shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone here give their children an organic diet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, thanks Pandora. That makes sense. I just wish I could somehow get super healthy kid to eat veggies. But I guess once they''re over 18 it gets kind of difficult.
2.gif
My DH is truly lactose intolerant and has immune system issues, asthma, allergies, etc.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2010 7:10:45 PM
Author: lyra
Ah, thanks Pandora. That makes sense. I just wish I could somehow get super healthy kid to eat veggies. But I guess once they''re over 18 it gets kind of difficult.
2.gif
My DH is truly lactose intolerant and has immune system issues, asthma, allergies, etc.
Mine too - also has no spleen...

Hence why I intend to breastfeed as long as possible.

So far at nearly 8 months, Daisy hasn''t had a single cold or illness yet bar the usual whingyness and fever after her first sets of shots and a mild 3 day cough. I do Baby Led Weaning and no signs of allergy there so far nor to my parents cats. So, fingers crossed we will avoid some of DH''s problems.

One thing I also do is that there is a ban on the use of disinfectants etc in my house. I want her exposed to as much as possible so I take her on public transport a lot and don''t spend my life sanitising everything.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An all organic diet would be prohibitively expensive for us. We focus on hormone free milk, try to source local (or at least US) fruits and veggies, getting organic when we can and when it''s not too expensive and meat from Whole foods. We also try to stick to seafood recommended by marine stewardship council (can''t remember what it''s called, but they have a booklet).
For us it''s about limiting exposure, not eliminating it (even if you could). My kids do like potato chips when they get them (which is not often) but believe it or not my eldest dislikes sodas, and even icing on cakes. I also reduce slightly the amount of sugar a recipe calls for, and do the 50/50 whole wheat/white flour mix.
So I don''t think my kids would necessarily go for the bad stuff when they have access to it, because to tell you the truth, real food tastes better than fast/junk food. Um, sweets are another story. We have a candy bucket that all candy is put into (from Halloween, birthday parties, etc) that is in the cabinet. If we didn''t regulate access to that they (especially our youngest) would eat candy all day long I imagine.
We spent alot on food. If something happened where we had to have a more strict budget, we would have to modify our diet
39.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 2:30:11 PM
Author: part gypsy
An all organic diet would be prohibitively expensive for us. We focus on hormone free milk, try to source local (or at least US) fruits and veggies, getting organic when we can and when it''s not too expensive and meat from Whole foods. We also try to stick to seafood recommended by marine stewardship council (can''t remember what it''s called, but they have a booklet).
For us it''s about limiting exposure, not eliminating it (even if you could). My kids do like potato chips when they get them (which is not often) but believe it or not my eldest dislikes sodas, and even icing on cakes. I also reduce slightly the amount of sugar a recipe calls for, and do the 50/50 whole wheat/white flour mix.
So I don''t think my kids would necessarily go for the bad stuff when they have access to it, because to tell you the truth, real food tastes better than fast/junk food. Um, sweets are another story. We have a candy bucket that all candy is put into (from Halloween, birthday parties, etc) that is in the cabinet. If we didn''t regulate access to that they (especially our youngest) would eat candy all day long I imagine.
We spent alot on food. If something happened where we had to have a more strict budget, we would have to modify our diet
39.gif
eh, Halloween candy! Rather than keep it around, after we get home from trick-or-treating, we put in a movie while the kids eat nearly all of it within a few hours. bleh.
14.gif
I don''t know how they manage that. They always complain about feeling sick afterward. It''s better to get it OUT of the house ASAP, I guess.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2010 2:42:37 PM
Author: MC

Date: 1/11/2010 2:30:11 PM
Author: part gypsy
39.gif
eh, Halloween candy! Rather than keep it around, after we get home from trick-or-treating, we put in a movie while the kids eat nearly all of it within a few hours. bleh.
14.gif
I don''t know how they manage that. They always complain about feeling sick afterward. It''s better to get it OUT of the house ASAP, I guess.
I can''t say there hasn''t been times where we''ve purged the candy bucket but what they don''t know won''t hurt them
11.gif
. When I was growing up pretty much the only candy we got to keep was from Halloween. Our brothers would eat all of theirs in 2 days, while my sister and I hoarded it and tried to make it last as long as possible. All out war would fall out because our brothers would steal from our bags. This way there are no fights because our kids don''t control it. It may seem extreme, but I have a bad sweet tooth and so do my kids (husband could care less about sweets).

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
We started buying organic before the twins were born, but I wouldn''t say that they''re on an only organic diet.

Nate, the peditrician mind you, used to put pepsi in Gray''s bottle when he would cry. I was livid.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Pepsi? I''m curious. Given his training, I''d imagine he had a reason for doing that, any idea what it was? My friend is a nurse and she swears by warm, flat coke for stomach upsets.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 10:46:06 AM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
Pepsi? I''m curious. Given his training, I''d imagine he had a reason for doing that, any idea what it was? My friend is a nurse and she swears by warm, flat coke for stomach upsets.
Yep, my mom use to give me coke when I had the flu. Once I tried that with my son and he threw it back up. lol

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 10:46:06 AM
Author: Mrs Mitchell

The reason? To make him stop crying, lol. Gray likes to be held and if you don''t hold him, he will wail and wail and wail. It''s gotten better, but it used to be really bad. I would try to run errands and Nate would be with them alone and he doesn''t believe in the if they cry pick them up and baby them stuff. So, his solution was Pepsi mixed with water.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results