shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone here give their children an organic diet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Just curious as to whether or not anyone here makes it a priority to give their kids and all natural/organic diet. That means no fast food, hormone free milk and proteins, antibiotic free chicken, etc.

It''s so weird but yesterday my mom asked me if I had my daughter on an all organic diet. I was like "No, not really why?" and then she pointed out that all the products I buy for her are organic (soy milk, veggies, fruit, even snacks).

I hand make a lot of her snacks, like veggie chips and cookies. But the funny thing is, I actually do that to sneak more produce into her diet because she''s getting picky!

Now that I''m aware of it, I''m definitely planning to continue. I eat mostly what she eats (we eat most meals together) but my husband is a drive thru, eats whatever kind of man, so this isn''t like a lifestyle for us.

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there. My kiddo is still in utero (and he''s LATE. Little buggar!), but I plan to raise my child on the same lacto-ovo vegetarian diet that DH and I follow. While he''s little, there will be no fast food, soda, or prepackaged snacks. We eat mostly organic, but what we really strive for is in-season locally grown produce, free range eggs, and hormone-free dairy products.

I will be at home, so it''ll be easier for me to make sure he eats what I want him to eat. I''m no dummy though. I know once he''s old enough to be alone with friends he''ll probably go on a cheeto and diet coke rampage. Haha :)

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Hahaha you have a lazy baby too? My little munchkin was 10 days late. Awesome!

It's good to hear someone else has experience with this. My friend called me in a panic the other night saying he saw a movie called Food Inc. about all the awful stuff they do to food in the US. I felt like I was always very aware of what my daughter was eating. It's important to me that she eats well to stay healthy, not to be thin. The thought of feeding her a chicken breast that's been genetically altered and medicated to be the size of a football just doesn't seem like a good plan.

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Haha. Yeah, I love all the "plumping" they do. I don''t eat meat because I have a hard time digesting it, but I cook it for my parents and others if they want it.

They never understand why the chickens I buy are so small and why I buy these small carrots and cucumbers. I told them that their meat and produce was being altered to be that big and that if they wanted to eat it, they could. But, they should at least know that cucumbers are not naturally 2 feet long (well, some of the English ones are, but that''s a different story).

My Dad goes "I thought they used to be smaller." He''s so cute.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
We don''t label ourselves as "organic eaters" and aren''t on any sort of strict diet but purchase the majority of our produce, 80% or more, from local farmers markets and avoid products with hormones in them. For us it these things fell into place as food simply tastes better this way. We both enjoy cooking, and my husband in particular prides himself on making things from scratch. Our child will be fed as we eat. She won''t be forbidden fast food, sweets, etc. but those things won''t be the norm for her, because they aren''t for us.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My kids were on an entirely organic diet for about four years. Well, almost entirely. They did eat some regular snack foods like Gold fish. This was when my DH was making more money. Since he''s changed professions twice now in the last 1.5 years, I''ve reduced the amount of organics. The ONLY thing I insist on buying exclusively organic is meat. Since DH now will be bringing in more income (just got a new job), we''ll transition back to organics. I''ve already begun buying organic eggs again and also milk & mics. stuff like sour cream (kids LOVE that). Oh, and the kids love hot dogs. Of course, I only buy the organic ones.
2.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
No kids here, yet.

But clicking on this thread I was impressed with Cello and KimH''s replies. I expected a more idealistic response.

For me, organic is preferable but it is not always available or true organic produce so not being a slave to any life choice is important to me.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 2:12:59 PM
Author: KimberlyH
We don''t label ourselves as ''organic eaters'' and aren''t on any sort of strict diet but purchase the majority of our produce, 80% or more, from local farmers markets and avoid products with hormones in them. For us it these things fell into place as food simply tastes better this way. We both enjoy cooking, and my husband in particular prides himself on making things from scratch. Our child will be fed as we eat. She won''t be forbidden fast food, sweets, etc. but those things won''t be the norm for her, because they aren''t for us.
Just to add, we live nearby farmer markets, so my goal is to increase shopping at these this spring/summer. I try to limit the amount of sweets my kids have and when they do get treats, it''ll be foods like Yogurts (which have a ridiculous amount of sugar) that still have nutritional value.

I also make cookies from scratch and that way, I can cut the sugar amount in half and still the cookies taste yummy. I cannot fathom putting 2 cups of sugar in a recipe for two-three dozen cookies.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 2:22:02 PM
Author: Steel
No kids here, yet.

But clicking on this thread I was impressed with Cello and KimH''s replies. I expected a more idealistic response.

For me, organic is preferable but it is not always available or true organic produce so not being a slave to any life choice is important to me.

