shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rocketman

Rough_Rock

Hey all,

I am new to this forum and have learned so much from searching through this forum.

Now, to my question. I found an Asscher diamond and just wanted the forums opinion on whether or not it''s a keeper. Here are the specs:

Style: Square Emerald Cut
Weight: 1.01 ct
Depth: 72%
Table: 56%
Girdle: Thick
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Clarity: VS2
Color: G
Fluorescence: None

Crown Angle: 51.6 deg
Crown Height: 19.6%
Pavil Depth: 47.4%

I''ve attached a picture too.

Thanks for your help!

Asscher_101GVS2.jpg

rocketman

Rough_Rock
Here''s a larger picture for more detail.

Asscher_101GVS2_large.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!
9.gif

How does ''picture pefect'' sound?

diamondgirlNY

Rough_Rock
gorgeous....
question, in this picture is that an inclusion at around the 7:00 position? looks like a little crystal that reflects.

rocketman

Rough_Rock
Yes, I checked the diagram and that is in fact a crystal at that location. Do you think it would be visible without magnification? I was a bit concerned about that, but if it won''t be noticeable...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2006 4:48:03 PM
Author: rocketman
Yes, I checked the diagram and that is in fact a crystal at that location. Do you think it would be visible without magnification? I was a bit concerned about that, but if it won''t be noticeable...

Seen that two... but even if it reflects in the picture... I wouldn''t bet I''d find it distracting in real life. More likely not, being so small and not black.

You can take a look at this stone before it is set, right ? It may be worth the shipping and small hassle. After all, there will not be many more opportunities to look at this little wonder loose
3.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
kicken, id buy it
its a little deep but its kicken looking which makes up for it.
yummy

rocketman

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the comments. I decided to go for it and have it shipped out. I should get it sometime tomorrow so I''ll get to look at it before I have it set. Hopefully it looks as good in hand as it does in the pictures. I''ll be sure to keep you posted!

Rocketman

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are the MM measurements?

rocketman

Rough_Rock
According to the GIA report:

5.58 x 5.43 x 3.91

And on the Megascope Cut Analysis Report, it is:

5.46 x 5.60 x 3.89

Thoughts on these numbers?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2006 10:42:25 PM
Author: rocketman
According to the GIA report:

5.58 x 5.43 x 3.91

And on the Megascope Cut Analysis Report, it is:

5.46 x 5.60 x 3.89

Thoughts on these numbers?

Its technicaly just a hair off square but it didnt throw the pattern off.
I didnt notice it on the first look even on the blown up images because it didnt.
It will look eye-square.
Still good to go :}
Id buy it, go by your eyes when you get it :}

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bet it will be gorgeous. Good luck tomorrow. Storm helped me pick out mine and it''s kickin as well.
2.gif

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Wow...beautiful
30.gif
30.gif

The more I see these awesome asschers the more of a fan I''m becoming!
Good luck :)

aaftabj

Rough_Rock
I''m a little confused... the stone looks great, and perhaps IS great, but if you don''t post the price, how can anyone advise you to get it? If I could show a D ideal cut flawless round diamond, of any number of carats and say, "what do you think of this stone, should I buy it?" It may be a great stone, but I would want someone to say, "yes, it''s worth the money" or "it''s a great stone, but you can get the same quality from this other reputable vendor, for a better price."

Right? I mean, if the stone had problems with it, someone with expertise can point them out to you, but what if it is a nice stone but overpriced?

Just my two bits :)

rocketman

Rough_Rock
Yeah, you are absolutely right. I guess I should have posted the price to give you a better overall picture. The stone was $4900. Does this seem high? Well, I guess it''s too late anyways. I just got it this morning and took a look at it...it''s amazing! I think it''s a keeper.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
that looks like an amazing stone!
3.gif

can you post more pics?
20.gif

aaftabj

Rough_Rock
Hmm, if that was a good cut, I would say it is a decent price. But I think that it is too high.
If you go to this pricescope link, you can class the cut of your stone. Unfortunately your stone rates as a class 3B, a U.S. domestic average cut. That''s just above the "below average cut"

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc2.asp

I am not an expert, but I recently bought a 1.03 H VS1 Asscher using this table to help me decide on the cut. Mine conformed to a Class 1B except for a low crown height (which isn''t on the GIA report, needed a Sarin for that). But, it cost me $600 less than yours, and I''m happy with it.

You say the stone looks good, and apparently asschers need to be seen in person, but if you don''t have a better cut asscher on hand to compare it with, how will you know? Get an independent appraisal, if you can, before you set the stone. Don''t be afraid to spend $150 to appraise, be sure, before spending $5000 for the whole stone. Ask the appraiser, before hand, if he has seen a lot of square emeralds, and can give you a personal opinion, as opposed to just a price. Like, can he say, "this doesn''t conform to the ideal cut table but I''ve seen other great asschers and this is good compared to them."

Remember, you are the customer, you are in charge. If you are charged to look at the stone, people are counting on your instinct to not lose $50, and it may make you more inclined to lose more $$ by buying a less good stone.

