shape
carat
color
clarity

Are hearts, marquise and pears passe''?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
I think that pears and marquise look best in larger carat weights. The smaller marquise cuts might call to mind the 80''s trends but a big one will just knock your socks off. I''ve seen some spectacular 5+ pears and marquise that I aspire to! Someday....
2.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all diamonds
30.gif
I know where I am from most people I know do have round stones, I got my princess about 5 years ago and back then they werent as popular as they are now, thats why I wanted one, I still love the square design. I had a ring wrap, which I notice is very popluar now, mine is very pretty, but I really hated it, it just made my solataire just look bad and then it damaged my prongs because I didnt want to solder them together, I am glad I now longer "have" to wear it (my husband bought it and I felt like I had to wear it to make him happy)_

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I think Marquis and Pear are pretty classic shapes, honestly. My mom has a 7-stone marquis anniversary ring that is quite pretty and doesn''t seem like it just walked out of the 80''s. Around here (midwest), it''s almost all princesses, radiants and round brilliants - I have yet to see an Asscher on someone''s hand in real life, and I''ve only seen an EC on another person a couple of times. I never see pears out in a case in a jewelery store, but I don''t think pears are outdated at all - the ones on PS are absolutely stunning.

Hearts... I know only one person with a heart cut e-ring. Even in a solitaire setting, it just doesn''t look right...too cutesey to say "real commitment."

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if it was ever "in fashion", chances are someday it will be "out of fashion". Twenty years from now they''ll be saying that princesses and asschers are dated. Personally, I like any shape. I like some shapes more than others of course, everyone has different tastes. I do like heart shaped stones. I''ve seen them done as sidestones and it was unique. I don''t think cutesy, I just like hearts in general for jewellery. I don''t care what others think about my choices. Nor do I seek to be unique or have something no one else has. Just not me.

I have never been fond of marquise stones, but my daughter gets tons of compliments on her turquoise marquise ring. Virtually everywhere we go, someone will notice it and comment while ignoring my 1.77 RB diamond. Whatever!
41.gif

I love pears. I''d have a pear in any size actually. It''s a new thing for me. Must have come from PS somehow!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Here's a vampy marquise I tried on for fun while out setting shopping. Please excuse the unfinished crazy prongs.
I love this marquise! I'd either do it like this--or east west in a different setting. Perhaps this will be a(someday)contender after I get an emerald cut(next on my list)I realize I just love diamonds...Period...
31.gif

marquise121.jpg

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/18/2008 7:22:43 PM
Author: coatimundi
Here''s a vampy marquise I tried on for fun while out setting shopping. Please excuse the unfinished crazy prongs.
I love this marquise! I''d either do it like this--or east west in a different setting. Perhaps this will be a(someday)contender after I get an emerald cut(next on my list)I realize I just love diamonds...Period...
31.gif
This is beautiful...this makes me want a marquise!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes,, this one above is what I''m talking about! What''s not to like?????????

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
oooooh! Diamond Dana and MotownMama--I really want this ring! (your comments are enabling me!
27.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel in the minority amongst all of you asscher/RB/princess/EC lovers, because I love love LOVE ovals. And no one else seems to like them, they don''t carry them in the maul stores, and I rarely see one on here compared to the other shapes.

However I think that the hearts are pretty juvenile and best suited to promise rings, if you will (I don''t think any PSers have any hearts...), I don''t really mind the marquis if it''s not so long and skinny, and I actually really like the pears in the right settings (I
30.gif
JCJDs pear, and I''m going to make a replica of it with some colored stones some day-hope you don''t mind JCJD!!). But I''d have to agree that the marquis seems be out of style right now, but a well placed celebrity marquis e-ring might bring them back.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Marquise are becoming popular again...magizines are showing them and i have had several requests in the last 6 mionthes by young future brides for long shapes including ovals.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know a few people that have marquis cuts as their ering. I am the only person I know that has a heart shaped diamond.

I am very partial to hearts so I don't mind heart shaped stones. I actually bought a 1/2 ct. solitaire to wear as my ering but quickly decided I wanted a nicer diamond. The stone had no certs with it but it's probably HI SI. I do like the marquis cut stones if they are cut well but I like that shape better in gemstones than in diamond.