I rarely encounter people I would consider "slaves" to their food choices.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
No children yet here either, and another lacto-ovo vegetarian, but DF is an omnivore when we eat outside the home. Because our diet is so vegetable and grain based, I am aware of how much BETTER organic, in season fruits, veggies and eggs taste. We already make certain our eggs come from free-range, hormone free sources. The cheese doesn''t always.

Our plan is to raise our kids lacto-ovo. I would purposefully avoid all milk, chicken or meat with growth hormones. Vegetables can always be washed.

Cello-I just helped my friend deliver her first baby, born Thursday-he was 41wks by US dates and 42wks by LMP. BUT his actual Gestational Age assessment that is done after birth placed him closer to 40wks than postdate. Enjoy these last few days!

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
I hear you Steel. It bothers me when people eat only organic because it''s a trend or because there is some status-like thing attached to it. I eat mainly organic and in season because it tastes good and it makes me feel good.

And I think I should backtrack a little to explain my stance on soda, prepackaged snacks, etc. I won''t ban him from sweets entirely. Heck, I bake twice a week! Sunday morning I make muffins or loaves for breakfast and on Tuesdays I make a sweet. Cinnamon coffee cake, cookies, blueberry cakes when they are in season, apple pies, etc. I also make tortila chips for DH and I (and yes, they''re fried! Yummo!) and we enjoy an Italian soda-like concotion that I make sometimes. It''s club soda with a syrup I make from a berry reduction. :)

Basically I just like back to basics eating and knowing what I''m eating (hence the no prepackaged thing). I buy organic when I feel or taste a difference. I''m an old-fashioned gal. I mean, c''mon, I make my own jam at the end of every summer, bake my own bread twice a week, and can my own spaghetti sauce. I don''t run a blog on old-fashioned living for nothing. Haha. It''s kind of an odd passion of mine.

I''m just really lucky that I have time to live like this. That''s the thing I''m probably most grateful for.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 2:49:59 PM
Author: mayachel
Vegetables can always be washed.
Vegetables/fruit should always be washed. Watching people paw at apples looking to find the best ones is kinda gross.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 3:00:10 PM
Author: cellososweet
I hear you Steel. It bothers me when people eat only organic because it''s a trend or because there is some status-like thing attached to it. I eat mainly organic and in season because it tastes good and it makes me feel good.

And I think I should backtrack a little to explain my stance on soda, prepackaged snacks, etc. I won''t ban him from sweets entirely.
It''s impossible to ban kids from junk food. My boys are allowed only water or milk at school and bring their lunches. Well, one day my son came home with a bottle of Gatorade, which HORRIFIED me. Turned out his friend bought it for him.

Basically my rule is as long as they have three good meals a day and drink just water and milk, that when they have friends over or go over to another child''s house, it''s okay if they''re served a bit of junk. I don''t buy soda or chips, however, about twice a month, they do get diet 7-up because I don''t want to be neurotic and we all gotta have a bit of fun!
1.gif

MMMD

Shiny_Rock
You have a great attitude MC. I try to keep healthy snacks in the house as the general rule but banning all junk in our society isn''t always possible.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I find that having a relaxed attitude about food is key. If you fervently prohibit something, kids want it so much more!

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 3:06:56 PM
Author: MC

Date: 1/9/2010 3:00:10 PM

And I think I should backtrack a little to explain my stance on soda, prepackaged snacks, etc. I won''t ban him from sweets entirely.
It''s impossible to ban kids from junk food. My boys are allowed only water or milk at school and bring their lunches. Well, one day my son came home with a bottle of Gatorade, which HORRIFIED me. Turned out his friend bought it for him.

Basically my rule is as long as they have three good meals a day and drink just water and milk, that when they have friends over or go over to another child''s house, it''s okay if they''re served a bit of junk. I don''t buy soda or chips, however, about twice a month, they do get diet 7-up because I don''t want to be neurotic and we all gotta have a bit of fun!
1.gif
Oh I know. That''s why I joked that when he''s old enough to be left along he''ll go on a cheeto and diet coke rampage. I guess I should''ve mentioned that I''m fine with that. Haha. I love cheetos too and can totally relate to their allure. I''m pregnant and I think I ate enough Cooler Ranch Doritos during my first trimester to qualify as obsessed. Haha. :) I just won''t make it a habit of having that stuff in our house, unless of course we decide to go for #2 at some point and I''m sure the doritos will make a comeback.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do what I can and buy organic if it''s there, but I don''t wig out about it. The only thing I''m set on is giving her organic whole milk.

Sometimes she''ll have organic meats, sometimes she won''t. And I do give her stuff like goldfish or water crackers.

