shape
carat
color
clarity

Apparently...I lie.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 7:44:05 PM
Author: E B
I''ve gone back a bit and read another of your threads, and it seems your main issue with the Sholdt (and please, correct me if I''m wrong!) is not being able to find a wedding band you LOVE to match.

Now, please don''t hurt me, but what about considering a third option: The plain semi-bezel Sholdt with both a plain and a diamond band? That way, you have both a practical (''anywhere/time'') e-ring AND band, but you can switch it up with the diamond band for the sparkle you want...whenever.

*Runs and hides*

41.gif
Hands down the plain Sholdt is my favorite setting I have ever seen in my life! However...that''s for a diamond. If this was a diamond this would be in that setting in the blink of an eye. But in person while I loved it I felt that the plain Sholdt semi would make my stone look dull and that the other semi with the diamonds would help punch it up a little. I still feel that way. I think even if I had two diamond wedding bands that it wouldn''t really give it enough sparkle, but I''m open to hearing if others agree or disagree on that.

And I''m not sure what my fear/issue is with the Sholdt. The wedding ring thing is an issue but i don''t think is the core of my fear. But I don''t know what is.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 7:42:17 PM
Author: stepcutgirl
What if it did when you saw it and later other rings popped into your head?
Then I'd take my time to think about it.

I'm, like, the worst person ever to give advice on this particular topic.

But I do know when I saw my (future) MWM, I started crying. Not joking.

ETA: I sound like a valley girl.
3.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
For me, I would set the sapphire in the WF halo
30.gif

If it were a diamond, I would pick the plain sholdt semi bezel for sure!

I have a sapphire ering too, and I love it with the sparkle of diamonds, plus I think the wedding bands you like would look better with the halo
2.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Bella and Freke.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am going to bed as I have to be up at 4am to leave for the Bahamas. So...post away, but I won''t see them to respond to them till Sunday around midnight or maybe even Monday!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Halo. I think the solitaire would look better with a stronger stone i.e. diamond, but I like sapphire better in the halo.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was afraid to say it on your LAST "last thread ever" (re: which Sholdt) -- but I WANTED to say: forget all these & go HALO. Maybe I sensed that you really wanted a halo (after all the step cut halo talk)? Or maybe I just don''t picture your sapphire in either of those Sholdt settings. There''s something COLD about them. Modern, but COLD. And in a white metal with a blue sapphire -- I don''t know: STARK. It could veer towards masculine too.

You have delicate hands. It just seems "halo" would be more *you* -- also, I think the contrast between the sapphire and the halo would be very pretty & classic (ala Princess Diana''s ring). Its an engagement look - not just a RHR look.

But if your FFI *really* really doesn''t like halos ... ??? Gah.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock

I don''t know if this is possible, but.......

I think it would be cool if you could find a way to blend both ideas.....design a setting where the half-bezels have melee ior micropave in them instead of plain.

I don''t know if that''s possible; if not, perhaps a setting could be made to have a thin arc of melee cupping both sides of a half-bezel?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 1:29:54 PM
Author: Allison D.

I think it would be cool if you could find a way to blend both ideas.....design a setting where the half-bezels have melee ior micropave in them instead of plain.

I don''t know if that''s possible; if not, perhaps a setting could be made to have a thin arc of melee cupping both sides of a half-bezel?

Now that''s a really neat idea! Well done Alj!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Allison, kind of like this but half bezel? Brilliant, I like it!

http://www.michaelcfina.com/engagement-wedding-rings/engagement-rings/mark-patterson-platinum-crescent-ring-mounting-R781PDB.html

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 1:35:33 PM
Author: shimmer

http://www.michaelcfina.com/engagement-wedding-rings/engagement-rings/mark-patterson-platinum-crescent-ring-mounting-R781PDB.html

