shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Friend Engaged...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 12:22:41 PM
Author: misskitty

Date: 5/19/2009 3:42:27 AM
Author: Smurfyimproved

Date: 5/15/2009 10:39:55 AM

Author: ringless

Misskitty and Absolut-Blonde, I totally understand what you mean about FB status''s! lol It also irks me when friends who are engaged say things like ''So stressed with wedding planning, wish I could elope!''.. it''s comments like that which make me upset. If I was in that position I would be ECSTATIC and not complaining about planning one of the most happy days of my life!

While I completely understand the whole getting lapped thing (I''ve been there and it''s definitely not fun) that doesn''t mean that people who are engaged shouldn''t be able to post on facebook if they are stressed. Sometimes we need a pick me up too, I mean, just read bww and you''ll see lol. I know I try not to post things like this on facebook but once in a while I do and I don''t feel bad about it...

Oh, I don''t get annoyed at the occasional post (especially right after the engagement -- I''m not going to begrudge anyone their excitement!), and I certainly think brides are entitled to vent their stress. I''m talking about the girls whose statuses 4x a day are something along the lines of ''getting Starbucks...wedding in 412 days!'' -- in other words, the ones who can''t seem to breathe without bringing up the wedding. They get the ''hide'' button super fast.
I''m always happy for my friends, even when they complain about wedding planning. :) And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT when guys do countdowns on FB! It is super cute! I''ve seen guys do it for months, everyday! How darling! Maybe one day, when I do elope, they will be jealous of me :) Or maybe they will be too busy with their kids by then...
40.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 12:22:41 PM
Author: misskitty
Date: 5/19/2009 3:42:27 AM

Author: Smurfyimproved

Date: 5/15/2009 10:39:55 AM

Author: ringless

Misskitty and Absolut-Blonde, I totally understand what you mean about FB status''s! lol It also irks me when friends who are engaged say things like ''So stressed with wedding planning, wish I could elope!''.. it''s comments like that which make me upset. If I was in that position I would be ECSTATIC and not complaining about planning one of the most happy days of my life!

While I completely understand the whole getting lapped thing (I''ve been there and it''s definitely not fun) that doesn''t mean that people who are engaged shouldn''t be able to post on facebook if they are stressed. Sometimes we need a pick me up too, I mean, just read bww and you''ll see lol. I know I try not to post things like this on facebook but once in a while I do and I don''t feel bad about it...

Oh, I don''t get annoyed at the occasional post (especially right after the engagement -- I''m not going to begrudge anyone their excitement!), and I certainly think brides are entitled to vent their stress. I''m talking about the girls whose statuses 4x a day are something along the lines of ''getting Starbucks...wedding in 412 days!'' -- in other words, the ones who can''t seem to breathe without bringing up the wedding. They get the ''hide'' button super fast.

Haha, I get annoyed with people who update every single day too about their weddings, most of those are on hide from me as well. And elledizzy, I didn''t intend to make anyone feel bad and if I did I''m sorry.

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
i don't feel bad at all. i was just MOH for my friend's wedding saturday and her now MIL was going bridezilla (infront of the entire wedding party and photographer and a couple others, pre-ceremony) over many things, most notably the "special napkins" that weren't there and sent her husband on the 30min drive back home to go find them and bring them back.
the best man and i had a good laugh over the napkins when we got our cake. they were little baby-blue paper dessert napkins that just had 2 silver hearts and "james and karen may 16, 2009" on them. fear the special napkins.
6.gif

nope, definitely not ready for that kind of stress yet, i'll happily keep my LIWitis.
oh and both the bride and groom are just a year out of high school. i had some serious LIWitis at first when they got engaged, but that quickly went away.

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/14/2009 1:08:12 PM
Author: trillionaire
Actually, there is something that makes me a little jealous... it''s when people haven''t been dating for very long (around a year isn''t that long IMO), and the guy is super excited, runs out and buys a ring and proposes so enthusiastically! I love the idea of a man not being able to wait to get his lady off the market, and that is the only thing that makes me really sad about my long @$$ relationship. I don''t regret waiting, I really don''t, and I wouldn''t have been ready much before now anyway, so it''s a little illogical, but yeah, that makes me jealous, when men CAN''T WAIT! Because clearly my man CAN and is WILLING to wait, and something about that is far less romantic.
40.gif
Trillionaire, I know exactly what you mean! I envy that as well... even though my SO is wonderful (and honestly one of the best men I''ve ever known). The grass is always greener, I suppose.

