shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique e-ring help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wandamas

Rough_Rock
Well for starters I''m glad I''m not seeing things.

I absolutely love this ring and if I could get the setting made somewhere I would look for a smaller center stone. The only other thing I would change is for the diamond prong to stop just below the stone and not be a prong. I''ve seen other peoples OECs and it didn''t seem that high but yes SURF I would like a larger table and not as high.

The budget he gave me was 13K

wandamas

Rough_Rock
OK. So I emailed Lang and they told me the price is pretty firm and also that the diamond is an antique cushion cut not an OEC. So this ring is out but I really like the setting so I might buy the ring and return it so I can take a close look at the setting and take lots of pics.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2008 8:46:53 AM
Author: wandamas
OK. So I emailed Lang and they told me the price is pretty firm and also that the diamond is an antique cushion cut not an OEC. So this ring is out but I really like the setting so I might buy the ring and return it so I can take a close look at the setting and take lots of pics.
Maybe you can e-mail the existing photos to another jeweler and see if they can replicate the setting and maybe tweak it to how you want it. Is there a restocking fee if you return it? I think I came across a similar setting yesterday on-line (maybe on eBay, I''ve been looking at bands), but it didn''t have the 4 extra round stones within the shanks and I think the stone was set a lot lower. I''ll try to find that one again. If I do, I''ll post it here.

wandamas

Rough_Rock
I''ve started that process LV - I''m going to my bosses jeweler this week with a photo and see what he can do with just that he''s also dealt with antiques so I can work with him on getting the stone. There is a fee for shipping and insurance that is not returnable when you return the ring so I guess it would cost me like $75 to see it in person.

I think I''ve seen the ring you are talking about. The stone does sit pretty low which is what I''m not too fond of but it is a very similar design. If you run into again please post the link

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a good plan.

This might have been the one I saw last night, but now that I look at the Lang ring again, they are not really so similar:

ebay ring

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
wanda, a few things...

1. The difference between your budget and that ring is about $4000. Would you be able/willing to put up the difference to get that ring? Think about that option.

2. The reason it looks similar to the ring on Single Stone is that SS fabricates a LOT of the reproduction settings that the highest end antique shops use for their stones. If you really love that setting, may I suggest you call Ari at SS today, or email him the photos on the previous page, along with your comments about it being very similar to the one on his main page. He''ll tell you if he made it. If so, it''s in his stock already and he can make up one for you as soon as you find your center stone. If you go that way, I''d just ask Ari to look for a stone for you. Tell him you want more of a Transitional Cut proportion to the center stone (bigger table, shorter crown) and what your TOTAL budget is and let him put together center stone options for you. He''s happy to send out stones for you to see and they''re 100% returnable if you dont love them. If you can swing it, I''d wait til he has a few options to view, and perhaps make a trip to see him in person? He''s a great guy and very willing to work with you to achieve what you want within your budget. Call him!

wandamas

Rough_Rock
LV thanks for the link. I do that all the time, I run home to show the bf that I found a similar setting and he will look at it and go that is totally different, you must not want the ring enough I''m not going to get it for you

Surf - Spending the extra 4K is not something I would do on a stone I''m not particularly fond of. I really don''t think we could spend the extra cash because then come the wedding bands and before you know it the whole thing is at 25K and I stop and think, "I could have finished my basement for the same amount of $$"

However, I will be calling singlestone asap. Thanks for the input. I will def. mention the proprtion and diamond cut info to him because the one shown on lang was not what I wanted at all.
38.gif

wandamas

Rough_Rock
I emailed Ari at singlestone but have not heard anything back yet? I realize that I have chosen the unfortunate time of Valentine''s Day to do my ring search which is not the greatest idea. Is singlestone usually quick at returning emails or are phone calls better? And is there a typical busy time or days they are closed?

Thanks for any help.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Just call Ari and talk to him directly. He could have had a busy few days...And ask to talk to him specifically.

wandamas

Rough_Rock
YEAH!! Ari emailed me back that singlestone did make this setting and even gave me a model # and a pic of it. I''m soooo excited. Its very reasonably priced and its more comforting knowing that I''m getting the setting from the original source than having it replicated somewhere local.

I''m soo happy
21.gif
36.gif
21.gif

The next step is to start searching for a stone. I''m sure I''ll have tons of questions then too. I''ll keep everyone posted!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Cool...this is the one in the Lang site? Did you talk to Ari about sourcing a loose stone?

wandamas

Rough_Rock
Surf yes its the one from Langs! They actually have a few variations of the ring available but they are the original source and he even sent me pic of the setting on its own.