Of course my heart diamond was from a B&M and I will always remember my discussion with the sales girl trying to see if I could get a better cut heart shaped diamond from them. She kept saying the cut was heart; I said that's the shape, can I get a better cut - like ideal, excellent, very good she said the cut was a heart and I had a very nice diamond so she didn't understand why I was unhappy with it. I quickly gave up on that discussion.

Here is my heart diamond RHR ring.

hrt%20ring.JPG

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Ooo, good question. Things cycle I guess.

I really dislike marquise and quite like pears. Agree that pears are just a pretty, femine shape.

Actually, I have a friend, whose husband is a jeweler, who has a heart with an awesome pave halo and band. It''s really quite pretty and not too cutesy, believe it or not.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the Tiffany Victoria line...it is lovely. But overall think that those stones are a bit less popular now as e ring stones. I have seen hearts in necklaces though and I love them, suspended from a chain they look great.

blondie

Shiny_Rock
Now this is what I love about this site.....such interesting discussions and such knowledagble people about the girl''s best friend!!!
36.gif
Here in UK, I would say that the trends are quite similar to that of the US. Round brilliants have always and in my humble opinion will always be the most popular, due to the availability and of course, sparkle! I personally really like fancy shapes when they are a bigger stone, for example a 4 carat emerald is something I have always coveted!
31.gif
Marquise is definitely 80s although I think they can look really unique when set well. I also really quite like the heart shape. Whilst I probably wouldn''t want one as a ring, I would love some heart shaped studs
30.gif
I agree about some of the stunning pears here on PS too - gorgeous!!

I would also say that the whole Art-Deco thing is getting popular this side of the water too - not only does a halo look stunning, but also increases the all-important finger coverage! These Edwardian influenced designs are seen a lot more now, but only in the more exclusive stores here - I love the Tiffany Legacy
18.gif

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
coatimundi - If I saw that ring in real life I would stare at it in a catatonic state - it''s to die for! VERY CLASSY and HUGE too!

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
to me personally, and I''m by no means an expert or authority, LOL! Hearts are novelty cuts - "cute" but I don''t want cute forever so I''d only choose one as a pendant or as a fun right hand ring personally.
I''ve never cared too much for marquise but I love pears! Pear shape isn''t right for me as a wedding ring, but I''d love a nice 2crt pear pendant
30.gif

That rounded marquise posted on page 1 was pretty fantastic though.

md74

Rough_Rock
I agree that, like with most things, you tend to see trends in what people choose for e rings. My husband and I went looking for engagement rings (to get an idea of what I liked, but it was always to be his decision and a spontaneous proposal. Things just got to a point we knew we were thinking marriage so we went to look and try on).

I had never thought I would like a pear. I tried one on, and was surprised that I loved the way it looked on my hand. At the time, I said I would be happy with either a pear or a round. I am SO GLAD that he chose to get a pear. I LOVE my ring, and the pear really seems to be currently not so popular. I think it was popular in the 60s and 70s; his cousin has one from her engagement at that time and the couple people that I have run into that have them got them 20 or more years ago. I love the fact that I have something that feels unique and different (NOT knocking anyone with the more currently popular shapes!), and it feels like it becomes more about the beauty of the ring and the stone and less a size comparison (we live in Manhattan, and I just don''t like the extreme materialism on size that I feel occurs more with rounds here, like it''s all a size comparison/competition). My husband did say it was very hard to find a good pear, both quality and pleasing shape.

I have a friend that has a marquis in YG. Her stone is very pretty - just wouldn''t be my pick. To each their own, though, and I think it is nice to have something different.

Hearts, I personally feel, are cheesy. But, still, to each their own.

My pear is in plat. in a beautiful simple solitaire setting with a plain wb. I then have a diamond wb on my right hand. I had wanted something more ornate, but it seemed to detract from the pear beside it. We were married in the Greek Church, so I chose to wear a band on my right hand that is more ornate and the engagement ring and simple wb on the left (best of both for me! BUT I promised my husband to never upgrade:)).

