shape
carat
color
clarity

Any knitters out there?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
There''s a woman around here who knits or crochets (I''m not really sure what looks like what), and she does a little jacket and pants and booties for the OB baby bags at the hospital. Just nice to have something homemade to take home, I thought. Also, another woman does kids mittens, and takes them to the bookstore around Thanksgiving I think, and they drape them over the huge Christmas tree, and then when kids come in to buy a book, they get to pick a pair from the tree. London picked a rainbow pair last year and was thrilled to pieces.

Just a couple ideas to add on to those already mentioned.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Here ( Georgia) there are knitting shops that have B#tch and Stitch groups, I guess like book clubs, or quilting bees. It sounds fun. Yes, I can knit, but it is not pretty. The stitches do not have the exact same tension, or something.

I think it is sort of like playing a musical instrument. You can take lessons, and learn how, but you can never play like someone who was born with a gift.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
There's a knitting thread I started ages ago in Hangout but I think it might be closed now: Crafty PScopers? Knitting?

I highly recommend Ravelry - it's like Facebook for knitters, and is an amazing resource for patterns and advice and support. I also hugely recommend
9.gif
Knitting Help - there's a video on there for just about anything you'd want to try.

Like Blen, I can't remember learning to knit, everyone learns in school over here but I already knew how when we did it in school! I learned English style, but the version we do in Ireland doesn't involve as dramatic a 'throw' as what I've seen some of my American pals doing. My hands never hurt after knitting. There's a good video somewhere of the Yarn Harlot knitting and it looks very similar to what I do.

I definitely second the dishcloths idea. Buy yourself a few cheap balls of double knitting cotton in colours you like, cast on about 30 stitches on about 4mm needles, and knit a square in any combination of stitches you like! Consider each square a practice square - try knitting, purling, ribbing, cabling!
1.gif

Now ladies, a knitting thread needs lots more photos!!!
31.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2009 10:21:31 AM
Author: Pink Tower
Here ( Georgia) there are knitting shops that have B#tch and Stitch groups, I guess like book clubs, or quilting bees. It sounds fun. Yes, I can knit, but it is not pretty. The stitches do not have the exact same tension, or something.

I think it is sort of like playing a musical instrument. You can take lessons, and learn how, but you can never play like someone who was born with a gift.
There''s a group of ladies at DH''s work that do this. Apparently one of the girls doesn''t even knit, she just shows up for the gossip
9.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knit but don''t get around to it much anymore. Scarves, pot holders and dish clothes are good starter projects. Then things like hats, mittens and slippers.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Delster that a knitting thread needs more photos. I posted these on Haven''s holiday crafts, but here I go again. hope it inspires someone.

this is when I was knitting my brother''s gloves. I think it was my first 4 needle project.

noelwrknitprogress.JPG

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
and here's a blanket I knit for DH. this was very easy. I just knit 3 strips and sewed them together. the problem is he is 6'6 so it took a long time to make all the strips.

noelwrblanket2.JPG

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
and I love to make cable sweaters, but I don''t knit DH much because everything always has to be made longer and takes more time.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
now with pic

noelwrdhsweater.JPG

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
noelwr, all of the things you''ve made are beautiful! I hope I get into it enough to make really fun things.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Noelwr love your photos! That Aran sweater looks amazing, so many hours of love gone into that.

Are you on Ravelry?
35.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
I am DYING to learn to knit! I crochet and have tried to teach myself to knit and it''s been a disaster thus far. And it looks so easy! But I can''t seem to keep a consistant slack/tension on my needles and then when my work falls of the needles, I don''t know how to fix it!

Love the suggestion for finding a local store. I just noticed there''s one in the little downtown area near my house. I think I may make a field trip over there to see if they have beginners classes or someone that can help me.

Does anyone know if knitting needles are allowed on airplanes? I fly a lot and have down time to kill.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Noelwr, your work is AMAZING. I am so completely humbled!!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Delster - what is Ravelry? so, no, I am not on there, but would love to find out what it is if it has to do with knitting.
by the way, my style is english knitting, but I do it with one needle tucked under my right arm. is there a name for that? grandma-style? haha!

elrohwen - have you started anything yet?