I love this idea! I haven''t weighed in in this round because I''m torn, too, but the Mark Patterson above is one of my favorite settings of all time. There aren''t too many bezels with melee on the bezel, but there is an old thread
here where someone is asking for the same thing. Stepcut, have you tried anything like that on? Would a half bezel set with melee need to be swoopy?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you''re interesting in a halo, make sure it''s really well done i.e. no paper-thin prongs that you could open with your fingernails, no super-lightweight constructions, no overly long prongs anywhere, make sure it doesen''t catch on clothing, that the stones are well matched (not like seven sparkly stones and five sleepy ones "sprinkled" all around the halo acting like dead spots), that prongs which hold the melee are not too big to cover like half of the stone, but not to small to let the stones fall out either etc., etc., etc. Basically, what I''m trying to say is that halos are not the best idea for a ring that''ll get worn for hours every single day. Even in well made rings, prongs can loosen and the melee can start falling out, which is not a proble if it happens rarely, but if it becomes a regular occurence...$$$

And about your indecisiveness, I think I have a good idea, cause I too find myself confused about liking things that seem very different. The key is (or at least should be) in finding what connects those different ideas, cause there''s always something. For instance, in your case, I''d say it''s a balance between curves and straight lines that draws you to these designs. You seem to gravitate towards pieces with defined, strong geometry and soft shapes (in this case round) combined together. So eventhough these two designs seem to "come from different eras", they''re actually quite visually connected, if you look at it the right way.

Hope this helps.

E B

Ideal_Rock

I don't know if this is possible, but.......

I don't know if that's possible; if not, perhaps a setting could be made to have a thin arc of melee cupping both sides of a half-bezel?

Fabulous idea!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 1:35:33 PM
Author: shimmer

Somewhat like that. That is close to what i had in mind and is one way to accomplish it, I suppose.

I was envisioning something where the arc of diamonds on each side sits higher and is positioned more flush with the girdle of the stone instead of sitting lower. Imaging the girdles of the melee sitting nearly level with the girdle of the sapphire - that's more the position I was thinking of. Then, to me, it would appear more like a diamond half-bezel look instead of diamond melee/accents that sit below the center stone.

The top down look on that link does come pretty close to the right flavor, though.
9.gif

If it's the clean lines of the half-bezel that appear to her, then perhaps she could have them channel set instead of prong set in the half-bezel position, too. That would add sparkle but preserve the clean modern lines.

I really do agree with Deco that the sapph by itself in the half-bezel seems to lack pizazz or a bit of warmth.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Greetings from Freeport! I found a computer in the lobby!

I''m not sure I''m understanding exactly what you mean Alison. That pic of the Michael F is cool. If you go to http://www.sholdtdesign.com/Rings.htm and click on the vashon line the 11th ring down may be what you are talking ablout A. I''m fairly certain this is WAY outt of my price range. But I did just shoot an email over to check.

Ma ra-I think you figured out for me why I like both styles even though they are very different and I think you are right. I''m a little leery of prong set halos for reasons like you said and since I intend to live in the ring. But they are so pretty!
2.gif

Deco-Thanks for calling my hands delicate! ha ha. I generally don''t feel that way because my ring size is a 7...yet my hands are tiny. Weird. I am a halo girl. I love them. In person though I didn''t find the Sholdt with sidestones to be masculine what so ever, but I do see your point. The problem with seeing pics of that ring online is that they look completely different from the ring in person. In person it is incredibly delicate.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a bezel set halo then, since your problem with prongs sounds like it's a security thing?

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I may go that route, I am a little fearful of it darkening more with a bezel but it would be more secure.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2010 12:45:19 PM
Greetings from Freeport! I found a computer in the lobby!

I'm not sure I'm understanding exactly what you mean Alison. That pic of the Michael F is cool. If you go to http://www.sholdtdesign.com/Rings.htm and click on the vashon line the 11th ring down may be what you are talking ablout A. I'm fairly certain this is WAY outt of my price range. But I did just shoot an email over to check.