I also spoke to him about getting the diamond and he already sent me a few details on some. They are pretty pricey so I might not get a stone as big as I wanted. It seems like a reasonable 1.5 H or I VS2 or SI1 and "good" symmetry is running around 11-13K plus the setting!!
22.gif

I don''t know if the stones are priced normally or if they cost more because the are all certified. I don''t know I feel like I"m going to have an anxiety attack trying to pick a stone
32.gif

Mvc-_TR100-B[1].jpg

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think you should ask him to send photos of a variety of stones, along with their basic 4Cs, and you can post them here and we''ll try to help narrow it down. Then you can buy 1-2 and have him send to you so you can see them first and choose? Unless you live near LA or can make a trip to LA....

wandamas

Rough_Rock
OK. I''m not sure if this is going to post twice because I got an error the first time.

Surf - Thanks for the advise and all of your help. I will get some info on the diamonds and post them so you and the rest of the PSers can guide me. I might be able to swing 1 trip into LA but I''m not sure since I"m all the way in New Jersey.

Sorry about the big pic in the old post. I didn''t realize it was going to display so GRAND

wandamas

Rough_Rock
Ok. I''m working on getting photos but here are the details of the ones I''ve got info on so far....

1.28 I VS1 EGL certified OEC 7.02x6.88x4.14 Polish-good Sym-good $8,000

1.27 H VS1 EGL certified OEC 6.88x6.78x3.96 Polish-good Sym-good $9,000

1.54 J SI1 EGL certified OEC 7.27x7.14x4.52 Polish-good Sym-good $8,900

1.58 H VS2 EGL certified OEC 7.23x7.37x4.62 63d-53t Polish-good Sym-good $11,500

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Let''s step back for a minute wanda...What is your budget for the ring in total and how much is the setting going to cost? That''s the better way to go into looking for a stone. No sense in asking to see it all if it isn''t really within your budget, right?

That said, IF you can swing it, I''d say definitely decide what you want to see, and ask Ari to get in at least 10 stones for you in your price range, then plan your trip to LA. MUCH easier to choose if you can contrast/compare in person. And Ari''s shop is like stepping into a wonderful confection of a jewelry box. You can easily spend all day there. You could fly out on Friday, go see him Sat. and fly home Sunday. And he''ll just ship the ring when it''s finished. Et viola! So far, you''re considering EGL stones and I think you should also ask what he''s got in the way of GIA stones.

Also, you should contact Old World Diamonds in NYC and Michael Goldstein in NYC. Both carry only old stones and someone here just bought from Old World and was very pleased with the experience. You have NYC at your fingertips so I''d also be looking there. And dont forget the estate/antique jewelry shops near where you live.

wandamas

Rough_Rock
Surf- My budget most def. can''t surpass the 13K. I know what my budget what I don''t know is if I''m paying fair price for a stone. Meaning if the stone that is 11.5 is realisticly worth 9K than I will search for it elsewhere perhaps in NYC. But if I understand that 11.5 is fair price for a 1.5 H-I VS1 stone than I know either to go to a lower stone or try to get my budget raised.

Is SS able to set a stone I find elsewhere in a setting without a problem. I''m not sure how that would work.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I dont think it's a problem to send them a stone, but I think in the end, if you can find one from them it'll be easier on you because you wont have to ship stones here and there, yes? I'd go see the folks in NYC, then make a trip to go to LA and plan to see several choices when you're at SS. Another reason to look closer to you, just for reference, is to feel comfortable with SS's pricing. I'm sure Ari's giving you the best prices he can, but if you take the stats of his stones and look online at Old World Diamonds, you can see how your pricing stacks up and thus, feel more confident that you're getting a good price, yes? Also, it would help if you looked in person closer to you if only to determine if you are color sensitive or not. Old stones face up differently than new RBs so it would help for you to know what color range you really want to be in, right? Then it makes it easier to tell Ari what grade you really are looking for. If you can get Ari to email you photos of the stones he has now, perhaps we can help you narrow something down without as much looking around. Up to you!

ETA: Is the 13k for the stone or the ring total? If so, how much is left after the price of the ring? That way we can look from that perspective. I've no idea which of the above SS stones are in your budget or not...

wandamas

Rough_Rock
Surf- you are absolutely right. I am going to head to some shops if anything just to get an idea or the various shades and clarities and things like that. I know that every stone is unique but you can never be too educated on stones. Then I can have an idea of what I can afford and what to expect for the different prices.

13K is for the total ring. The setting will be approx. 3K so that leaves me with 1K for a ring.

wandamas

Rough_Rock
What is "cutlet"? and what is a good cutlet....small,med, large?

I tried to do some research
34.gif
but I still dont'' quite understand.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
A culet refers to the bottom point of the stone. It was typical in old cuts that they used to cut off the pointy bottom and that''s what is called an "open culet". That''s what looks like an open "hole" when you look through the top table down into the stone. You''ll always see a hole, which really is the open culet. It''s not good or bad, just how old stones are. Have you looked at anything in NYC yet?

