shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have any regrets on getting halo/micropave rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
I''m seriously thinking about getting my e-ring reset....(yes I know its been less than a month but my setting just bugs me
38.gif
) I know halos/micropave are all the rage right now but does anyone think it''ll last? I don''t want to get it reset and look down at my e-ring a few years later and realize its completely out of style and want it reset yet again. My fiance will kill me LOL

That being said...I do really love the look and I like being different (since I''d be the only person I know with a halo/micropave) hehe.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello! I have one pave'' ring (a 2.25 carat hexaganonaly shaped step-cut sapphire with the entire band done in pave'' diamonds) that was made in the late 1920''s. It hasn''t lost a stone yet. Last year I got a canary diamond in a halo setting with trilliants also surrounded by halos. If the workmanship is good, you won''t lose any stones as long as you''re very careful. (No playing tennis or gardening or other rough, dirty work while you wear the ring!)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me personally that look is one you really have to LOVE through thick and thin....it's a personal preference and I don't think that it will go out of style entirely...it will probably pass as a trend and then come back years later almost like everything else....but if you just absolutely love it then it won't really matter if it's in style or not.

But if you are unsure if you really love it then I would hold off on getting it...maybe you can do it as a RHR or similar?

I tried on a 3 stone RHR recently that was alot like the 3 stone halo Ritani and it looks GREAT on the right hand...now I am torn between doing something like that for a RHR or getting a lattice style kind of wide diamond band for the right hand (next year or year after probably!)....I also think that you should try on tons of settings in person and really get a feel for what you love on your hand. Sometimes the ring styles we like do not like us back...I tried on a beautiful Daniel K halo'd asscher recently and it looked ridiculous on my hand though I could not say WHY....so that won't be something I pursue most likely!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think you will ever look down at your ring and think "gosh, this is so 2005!"
2.gif
Halos have been around for a long time (as evidenced by Madam Bijoux''s 1920s ring).

The only thing is that today I see a lot of jewelers pushing halos, although to be honest, I have never actually seen someone in real life wearing one.

So I think as long as you really love the look and style, you should go for it!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Well what I''d like is a Tiffany Legacy setting but with the halo in a rather cut cornered shape to emphasize my Jubilee. I have tried on the Legacy and I absolutely adored it. What really concerns me is that from the several vendors I''ve talked to that are willing to make a custom setting, no one has ever set a Jubilee into a halo and I guess I''m just nervous that it''ll look completely horrible.
32.gif

I definitely don''t like too much micropave which is why I really love the Legacy it doesn''t have micropave overkill.
5.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Madam Bijoux I''d love to see your rings especially the 1920 one!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
When I first got my ring, I don''t think the term "halo" was even being used on p-scope yet!! And I still LOVE my ring!!

I have NO problems with it at all - I still think it''s the best decision I made. I am reinforced by this whjen i see someone elses ring that looks much smaller than mine even though it''s the same size if not bigger, just w/out a halo!

Also, even though they seem "trendy" on this website, I have yet to see one in person besides my own!!

I get at least 3 compliments a week from total strangers about it!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an asscher halo RHR and I am in love with it. I did lose a stone but had it replaced and it''s been problem free for many months now. If you love it, go for it. I have yet to see someone in public with a halo ring. And I look at people''s rings all the time. MB I would love to see your 1920 ring too!!!

SeattleSparkle

Brilliant_Rock
You have a Jubilee (gasp)!!? I was reading on GOG''s website about that cut yesterday and about how its going to "revolutionize the diamond industry as far as square cuts go." Do you love it? I was sure I was going to get a radiant diamond until I was reading about that yesterday .... if you want to share more info about it .... I''d looooove to hear it!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2005 1:33:57 PM
Author: princessv
What really concerns me is that from the several vendors I''ve talked to that are willing to make a custom setting, no one has ever set a Jubilee into a halo and I guess I''m just nervous that it''ll look completely horrible.
32.gif

5.gif

I wouldn''t worry about this. Jubilee''s are relatively rare/new/unique. THAT''s why most folks haven''t "halo-ed" one yet. NOT because it would "look horrible". The facet pattern is enough like a round brilliant I think it would work wonderfully!

What I really wanted to say is (based on Dani''s thread re: wedding rings fitting with e-rings) GET A WEDDING BAND MADE TO MATCH/SIT FLUSH at the same time IF you do DO IT. Treysar got lucky finding one to go with her round ... the cut-cornered shape of your future halo e-ring will be much more difficult to match/fit/flush ... heads up!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Wow so many responses already LOL

Mara: no $$ for a RHR but I wish! I also wish I knew more stores that sold halos...I don''t see many at all in my area. Although I do think that some of the mall jewelers do have some hrm maybe I''ll check out Bailey''s
5.gif
and drop by Tiffany''s again to try on the Legacy haha!

Treysar: Haha I''m the same way I think oooh halo+diamond=bigger looking diamond!

Let''s see SeattleSparkle here''s my SMTR thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-jubilee-engagement-ring.36506/=
I do love it and couldn''t imagine having picked a different stone.

Deco: The main reason I''m getting it reset is because with the setting its in right now I have to get a curved wedding band...which I refuse to do! So whoever is making the new setting will also be making a wedding band to sit flush. Also, I think the setting is WAY too THICK and that bugs the heck outta me. My fingers are really short and I just think the whole setting detracts from the stone since its so thick and my fingers are so short
38.gif

I guess I just wish someone else already had this done with a Jubilee so I could see how it looks and reinforce my gut feeling about doing this! My fiance just wants to make sure whatever I do doesn''t take away from the center stone which is why I want a really thin setting about 2-2.5mm since I really dislike my thick one!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Also, kaleigh I''ve been trying to search for your ring I think I remember seeing it awhile back could you post the link?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could post pictures here, but I don't have a digital camera or a scanner. I just had to buy a new heater for my house, so it doesn't look like I'll be getting a new camera or new additions to my collection any time soon.
39.gif
8.gif
But I would be glad to bring some of my little friends to a Philadelphia Pricescope get-together some time.

