shape
carat
color
clarity

Asheville recommendations for JCrow

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
JCrow, I posted this in the NC GTG thread but didn't know if you would see it.
Maybe other people have ideas for you too! Enjoy your trip!!!!

My post from other thread:

Well, here is a slideshow and within it the link to the NY Times article.
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2007/09/30/travel/20070930_HOURS_SLIDESHOW_11.html
They should have some great recommendations for you.

How long do you have? If you have two days, here is what I would do - spend one day at the Biltmore, see the house, gardens, winery, and walk the trails. Bring some bottled water and snacks because what they have for sale there is really overpriced. I think there is a 5 star restaurant on the property but I haven't been. There is an excellent Mexican restaurant (casual) in Biltmore Village.

On the other day I would explore downtown Asheville. It's a pretty crunchy, artsy kind of place. You can pop into boutiques and art galleries and easily fill the day. Some good places I've eaten are the Early Girl Eatery, Laughing Seed (which is vegetarian),um.... will have to ask DH if he remembers where else is good, I have a horrible memory of names. There were a couple neat antique jewelry stores and one big jewelry store (family owned) that sold a ton of great designer stuff, fun for looking. There was a great coffee and dessert place open late near the Renaissance hotel. There is an old fashioned soda fountain in the Woolworths building (I think). The rest of the building is devoted to local artists. There is a famous chocolate truffle place... the Blue Spiral art gallery is great.... another good jewelry store called Jewels that Dance near Pack square... I'll add more as I think of them!

If you have a third day, I'd plan an outdoor day or canoeing, rafting, kayaking, or hiking in the mountains. I haven't actually done this in Asheville so I can't recommend an outdoor adventure company, but I am sure there are some. The Mast General Store in downtown Asheville is a great store for outdoorsey stuff and could probably recommend trips or may even organize some themselves.

Another thing to do if you have time is the Grove Park Inn. It is a very famous hotel and resort. They have a spa that's supposed to be fantastic. Even if you don't have time for the spa, you can at least get a drink at the hotel bar and sit outside and enjoy the view. They have live music from time to time also.

Do you have your hotel already? My favorite place to stay is the Renaissance. Walk to downtown, very clean and nice, and not too expensive. The Biltmore hotel and the Grove Park Inn are the famous fancy places to stay, and I think there are some nice B&Bs too although I haven't been.

You should get great weather this time of year... I hope it is a wonderful trip! Report back and let me know what you think!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
oh thank you thank you thank you!!

we basically have 2 days - sat & sun to explore the city. is the downtown area open on sunday? i was wondering if it would be better see downtown sat & biltmore sun or vice versa.

yes we already have a hotel, but thanks for the recommendations. i''ll save the info in case we visit there again.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
oh JCrow, Asheville is my favorite place in the world. I could literally pass days and days walking around downtown. There is an awesome shoe place, and a great bookstore. I wish I were better with names to recommend some good food, but I am terrible about names!! Enjoy and take some pics!!!!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 9:58:25 AM
Author: jcrow

we basically have 2 days - sat & sun to explore the city. is the downtown area open on sunday? i was wondering if it would be better see downtown sat & biltmore sun or vice versa.

yes we already have a hotel, but thanks for the recommendations. i'll save the info in case we visit there again.

Jcrow,
You are so welcome! I think the downtown will be more lively on Saturday. The Biltmore should be open (and maybe less crowded) on Sunday, but you should double check w/ them. That's how I'd do it if it were me.

The cool independent bookstore is called Malaprops. They have a good coffee shop too. I love Asheville and can't wait to go back. After your trip, will you let me know your favorites from the trip (restaurants, hotel if you like yours)? I am sure I'll go back before long and always like learning of new places to check out!

ETA there is a pizza place that is supposed to be really good... I haven't been to it, can't think of the name either.... bummer!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 12:07:58 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Oooh, my girlfriend lives in Ashville. Its SO BEAUTIFUL. Lucky, lucky!!!! We so want to visit there!!!