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Open cutlets are sooo cool. So is S. Stone--but I''m partial as they have done my last 2 pieces. I am thrilled with them all-around.

wandamas

Rough_Rock
Thanks surf. I have not been able to get into NYC because I was snowed in last Friday when I intended on going and this week as been hell at work
29.gif

Now my BF was put on a project that is going to have him working crazy hours and weekends so I think I''m going to have to go browsing solo. I hope to go next week and a few of the places in NY that I was going to go to are by appointment only so even if I get a break in the middle of the day I can''t just show up in the city unexpected.

Kelly - I am very anxious to work with Single Stone I just need to educate my self on stones and do a little shopping around before I proceed with either diamonds from SS or one that I buy and they put in their setting.

wandamas

Rough_Rock
I am going to the city soon and plan on looking at this ring well the stone on the ring. They are willing to sell it seperately and it seems to meet the generic standards in color, carat and clarity. I obviously need a hell of alot more info because its not certified and I know better than to trust any inhouse appraisal so if this looks like a nice stone what should I do next. Buy it make sure its refundable and get it appraised, have them certify it.....what? What should I expect from getting a stone that was already set on a ring??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4981751483&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
wanda, that ebay ring is neither an real "antique" nor is it "really worth $20,000." I''ll eat my hat if it''s a "VS1" too. The price they''re asking is about what you''d get at SS and there, you''d be more assured you''re getting what the tag says in terms of grade. If you feel the need to look at that ring go for it, but I''d advise against it honestly. There are too many reputable old stone dealers in the NYC area that you dont need to go ebay...just my gut feeling.

wandamas

Rough_Rock
Surf- I would never buy from ebay I planned on stopping at the store while I browsed around the city at different stones. SS is offering stones in the range of 1.28 - 1.5 H-I for 9-10K so I thought this might be a good buy if and only if it really is an OEC with good color, symmetry etc which would need to be confirmed by David Atlas or anothe reputable appraiser. Again I would NOT be purchasing this online I would need to go to the store have it appraised or brought somewhere before I would consider it.

I am going to go to the city to look at other old stone places but figured I had nothing to lose if I stopped at this jeweler and took a look. I am still compiling a list because while there are plenty of jewelers in NYC there aren''t that many that offer loose antique stones that are visible to the public. Old World Diamonds is thru the internet only even though they are in the city and Michael Goldstein is thru dealers only.

This whole process is really annoying and I''m just about ready to go to costo or zales and get a cheap ring.
38.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Did you call and speak with Michael Goldstein directly? Because when I was going to go to NY to find a stone, I called him and he was very open to seeing me. Likewise with Old World Diamonds, someone here recently went in to see them, IIRC. You could also call Fred Leighton and ask if they have loose stones.

The thing about getting an old cut is that it IS a process to find the right stone. It''s not as easy as shopping for a new RB. You can find many RB options anywhere, but you have to have the stomach to keep on looking until you find "the one" if you really have your heart set on an old cut (and honestly, you haven''t been looking all that long)...If you''re that unhappy with the process of trying to find an old stone, maybe they''re just not for you?

Oh, you might also call Jon at GOG and talk to him. I think his mother handles the estate/antique jewelry for GOG but he''s told me that he can indeed source old stones for you so if you really cannot get into the above mentioned places to look, as Jon to call in stones for you. He''s quite happy to do that for people and that way, you could look at both the old cuts he brings in, as well as new stones he already has. Happy shopping!

wandamas

Rough_Rock
Surf - You have said a mouthful. This stone might not be for me as beautiful as it is. The process of getting the setting made will take over a month after finding the stone and my patience is running dry. I don''t have much time to take off work to look for a stone and it seems I don''t have the pocket change for a nice size EOC either
7.gif

I think I''m going to have to sit down and reasonably think about what I''m going to do next. I will call the people you mentioned and see what I can come up with. I really do appreciate all the advise you have provided me.

wandamas

Rough_Rock
OK so after a very long day at work I calmed down and spoke with the BF. I contacted OWD & M Goldstein and both have stuff for me to look at it which a step in the right direction. I will be going over some things on Thursday and then we will decide if we really want an OEC if our budget will fit the kind of OEC we want or if we will go with a RB.

wandamas

Rough_Rock
Surf - Thanks for the contacts in the city. I went to see both Michael and OWD yesterday and they had a great selection. I saw some great looking H, I and even J''s that were pretty white. I learned plenty on the clarity and how even some SI1 have imperfections that are hard to find thru 10x magn. So now instead of narrowing down it seems like my search options have widened. I don''t see us making a decision anytime soon with the plethora of options we have within our budge.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results