In other news, I logged on to yet ANOTHER Facebook ''engaged!'' status update. Gah. It''s enough to make me want to delete the stupid thing. Literally, I''d say that someone I know has gotten engaged every 2 weeks or so lately (went to a huge HS and large university, so I have quite a few Facebook friends).

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 10:33:13 PM
Author: absolut_blonde

Actually, there is something that makes me a little jealous... it''s when people haven''t been dating for very long (around a year isn''t that long IMO), and the guy is super excited, runs out and buys a ring and proposes so enthusiastically! I love the idea of a man not being able to wait to get his lady off the market, and that is the only thing that makes me really sad about my long @$$ relationship. I don''t regret waiting, I really don''t, and I wouldn''t have been ready much before now anyway, so it''s a little illogical, but yeah, that makes me jealous, when men CAN''T WAIT! Because clearly my man CAN and is WILLING to wait, and something about that is far less romantic.
40.gif
Trillionaire, I know exactly what you mean! I envy that as well... even though my SO is wonderful (and honestly one of the best men I''ve ever known). The grass is always greener, I suppose.

In other news, I logged on to yet ANOTHER Facebook ''engaged!'' status update. Gah. It''s enough to make me want to delete the stupid thing. Literally, I''d say that someone I know has gotten engaged every 2 weeks or so lately (went to a huge HS and large university, so I have quite a few Facebook friends).
I did think that Grey''s Anatomy last week was really cute, with Meredith and Derek. I guess you can still be together for a long time and still be romantic, spontaneous and cute. I told SO that that was how it was supposed to be, and he looked at me like I had lost my mind and said that it was a tv show, not Real Life.
15.gif
He asked me what would happen if he said let''s go to the courthouse tomorrow, and I said, then we''d be at the courthouse tomorrow! He laughed. That was two days ago. We have still NOT been to the courthouse...
20.gif

12.gif

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 10:33:13 PM
Author: absolut_blonde

40.gif

haha absolut! I swear, every week in the month of May one of my friends'' facebook status would change to "engaged." I''m crossing my fingers that next week I''ll get to change mine...but i guess that''s not up to me to decide. being a LIW is maddening but at least we can all go nutso together
26.gif

NicaK

Rough_Rock
Trade
I''m feeling the same way. I have 3 friends who got engaged this month. In my group of friends it''s me and one other girl that are not engaged. My BF bought the ring today and said he wants a summer proposal so I hope something is coming soon. Good Luck ladies and I hope to read some proposal stories soon.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I understand! My parents come from a pretty conservative circle of friends...and it feels like every single one of their daughters is either engaged or about to be! They range between the ages of 18-24. Some have been dating for six months!!! I am happy for them all and of course with them all the best, but I cannot help feeling a little jealous. And also a little peeved because they are setting a precedent for me to marry young...Usually their FI''s are older and plan on supporting them entirely. My boyfriend is my age, and we probably won''t finish school for another 4 or 5 years.
7.gif
Oh well! I must remember to be thankful that I have a wonderful, loving, and kind boyfriend at all!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
It always helps me to remind myself that the place I am right here, right now, is somewhere I''ll never go back to once I take that next step - whether it''s a serious relationship engagement, marriage, baby, whatever. Yes, those things are exciting... but so is what I''m doing now. Before I got engaged I would get those little pangs of wanting to be engaged sometimes, but I tried not to let it take away from the experience of "just" being boyfriend/girlfriend... which is something I will never get to experience again (knock on wood!).

It doesn''t go away with engagement, either. There''s always some next step you''ll be thinking about, moving towards. Right now the next thing on our society-defined "to do list" is having a baby. We''re not ready yet, at all, but somehow it''s on my mind just because that''s the next step. I''ve been making a conscious effort not to let that take away from our married-WITHOUT-children status... because that is such a precious time in life that I will NEVER experience again once the bebs are here.

Also, with this "lapping" issue, I''ve discovered that for me it''s less an issue of "we''ve been together longer" and more an issue of "they haven''t been together very long." I still notice and am taken aback when others move at a much faster pace than I was comfortable doing, simply because that''s my own comfort zone and anything outside that range will make me stop and think, "woah." Not in a judgmental way, or jealous way, or comparing way... just plain surprised. I find that most of my feelings of "jealousy" are usually just other emotions that I''m misinterpreting.

Just idle ponderings
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results