April20 - have you maybe tried wooden needles? maybe the yarn will be less likely to slip off of that. regarding work falling off your needle - I totally agree it sucks! if it''s a simple pattern, it''s usually easily to figure out, but if it''s with cables or slipping stitches, it is a total nightmare! regarding knitting needles on airplanes, I don''t think so. I am sure you could probably kill someone with one. what I did when I was knitting my mom a shawl and had a 13-hour plane ride, was I moved it onto circular needles (which are a bit unhandy with tension) so they are not seen as long pointy weapons in the x-ray. and I had some extra string ready to put through my work to hold the stitches just in case they did confiscate my needles, which they did not.

below is a blouse I finished yesterday. the lacy bit at the top doesn''t look great, but I think once properly stretched it will be nice to wear on vacation somewhere warm. or I could put it on top of a turtleneck.

noelwrblouse5jan.JPG

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Noelwr Ravelry is a bit like Facebook for knitters. Knitters and hookers post up their projects and their notes on any modifications they made to the pattern, or problems they encountered and how they fixed them, etc. It's just the most amazing resource. You can check out any issues with a pattern, and ogle hundreds of finished projects and get a feel for how it looks in different yarns/colours/sizes, and just generally get inspired! It's got a great forum section too. Here's the link:

http://www.ravelry.com

I also clamp a needle under one arm if I'm using straight needles!
9.gif
But I very rarely use straight needles any more. Actually, that's not right, I just never use straight needles any more, much prefer circulars! There's a description and a video of the method I use on this site: Lever action English knitting / Irish cottage knitting

April I hear you on the pain of trying to put runaway stitches back on the needles! Maybe what's happening is that when you drop the yarn and pick it back up again you don't maintain a consistent pull on the yarn? If that's the case then honestly the solution is to just keep going! The more you practice the more consistent your tension will become
1.gif
Also, if you are a knitter who actually drops the yarn and moves your entire right hand in order to 'throw', you could consider trying to make those movements smaller and more compact. The more moving there is going on with that right hand, the harder it is to keep consistent tension.

Aeroplane knitting: In the US, certain kinds of needles are permitted on planes and certain kinds aren't. Wooden or bamboo circulars or DPNs are absolutely fine for sure. Over here, though, all kinds of knitting needles are frowned upon and will be confiscated if found. Many knitters use the interchangeable circulars and put their knitting on the cable part in their handbag, and keep the actual tips separate so they can be inspected if needs be. If you adopt this approach over here, arrive to the airport early and bring a self addressed stamped envelope so you can post your tips back to yourself rather than have them confiscated.

Last of all - my most recently completed project - Felted Slippers! I love 'em!

4231305487_ce6a1aafb7_m.jpg

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Delster - I will definitely check out Ravelry. who knew there was such a big place for knitters??? I am really excited.

those felted slippers are adorable, and you made so many!!!

have you ever been to the Knitting & Stitching show in the UK? I''ve been twice with my mom: to the one in Dublin and the one in London. I saw a lot of felt projects there. where I live (Holland) crafts are not such a big thing. there is a knitting store near my house, but I don''t read Dutch knitting patterns (even though I speak Dutch... but knitting has it''s own terms and I only know them in English), and I think most of that stuff originates from Germany (like Burda and Rebecca, ggh). so most of the English patterns I get, you have to get the yarn either in the UK or the U.S. and I order a lot on line, or go crazy at a knitting show. I stopped trying to use substitute yarn. I always buy the yarn brand recommended by the pattern because I''m tired of things coming out too big or too small. though I have to say Sirdar brand usually ends up being larger than what the pattern says. ok, now I''m rambling...

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Noelwr when you get on Ravelry come find me! Look up the French Press Felted Slippers pattern and then go through the projects - you'll recognise me cos that photo above is on Ravelry
1.gif

I've been to the Knitting & Stitching Show in Dublin - those fairs are dangerous on the wallet!!!
2.gif

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Delster - I added you as a friend. hope you want to be my friend.
9.gif
not sure if you even get a message about that or if I secretly stalk you or how that works... the Juliet cardigan you made is absolutely beautiful ! hope I can one day be at your skill level. I still have to update my stuff. have to do it this weekend because I have to dig up all the patterns as I didn''t know that this website is so technical! makes sense though that you can look up a pattern and see other people''s experiences making it.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Gotcha!
9.gif
Can''t wait to see more of your projects!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I can''t remember but did anyone mention Knitty yet? Loads and loads and loads of free patterns on there, all types of stuff. Just brilliant.

http://www.knitty.com/

Round Halo Lover

Shiny_Rock
Oh my Gosh.... how strange.... I learnt how to knit last night (well I learnt in school but got a refresher course last night)!!!!!! It''s kinda addicitve isn''t it.

