shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone with a 6mm centre stone on a 5-ish finger?

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
It's not quite what you are after but I have a 6.2mm radiant cut diamond as my centre stone for my engagement ring. Set in a halo. I think the ring is marginally smaller than a 5, although its probably on a size 5.25 finger... The diamonds surrounding are 1 pointers and in the band they are 1.5 pointers, all bead set.

_9226.jpg

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
misskittycat said:
It's not quite what you are after but I have a 6.2mm radiant cut diamond as my centre stone for my engagement ring. Set in a halo. I think the ring is marginally smaller than a 5, although its probably on a size 5.25 finger... The diamonds surrounding are 1 pointers and in the band they are 1.5 pointers, all bead set.

misskittycat, thanks! this was precisely what I wanted, actually - do you happen to have a photo of your e-ring without the other bands? the other rings provide such a nice backdrop that I wonder if the centre bit looks larger... my wedding band is going to be a plain one so it'll prboably look different!! :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To maximize size I like what she did there of adding a bezel halo. Ritani makes a nice one I know, but other e are others too that make a fabulous thin heeled halo that just makes the stone look huge.

What's your budget for the stone and for the entire ring??

And is your wedding band plain because of religious reasons or just because you like that look? Just wondering.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I don't but I took some for you! One with the bead set pave band, one with no wedding ring and one with my wedding ring turned around (its only half eternity) so you can see the effect of a plain band.

With my ring, my husband was dead set on a plain wedding ring (because wedding rings don't have diamonds in them, according to him at the time). But when we saw it with the plain band, it just looked a bit blah.... But a plain band would work if you are going to have a halo but no pave on the shank. I'm a bit matchy matchy when it comes to bands :)

As for the bezel halo, at the time I didn't like claws and this was a Tiffany Legacy inspired ring and that was part of the appeal. But it does make the centre look bigger and that was important because radiants do face up a little smaller for their weight. I also must confess it's only 6mm across, it's 7.5mm long.

_9300.jpg

_9301.jpg

_9302.jpg

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
misskittycat|1377389075|3509299 said:
I don't but I took some for you! One with the bead set pave band, one with no wedding ring and one with my wedding ring turned around (its only half eternity) so you can see the effect of a plain band.

With my ring, my husband was dead set on a plain wedding ring (because wedding rings don't have diamonds in them, according to him at the time). But when we saw it with the plain band, it just looked a bit blah.... But a plain band would work if you are going to have a halo but no pave on the shank. I'm a bit matchy matchy when it comes to bands :)

As for the bezel halo, at the time I didn't like claws and this was a Tiffany Legacy inspired ring and that was part of the appeal. But it does make the centre look bigger and that was important because radiants do face up a little smaller for their weight. I also must confess it's only 6mm across, it's 7.5mm long.

Misskittycat, love your setting! May I ask who made it for you??!!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I have a manufacturing jeweller here in Sydney lizzyann who has made all my jewellery to date. He is fabulous. Probably no use to you if you are not a Sydneysider! His name is Dana Ball.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
Niel said:
To maximize size I like what she did there of adding a bezel halo. Ritani makes a nice one I know, but other e are others too that make a fabulous thin heeled halo that just makes the stone look huge.

What's your budget for the stone and for the entire ring??

And is your wedding band plain because of religious reasons or just because you like that look? Just wondering.

hi Niel! the current planned wedding band was chosen by my fiancee - he likes sleek designs and the cartier he picked out in rose gold was quite pretty, so I had initially planned to play along with. but now I am thinking of a custom band with diamonds on half shank, but I will likely have to see the e-ring first...

there isn't an absolute budget - but he says that whatever money that doesn't go into the ring goes into building our house, so I'd like to keep prudent..

what is a thin-heeled halo? I haven't heard of such a thing!

misskittycat said:

misskittycat, you are so kind! thank you very much - I likely will have a cushion of about 6.8mm (which is a little smaller than my ideal 8mm - but it was the best option in the stone I wanted), and your photos reassure me that it isn't going to be too small!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thin heeled is probably a typo my phone put :lol:

I just meant, a thin bezeled halo would ad a lot of size to your diamond.

I used to have a plain shank bezel halo and I wore it with a Cartier Trinity. The stone looked huge and the plain shank played well with the plain wedding band. So if you stay a plain wedding band, I think a plain shank halo would be nice with the band and with the budget.

I know you said you don't have an exact budget, but do you have a rounded amount?

Also, when you say square, is it a princess? Radiant? Step cut?

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I think she mentioned a cushion in the post above?

6.8mm is a really good size. Your stone will be a little shorter than mine but a bit fatter. So on average will be about the same. I just found a plain band without pave just disappears next to my engagement ring. I only added the alternating bezel to the stack in February so I wore it for 5 years with just my wedder and e-ring and it looked awesome. I never thought about adding an eternity until I saw this ring.

I have always liked this Ritani French set ring with a plain shank. I think it would make the centre stone really pop. And you could wear a plain band if you wanted to:

http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/6114

This setting is more like mine, except I have millgrain on my bezel:

http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/halo-micropave-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-palladium/4806

And my new favourite halo, bmgdesign's setting for Stella:

_9324.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh youre right! I didnt notice it in that one post, i was basing it of the first one.

I had that ritani posted above but with a plain shank.. i think plain shank halos look really pretty with a plain band next to it, and later on as a push present or anniversary you could get a diamond one to stack between the two!

BUT, not all cushions, IMHO, look good with a bezel... if not, this i do believe is just stuuuunnniiinnngggg AND id bet could be done for around your 2k setting budget (if i remember that was your budget from your other post right?)