As for sweets, she''s 21 months and it''s still a no no in my house. I''ll give it to her later...but why bother now when she doesn''t know what she''s missing? So no candy, cake, cookies or juice. At some point, she''ll get them here and there as a treat, not as a regular thing. And no sodas...I''ll let her discover that on her own. I grew up without them in our house, and I think that''s a good thing (although we certainly had them when I went out with friends, no big deal.)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a kid yet, but when I do I plan to feed them a healthy diet, but not necessary one that is 100% organic. Right now, DH and I eat lots of produce (not all organic, but some), drink organic milk, don''t eat fast food, don''t eat packaged snacks, etc and I plan to continue a similar diet with our child, but I won''t get hung up with things having to be organic all the time. I tend to read the lists of what things are best to buy organic, and I do - like milk and certain veggies and fruits.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Daisy eats what we eat... so if it''s microwave curry she gets that and if it''s roast chicken with organic veggies then she gets that.

The only things that don''t exist in our house are milk and bread. I don''t mind her having bread in moderation but milk will only be as a ''food'' not as a ''drink''. She''s had juice but prefers water so that''s great.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 3:27:36 PM

Oh I know. That's why I joked that when he's old enough to be left along he'll go on a cheeto and diet coke rampage. I guess I should've mentioned that I'm fine with that. Haha. I love cheetos too and can totally relate to their allure. I'm pregnant and I think I ate enough Cooler Ranch Doritos during my first trimester to qualify as obsessed. Haha. :) I just won't make it a habit of having that stuff in our house, unless of course we decide to go for #2 at some point and I'm sure the doritos will make a comeback.
Yep, if the kid is feed to much organic, once a bit older, they rebound with tons of junk. lol! My kids do love cheetos and also love Cool Ranch Doritos! To kind of balance things out (and save mone), I buy a bag whenever we go to the movies (rather than movie popcorn) and will fill up a zip lock bag for each of them and sneak that in. So, they get a chance to indulge, however associate that food with an occasion rather than just eating a bagful while lounging on the couch. My friend makes her own popcorn at home (air pop) and I guess I should be doing that. . .
2.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 3:17:45 PM
Author: MMMD
You have a great attitude MC. I try to keep healthy snacks in the house as the general rule but banning all junk in our society isn''t always possible.
Thank you, Mary!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I don''t buy organic food particularly, but I do buy local produce and ethically reared meat. I avoid shopping in supermarkets for ethical reasons, and I don''t buy any processed foods. If I can''t make it, we can''t eat it. I''m very aware of what we eat and particularly what our baby eats. DH is probably pickier about her food than I am but I don''t give her cakes, cookies, candy, chocolate, milk, processed food, pre-prepared foods, juice or soda. I have a pretty good idea about what goes into these things. I expect she''ll find them all eventually, but until then, no.

We grow a lot of fruit and veggies and keep a couple of hens, too. I don''t use milk much, but I''d rather have milk from the local farm (they don''t add hormones or antibiotics to feed, or chemical fertilizers to the grass) than industrially homogenised organic milk in a plastic carton that has travelled hundreds of miles. I do try to think about food miles as well as method of production - our local shop currently has organic potatoes air freighted from Egypt, or locally grown ones that weren''t certified organic. I personally thought that the local ones were a better choice, but sometimes it''s hard to tell.

I worry about what is in food 80% of the time. The other 20%, I want a cheeseburger and fries, with a side order of deep pan cheese feast and a gallon of full-fat coke. Lovely.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
For the most part yes. If I can''t always buy organic, no biggie. But make an effort to do so.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 3:03:24 PM

Vegetables/fruit should always be washed. Watching people paw at apples looking to find the best ones is kinda gross.

Absolutely! Even if it''s organic I don''t want to purposely eat manure with my veggies ;-) I just mention it in terms of priority when price conscious of the difference. Growth hormones/PCBs in our animal products can''t be washed away. Some fertilizers can be.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing wrong with an organic diet, it only becomes a problem if you''re not willing to bend at all. Children go to school and daycare and friends and will not be eating all organic. I would buy my sisters son organic treats but it became a big problem when he was not allowed to eat a single thing in my home. He was 1 at the time.

I refused to watch him anymore(until she loosened her strictness). He actually wasn''t gaining weight properly due to her limited diet she fed him. He''s a perfectly happy 2 year old now, who eats organic fruit but is also allowed a cookie too.

I can tell you that if at home you''re extremely strict, you might be surprised to learn at school your child is asking his friends to buy them stuff on their account so their mom can''t tell ;0) Everything in moderation is my rule. I prefer my milk hormone free but not necessarily organic...and a Happy Meal now and then won''t lead my child towards a life of obesity and being diabetic.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2010 4:08:27 PM
Author: Pandora II
Daisy eats what we eat... so if it''s microwave curry she gets that and if it''s roast chicken with organic veggies then she gets that.