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I love, love, love a pear. When DH and I were looking to upgrade my smaller pear engagement ring, I looked at other shapes and tried them on, but I just didn''t like them. We settled on a beautiful pear. If the occasion ever comes to upgrade again, it will definately be another pear.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I already posted, but I have to "edit" my post a bit - I spent half the afternoon at my local jeweler''s (a couple of projects, yay!), and OH WOW do they know how to do a marquis right. I''ve never really liked them, but they had some gorgeous pieces. They had one monster one that was in a 3-split two tone pave and yellow diamond pave setting that was to die for, but also had a band that had smaller marquis stones bezeled with round ones - GORGEOUS and several e-rings that had a marquis on a tilt - VERY pretty. From how they had "re-thought" the marquis, I think that cut is really due for a comeback!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I guess I can live with being passe, lol.
2.gif
I realize the marquise is not for everyone, but I just love the shape. I have seen a lot of scary marquises, though -- it took me nearly 5 months to find one that was icy white (D w/ med. blue fluor.) and had an excellent cut (1A).

I love pears as pendants and drop earrings. I don''t usually like them as much on rings (except as side stones) because of the asymmetry, but FG''s halo blows me away.

IMG_2660_38.JPG

MAchick

Rough_Rock
Well, since I''m very biased - you might actually be surprised at my answer.

I definately agree that the *idea* of a marquise and a heart are passe (I would say this less so for the pear shape)

I think very few girls when imagining their rings think of those shapes. And since most stores don''t carry them, very few people buy them.

However, when people see those shapes in a fantastic setting (blush - like mine, if I may be horribly non-humble) they generally say things like "I didn''t think I liked marquise, but that is really gorgeous".

In fact, I wonder if the marquis feeling passe is why the triangle-square/round-triangle became so popular. You get the e/w marquis shape without the ewwww!-marquise feeling.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kay - your ring looks beautiful!!!! Very classy. I almost think the marquise needs a new name from those thin ones in the 80''s - they just aren''t the same animal at all!!!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2008 5:47:29 PM
Author: motownmama
Kay - your ring looks beautiful!!!! Very classy. I almost think the marquise needs a new name from those thin ones in the 80''s - they just aren''t the same animal at all!!!!
Yep, and also the design of the ring makes a tremendous difference. Kay, your ring is very clean and classic with the setting you have chosen.
1.gif

Beeweaver

Shiny_Rock
I personally love my marquise as much as the day I received it over 20 years ago. I don''t really know who someone''s ring can be passe''. Rounds seem to be the most popular on this site but they do absolutely nothing for my hand. I love the shapes that elongate the fingers such as Marquise, pears, ovals, and emerald cuts. I don''t care what other people like, I know what looks best on me.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t believe this thread made it to 2 pages without mention of MAChick''s gogreous Greenlake east/west marquise. In my opinion, an amazing way to reinterpret what I feel is a classic shape, into a more modern, yet antique setting.

MAchickside1.jpg

Also, I can''t get enough of pears in delicate halos ala Fire Goddess'' gorgeous ring!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
And the requisite hand shot - so lovely.

MAchickfinger2.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2008 5:53:59 PM
Author: MC

Date: 1/20/2008 5:47:29 PM
Author: motownmama
Yep, and also the design of the ring makes a tremendous difference. Kay, your ring is very clean and classic with the setting you have chosen.
1.gif
Aww, thanks, ladies -- you guys are so sweet. It is so hard to get good pictures, so I have never posted my ring. (I must have taken 50 shots to get that one.)

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2008 7:43:07 PM
Author: Beeweaver
I personally love my marquise as much as the day I received it over 20 years ago. I don''t really know who someone''s ring can be passe''. Rounds seem to be the most popular on this site but they do absolutely nothing for my hand. I love the shapes that elongate the fingers such as Marquise, pears, ovals, and emerald cuts. I don''t care what other people like, I know what looks best on me.
Rounds don''t do anything for my hand either. I probably would have selected an oval as a second choice if I had not fallen for the marquise. I would love to see pictures of your ring.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2008 8:01:07 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I can''t believe this thread made it to 2 pages without mention of MAChick''s gogreous Greenlake east/west marquise. In my opinion, an amazing way to reinterpret what I feel is a classic shape, into a more modern, yet antique setting.
Oh, yes -- MAChick''s ring is so beautiful and unique.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kay, your set is beautiful! I love a nice and big Marquise!

MAchick, I have always admired your pretty ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results