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/suprise-proposal-erd-cushion-plain-split-shank-halo-created.177760/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/suprise-proposal-erd-cushion-plain-split-shank-halo-created.177760/[/URL]

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
misskittycat said:
I think she mentioned a cushion in the post above?

6.8mm is a really good size. Your stone will be a little shorter than mine but a bit fatter. So on average will be about the same. I just found a plain band without pave just disappears next to my engagement ring. I only added the alternating bezel to the stack in February so I wore it for 5 years with just my wedder and e-ring and it looked awesome. I never thought about adding an eternity until I saw this ring.

I have always liked this Ritani French set ring with a plain shank. I think it would make the centre stone really pop. And you could wear a plain band if you wanted to:

http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/6114

This setting is more like mine, except I have millgrain on my bezel:

http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/halo-micropave-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-palladium/4806

I am totally loving those two links you posted! The second one in particularly - I love the lack of a fussy gallery and how the shoulders are connected to the head.. Do you know the best place for me to purchase the setting? Is WF the best option - I am located in Singapore!

Niel said:
oh youre right! I didnt notice it in that one post, i was basing it of the first one.

I had that ritani posted above but with a plain shank.. i think plain shank halos look really pretty with a plain band next to it, and later on as a push present or anniversary you could get a diamond one to stack between the two!

BUT, not all cushions, IMHO, look good with a bezel... if not, this i do believe is just stuuuunnniiinnngggg AND id bet could be done for around your 2k setting budget (if i remember that was your budget from your other post right?)

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/suprise-proposal-erd-cushion-plain-split-shank-halo-created.177760/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/suprise-proposal-erd-cushion-plain-split-shank-halo-created.177760/[/URL]

Niel, I have a 6.8mm cushion chrysoberyl coming my way (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opinion-on-a-chrysoberyl.192741/) - do you think bezel or pave would look best? I am undecided, I like the shininess of pave but I'm not sure if it'll overwhelm my stone.. What do you think?

And I was very much hoping not to exceed a 2-3k budget, you're right! I'm contacting ERD now too - hopefully I'll hear something good!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Written by Niel:

Niel, I have a 6.8mm cushion chrysoberyl coming my way ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opinion-on-a-chrysoberyl.192741/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opinion-on-a-chrysoberyl.192741/[/URL]) - do you think bezel or pave would look best? I am undecided, I like the shininess of pave but I'm not sure if it'll overwhelm my stone.. What do you think?

And I was very much hoping not to exceed a 2-3k budget, you're right! I'm contacting ERD now too - hopefully I'll hear something good!

OH thats yours! I was looking at that thread as I am helping my future brother in law by a chrysoberyl for his girlfriends engagement ring! His budget is like 700 though, so your lucky!

As much as i LOVE that ritani with the bezel, i think as your stone would probably benifit from as much light as possible sense it a colored stone, prongs would probably be best. Plus that way you could have the prongs yellow gold. They do have a prong version of that though if im not mistaken, and if you went plain shank it should be very budget friendly.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
Niel said:
OH thats yours! I was looking at that thread as I am helping my future brother in law by a chrysoberyl for his girlfriends engagement ring! His budget is like 700 though, so your lucky!

As much as i LOVE that ritani with the bezel, i think as your stone would probably benifit from as much light as possible sense it a colored stone, prongs would probably be best. Plus that way you could have the prongs yellow gold. They do have a prong version of that though if im not mistaken, and if you went plain shank it should be very budget friendly.

I had already increased my budget for the stone to nearly 700 as well - so I think I rather lucked out (though it's also because I don't need something so neon-y, just a greenish-yellow shade and I'll be happy).

What kind of size is he looking at? I've spoken to nearly all the reputable gemcutters on PS and they all had problems locating a stone this large, with a square shape. You'd be very lucky - and have loads of money left over - if you're going for a round or trillion shape!

I did think the same about prongs letting in more light - but I'll have more thought about it. Are yellow prongs + white gold shank weird?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonyachancs|1377481786|3509747 said:
Niel said:

I had already increased my budget for the stone to nearly 700 as well - so I think I rather lucked out (though it's also because I don't need something so neon-y, just a greenish-yellow shade and I'll be happy).

What kind of size is he looking at? I've spoken to nearly all the reputable gemcutters on PS and they all had problems locating a stone this large, with a square shape. You'd be very lucky - and have loads of money left over - if you're going for a round or trillion shape!

I did think the same about prongs letting in more light - but I'll have more thought about it. Are yellow prongs + white gold shank weird?
700 for the whole thing!

I contacted Peter T, told him I was looking for a nice height chartruece in a step cut. He didn't think he had anything but apparently he bought a stone similar to what I'm looking for in hopes of recutting, so I think it sounds promising, waiting for pics from him.

No gold prongs aren't weird, Google rubies or emeralds in platinum or white gold I'm sure there's lots of pics

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
Niel said:
700 for the whole thing!

I contacted Peter T, told him I was looking for a nice height chartruece in a step cut. He didn't think he had anything but apparently he bought a stone similar to what I'm looking for in hopes of recutting, so I think it sounds promising, waiting for pics from him.

No gold prongs aren't weird, Google rubies or emeralds in platinum or white gold I'm sure there's lots of pics

wow, that's a small budget than what I set for myself, and I thought that was already tiny compared to the ones we see on PS!

Peter is so nice - he offered to cut me a 6mm Asscher chryso but it was a bit small to me - but he was lovely with all my questions and requests... Are you getting a stock setting? I just can't imagine everything fitting that budget, especially since I seem to share similar taste with your FBIL's partner, and I haven't even found a good stone yet!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results