And.. on another note, while I don''t eat at McD''s, they just had a show on the most unique McD''s in the world and there is a GORGEOUS McD''s that is fashioned after the Biltmore.. its SO COOL. It would be worth just going in to see it. LOL

you know? i saw that McD too on tv. i didn''t even make the connection till you mentioned it! we''ll have to at least pop in there :)

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 11:07:59 AM
Author: TanDogMom

yes we already have a hotel, but thanks for the recommendations. i''ll save the info in case we visit there again.
Jcrow,

You are so welcome! I think the downtown will be more lively on Saturday. The Biltmore should be open (and maybe less crowded) on Sunday, but you should double check w/ them. That''s how I''d do it if it were me.

The cool independent bookstore is called Malaprops. They have a good coffee shop too. I love Asheville and can''t wait to go back. After your trip, will you let me know your favorites from the trip (restaurants, hotel if you like yours)? I am sure I''ll go back before long and always like learning of new places to check out!

ETA there is a pizza place that is supposed to be really good... I haven''t been to it, can''t think of the name either.... bummer!

yeh, that''s what i was thinking. most downtown area''s in smaller towns are closed up on sunday. i''ll check to see if the biltmore is open on sunday.

the tupelo honey cafe was recommended, so we''ll probably eat a meal there.

as far as hotel, it''s going to be a cheapy. we''re doing a ton of traveling, so i think we''ll make this a quick and inexpensive trip. but fun, of course! i love experiencing new places!
36.gif

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
style="WIDTH: 98.27%; HEIGHT: 416px">Date: 6/19/2008 11:07:59 AM

Jcrow,
You are so welcome! I think the downtown will be more lively on Saturday. The Biltmore should be open (and maybe less crowded) on Sunday, but you should double check w/ them. That''s how I''d do it if it were me.

The cool independent bookstore is called Malaprops. They have a good coffee shop too. I love Asheville and can''t wait to go back. After your trip, will you let me know your favorites from the trip (restaurants, hotel if you like yours)? I am sure I''ll go back before long and always like learning of new places to check out!

ETA there is a pizza place that is supposed to be really good... I haven''t been to it, can''t think of the name either.... bummer!
Is it the pizza place you''re thinking of the Mellow Mushroom ? If it''s not I''d still suggest tryiing it. It''s in downtown Asheville and it''s a favorite of ours.

Another good resturaunt (especially for brunch)the Tupelo Honey Cafe. We ate there the morning after our wedding and it was fantastic... like comfort food with a flair. There''s usually a wait though so get there early. There are so many great places to eat in Asheville (one reason we go so much... we live about an hour and a half away) that you may also want to just walk around the downtown and check out the menus.

As for things to do, you can seriously spend an entire day just wandering around downtown but you could also easily spend 2 days at Biltmore Estate. You''ll have no trouble filling up 2 days.

Forgive me if I''ve missed it somewhere but when are you going? Asheville has a great festival (Bele Chere) that''ll be held the weekend of 7/25. We''ve been a few times and it''s always fun if you like that sort of thing.

TanDogMom - You did a great job listing some of Asheville''s attractions (I''m also terrible with names but I can picture where you''re talking about). The Renissance is where we spent our wedding night... got a great deal on it (Priceline name your own price $70 ).... it was great and much less expensive than Biltmore Inn. I''ve also heard great things about the Richmond Hill Inn but a friend and I did afternoon tea there a few months ago and found them to be a little on the stuffy side (they take themselves WAY too seriously and took all the enjoyment out of the experience). I''ve heard afternoon tea at the Biltmore is fabulous.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Bele Chere is so fun! I was also thinking about that. And Malaprops that TDM mentioned is the bookstore I was talking about...their little cafe has good food as well.

I forgot to comment-Saturday would be a lot better for downtown browsing. I spent some Sundays there and seem to remember there being less going on, but that was a few years ago so I could be wrong.

Mellow Mushroom is pretty good, but it is a chain in the Southeast, so if you want to go local try somewhere else. However, if you never get to the SE try it, their crust is amazing!

I will try and think of some other things around there for you...

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hi! Mmm, pizza - yum. I''ve been to a number of the Mellow Mushroom locations and it is pretty good, but that actually isn''t the one I am thinking of - someone told me there is a famous place just in Asheville but I can''t think of the name. Oh well, there are a ton of other good places to eat!

We ate at Tupelo Honey also and really enjoyed it!