The only things that don''t exist in our house are milk and bread. I don''t mind her having bread in moderation but milk will only be as a ''food'' not as a ''drink''. She''s had juice but prefers water so that''s great.
Sorry for butting in here Pan, but I can''t remember why you don''t give milk. My youngest (19) is lactose incompatible. I won''t say intolerant because I think that would require a doctor''s diagnosis. Anyway, she''s the healthiest one in the family and hasn''t had milk since she was 6 months old and came off of soy formula. Basically she survives on protein and some carbs. She dislikes most veggies except salad which she eats often. Somehow she has developed a great immune system too. Or is it from the lack of milk?

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter can''t keep whole milk down. It makes her stomach too upset and she used to cry for hours and hours when she was a baby. When we switched to soy she never had another bout of colic or reflux ever again. We''ve had her on soy nearly 2 years and don''t plan to switch. It''s a great option and we actually only buy soy for the family because it tastes so good! When I was growing up it didn''t taste nearly as good as it does now, IMO.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 11:34:10 PM
Author: makemepretty
Nothing wrong with an organic diet, it only becomes a problem if you''re not willing to bend at all. Children go to school and daycare and friends and will not be eating all organic. I would buy my sisters son organic treats but it became a big problem when he was not allowed to eat a single thing in my home. He was 1 at the time.

I refused to watch him anymore(until she loosened her strictness). He actually wasn''t gaining weight properly due to her limited diet she fed him. He''s a perfectly happy 2 year old now, who eats organic fruit but is also allowed a cookie too.

I can tell you that if at home you''re extremely strict, you might be surprised to learn at school your child is asking his friends to buy them stuff on their account so their mom can''t tell ;0) Everything in moderation is my rule. I prefer my milk hormone free but not necessarily organic...and a Happy Meal now and then won''t lead my child towards a life of obesity and being diabetic.
For daycare, you can have your kids bring their own snacks and lunches. Not to say they won''t eat candy when there is a b-day party or holiday, but still you can exercise some control. My son is a bit hypoglycemic and on more than one occasion, when around age 4, his preschool teacher mentioned his hands shaking. Well, as it turned out, they were giving him juice and he was crashing from it. Luckily, I when I asked them to switch his beverage to water, they were totally on board. I also began packing his own lunch. . .they still fed him crackers and stuff, but like I said above, I kept in line with him eating his meal healthy and didn''t stress that he ate saltines as his snack.

There was a Kinsolver book I read a few years back and she was talking of how even organics aren''t all necessarily that. With winds blowing, the pesticides from non-organic farms blow onto the organic farms. Kind of disappointing to think about. We spend 1.5X as much and still risk buying chemically fruit.
14.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 4:41:28 PM

Date: 1/9/2010 3:03:24 PM

Absolutely! Even if it's organic I don't want to purposely eat manure with my veggies ;-) I just mention it in terms of priority when price conscious of the difference. Growth hormones/PCBs in our animal products can't be washed away. Some fertilizers can be.
hahaha Yuck. Once I was washing a head of organic lettuce and found a few baby slugs hidden inside the leaves! lol

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 11:54:25 PM
Author: lyra

Date: 1/9/2010 4:08:27 PM
Author: Pandora II

Sorry for butting in here Pan, but I can''t remember why you don''t give milk. My youngest (19) is lactose incompatible. I won''t say intolerant because I think that would require a doctor''s diagnosis. Anyway, she''s the healthiest one in the family and hasn''t had milk since she was 6 months old and came off of soy formula. Basically she survives on protein and some carbs. She dislikes most veggies except salad which she eats often. Somehow she has developed a great immune system too. Or is it from the lack of milk?
Combination of reasons:

1) Milk is designed for the baby animal of that species. Cow''s milk is for calves, Human milk is for human babies.

2) I always hated milk as a child and refused to drink it. My brother and sisters all drank large quantities. All of them are now lactose intolerant - I am the only one who is not. All of them get every cough and cold going - I can''t remember the last time I was ill with a cough or cold or viral infection, my immune system is super-strong and I''m married to a guy who is immuno-compromised and is endlessly ill so I get plenty of exposure.

3) It''s extremely fattening.

So... milk as food ie. cheese, yoghurt, cream, butter is fine, on cereal or the occasional milkshake is also fine, but big glasses of it to drink is not okay.

ETA: I do intend to breast-feed until Daisy is at least 2 unless she self-weans.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results