shape
carat
color
clarity

B&M Experiences in SW Michigan - Long

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Billyba36

Rough_Rock
Okay, well I''ve known for a while that I was going to eventually propose to my girlfriend, so I started semi-educating myself about diamonds about 3 months ago. Initially I was interested in Asscher style diamonds from what I''d seen at like BlueNile and other "big" online diamond sellers. In an attempt to just look at one in person, I visited several local jewelry stores. Hilarious yet somewhat offensive experiences resulted. I went to Jared in Grand Rapids. I asked the saleslady to see some Asscher style diamonds. She proceeds to inform me that Asscher cuts were simply princess cut diamonds with the corners "snipped off". Well, I knew that was wrong, but I played dumb and looked at the radiant cut stones she had to show me. They were of modest quality and way overpriced. IGI certs...whatever. Then I looked at some emerald cuts and left. Oh, before I could leave she insisted that I give her my name and number in case something new came in that was more like what I was looking for. I gave her my law school roommate''s name and number, and she''s been relentlessly hounding him ever since. So, at least I have that to chalk up the half hour I wasted in there.

Next, I went to this place called "Premier Diamond Center" in Battle Creek. They have billboards plastered all over the main expressways in SW Michigan. They also have a gazillion radio ads, no unlike Jared, proclaiming that they have the best selection and best prices around. Again, I asked to see Asscher style diamonds. Well, they did indeed know what an Asscher was (or at least didn''t take me for an idiot in an effort to sell me something I wasn''t looking for), but they only had two in the store. One about .70 ct and another about 1.7 ct. The smaller one was decent looking, but had an EGL Int''l cert that I was leery of and the larger one had a huge ugly looking inclusion right square in the middle of it. I could plainly see it with my very poor unaided eyesight, and the salesperson kept telling me I was nuts because it was an I1, and that there''s no way that those inclusions could be seen with the un-aided eye. Before I left I asked her why I should buy from her rather than online. She said it was because I could trust that what they were selling me was what they represented because I can see the diamonds and the certs right there in the store and that I can have my jewelry "serviced" by them better. I left.

Finally, I was referred to Alfieri Jewelers in Portage, a family-owned independent jewelry store that my two bosses recommended (they each blow a small fortune in there annually). I was impressed with their service and selection, knowledge, and most importantly - straighforwardness, but the price was just unjustifiable in my mind.

So, I resigned myself to purchasing a diamond engagement ring online. It''s a total leap of faith making this kind of purchase online, sight-unseen (for the most part), based solely upon websites, message board testimonials, etc. Waht this did was just give me additional time to research at my own pace, learn as much about it and these online retailers as I could, and look at a nearly endless variety of settings and styles. Oh, and I figured out that my girlfriend doesn''t even like step cuts and would prefer a round diamond. Imagine that. I just thought I''d put a little note in here about my somewhat sad and pointless B&M diamond search. I''m scared of buying online, but for quality and value, I don''t think I''ll regret it.

My brother spent $5k for a 1ct. K SI1 in a standard platinum cathedral setting at a local B&M. I''m looking at spending about that (okay like $5.5k) for a .9-1.0 ct. H SI1 Ideal H&A in a G&A 14kt tension setting. I think the end product will tell as to who got the better deal and better looking rock. I mean, I can''t let my baby brother outdo me on this can I?
11.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Billy,

You went to Battle Creek! Great! You missed the BEST store! Even though I live nowhere close to Battlecreek, I bought my beautiful ring from Pearlman''s Jewelers in Battle Creek, Michigan. They are wonderful! You can read about my experience in this link ! You are very lucky to be able to meet Bill Pearlman in person. He is awesome. My diamond is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen!!!!!

Anyways, you can visit his website before you go down there. www.pearlmansjewelers.com . Again, the BEST experience I have ever had!!!!!

Happy Holidays!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
forloveofdiamonds---Did you get your stone through Pearlmans too? I am interested in getting the same Michael B setting that you have but with a radiant...

I didn''t realize that Pearlmans was in Battle Creek Michigan. This is just as close to me as the Chicago vendor I was considering. Thanks for the info
26.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Islandsdream:

I did get my stone from Pearlman''s as well!! They were a DREAM to work with!!!!!!!!! ABSOLUTE DREAM!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results