Ma ra-I think you figured out for me why I like both styles even though they are very different and I think you are right. I'm a little leery of prong set halos for reasons like you said and since I intend to live in the ring. But they are so pretty!
2.gif

Deco-Thanks for calling my hands delicate! ha ha. I generally don't feel that way because my ring size is a 7...yet my hands are tiny. Weird. I am a halo girl. I love them. In person though I didn't find the Sholdt with sidestones to be masculine what so ever, but I do see your point. The problem with seeing pics of that ring online is that they look completely different from the ring in person. In person it is incredibly delicate.
it soooo True! from afar the ring really does look more like a solitaire, with a little shimmer if angle just right with the right lighting. Too bad all the photos I have makes the ring look a bit more bulkier than it really is. 2mm really on the shank then tapering up to 4 but face on, you don't quite see where it appears 4mm width until you turn to its side
15.gif
... awww I'll be awaiting to see what you get
36.gif
I won't have the bezel 5 point band until next week sweetie, hopefully it'll give some idea of a band in case you are still interested in the sholdt
1.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Halo halo halo!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''m anticipating the arrival of your bezel band with much excitement D&T! the Sholdt is still very much in the running for me. I''m going to call my jeweler when I get back to see if he will get a sample of this Sholdt for me to see. http://www.sholdtdesign.com/Rings.htm and click on the vashon line the 11th ring down.

I was able to see a sapphire halo today with a plain band. I really liked it.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 12:45:19 PM

I'm not sure I'm understanding exactly what you mean Alison. That pic of the Michael F is cool. If you go to http://www.sholdtdesign.com/Rings.htm and click on the vashon line the 11th ring down may be what you are talking ablout A. I'm fairly certain this is WAY outt of my price range. But I did just shoot an email over to check.

I could be wrong, but I thought Alison meant something like below. (Please excuse the 60 second paint mock-up, I don't have Photoshop on my laptop!) Pretend the white dots are diamond melee.

bezelpainteb.jpg

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
that''s a really cool idea! Thanks for giving me a visual of what she was talking about. It would be pretty neat if that could be done, but it seems like the bezel might have to be really thick to do that?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2010 4:11:35 PM
that''s a really cool idea! Thanks for giving me a visual of what she was talking about. It would be pretty neat if that could be done, but it seems like the bezel might have to be really thick to do that?
how bout a Ribbon ring? it is a semi bezel but with paves in it... I''ve seen it, Ill be right back with more pictures.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2010 3:49:31 PM
I''m anticipating the arrival of your bezel band with much excitement D&T! the Sholdt is still very much in the running for me. I''m going to call my jeweler when I get back to see if he will get a sample of this Sholdt for me to see. http://www.sholdtdesign.com/Rings.htm and click on the vashon line the 11th ring down.

I was able to see a sapphire halo today with a plain band. I really liked it.
ooh thats beautiful! speaking of which, I''ve saved this picture of another SHoldt ring (can''t remember from what site) but I think its a modify version of one of the prong set to semi bezel...

sholdtbezelgraddT111.JPG

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks RHB.

That certainly looks like the same ring I am hoping to see in person D&T. They have a very similar ring but with prongs as well.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2010 4:27:52 PM
Author: D&T
how bout a Ribbon ring? it is a semi bezel but with paves in it... I''ve seen it, Ill be right back with more pictures.
ok here is just a picture of a Tiffany Ribbon Ring, but Ive seen it out there somewhere with plain shanks- see the semi bezel but with the slight halo effect on the sides.

engagement_other_ribbon1.jpg

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ribbon rings are just ok for me.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 4:11:35 PM

No thicker than a halo, I''d imagine, but I have no idea. Might be worth an email to Lesley if you''re thinking of going custom.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
have you browse through Claude Thibaudeau''s line? just for some ideas? I like to browse through their La Cathedral section. Not sure if this will confuse you more or not...lol

http://www.creationthibaudeau.com/

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Stepcut, have you seen this one? Its Mark Schneider. Unfortunately, I can''t find a face on view...I''m not sure if the band would be up your alley, but the head might be a good example...

schneider_enamored.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results