shape
carat
color
clarity

Anonymity can turn people nasty

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 3:38:53 PM
Author:TravelingGal
I know there are some on here who don''t believe people would actually be like this - but apparently it does happen.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26837911/
Oh I''d believe it. In fact, there are a few on here I''ve wondered about...
9.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I was on theknot.com and there was a woman that was just nasty. I started seeing her profile (no pics just info) and wondered if that was my former neighbor. Then when I heard the details of her wedding from her directly, I knew that was her. Unbelievable.

If I had money to quit my job and just do research all day long, I would research the affects of the internet on the mind. People hide behind their screennames and people take comments off of the internet very seriously even though everyone loves to say that "its just the internet."

Off box.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
While I''m not afraid to tell off somebody if they are being stupid to me, I am much more likely to do it from a "faceless" angle too - over the phone, via text, email, whatever. It''s illogical, but it feels more safe, like there will be less retaliation. It''s a Monkey thing?
20.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom, a mild mannered English teacher/grandmother, curses like a sailor when she''s behind the wheel. It''s both shocking and shamefully, a bit entertaining.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh, it''s becoming a pretty big deal here on college campuses. There is a website called Juicy Campus, where you can post anything you''d like to anonymously, and then anyone can comment on that post anonymously. So, people are revealing all sorts of nasty things about their enemies, an ex boyfriend, or even their best friend. It''s very ugly and cowardly. I already know about 30 people who have been targeted on there. You can''t defend yourself or anything. There are just no words...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a bummer, huh? I''ve read quite a few nasty posts on every website I''ve posted on. Some people are simply cowards who express their opinions behind screens that shield them from "REAL LIFE" where if they had made such comments, they''d risk possibly being punched in the face.
6.gif
Yikes, I cannot believe I just posted THAT! Nobody knows who I am, however, so I''m okay.
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m actually meaner in PERSON.
9.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Thank goodness most of the forums/communities I frequent are generally nice. When there are nasty posts, I always wonder if it''s just online or if that''s how they are in person. But I would never know. I also wonder if our society had just become more rude over the years, and the anonymity just promotes it more. I usually avoid nasty threads and posts, and not feed the fire.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 4:13:13 PM
Author: TravelingGal
9.gif

I am too.
11.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
9.gif

I highly doubt that T-Gal.
9.gif

Linda

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 4:58:21 PM
Author: Linda W

9.gif

9.gif

Linda
Ha, you''re just someone who is kind enough to believe the best about everyone.
2.gif

But yeah, I am. Not necessarily meaner, but just as (f not more) blunt as I am on PS. It''s usually tempered with a bit of humor (not too much different from my PS persona, I guess) but it''s still very frank nonetheless.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
TGal - me too!!!

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I''m basically the same online as off. However, if you''re someone I don''t care for, you may think I''m meaner in real life. If you''re someone I do care for, you probably think I''m nicer in real life. I feel I give people way more benefit of the doubt online because I know confusion can occur with the written word. We''re lacking the facial expressions and tones to go with them.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 3:50:39 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 9/24/2008 3:38:53 PM
Author:TravelingGal
I know there are some on here who don't believe people would actually be like this - but apparently it does happen.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26837911/
Oh I'd believe it. In fact, there are a few on here I've wondered about...
9.gif
Some people take "posts" and comments a bit tooooooo seriously (psycho-analyzing everything). If someone attacks me online, I have no problem telling them EXACTLY how I feel...and would do the same in person! It's funny how some people (online) leave a bad taste in your mouth, and I can just picture what they look like in real life, and why it is they act the way they do online (insecure, no confidence, lack of self-esteem..sorry now my Psyc. degree is taking over)!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 5:15:43 PM
Author: MoonWater
I''m basically the same online as off. However, if you''re someone I don''t care for, you may think I''m meaner in real life. If you''re someone I do care for, you probably think I''m nicer in real life. I feel I give people way more benefit of the doubt online because I know confusion can occur with the written word. We''re lacking the facial expressions and tones to go with them.
I think you may have hit on something there . . . we can''t convey our ''tone'' accurately sometimes, or convey the humor we may have about someone''s post and our response. Subtlety and irony, along with mild-mannered sarcasm can be misunderstood. A lot.