Delster.... I see you are a fellow Irish PS''er......from watching the news things look fairly bad in Dublin....I''m in Waterford and we''ve only had a little sprinkle

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Hi RHL
35.gif
Delighted to hear it''s coming back to you, sure it''s like riding a bike! Did you make headbands and armbands in school too?
2.gif

Yep I''m in Ireland, there''s quite a few of us on here actually. Think I''m the only knitter though [8) ]The weather is mad isn''t it?!?

Round Halo Lover

Shiny_Rock
Defo like riding a bike. I''m doing a scarf at the moment (to ease myself back into the craft!!).

Weather is mad alright......I think it''s gas the way the whole country is practically stopped over some snow......so much for contingency plans!

Is there any meet and greet Irish PS''er thread?

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, I love to knit!!! My mom taught me when I was a kid, and then I took classes about 5 years ago at a local store. I''m soooo excited that my favorite restaurant/lounge is hosting a knitting group on Sundays!!! I can''t wait for the first get together!!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
This thread just inspired me to dig out some yarn and actually knit again. I love buying yarn, it has so many possibilities, I love all the textures and colours. I''m not so great at actually finishing the projects. I have more yarn than one person could knit in a lifetime, I suspect.

I''m working on a sweater for DD, who will hate me when she''s old enough to see just how uncool that really is. I knit with more enthusiasm than skill.

When I was pregnant, DH and I got a pattern for set of baby clothes - jacket, hat, mittens, booties, and a little teddybear. I packed it away recently with outgrown clothes and it made me teary to remember knitting it. You can tell which bits he did, though.
9.gif

Jen

É

étoile

Good to see so many knitters on here. I started knitting like 4 years ago....I think. My old boss taught me and it was really fun. She has the patience of a saint.
12.gif
I have a ton of unfinished objects like a sock in the works and a scarf for my sister, just to name a couple.

For you ladies on Ravelry, don't you just love it as a resource? I love that you can lookup yarn that you have in your stash and see what everyone made with it. Sometimes I'm not a good invision-er so that helps me decide.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I''m digging this thread up again because I was finally able to resume knitting and I want to show off! One of my friends will be having a little girl in a couple months so I made this...I''m anxious for her shower so I can give it to her! It''s called Matinee Coat from Debbie Bliss Simply Baby.

What is everyone else currently working on? I''m attempting a sweater for DH, of course the pattern he liked was in a baby knits book so I''m trying to adapt it for an adult guy. We''ll see whether I have any success, at least it''s a very simple stockinette stitch raglan sweater so it could have been worse.

OctaviaBabySweaterHydrangea.jpg

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Octavia, that is super super cute!! My knitting isn''t going well ... I have about 12" of a a scarf completed
9.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
That''s gorgeous, Octavia! The DebbieBliss yarns knit up really nicely, I always enjoy working with them.
I just finished a sweater for DD. It''s cute, and it turned out ok, but I think I made the sleeves a bit too long! Poor thing is swamped by it. LOL

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Noel and Del--Your pieces are amazing!

Elro--Get thee to a knitting circle! They''re free (at least the ones out here are free) and there are always a couple ladies who *love* taking newbies under their wing. Seriously. Find a nice local knitting shop, and ask when they get together to knit and just show up. That''s what we did and they literally swept us up and told us what to buy, showed us how to knit, and helped us with all of our little mistakes. It''s awesome.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2009 8:49:20 PM
Author: Rachie
When I first started knitting, I first learned how to knit dishcloths. I really like making them and I either keep them or give them away as gifts. This is the pattern that I learned with: Dishcloth Pattern. It''s really easy and I would recommend purchasing the Sugar ''n Cream yarn for them. It''s 100% cotton and you can find it at Michael''s, Joann Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, Meijer, etc. You can usually get 2 rags out of one skein. Oh, I also would recommend using Bamboo needles. I just prefer them over the plastic or metal ones. Happy Knitting!!
1.gif

I gave away about 30 of those for Christmas, only I made them as potholders, using about size 3 needles (the smaller needle makes for a denser fabric that can work as a "light duty" potholder.) I gave coordinated sets of 2 to close friends and family, and added a crochet hanging hook on one end. Peaches and cream yarn is the same as sugar n'' cream, and they have a wonderful collection of solids and variegated yarns available online (it is more expensive online than on sale at Joann''s etc, but sometimes it''s worth it to get just the right color combo''s
2.gif
).

However, I''d use Rachie''s pattern, with the larger needles, if you''re looking for a starter project. If you do want to try the potholder later, I''d suggest investing in a pair of "turbo adi" circular needles with lace tips. The cotton yarn can be a bit harder to work with because -- unlike wool or acrylic -- it has very little "give." The super-slick turbo needles really help if you''re working with a smaller stitch.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results