If you do an online search with a reputable vendor, you can specify ideal cut, and then compare their definition of an ideal cut with this table. Many of them will let you buy the stone with a credit card and have a 30 day money back guarantee... that way, you wont even have cash out of hand. Return stone, card charge is reversed before the money is due! The vendor will lose money anytime they send you an ''ideal/premium cut'' stone that isn''t great.

If you prefer a local store, theystill shouldn''t charge you to bring a good stone in, but I don''t know if they will allow an independent appraisal.

Good luck.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
pictures trump AGS charts its a kicken asscher.
A low crown under 10% is a bigger problem with an asscher than anything with this one.
The price seems good to me

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 11:26:30 AM
Author: aaftabj
If you go to this pricescope link, you can class the cut of your stone. Unfortunately your stone rates as a class 3B, a U.S. domestic average cut. That''s just above the ''below average cut''
Just from a cursory glance at that chart, IMHO, IT DOES NOT WORK FOR ASSCHERS. Many of the best, finest, most expensive Asschers have small tables & this chart (made for EMERALD cuts not SQUARE EMERALD/ASSCHER specifically) takes AWAY points for small table.

There is NO WAY that stone is a class 3B ... Strmdr would roll over under his desk & pass out if that was the case.

Backup? Anyone? Backup?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 11:34:34 AM
Author: decodelighted
Date: 3/17/2006 11:26:30 AM

If you go to this pricescope link, you can class the cut of your stone. Unfortunately your stone rates as a class 3B, a U.S. domestic average cut. That's just above the 'below average cut'

Just from a cursory glance at that chart, IMHO, IT DOES NOT WORK FOR ASSCHERS. Many of the best, finest, most expensive Asschers have small tables & this chart (made for EMERALD cuts not SQUARE EMERALD/ASSCHER specifically) takes AWAY points for small table.

There is NO WAY that stone is a class 3B ... Strmdr would roll over under his desk & pass out if that was the case.

Backup? Anyone? Backup?

true that :}

just checked the price and for the specs its well priced notice there is a large range of prices and the ones with smaller tables and better sym/polish go for a slight premium this one fits right in.

aaftabj

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 11:30:46 AM
Author: strmrdr
A low crown unser 10% is a bigger problem with an asscher than anything with this one.
I defer to the experts. I would like to be educated though... the picture looks great, but is it enough to tell you about the light return, flashes, etc? Or do you need an ideal scope or just to look at it in person?

I guess, as a non-expert, I had to rely on the chart, and the appraisal... Perhaps one day I will be able to just look at a stone and know :)

I''m glad that your stone is a great one. Good luck with the setting, etc!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 11:40:19 AM
Date: 3/17/2006 11:30:46 AM

Author: strmrdr

A low crown unser 10% is a bigger problem with an asscher than anything with this one.

I defer to the experts. I would like to be educated though... the picture looks great, but is it enough to tell you about the light return, flashes, etc? Or do you need an ideal scope or just to look at it in person?

I guess, as a non-expert, I had to rely on the chart, and the appraisal... Perhaps one day I will be able to just look at a stone and know :)

I'm glad that your stone is a great one. Good luck with the setting, etc!

yep its enough combined with the crown height number to prove to me its a kicken asscher.
80+ consumers have proven that and counting :}

edit: off to work for me, and yea I was being a smart a$$ with this answer :}

good catch decodelighted, i didnt click the link to look at the charts.
Pictures trump numbers.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t think there was any standardized cut grades for asschers. I think even if there was it would miss a lot of good ones and maybe reward some that aren''t the best. I am looking for a similar asscher to your and I am having a very had time trying to find a good one! I wouldn''t let that one go, because it would take a lot of work and time and frustration to find one that nice for too much cheaper. I think you did a good job! I second the request for more pictures too!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
charts..schmarts...

THAT is a smashing asscher!
18.gif

rocketman

Rough_Rock
Indecisive: I know what you mean. It took me forever to find this one. I''ve looked at many different asschers at various local jewelers and just didn''t see one that looked great and were reasonably priced. Then, I stumbled upon this one and had to snatch it up.

I''ll post some pictures when I get it set.

aaftabj: I''ve got a Gemex Brilliancescope report coming in a day or two. I''ll post it for you if you are curious.

rocketman

Rough_Rock
Haven''t been able to take any pictures of it yet, I couldn''t get my camera set up right to take any good ones.

By the way, Kaleigh, I''m getting my ring done at Quest, and I''ve talked to the Tain brothers there. They mentioned your ring, because the one I am getting done looks similar to yours. I hadn''t looked through pricescope enough so I hadn''t seen pictures of your ring. But I sifted through the forum and found your pics and the ring looks beautiful! I''ve heard good things about Quest through PS, but I was still a little worried about how mine would turn out, but after seeing the pics of yours...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
How does it look to you in person?
Does it sing to you?
What was your first reaction/feeling/thought when you saw it?

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
when you first see the asscher, it must make you motionless.....the beauty of it must stun you....then, you''ll know it''s your diamond.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2006 11:40:19 AM

Yeah... and the AGA tables I believe you refere to for the ''3B'' name, do not catch that either.

Anyway, rejecting a good looking diamond for the sake of a grading system that does not guarantee good looks sounds a bit odd.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
If Storm''s saying kicken you know you have a winner. Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results