a safe number to inquire too. LOL

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Contact Richard Wise. I think the pricing is fairly reasonable, considering he is using very good rough. Not to mention that you''d be buying a piece of art!

I should not have looked at that! Now I''m more tempted than ever
31.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe Wink Jones should be able to get them for you as well. I know John Dyer has a list of jewellers you can contact and purchase through them. I agree with Kunzite that "Baby Dyer" appears to be smaller stones (by his standards) and also less expensive material.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/18/2009 4:06:34 PM
Author: Chrono
I believe Wink Jones should be able to get them for you as well. I know John Dyer has a list of jewellers you can contact and purchase through them. I agree with Kunzite that ''Baby Dyer'' appears to be smaller stones (by his standards) and also less expensive material.

Great, thanks too, Chrono!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Maybe they were cut by his daughter. He said she sometimes cuts stones. But you're probably right about the size thing.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Oh! Gosh I must be thinking of another stone cutter.
ETA : Dery maybe? I know one of those guys has a teenager that is learning to cut gems.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Sorry for the tangent - but what in the world is that ugly, olive green tourmaline doing in that article? It is even more absurd since it is more expensive than many of the Dyer beauties. If I was going to spend $640 right now, I would much rather have 2 of the Dyer ZigZag tourmalines shown.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/18/2009 5:37:57 PM
Author: innerkitten
Oh! Gosh I must be thinking of another stone cutter.
ETA : Dery maybe? I know one of those guys has a teenager that is learning to cut gems.
Yes, you''re thinking of Roger - Link

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe John is still quite young and only recently engaged.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2009 5:44:15 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain

Sorry for the tangent - but what in the world is that ugly, olive green tourmaline doing in that article? It is even more absurd since it is more expensive than many of the Dyer beauties. If I was going to spend $640 right now, I would much rather have 2 of the Dyer ZigZag tourmalines shown.
That tourmaline is NOT one of John Dyer''s gems...just to be clear. :)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WELL I really really like all of the stuff John Dyer has cut. Just lovely. Now I've just got to go off and search for his catalog!

Not that I enjoy being tempted or anything.
11.gif

ETA: Ah I think I've browsed his catty before but I didn't know how much the stones would be, which always puts me off. And one of those "BABY Dyers" is over 13 cts! LOL

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Hi guys, I wrote to John and inquired about the "Baby Dyer" stones. Here''s his response:

"Baby Dyers" are a specific price category (relatively low priced), all of them are under a specific wholesale price. A customer of ours came up with the name and we thought it was cute.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
works for me!

had to quit looking at the catalog.....sigh.

mz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results