shape
carat
color
clarity

Afghan tourmaline rough is now cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Through Blithsome (thanks Blith!!
35.gif
), I found a wonderful lapidary out of California. For a very long time now, I had this 15 carat piece of Afghan tourmaline scope green rough that I bought on ebay. I could not find anyone to cut it. People would either not want to cut it, or were a bit tepid touching a Afghan stone (they cleave easily). It was a very pretty minty color but it languished as a piece of rough. I know some crystal collectors will sigh when they hear I cut it because of the superb termination, but I felt it was more valuable as a cut stone. This photo was taken with my old camera and I have to say my new camera just cannot photograph green stones and get much blue out of them, or it does too much blue.

tourmaline_rough.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't wince, but I know this looks like a washed out yellow green peridot, but the stone has way more blue in it than my camera can capture. I have the toughest time with green stones, it's unbelievable, but I think this photo shows off the wonderful faceting work. The crown is very high, and there are 65 facets. It has several table facets, and a small round table in the middle. With the high crown and small table, it sparkles more like a garnet than a tourmaline. It's just beautiful. 4.46 cts and 9.4 mm. He got over 34% of yield on the rough, which is impressive. The cut is called Fuego Verde. There's an inclusion along the left edge, but it doesn't distract me.

TLafghan_recut1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best I could do at capturing more of the true color. *sigh*

TLafghan_cut_blue.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The small table is evident in this shot. I wish I could show you the table facets. This is a complex cut, and really something else. I don''t get into precision cutting, but it''s really a work of art on this finished stone.

TL_afghan_cut_table.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a far away shot, and no, my skin is not that yellow. My camera just is terrible with white balance, and also makes the stone look more yellow, but at least here you can get an idea of the size of it and the sparkle.

TLafghan_cut_far.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I''m just speechless - that is a SPECTACULAR tourmaline! And that last photo is one of your best yet! Keep taking pics - I wanna see a lot more of this beauty.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It''s a great size and seriously sparkly! I admit the rough is so pretty that I can see why someone wouldn''t want to cut into it ( I mean look at it!) But it looks great cut. Who did it?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2010 9:41:12 PM
Author: cellentani
I''m just speechless - that is a SPECTACULAR tourmaline! And that last photo is one of your best yet! Keep taking pics - I wanna see a lot more of this beauty.
OMG Cell, you''ve got to be kidding. That photo is HORRIBLE, and doesn''t come close to the true color. It''s a minty bluish green, and it looks like a tepid washed out peridot in there. Think merelani mint garnet color. It looks a lot one with all that fabulous faceting work. Thanks for the compliment though, but the photo is pititful next to the Queen of gem photography here.
2.gif

IrisAccents

Shiny_Rock
Wow! The sparkle on that stone is gorgeous!!!

Is it something you are planning to set?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2010 9:42:13 PM
Author: innerkitten
It's a great size and seriously sparkly! I admit the rough is so pretty that I can see why someone wouldn't want to cut into it ( I mean look at it!) But it looks great cut. Who did it?
Thanks IK, I mentioned his website two posts up. He has fabulous photos of examples of his work. His price was very reasonable too. I'm thrilled with this stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2010 9:48:43 PM
Author: IrisAccents
Wow! The sparkle on that stone is gorgeous!!!

Is it something you are planning to set?
Yup, yellow gold too!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering when we were going to see the results..sigh..poor terminated crystal
2.gif
..looks good..hard to tell on those closeup shots...LOL..but the distance shot it looks real good

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the 2nd minty cool picture and hope you'll keep trying to take more pictures. I want to see the details of the facet work as I can tell that it is super sparkly.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
love the hand shot of your new stone!

mz

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FINALLY!!! Some true color shots!! I did some auto-white balance measure thing on my camera, put it in a gem box, and voila, true to life color I almost fell off the chair when I saw these shots. They''re fuzzy, but at least it''s true to the real color of the stone I remember Mochi, who has the same camera as I do, had the darndest time taking a true to life shot of a merelani mint garnet with similar coloring, and all her shots looked like grey green. Finally, when she put it in a gem box, she was able to get a true color shot I don''t know why this is, but oh well.

TLminty_recut1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here a better photo of the facet pattern. That's the inclusion on the top. He preserved color and weight over clarity as I asked him to.

TL_minty_recut2_faceting.JPG

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
Wowza. I LOVE the color! It''s gorgeous, TL.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another shot of the faceting pattern with a bit more light on it. Chrono, you better thank me for these new shots later!!
2.gif
I didn't want you to think I had a yellow grey peridot.

Thanks Amguy, MZ, and Kayla!

TL_afghan_facet_pattern_recut.JPG

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
The cut is really fab on that stone and your new pictures make the color look pretty too! Very sparkly! Glad you found someone willing to cut the rough.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am thrilled with the whole idea of cutting the rough - I saw many nice specimen on ebay but was afraid of buying it with an idea to cut. I think the cut stone is gorgeous.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
that is sensational TL!
30.gif

great job by your cutter

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so jealous now TL, that is an amazing stone
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does this mean that you’ll never have anymore issues with photographing green and pink gemstones? Nice minty scope wash colour but your pictures are too fuzzy. I insist on a hand shot now that you have the white balance figured out.
11.gif
9.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that one''s a beauty! Looking forward to seeing your plans for it.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you took another stab at photos - the color looks awesome, nice and minty! Do you have a setting picked out already?

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful color on the tourmaline! Wow. Do you have any ideas for settings? I think this one deserves something special!
1.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am glad you finally had that rough cut (I am clearly not a collector of specimens!). It came out beautifully.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Wow, love the colour & the cut of your tourmaline!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! That''s a complete stunner TL!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results