Here's a link to a picture of my canary:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-rings-with-halos.27882/page-4

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2005 1:48:52 PM
Author: kaleigh
I have an asscher halo RHR and I am in love with it. I did lose a stone but had it replaced and it''s been problem free for many months now. If you love it, go for it. I have yet to see someone in public with a halo ring. And I look at people''s rings all the time. MB I would love to see your 1920 ring too!!!
once we meet up after Christmas, you''ll have seen mine in person too and then you can''t feel unique anymore
3.gif
hehe, just kidding! I''ve never seen anyone w/ a halo ring outside of ps, and none of my friends had ever seen one before either.

I love my halo ring. If this was going to be THE ring forever, I might not have gotten one- hard to say. But there will be additional (bigger!) rings in a few years
1.gif
so I got what I love now!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
PrincessV,
I know it doesn''t matter, but I REALLY like your current setting. I think it is super classy!!
I''m sorry you don''t like it... how does the fiance feel about you changing it? Will you be able to recycle the platinum?
Good luck with your decision!
Gail

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Icekid-I agree with you I probably wouldn''t get a halo either on a diamond thats gigantic...but for me I know this pretty much will be it as I love my Jubilee too much already (darn sentimental attachments getting in my way of loving bigger diamonds! LOL)

Madam Bijoux may I just say WOW
30.gif

So for those of you who do have halos...what is the width? I''d like to go with 2mm and I''ve had some jewelers tell me absolutely NOT.
7.gif
But I was thinking its not like I want micropave all around like some rings I''ve seen either.
33.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Gail! Really its not the actual setting that I don''t love its how thick it is. I feel like it stumps my already short fingers
38.gif
and then I think wow my fingers are going to look even shorter when I get a band...in all honesty I highly doubt I''d be complaining if I had a really thin setting and I hope no one here thinks I''m being spoilt since I''m already looking for a new setting. My dream setting is with a halo though
5.gif

Thankfully, my setting is NOT platinum! My fiance was on a really set budget when we bought the ring and I believe the setting was $300 so all in all he''s a *little* upset but he understands why I want a different one (he''s so sweet to put up with me
30.gif
) and he did agree to go see Quest Jewelers since we are going to be very close by this weekend. Apparently there is a custom made Legacy type setting for an EC Quest just finished...they also pointed me to kaleigh''s yummy yummy asscher *drool*.

But don''t get me wrong this isn''t happening for a few months...my fiance really wants price quotes to determine if its even doable.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m glad you found my ring. Quest is awesome and does great work. Please tell them I say hi!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually you may want to talk to Jonathan and maybe Garry/Cut Nut about setting a Jubilee in a halo...

I vaguely remember asking about setting my Regent into a bezel and I think Garry said that would be a no no, but I can't remember WHY he would have said that. Or maybe I'm just really imagining things? I seem to remember something about the diamond losing something. It was a long time ago.

Anyway I'd post asking about putting a Jubilee in a halo on RT here and just see what the experts say ...aka would it take away from the stone because of the way it is cut (deeper on pavilion etc)...you don't want to buy a beautiful stunning stone and then put it into a setting that would not just flatter the heck out of it. But it may not be an issue. The people who have seen Jube's and worked with them would know best!

Good luck!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2005 7:42:55 PM
Author: Mara

I vaguely remember asking about setting my Regent into a bezel and I think Garry said that would be a no no, but I can''t remember WHY
''guess it was about the wide cutouts on the girdle - those would both make the bezel a tricky option and darken the stone if covered.

The Jubilee has those less wide than the Regents, so... it may work.

But, neither would happen if the stone is suspended over/in the halo on short prongs.

My 2c

Waiting for the expert opinion too.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Thats a good point actually. I have talked to Tim at GOG who thought that it wouldn't be a problem although he did refer me to Marie and I also called Wink Jones, other people like Bob at WF, Signed Pieces and Quest. All of them didn't think it would be a problem although no one has ever seen it done. But yes I definitely want a real answer before proceeding. Hopefully it'll be a good one
5.gif
I do think I'd prefer for the Jubilee to be bezel set. However, I don't like how in some halos the diamond appears to be sitting too low.

ETA: Quest has also set a Jubilee too (noobie's I believe with the special prongs)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only regret I have is not being able to use my Ultra Sonic on it
39.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Well on our trip over to DC we have decided to stop by Quest to see what they said once they look at my diamond and show me a custom setting they just completed for an EC...that being said I''m going to start a new thread now on Jubilees in halos..thanks for all the advice ladies!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
good point ana, princess you can always set the stone up a bit in the halo rather than flush with the halo, kind of like how WF has that one bezel set halo and then the one prong set halo where it''s raised up slightly (the stone), that would most likely take care of covering any sort of key lines in the stone.

but hopefully someone will chime in about doing that or bezel setting. if you don''t get responses, you can always private message garry/cut nut and ask him and i''d ask jonathan too (at GOG).

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Ana, could you photo shop a pciture of Princess V''s Jubilee and the legacy photos from Tiffany''s website? I was soo nervous about my necklace until you did your magic and now I am all excited!
vsering%20025.jpg
engagement_legacy_legacy1.jpg
vsering%20042.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results