OK we are all living vicariously through your trip JCrow!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
OH! Major thing I forgot! Go for a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway! It was built by the WPA (during the WW II time period I think) and is a wonderful, famous road spanning much of the NC mountains. The speed limit is low and the views are spectacular. There are spots to stop and take a picture and have a picnic if you like.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
jcrow, you are so lucky! Asheville is at the top of my must see list. Definitely go to the Grove Park Inn; I would be absolutely fascinated by the architecture/decor of the Arts & Crafts period.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
TanDogMom - thank you sooo much for starting this thread!!!
thanks also for the rec. to go drive the blue ridge pkwy. we''ll be driving to asheville so we''ll have a car.

applequeen - we are for sure going to tupelo honey cafe. thanks for the info on getting there early. good to know!
we are going next weekend. totally a last minute trip but we are super excited!!
we looked into the renaissance, but it was a bit more than we wanted to spend. i''ll check priceline though. thanks for that tip as well.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
HollyS - thanks for the rec on the inn. we''ll stop by there too
5.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 10:09:49 AM
Author: Miscka
oh JCrow, Asheville is my favorite place in the world. I could literally pass days and days walking around downtown. There is an awesome shoe place, and a great bookstore. I wish I were better with names to recommend some good food, but I am terrible about names!! Enjoy and take some pics!!!!

i will definitely take pics!!
9.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 2:36:20 PM

thanks also for the rec. to go drive the blue ridge pkwy. we''ll be driving to asheville so we''ll have a car.

applequeen - we are for sure going to tupelo honey cafe. thanks for the info on getting there early. good to know!

we are going next weekend. totally a last minute trip but we are super excited!!

we looked into the renaissance, but it was a bit more than we wanted to spend. i''ll check priceline though. thanks for that tip as well.

You are so welcome! Now I am looking at the calendar thinking about when I can get back to Asheville.
Again a hearty recommendation for the Renaissance (especially if you can find it cheap!) It was very reasonable when we stayed there last but it was winter, so the off season.

Regardless of where you stay, there is so much to do you will probably not be at the hotel much, so it makes sense not to splurge on the room! I think we''ve also stayed at a Holiday Inn and Comfort Inn several years back and both were fine as well.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 2:42:20 PM

You are so welcome! Now I am looking at the calendar thinking about when I can get back to Asheville.
Again a hearty recommendation for the Renaissance (especially if you can find it cheap!) It was very reasonable when we stayed there last but it was winter, so the off season.
Regardless of where you stay, there is so much to do you will probably not be at the hotel much, so it makes sense not to splurge on the room! I think we''ve also stayed at a Holiday Inn and Comfort Inn several years back and both were fine as well.

exactly, we''re barely going to be in our room, so it''s really not a priority.
5.gif

applequeen

Shiny_Rock

Try the "name your own price" option. I''m pretty sure Asheville only has 2 3star options (highest available for Asheville on Priceline) so you''re bound to get one of them if your bid is accepted. The Renaissance is one (like I mentioned before we got it for $70) and the other is the Crowne Plaza (we got that for $60 on another trip). The Crowne is a little further out (you''d have to drive to downtown but it''s not far) and the Renaissance is downtown so you could walk to everything.

Is Asheville part of a larger driving trip or just a quick weekend getaway? If it''s part of a larger trip where else are you planning to visit?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 2:48:44 PM
Author: applequeen

Try the ''name your own price'' option. I''m pretty sure Asheville only has 2 3star options (highest available for Asheville on Priceline) so you''re bound to get one of them if your bid is accepted. The Renaissance is one (like I mentioned before we got it for $70) and the other is the Crowne Plaza (we got that for $60 on another trip). The Crowne is a little further out (you''d have to drive to downtown but it''s not far) and the Renaissance is downtown so you could walk to everything.

Is Asheville part of a larger driving trip or just a quick weekend getaway? If it''s part of a larger trip where else are you planning to visit?

just asheville
2.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for starting this, TanDogMom! Haha, it's been a while since I've been to Asheville, and now I'm thinking it would be a great little surprise getaway for BF and I later this summer. *thinks sneaky thoughts*

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
k- several have mentioned priceline. i''ve been terrified of the whole negotiate thing.
is there any commitment? or can you negotiate and back out if you don''t get the deal you want?? how does priceline work?

