shape
carat
color
clarity

Are hearts, marquise and pears passe''?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Kay and Machick--both of your rings are SPECTACULAR!!
36.gif
36.gif

Someday I will definitely get a marquise!

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I like pudgy pears! but i''m not biased no not me!!!
3.gif

trinity911

Shiny_Rock
I think preference of shape is also culturally-based. I remember speaking to a jeweller in Miami who said that he couldn''t sell pears for love nor money in South East Asia because customers thought they looked like teardrops and were therefore unlucky. He said he had an amazing E IF pear that he had recut to take a small chunk out to make a heart and it sold that day in Japan as there''s more of a market for heart shapes there.

On a personal note, I used to have a marquise (returned to my ex - I miss the stone more than I do the man!) with side baguettes that I loved and never thought of as being 80s (not my decade!). The only thing is, it kept catching on things and I was paranoid about it chipping. Now I''m in the market for an oval (watch this space...hopefully in the next couple of months!!! Wooooo!!!) after considering an asscher... I just think elongated shapes suit me better.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
When I was a very little girl, my dream ring was a marquise; I thought there was nothing more beautiful or dramatic.

Then I grew up and decided I didn''t like them, or pears so much either.

Now I am getting wisdom and find that I do like these cuts very much. I completly adore the Tiffany Victoria line, especially this one:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP00230&mcat=148204&cid=287466&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+287466-r+101323340+101323354-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

Adore that thing. I am also trying to get together a design to turn my 1.29 princess into a pendant and and borrowing heavily from the Victoria line in the process. The very talented Art Nouveau made some beautiful drawings and ideas using marquise stones for my pendant.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lumpkin I loooove that milgrained bezel on that pear ring you posted.
30.gif

I often think it would be nice to have a superideal cut round with all its cut perfection and that jazz...but I like the uniqueness and grace of a pear and every time I see someone else wearing one, it''s like a have a laser homing device or something - I can pick them out from any distance. They just appeal to me.

Whether they are passe or not, I don''t know. But if people think so, then heck, more for me.
9.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
I personally am fond of all good clarity and colored, well-cut diamonds, so no discrimination here! I think it really all depends on the stone and how it is set. I initially thought there was NO way I would end up with a 2+ carat stone of my own, so I thought a marquise might be the way to get a little more finger bang for Rusty''s buck, but since we found a round that was more than I could have ever hoped for, it wasn''t an issue, but I had no predetermined shape in mind...I was open to round, radiant, asscher, cushion, marquise, oval, etc... The only one I knew was that I didn''t want was a princess as all of my friends have them and two more of them want them, and I like to be a little different from those around me.
28.gif

My mom has a gorgeously HUGE marquise (looks like it''s about 3 carats) and a beautifully LARGE oval (looks about 2 carats) and they are both stunning, though I''m not overly fond of the settings she has them in, all of which are in yellow gold. She feels white gold is trendy and will fade out, which I remind her that all of my grandparents jewels were in white, and I think white gold is a perfectly classic look which shows off MY diamond (not hers!) to the best of its potential.
31.gif

She also has a smaller marquise and oval (both over a carat each and fantastic quality like the two bigger ones) set very similarly to the above two stones, and she wears them as pinky rings next to the larger versions, which drives me completely batty! All four rings on at the same time makes it look like the large ones gave birth to baby ones of the same family of rings! She got all of these rings in the early to mid-90''s over a period of about 4-5 years. They are all set on bands with gobs of diamonds, most of them channel set princess cut stones totaling more carats than I can count!
25.gif

I will have to try to get some pictures of these rings to share with you all here, but I don''t know that she''d like for me to share them online, so I''ll have to see what she says. Needless to say, she thinks my round stone set in white gold is "trendy" and will go out of style soon if that tells you anything.
38.gif

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s pretty marquise ring...

der_07_4.jpg

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
_______

marquise_pave_set.jpg

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2008 8:44:32 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Lumpkin I loooove that milgrained bezel on that pear ring you posted.
30.gif

I often think it would be nice to have a superideal cut round with all its cut perfection and that jazz...but I like the uniqueness and grace of a pear and every time I see someone else wearing one, it''s like a have a laser homing device or something - I can pick them out from any distance. They just appeal to me.

Whether they are passe or not, I don''t know. But if people think so, then heck, more for me.
9.gif

I know, isn''t that pretty! I would have bought it but it was like a size 5? Couldn''t be sized up enough for me, so I saved the picture so I could still "own" it.

Sometimes I still miss my pear. I would still trade it, but I wish I could have had both (but, I''m not greedy, LOL). I wish it hadn''t been quite so tinted so I could have found a setting I liked for it.

Kaitebug

Rough_Rock
I think that a well cut good stone is attractive in any shape. Just recently, on my latest diamond hunting trip, I found an enourmous 5 carat marquise that was a warm yellow and an IF! It was the most stunning thing I had ever seen! Also, my best friend has a heart shaped e-ring and it is about 1/2 a carat but, it has the most amazing sparkle and character to it. I didn''t think I would like it, but that stone proved me wrong on the hearts! It has so much attitdue that you see it from across the room. So, I think it doesn''t matter which shape you have, if the stone is a dog!
2.gif

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
I love how this thread has changed from a dicussion about passe'' cuts to a show me the most beautiful marquis/pears ever cut!

Ninama, where did you get the second pic??? I have a marquis that I have been wanting to reset forever and I think that may be the ring for me. I love the bezel (althought it may be a tad thick) and I adore the wide split shank. Do you have more pics? Is there a website with similar rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results