But out and out profanity
38.gif
, degrading or slanderous posts about people
7.gif
, or screaming over a telephone at some hapless customer service rep somewhere
6.gif
are just ridiculous behaviors that should appall everyone.

Notice how I didn''t address behind-the-wheel behavior . . . .
9.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I''m definitely more frank in person than I am on here. Many times I make a concious effort to tone down what I post here because I''m not opposed to the "spirit" of support here on PS. I admit there have been times I wanted to post what I was really thinking, and I know in real life I would say it
9.gif

No one has ever punched me in the face yet. If you ask for advice, I think you should get honesty. Most people are good enough at self delusion without encouragement
2.gif

I''m sure there are some people who are meek in real life that welcome the opportunity to express themselves on the net. It lets their alterego have a say. Personally I think they should learn to get it out face to face, but they are what they are.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m the same online as I am in IRL.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 5:46:14 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I''m definitely more frank in person than I am on here. Many times I make a concious effort to tone down what I post here because I''m not opposed to the ''spirit'' of support here on PS. I admit there have been times I wanted to post what I was really thinking, and I know in real life I would say it
9.gif

No one has ever punched me in the face yet. If you ask for advice, I think you should get honesty. Most people are good enough at self delusion without encouragement
2.gif

I''m sure there are some people who are meek in real life that welcome the opportunity to express themselves on the net. It lets their alterego have a say. Personally I think they should learn to get it out face to face, but they are what they are.
Ohhh..you and I would get along JUST perfectly in the real world Purrfectpear!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m nicer online.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 6:31:35 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I''m nicer online.

Me too.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 4:58:21 PM
Author: Linda W

9.gif

9.gif

Linda
You shouldn''t....she bites!!!
2.gif

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I think I''m more direct online. I''m usually very conscious of whom I''m speaking to in person. I will try to be more gentle if they are a more sensitive person etc. Online, though, the dynamic is different so I usually say what I''m thinking and hope that the person I''m speaking with understands that I am being direct and honest.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
The website I mentioned, Juicy Campus, is beyond anything I''ve ever seen on the knot or any other website. It is completely, totally, 100% anonymous and there are no moderators or administrators. There are horrible topics that I wouldn''t dare even say on here. A couple of girls in my sorority house are on suicide watch because of the things said about them on this website.

I just don''t understand the need to talk about people like that. If I have a problem with someone I''ll air it out with them and be honest. But, apparently, there are plenty of people with unresolved issues being extremely catty and cowardly there. It makes me sick.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I am probably nicer online too or at least more polite (in most threads). There are times I want to say something but don''t (b/c often times the OP doesn''t want to hear the truth). There are certain people''s threads I just ignore b/c I simply don''t like them.
3.gif
But the threads I frequent regularly (Like the mommy thread) I think I am the same online as in person. Does that make sense?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 10:06:29 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I think I am probably nicer online too or at least more polite (in most threads). There are times I want to say something but don''t (b/c often times the OP doesn''t want to hear the truth). There are certain people''s threads I just ignore b/c I simply don''t like them.
3.gif
But the threads I frequent regularly (Like the mommy thread) I think I am the same online as in person. Does that make sense?

Yes it does Tacori, you are always a sweetheart.

Linda

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
3.gif
You, Skippy, and SDL are the sweetest people anywhere! We are lucky to have the three of you with us here on PS.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 10:34:02 PM
Author: HollyS

3.gif

You, Skippy, and SDL are the sweetest people anywhere! We are lucky to have the three of you with us here on PS.

Even though I said I am meaner in person?!? Haha!
17.gif
I think it helps I am at a good place in my life. Thanks Linda and Holly. Linda you are always so kind and Holly I love your honesty (and you are a Tacori lover!)

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 9:57:06 PM
Author: OUpeargirl
The website I mentioned, Juicy Campus, is beyond anything I''ve ever seen on the knot or any other website. It is completely, totally, 100% anonymous and there are no moderators or administrators. There are horrible topics that I wouldn''t dare even say on here. A couple of girls in my sorority house are on suicide watch because of the things said about them on this website.

I just don''t understand the need to talk about people like that. If I have a problem with someone I''ll air it out with them and be honest. But, apparently, there are plenty of people with unresolved issues being extremely catty and cowardly there. It makes me sick.

I had to go find this site after reading your posts, and omg. Wow. But HAHAHA too.
Yes, I am a terrible person but...LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results