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
To do the name your own price you have to enter your card # in order to place your bid so if it''s accepted you''ve bought the room. One thing I usually do is check the hotels they''re listing (There are 4 currently listed as 3 star in Asheville... Renaissance, Crowne Plaza, Sheraton, and Doubletree). I''d check those listings out and if you''re happy with the possiblity of staying at any of them then go ahead and place a bid you''re comfortable with. They range in price from $170-$209 and I usually bid around 60% or so. Going down to 2 star makes the choices less exclusive but as long as you''re not too picky you should still be OK. I''m a bit of a control freak so it always freaks me out a little to do the name your own price thing since you don''t actually get to choose where you get to stay (you can pick the general area/ part of town) but it''s always worked out pretty good for me and with the great deals you can sometimes get it''s usually a good trade.

Whatever you do.... DO NOT stay at the Days Inn that''s downtown... seriously that place gives me the creeps.

**** Another thing to know about the "name your own price" is that you don''t get to pick the room type (double, king, etc) but I''ve always been able to call the hotel after my bid was accepted and request the room type we needed... it''s never been a problem. You should also keep in mind that soon after booking through priceline the cost is charged to your card... I think you can still cancel but you don''t actually pay anything to the hotel when you check in/ check out.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 4:32:17 PM
Author: applequeen
To do the name your own price you have to enter your card # in order to place your bid so if it''s accepted you''ve bought the room. One thing I usually do is check the hotels they''re listing (There are 4 currently listed as 3 star in Asheville... Renaissance, Crowne Plaza, Sheraton, and Doubletree). I''d check those listings out and if you''re happy with the possiblity of staying at any of them then go ahead and place a bid you''re comfortable with. They range in price from $170-$209 and I usually bid around 60% or so. Going down to 2 star makes the choices less exclusive but as long as you''re not too picky you should still be OK. I''m a bit of a control freak so it always freaks me out a little to do the name your own price thing since you don''t actually get to choose where you get to stay (you can pick the general area/ part of town) but it''s always worked out pretty good for me and with the great deals you can sometimes get it''s usually a good trade.

Whatever you do.... DO NOT stay at the Days Inn that''s downtown... seriously that place gives me the creeps.

**** Another thing to know about the ''name your own price'' is that you don''t get to pick the room type (double, king, etc) but I''ve always been able to call the hotel after my bid was accepted and request the room type we needed... it''s never been a problem. You should also keep in mind that soon after booking through priceline the cost is charged to your card... I think you can still cancel but you don''t actually pay anything to the hotel when you check in/ check out.

very very helpful info! thank you. i''m a total control freak as well. eeks.
how did you find out which hotels were listed as 3 star on their site? it''s probably right in front of my face...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about at Bed and Breakfast? We stayed at a B&B one night and it was so romantic. They have lots of them in Asheville. They had bikes we could ride and they served a wonderful breakfast. Also, a lovely porch to rock on rocking chairs.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
cool. thanks. my window was totally different. but i''m sure i''ll figure it out next time.
thanks for the info, we may go the priceline route.
5.gif

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Good luck! I''m sure you''ll find a great place to stay and I know you''ll enjoy your trip!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
omg! thank you soo much applequeen!
i just booked THE hotel i wanted that runs $200ish. we pricelined it for $85.
eeeeeks!!! so excited!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
That is so cool! When you get back, give us a review of your trip!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 8:10:09 PM
That is so cool! When you get back, give us a review of your trip!!

will do
9.gif

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 7:26:50 PM
omg! thank you soo much applequeen!
i just booked THE hotel i wanted that runs $200ish. we pricelined it for $85.
eeeeeks!!! so excited!
That''s fantastic!!!!
36.gif
I''ve had a lot of luck with priceline for hotel rooms and plane tickets and I''m glad it worked out for you. I feel sort of like William Shatner in the Priceline commercials
1.gif

Did you call the hotel to make sure you can get the room type you want? Usually if you call early enough they have no problem getting you into a room that fits your needs.

I really hope you enjoy your trip. Asheville is a great place, especially in the summer. I told my husband last night that we needed a getaway.... we''ve been renovating our new house for the past month and have to move into it by the middle of next week. It''s been very stressful and we both need a break. Maybe a quick trip to Asheville is just what we need.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results